Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 9th Feb 10, 9:52 AM
    • 5,900Posts
    • 32,806Thanks
    InaPickle
    'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread
    • 9th Feb 10, 9:52 AM
    'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread 9th Feb 10 at 9:52 AM
    If you are anything like me you have bought lots of books you liked the look of while they were on 3-for-2's or other special offers etc., but haven't quite got round to reading them yet, and the chances are that you are adding to your collection at a rate of knots. Putting our MSE-hats on, we know this is not very frugal, and also not very space-savvy as books take up quite a lot of room. As a result (and thanks to the idea of the lovely girls on the 'No buying toiletries in February challenge!' which works in a similar way to this one, only with toiletries), I've decided to make this thread in which I vow not to buy any more books until I have read all the ones I own.

This will take quite some time as I have a big box of lovely, unread books next to my bed, and not a lot of time in which to read them. However, I can also read books which I have borrowed off libraries/other people, or, if I sell a book on a website like greenmetropolis.com, I can buy another one to read instead (prefereably for not more than I was paid for the book I just sold). Overall, the number of unread books I own should not increase from the start to the end of the challenge. (I'll do the maths tomorrow before work as there is not enough time today.)

On the up side, we could include a little book review and say what we thought to our latest read.

I will start: my name is Pickle and I own FAR too many unread books. I am currently 2/3 of the way through 'The Code of the Woosters' by P.G. Wodehouse (library lend), and it is very funny so far.

Who is with me on this one?!

EDIT: list of places to buy/sell/swap books (with help from Niccatw )

Sites to sell your books on...
    http://www.greenmetropolis.com/index2.asp Very high standards...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/sell-your-stuff.html Always handy...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk
    Sites to swap your books on...
    http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx
    http://www.bookhopper.com/ You can chose which country suits you best. And it’s easy to browse their library
    http://bookmooch.com/ Great points system but a lot of American members who aren’t always willing to send to the UK
    http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
    http://www.titletrader.com/
    Bookcrossing...
    http://www.bookcrossing.com/ You give your book a number and then as it moves from one person to another, you can go online and leave a journal entry for the book, to see where it's gone

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 21-06-2016 at 3:30 PM.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

Page 3
    • simpywimpy
    • By simpywimpy 9th Feb 10, 8:54 PM
    • 1,966 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    simpywimpy
    I too love my books and have quite a few waiting to be read but I can never read one twice. When my hubby moved from France he brought boxes of his old books with him and I swear Ive never seem him lift one off the shelf in 9yrs!

Car boot here they come
  • yellowduck
    love this thread, I thought it was just me, I am not alone, what a fab feeling!!. Does anyone else have upstairs and downstairs books? Downstairs I am reading a biography of Gram Parsons, a cookery book and dipping into a poetry book and upstairs is the current thriller. My other guilty secret is the Ikea bookcase still waiting to be assembled to go in the spare room as a home to all my books that are currently stuffed in the box under my bed. I have to read every day, I would feel deprived if I didn't, it is almost as necessary as food to me.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th Feb 10, 10:05 PM
    • 16,482 Posts
    • 28,857 Thanks
    Ames
    I live in a flat, but I have bedroom and living room books, although they sometimes get swapped over.

I've got 6 shelves and one small bookcase to get put up, meanwhile books are stacked and piled up all over the place! My sister's supposed to be helping me, but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay a handyman. But I keep thinking of how many books I could buy with that money...
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • terri72
    • By terri72 9th Feb 10, 10:20 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    terri72
    What a great thread. I have loads of books - read & unread.
    If my husband catches me with a new book, his eyes roll as if to say our book case can't take any more.

I have a few registered on the following sites
    http://www.greenmetropolis.com
    http://readitswapit.co.uk
    and have just joined
    http://www.bookhopper.com
    so will be spending my weekend, loading a few books on there.

I love thrillers & crime and am currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member 015 - Target £50 (2015=£70; 2014=£74.40; 2013=£61.76; 2012=£82.50)
    The Official DFW Nerd Club Member # 1063
    Proud to have dealt with my debts - DMP with Payplan Started 11/08 Ended 11/14 Est. Debt £27,681
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th Feb 10, 10:29 PM
    • 16,482 Posts
    • 28,857 Thanks
    Ames
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is on my book club list for this year, but I don't think it's till the end of the year.

I tried GM, but their standards are really high - I got a low mark for one five for another, then cancelled an order because the book had got curved while it was stored. So I sold two books and have very little chance of selling any more. I've sold a couple on Amazon and that seems to be a lot better, but slower.

• mineallmine
    Hey InaPickle great to see you set up this thread! I am getting my book thing under better control but it's still not great. I have an (upstairs) book to read about Decluttering...the Life Laundry...hee hee.

As well as selling books I guess it'd be useful to think of other ways to donate/dispose of them with love and care such as local hospital family rooms, um. Ooh help can't think of others. I guess the local charity shops always welcome them. I love reading I really don't understand why I don't read books more.

I have found that using my local library more has saved me loads of money. I take a look at a site like Amazon, see what is highly rated or in their Top Ten then order it from the library. Sometimes I have to wait quite a bit, but that makes it more exciting. A couple of books recently were disappointing - and ironically the covers looked really good. So one never can judge a book by its cover...
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
    • tara747
    • By tara747 9th Feb 10, 10:45 PM
    • 10,073 Posts
    • 26,614 Thanks
    tara747
    I'll join... I have sooo many books (mostly 50p bargains from the charity shop) and dream of having the time to read them all!
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £120,000 by 31 Dec 2017! Dec 2011: £54,342 * Dec 2012: £62,200 * Dec 2013: £74,127 * Dec 2014: £84,839 * Dec 2015: £95,207 * Dec 2016: £109,122
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,109.36
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th Feb 10, 11:06 PM
    • 16,482 Posts
    • 28,857 Thanks
    Ames
    I hate the library! I once went into the main city one with a list of about 100 books, they had about 4 but two of them no-one could find, and could only order in about another half dozen. And they weren't obscure ones either, they were mainly classics. Besides, if I had to order them in it'd cost 50p, so I might as well buy them for 25p from a car boot sale.

I love the idea of hospital rooms though, I go to the immunology clinic and there's often ones in the treatment room I want to read, I'm just there for tests at the moment though. I also sometimes just leave books where they'll be loved by someone else - I went to Venice last month and left a book set there in the hostel I stayed at.

• gilligansyle
    • By gilligansyle 9th Feb 10, 11:19 PM
    • 4,105 Posts
    • 22,135 Thanks
    gilligansyle
    I I also sometimes just leave books where they'll be loved by someone else - I went to Venice last month and left a book set there in the hostel I stayed at.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Place I stayed in Spain last year had a library made up entirely of books people had brought on holiday with them and left behind. Regulars even bring a 'spare' book and leave it. I think I've seen something similar in other hotels, especially if they get a lot of English speakers.

Maybe I will give CCM another go, when I've read everything else.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £114150109032 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 9th Feb 10, 11:24 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 32,806 Thanks
    InaPickle
    As well as selling books I guess it'd be useful to think of other ways to donate/dispose of them with love and care such as local hospital family rooms, um. Ooh help can't think of others. I guess the local charity shops always welcome them. I love reading I really don't understand why I don't read books more.
    Originally posted by mineallmine
    Of course we should always donate books as well, if we can. I was just thinking that we are on MSE, so we should try to link the thread back to MSE-ness if possible. However, we should try to be nice and remember those of us less fortunate (or more fortunate, if we consider out book OCDs! ) when we can. Charity shops and hospital waiting rooms, here we come!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 9th Feb 10, 11:28 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 32,806 Thanks
    InaPickle
    I've counted the number of books in the box....

...there are eighty three!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• niccatw
    I have found that using my local library more has saved me loads of money. I take a look at a site like Amazon, see what is highly rated or in their Top Ten then order it from the library. Sometimes I have to wait quite a bit, but that makes it more exciting. A couple of books recently were disappointing - and ironically the covers looked really good. So one never can judge a book by its cover...
    Originally posted by mineallmine
    Does any-one else have a "way" of choosing books to read? I tend to flick it open in the middle a couple of times and see if a couple of random paragraphs hold my attention, then I see if the first paragraph holds my attention... if I'm still interested then it's the blurb and finally the cover

Ames - I love the idea of leaving books for people to come across. Has every-one seen this site http://www.bookcrossing.com/ For those days you want to give books away

Inapickle - I did notice you tried to down play how many books were in the box by making it very small. But we're all bookworms here, used to sneakily reading in a dim lighted nooks and crannies here and there, we all noticed

Evidently though you are not the only one and this was a much needed thread! Well done for starting it up for us!
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC 1896.10. 225.55 SLC2 5123.34 0 Others 2085 1000 Bcard 1172.60 0

Mike's Mob

• solventsoon
    • By solventsoon 10th Feb 10, 12:33 AM
    • 17,281 Posts
    • 81,274 Thanks
    solventsoon
    I've counted the number of books in the box....

...there are eighty three!
    Originally posted by InaPickle
    Pickle, if it makes you feel any better, I have a similar number of books waiting to be read.

PLEASE can I join in..... I love books, bookshops, second-hand bookshops, car boots, anywhere I can find a book and please try to keep me out of that book shop beginning with W. I've even resorted to buyings books from Mr Ts recently to feed my addiction as I'm trying to keep away from Mr Ws...

Great tips on here, thanks everyone. Going to try to get organised over the weekend and get some of my collection out to put on Green Metropolis...

Currently reading P D James' The Private Patient and enjoying it very much (it was a Christmas present along with another 6 books , but I didn't buy them so don't feel guilty ..)

ss

PS: I have upstairs and downstairs books as well, the downstairs ones are the more "serious" ones, I read all the chick-lit and thrillers upstairs - why??

PPS: Great thread, Pickle and well-needed by the looks of it!
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 10th Feb 10, 8:18 AM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 32,806 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Inapickle - I did notice you tried to down play how many books were in the box by making it very small. But we're all bookworms here, used to sneakily reading in a dim lighted nooks and crannies here and there, we all noticed
    Originally posted by niccatw

What's worse is that I've been thinking about that box, and there are a considerable number of books which I know I own which are not in it. I can only assume must be in another box in the loft. Now, knowing about how many boxes of read (never mind unread) books are up there, I had better not venture up there for a while!

I'll just have to get on with the ones down here, although I've realised that one is a recipie book (I never read them the whole way through like normal books), and one is the Hachette Wine Guide which will take aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages as well, and really needs treating like a recipie book as well: it's more a reference book, and while I can read the advice about wines and the regions, I'm not trecking through 1000 pages of 'Champagne de Petites-Terres' or whatever the hell is in there.

Having said that, though. I have a shelf for recipie books and I seem to have developed a serious number of those. What is more, I don't think that I've made that many recipies out of any of them. I'm going to make a point of trying to make at least 10 recipies out of any recipe book I own, therefore making the investment worthwhile.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• Ames
    • By Ames 10th Feb 10, 8:56 AM
    • 16,482 Posts
    • 28,857 Thanks
    Ames
    I wouldn't count recipe books either.

To choose what book to read... Well, I always recite the books I haven't read as part of my deep breathing exercises (some people count sheep, I count books...) and as I'm coming to the end of a book I see which one I fancy out of the list, there's usually a short list of 4 or 5, then it's just whichever I find first.

• velocity.girl
    i am awaiting the delivery of 3 books i caved in...i find it ironic that the are all books about decluttering, being thrifty and how to be an EX shopaholic

i think i may have a problem there lol
    Hoping to of finally learned my lesson...slowly but surely
  • velocity.girl
    tho i did only pay £2 for a new book on Priceminister due to having the £5 kelkoo code thing!!!
    Hoping to of finally learned my lesson...slowly but surely
  • bex37
    I've finished the book that I was reading (which incidentally I got through www.readitswapit.co.uk - and I agree it's a great site for getting new books for old but postage can be costly depending on the size of the book) and will be passing it on to a friend to read.

Pickle - If it makes you feel better I've got lots more than that to read, well into three figures I think. In fact I think I've got enough books to keep me going for several years .

I'm in the mood for a light read now so I eventually decided on Practically Perfect by Katie Fforde.
    Debt at LBM (May 2007) - £32,891
    Debt at 06.04.10 - £9158.57. Getting there slowly.

April NSD 1/12
  • Aspiring Writer
    Inapickle, many congratulations! A book thread! and a damn good one at that!

Interesting to read about what people read and their reading and book buying habits. I am shortly off to the MIND charity shop to give them about 50 or so books. I have to be honest I did try selling them but to no avail, bootfair rates seem to be about 50p or so for a paperback, I'd rather give them to MIND and let them make some money out of them.

However, that means I will then feel like I'm allowed to go and treat myself or two new ones. Naughty I know but hey, we all have our guilty pleasures, and books are one of mine.

Incidentally, the read it swap it website is good, though I don't see why we couldn't do a simlilar thing on MSE? Maybe informally on an ad hoc basis rather than working out how to store or view a library, just a thought. It is quite obviously a trust thing but if anyone 'let themselves down' shall I say, well, they wouldn't feel too comfortable posting anything on this forum after that surely?

Anyway, a brilliant thread, lets hope it gets a lot longer....
    "If you are going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill
    • mavvysmum
    • By mavvysmum 10th Feb 10, 12:31 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 940 Thanks
    mavvysmum
    Yeah count me in! I've got loads of books, most of them unread and some I've kept cos I love them so much - like any by Phillippa Gregory and Jodi Picoult...I'll have to count them tonight. The thing is I love reading but dont get much time to read, and keep adding to my collection whenever I go to a charity shop....must stop! Currently reading the Kite Runner, have recently watched the film of it, its really good.
    January make £10/day - £0/£200
    Weight Lost So Far 7lbs - Weight to lose 96lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,694Users online

Martin's Twitter