Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 9th Feb 10, 9:52 AM
    • 5,882Posts
    • 32,689Thanks
    InaPickle
    'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread
    • 9th Feb 10, 9:52 AM
    'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread 9th Feb 10 at 9:52 AM
    If you are anything like me you have bought lots of books you liked the look of while they were on 3-for-2's or other special offers etc., but haven't quite got round to reading them yet, and the chances are that you are adding to your collection at a rate of knots. Putting our MSE-hats on, we know this is not very frugal, and also not very space-savvy as books take up quite a lot of room. As a result (and thanks to the idea of the lovely girls on the 'No buying toiletries in February challenge!' which works in a similar way to this one, only with toiletries), I've decided to make this thread in which I vow not to buy any more books until I have read all the ones I own.

This will take quite some time as I have a big box of lovely, unread books next to my bed, and not a lot of time in which to read them. However, I can also read books which I have borrowed off libraries/other people, or, if I sell a book on a website like greenmetropolis.com, I can buy another one to read instead (prefereably for not more than I was paid for the book I just sold). Overall, the number of unread books I own should not increase from the start to the end of the challenge. (I'll do the maths tomorrow before work as there is not enough time today.)

On the up side, we could include a little book review and say what we thought to our latest read.

I will start: my name is Pickle and I own FAR too many unread books. I am currently 2/3 of the way through 'The Code of the Woosters' by P.G. Wodehouse (library lend), and it is very funny so far.

Who is with me on this one?!

EDIT: list of places to buy/sell/swap books (with help from Niccatw )

Sites to sell your books on...
    http://www.greenmetropolis.com/index2.asp Very high standards...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/sell-your-stuff.html Always handy...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk
    Sites to swap your books on...
    http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx
    http://www.bookhopper.com/ You can chose which country suits you best. And it’s easy to browse their library
    http://bookmooch.com/ Great points system but a lot of American members who aren’t always willing to send to the UK
    http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
    http://www.titletrader.com/
    Bookcrossing...
    http://www.bookcrossing.com/ You give your book a number and then as it moves from one person to another, you can go online and leave a journal entry for the book, to see where it's gone

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 21-06-2016 at 3:30 PM.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: read 11/25, Bought .
    No More Buying DVDs: 38/25; In: 7
    NMB Toiletries GA/TA: 66; In: 78 GRADUATED!
    ~Proud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

Page 207
    • Sundaysgirl
    • By Sundaysgirl 15th Jun 16, 2:02 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 6,256 Thanks
    Sundaysgirl
    Hello all, quick update from me - RL still hectic but making "me time" on my commute at least to read so getting through them at a steady pace.

Finished the Tess Gerritsen then read Rivers of Babylon by Nelson DeMille - took a while to get into but had me gripped by the end! Sad times as I've now read all of his, hurry up August for the next release!

Then I was very naughty a few weeks ago - stumbled across a book sale at the library next to work and picked up 15 books but cost just £4.85 and all in amazing condition. A mix of crime/thriller and chick lit and all will be rehomed once finished. I have already finished Long Lost by Harlen Coben and Saving Grace by Jane Green which were enjoyable quick reads, and am now onto Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond which I'm whizzing through.

Carbootcrazy - I really like Peter James, think I have one or two left of his to read until I am up to date. Enjoy catching up with the series!
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2013: (123) 2014: (76) 2015:(68)
    MFW 2016 #123 2016: £30,230.17/£24,000 MORTGAGE FREE!!!
    No buying unnecessary books: 31/52
    • Faust7
    • By Faust7 16th Jun 16, 11:56 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Faust7
    Update - I finished A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing at the end of last week, then read The Storyteller by Kate Armstrong (on Kindle Unlimited... Not the best choice, but it was alright.)

I've now started Grow Up by Ben Brooks - another KU pick, which might be cheating since I'm technically not reading the books I already have... After that one though I promise to go through my to-read pile! I have far too many non-fiction books I need to read.
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 16th Jun 16, 3:18 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Just delurking to say I have a KU sub and use it a lot. I read a lot in a very niche genre and there is lots of choice on KU within that limited field - I easily make my sub back every single month. Guess it depends what you like

Slips back to lurk mode
    Originally posted by chrissie57
    Hi, that's interesting to know! What's the genre?

I'm still plowing on with The Owl Killers - really enjoying it, but it's amazing how much slower I am reading a physical book as opposed to a kindle book!
    House Deposit:£8689.35/£15,000 = 57.92% Make £5 a day in November: £6.09 October: £7.50September: £8.01August: £76.77July: £89.17June: £23.88 May £63.18

• blindtoast
    • By blindtoast 5th Aug 16, 9:09 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,189 Thanks
    blindtoast
    I have bought and started the new Harry Potter book - good so far.
    No more buying books Books in 2015 = 15.
    Target for 2016 = 17/20
    No more buying DVDs ? 2016 target 52/52! 53/63
    Sealed pot challenge member #1733
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 5th Aug 16, 9:57 AM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 17,631 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Just dropping in after what seems like ages to confess that I've totally fallen off the wagon and have been very naughty of late

I know this is a 'no more buying books' thread and I've bent the rules so I can include books borrowed for free from the library and those loaned to me or passed on by friends.

But I just can't resist the charity table in Tesco or the piles of books at ridiculously cheap prices at tabletop and car boot sales. I've been reading my already owned stockpiles but have succumbed to buying 'bargains' so many times this summer. Sorry

I had a major cull of my books last week and have given 3 charity shops enough potential stock to keep them going for a while. Of course, me being me, I was drawn like a magnet to what they had in their bargain bins and bought several more.

Must do much better!
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2016: Jan-Nov:£2787.65: Dec:£29.00
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £620.00/£3000

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid (on DMP): £29917. Balance: £26887
    Over halfway
    • kezbabybabe
    • By kezbabybabe 17th Oct 16, 7:27 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    kezbabybabe
    Hi everyone,
    I'm still around and reading as much as possible. Still working my way through Lord of the Rings.
    I finished the James Bond series, read Roald Dahl's Short Stories collection, 3 of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, and also read The Light Between Oceans.
    Now currently working my way through the Shadowdance Series by David Dalglish, after reading the first one last year or so.
    SPC Member No. 020 - 2016 total = £43.87
    Cross-stitch Cafe Member no. 19 - Lost Gardens of Heligan Sampler
    Books to read in 2016: 49 (Goodreads challenge 2016: 40/52)
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 17th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 17,631 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi kezbabybabe. Glad someone else is around as the thread seems to be eerily quiet these days. Maybe everyone is taking the exact meaning of the thread's title and have finally read all the books they had already stockpiled

Will try to be back later with details of my own recent reading, although sadly I keep adding to my already-owned books with borrowed library books and charity shop/car boot bargains.

Over halfway
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 19th Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    • 6,584 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Hello! I've been putting my MSE hat back on this week and would like to rejoin you please! Like a lot of you I just can't seem to resist charity shops I'm trying to save money and declutter and this kind of goes hand in hand with both.

I was redecorating over the summer and had to move all of my books, so thought I'd spend a bit of time counting and categorising them. I had over 500 (including recipe books, dictionaries, etc), 15 of which were duplicates (!). 250 were normal fiction 'reading' books: 98 read, 152 unread. I ended up getting rid of 60 and plan to install some lovely shelves in the living room for the rest.

I was aiming to read 25 books in 2016 but I've only read 12 at this stage Currently reading This Must Be The Place by Maggie O'Farrell which is very gripping.
    Get Slinky for Santa Challenge: 3/11 (7/40 in total)
    *Currently reading: H is for Hawk (18/25 in 2016)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 19th Oct 16, 10:21 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    Happygreen
    I'm so glad you rekindled this thread - and welcome, Tete en 'Air.

I've not been doing too well as I gave in to buying quite a few over the last few months.... Many for work/training/learning and a few gardening books and only two cookery books. Listening to podcasts is my downfall as so many times I just have to have that book they talked about! But I bought no novels or fiction! Plenty to catch up with. My next victim is "The Minituarist" which I gave to a friend for her birthday and she gave it back to me to read, lol.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Weight Loss thread - - 10.5 kg - 2 st. Swagbucks £55 AZ, 2nd hand sales £ 11, Cash4Clothes
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 20th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 14,851 Posts
    • 189,685 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Welcome to the new readers, hope everyone is well

I've managed to get through quite a few books off my shelves recently. I've got a big bag to take over to my mums so she can eat them before they get passed on to the CS or her friends.

Currently reading the Italian matchmaker by Santa milaforie (I knew I've spelt the surname wrong the books upstIrs and I've done it from memory)
    So far it's a very good read.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • blindtoast
    • By blindtoast 20th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,189 Thanks
    blindtoast
    I've not been doing very well with books this year - although Goodreads does tell me I'm on track to hit my annual target which is positive!

I've bought a few physical books this year but it's mainly been e-books that has been my downfall - at least these don't take up room on my shelf! I have got a long flight coming up tho so I might be able to read a few on planes to and from holiday.

I am reading The Long Way to a small angry planet at the moment. I'm not usually into spacey books but this one I am thoroughly enjoying. It's more about the characters stories than there being a big plot through the book.
    Target for 2016 = 17/20
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 24th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Morning all, I have been away a while... have kept reading, plugging my way through my bookshelf books, with a few library books and ones specifically bought for book club.

No 20 - Hard Choices - Hilary Rodham Clinton - very interesting considering US Elections at the mo.

No 21 - The Children Hour - Marcia Willett - Fav author

No 22 - The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennett - Audio just fab! Read by the author

No 23 - Glittering Images - Susan Howarth - book club choice - very interesting and I got hooked on the series ( library)

No 24 - Winter in Madrid - C J Sansom - very gripping and thought provoking

No 25 - Pack of lies - Hugh Whitmore - play bought to see if I would direct - based on russian spies in Portland Spy Ring

No 26 - The Wise woman - Phillip Gregory - bought second hand as I am reading PG in order and couldn't get it from the library - its one of her first written - interesting but not as good as her later books ( main characters unknown)

No 27 - The House on Paradise Street - Sofka Zinovieff - bought for book club very well written about Greece civil war and WW2

No 28 - The Bird cage - Marcia Willett

No 29 - Getting On - Alan Bennett - the play I will do!!!

No 30. The mysterious Affair of styles - Agatha Christie

No 31 - The Silent Tide - Rachel Hore - recommended from this thread - really enjoyed this and intro to a new author that I will seek out again (library)

No 32 - Challenging Lifestyle - Nicky Gumbel

No 33 - Dancer of her Feet - Julie Sheldon

Will be back with part 2 - please ask me if you are more interested in any of them
    Mrs B Debt £1677
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 24th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 14,851 Posts
    • 189,685 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Finished the Italian matchmaker by Santa montefoila and got to have and to hold by Anne Bennett off the TBR pile.
    Pile at the mo consists of a couple of boxes of books that won't fit back on the bookcases now we've had a move round. I may have to arrange a sneaky stack under my bedside shelf and make it my goal to read them and release them all next year. Before starting back on the bookcases.

According to goodreads I'm on target but feel like I want to read more as the house is full of books waiting to be read.
    • blindtoast
    • By blindtoast 27th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,189 Thanks
    blindtoast
    Finished The long way to a small angry planet. I thought it was brilliant - there was a basic background plot but it was more about the characters lives and how they deal with the things that they see and do during the journey. Really easy to read despite the different planets and species described throughout, which would usually put me off a book but they were so well written that I found it easy to get lost in the world.
    Target for 2016 = 17/20
    • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    • By BACKFRMTHEEDGE 28th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    I'm Back!

Read a gardening book that I've had lying around.
    Savings Nov 2016 £15,419
    Savings Dec 2016 £15,718

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 4th Nov 16, 4:56 PM
    • 14,851 Posts
    • 189,685 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Read a couple recently, to have and to hold by Anne Bennett and this morning I finished the girls by Lisa Jewel

I like lisa jewel's style of writing but this one was a bit darker than usual. Couldn't put it down as I wanted to know what had happened -it was one of those that starts 3/4 n goes back six months to fill in upto that point then go on to tie up loose ends. Good read but slightly out of my comfort zone as to where I thought the story would end up.
    Last edited by mrs-moneypenny; 04-11-2016 at 5:03 PM.
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 11th Nov 16, 12:31 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Part Two of my 2016 Book Challenge

No 34 - Our Mutual Friend - Charles Dickens

No 35 - Death and the Virgin: Elizabeth, Dudley and the Mysterious Fate of Amy Robert - Chris Skidmore

No 36 - A Whole Life - Robert Seethaler

No 37 - Glamorous Powers - Susan Howarth

No 38 - The Golden Cup - Marcia Willet

No 39 - They came to a city - A play - J B Priestley

No 40 - A Dream to Die For - Nicholas Faulkner

No 41 - Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

No 42 - The Beach Hut - Veronica Henry

No 43 - Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn

No 44 - Echoes of the Dance - Marcia Willetts

No 45 - My New Business: A Busy Womans Guide to Success - Wendy Kerr

My Good Read Target is 55 .... not sure whether I am going to get there....

Nearly finished The Hollow Crown, The wars of the Roses and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones
    Mrs B Debt £1677
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 11th Nov 16, 5:51 PM
    • 14,851 Posts
    • 189,685 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    On a festive read at the mo, a Chrismas chic lit by Miranda Dickinson called it started with a kiss. Enjoying it so far.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th Nov 16, 8:43 PM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 17,631 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    It's great to see this thread has taken off again

I've read a weird and wonderful selection of books this past few months. This has been a combination of my own unread books, charity shop and carboot finds, other people's hand me downs, library books and even some from a batch that I found in a skip. A lot of them are probably not books that I might have chosen if I'd wandered round real bookshops with plenty of money to spend but I've come across some really excellent writers and books that I might never have encountered.

I've almost finished my first Sophie Hannah book, Kind of Cruel, passed on to me by a friend. It's absolutely wonderful. Why have I never read anything by her before? I'm thrilled to see that she has written loads more, a lot of which are available from the library

Over halfway
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 11th Nov 16, 8:50 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    Happygreen
    It's great to see this thread has taken off again

I've almost finished my first Sophie Hannah book, Kind of Cruel, passed on to me by a friend. It's absolutely wonderful. Why have I never read anything by her before? I'm thrilled to see that she has written loads more, a lot of which are available from the library
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    I love Sophie Hannah, next to Susan Hill my favourites atm.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Weight Loss thread - - 10.5 kg - 2 st. Swagbucks £55 AZ, 2nd hand sales £ 11, Cash4Clothes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

4,252Users online

Martin's Twitter