Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 9th Feb 10, 9:52 AM
    • 5,899Posts
    • 32,805Thanks
    InaPickle
    'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread
    • 9th Feb 10, 9:52 AM
    'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread 9th Feb 10 at 9:52 AM
    If you are anything like me you have bought lots of books you liked the look of while they were on 3-for-2's or other special offers etc., but haven't quite got round to reading them yet, and the chances are that you are adding to your collection at a rate of knots. Putting our MSE-hats on, we know this is not very frugal, and also not very space-savvy as books take up quite a lot of room. As a result (and thanks to the idea of the lovely girls on the 'No buying toiletries in February challenge!' which works in a similar way to this one, only with toiletries), I've decided to make this thread in which I vow not to buy any more books until I have read all the ones I own.

This will take quite some time as I have a big box of lovely, unread books next to my bed, and not a lot of time in which to read them. However, I can also read books which I have borrowed off libraries/other people, or, if I sell a book on a website like greenmetropolis.com, I can buy another one to read instead (prefereably for not more than I was paid for the book I just sold). Overall, the number of unread books I own should not increase from the start to the end of the challenge. (I'll do the maths tomorrow before work as there is not enough time today.)

On the up side, we could include a little book review and say what we thought to our latest read.

I will start: my name is Pickle and I own FAR too many unread books. I am currently 2/3 of the way through 'The Code of the Woosters' by P.G. Wodehouse (library lend), and it is very funny so far.

Who is with me on this one?!

EDIT: list of places to buy/sell/swap books (with help from Niccatw )

Sites to sell your books on...
    http://www.greenmetropolis.com/index2.asp Very high standards...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/sell-your-stuff.html Always handy...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk
    Sites to swap your books on...
    http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx
    http://www.bookhopper.com/ You can chose which country suits you best. And it’s easy to browse their library
    http://bookmooch.com/ Great points system but a lot of American members who aren’t always willing to send to the UK
    http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
    http://www.titletrader.com/
    Bookcrossing...
    http://www.bookcrossing.com/ You give your book a number and then as it moves from one person to another, you can go online and leave a journal entry for the book, to see where it's gone

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 21-06-2016 at 3:30 PM.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

Page 2
  • velocity.girl
    what a GREAT thread...i am addicted to buying books not just for me but for my children as well...i have always thought 'you can never have enough books'. which changed when we recently moved house to a larger place and realised that in the move i had boxed 43 nappy boxes full of books! the shame lol!

I sold my first one on Green Metropolis yesterday *go me* lmao!!!

But i ALWAYS have about 4 books on the go at one time...

i'm currently 'reading'(if picking them up scanning them and not remembering which book it is you HAVE been reading that morning,constitutes this) then :

Nicci French-Beneath the skin, fantastic as always, psychological thriller!
    Douglas Coupland-Hey Nostradamus!, not sure about this one, but i've started so i'll finish ;P
    NLT-Touchpoints for new believers....hmmmmmm! again, a bit too preachy for me in places.
    Hoping to of finally learned my lesson...slowly but surely
  • Bigsister
    I would love to join too.
    More of a lurker but like the idea of this one.
    I have read for years like most have I expect but as you get older there are more demands on your time so I don't read the 4 or so a week that I used to, but still buy the same amount?
    I still love some of my children's books and the newer ones out like Harry Potter and the Twilight series but I also read Christine Feehan, Elizabeth Chadwick, Diana Gabaldon, Maeve Binchy, Harriet Evans, Margaret Attwood etc and like to find a new author that has written so much it will take me forever to catch up, but this isn't always the case.
    Great thread.
    • bargainbetty
    • By bargainbetty 9th Feb 10, 12:34 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 7,142 Thanks
    bargainbetty
    Excellent idea. I have a bookcase that is only half-read, plus my male flat-mate has got me started on his collection of graphic novels (comic books for those of us with XXX chromosomes). Surprisingly entertaining though, and Sin City is even better as a book than as a film.

I would heartily recommend Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. If you remember the original when Mr Darcy told Ms Bennett that he loved her 'despite' her family and was ashamed of himself for his feelings, you feel so much better in this one when she round-house kicks him into the fireplace for saying so.

I have sensible books too, y'know.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!
    MFW - Joined May 2012, aiming to cut the mortgage by an extra two months every year. (Overpaid £3000 so far)
    , only 11 years to go.

• true27
    Oh dear, I have a dilema.....book fair at DS's school....
    Paddle #8 DFW Nerd #1284
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 9th Feb 10, 2:06 PM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 6,015 Thanks
    poddle911
    How much do I need this thread?! Thanks Pickle I've got all the aforementioned bad habits - I buy lots of books, I keep them once I've read them and I'd estimate that I haven't read about 20%, which are mostly scary non-fiction, super bargains and books that I just thought were beautiful! I do solemnly swear to read more than I buy from this moment forth... That's a start, right?

I would heartily recommend Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Originally posted by bargainbetty
    Gah, you can't go and start recommending books though - it feeds the desire. Help!

I'm currently reading Invisible by Paul Auster
    Pod
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
  • Thrifty Pixie
    Every year I say I'm going to do this, but I never can Books are my religion...almost I love reading, rummaging through charity shops...junk shops...church sales...anywhere I see a pile of books I have to stop and have a rootle through. My collection currently stands at 1148 books and a terrifying 629 of them are 'to be read' And considering that I usually read between 50 and 70 books a year this could take me around 13 years

However I still can't NOT buy a bargain. Therefore the best I can do is promise that I will read more than I buy, and only buy cheap or second-hand books. Is that good enough?

Currently reading 'Eclipse' by Stephenie Meyer, and will have to buy 'Breaking Dawn' to finish the series, but I'll get that second-hand too

Good luck all!

*meep*
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Mortgage at start [20/6/12]: £151,800/MFD Jun 2035 (age 65)
    Mortgage now [5/11/14]: £139,212.14/MFD Oct 2029 (age 59)
    Personal Library 2014
    Read in 2014: 57/60 In Progress: 2 Books In: 94 Books Out: 12 TBR: 847
  • beautyaddict
    I need to join in too. I have shelves full of unread books. I am currently reading The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir (one I'd had on my shelf for ages) and I'm enjoying it so far.

I used to keep every book I had read, but I had a big clearout last year (which felt great!) and now I only keep books that I absolutely love and might read again.
  • POSITIVE AND FOCUSED
    Oh Pickle, just noticed this thread. Cant resist. I love books too, just love the smell, the look of them. Most of the books i read and need to still read are autobiographies or on self development. I often have two or three on the go, currently still reading a book called Flip It by Michael Heppell, talks about getting the ositive out of every situation wherever poss. The other on the boil is Obamas autobiography. Just read Duncan Bannantynes story too. All v inspirational, Joni is another, she was a young wolman who after a diving accident was paralysed from thenedck down, Her story is amazing. I love reading about people achieving against the odds. Makes me feel it is possible to dream big and achieve amazing wonderful things, big or small!
    My debts at LBM (2009)Grand Total £161,983.77.(Incs everything, mtge, cr cards, loans)
    May 2013 £124,080.27= £37,903.50 paid off WOW!!!!! Well done! There is a guardian angel out there! I'm visualising success, debt freeness, and happy days!
    • gilligansyle
    • By gilligansyle 9th Feb 10, 6:24 PM
    • 4,105 Posts
    • 22,135 Thanks
    gilligansyle
    Well done on this one pickle, but I've only just seen it and have bought 3 books today! But they were in the charity shop and I did take 6 in, so I suppose its ok.

I have some books that I re-read very often, have read Pride & Prejudice and Emma at least once a year since I first discovered Jane Austen whilst doing O levels . I too go through phases with genres depending on my mood, so have lots of chic lit that I've bought at train stations etc. that I won't read again. Love detective fiction Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Connolly and some sci-fi/fantasy - Robert Jordan, Tad Williams.

Currently I am re-reading Michael Connolly - The Brass Verdict. Bought it on offer in Tatco a while ago.
    Will do a proper count tomorrow.
    But please please don't make me read Captain Corelli's Mandolin, I keep trying to read it and never get past the 4th page, I bought it because everyone raved over it.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £114150109032 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • svb53
    Room for one more? I love books with a passion, we are just turning our box room into a library. I'm currently reading a book about Harold Shipman, and have just finished Honeymoon by James Patterson.

Happy reading!
    LBM 27/12/14.
    January Ebay and Amazon aim: £500. £22/£500 January weight loss aim 10lb. 0/10.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge £22/£500 by 7th April.
    Nsd January aim 20. PAD starting 29/12/14 £2
    • Snow Angel
    • By Snow Angel 9th Feb 10, 6:43 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    Snow Angel
    Have you all heard of this website:

When you've finished a book, you register it on the site and people can then request to swap one of their books with one of yours they'd like to read. So you then decide which, if any, of their books you'd like to swap with and you both post the books to each other. That way you only pay 2nd class postage, get a 2nd hand book to read, then re-register the book and so on and so on. I've been using the site for a few years and I think it's great
  • tammigirl
    thanks snow angel...looks like a fab site
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 9th Feb 10, 6:48 PM
    • 25,996 Posts
    • 105,336 Thanks
    candygirl

When you've finished a book, you register it on the site and people can then request to swap one of their books with one of yours they'd like to read. So you then decide which, if any, of their books you'd like to swap with and you both post the books to each other. That way you only pay 2nd class postage, get a 2nd hand book to read, then re-register the book and so on and so on. I've been using the site for a few years and I think it's great
    Originally posted by Snow Angel
    ooh this sounds fab, am registering now
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
  • yellowduck

Originally posted by Snow Angel
    thanks for this will give it a go. Reporting to you all after my trip to Asda, I did not buy a book, I really really wanted to by John Connelly's "The Lovers", I lifted it from the shelf, held it and then put it back and walked away!!!
  • niccatw
    Hey all

Count my books? I have enough trouble counting my money, adding books into the equation might send me off kilter!

That said, I think I need to join! I have been much better since I had moved into my wee flat - lack of storage and a desire to declutter meant I got rid of books I knew I would never read again, or had tortured me when I tried to read them But those charity shop buys always do suck me in!

Then I found http://www.bookhopper.com/, which probably works in the same way as the readit/swapit site (will need to check that one out) and I exchange book to my heart's content without feeling guilty!

It's always a strugle to decide which books I don't like enough to give away though, it feels as though I'm letting them down... but at least I know they are going to an appreciated home

Excellent idea. I have a bookcase that is only half-read, plus my male flat-mate has got me started on his collection of graphic novels (comic books for those of us with XXX chromosomes). Surprisingly entertaining though, and Sin City is even better as a book than as a film.

I would heartily recommend Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. If you remember the original when Mr Darcy told Ms Bennett that he loved her 'despite' her family and was ashamed of himself for his feelings, you feel so much better in this one when she round-house kicks him into the fireplace for saying so.

Love it Bargain Betty! (Has your flatmate got Maus I and Maus II - they're excellent - admittedly the only graphic novels I've read - but excellent)
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC 1896.10. 225.55 SLC2 5123.34 0 Others 2085 1000 Bcard 1172.60 0

Mike's Mob

• InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 9th Feb 10, 7:44 PM
    • 5,899 Posts
    • 32,805 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Oooh, it looks like there are LOADS of us! I'm going to have a count of my books later if I get the chance...prepare to be shocked!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 9th Feb 10, 7:46 PM
    • 5,899 Posts
    • 32,805 Thanks
    InaPickle
    But please please don't make me read Captain Corelli's Mandolin, I keep trying to read it and never get past the 4th page, I bought it because everyone raved over it.
    Originally posted by gilligansyle
    To be fair, if you ever get past the 4th page, it's worth it.

I would also recommend 'The English Patient'. I haven't seen the film, but that book must be one of the single most beautiful things I have ever read.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• Ames
    • By Ames 9th Feb 10, 7:54 PM
    • 16,446 Posts
    • 28,812 Thanks
    Ames

I keep meaning to look into graphic novels but they're so expensive! I did love Maus though, which someone else mentioned, I've only read the first one though. I really want to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it looks fab, haven't seen a cheap second hand copy yet though.

How much do I need this thread?! Thanks Pickle I've got all the aforementioned bad habits - I buy lots of books, I keep them once I've read them and I'd estimate that I haven't read about 20%, which are mostly scary non-fiction, super bargains and books that I just thought were beautiful! I do solemnly swear to read more than I buy from this moment forth... That's a start, right?

Gah, you can't go and start recommending books though - it feeds the desire. Help!

I'm currently reading Invisible by Paul Auster
    Pod
    Originally posted by poddle911
    What's Invisible like? I loved the New York trilogy. In fact, I nearly bought a copy after reading it when someone lent it to me, but I resisted. Hmm, maybe I need this thread more than I thought...

Well done on this one pickle, but I've only just seen it and have bought 3 books today! But they were in the charity shop and I did take 6 in, so I suppose its ok.

I have some books that I re-read very often, have read Pride & Prejudice and Emma at least once a year since I first discovered Jane Austen whilst doing O levels . I too go through phases with genres depending on my mood, so have lots of chic lit that I've bought at train stations etc. that I won't read again. Love detective fiction Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Connolly and some sci-fi/fantasy - Robert Jordan, Tad Williams.

Currently I am re-reading Michael Connolly - The Brass Verdict. Bought it on offer in Tatco a while ago.
    Will do a proper count tomorrow.
    Originally posted by gilligansyle
    Wow, you're the only other person I've ever 'met' who likes Tad Williams! I've loved his books since I was about 11, I think he's brilliant. I've got a couple of Robert Jordan ones, but there's so many I'm not sure I want to make the commitment yet. I loved CCM, I think it's a love/hate one, no-one's in between on it.

I tried RISI, but found it to be quite an expensive way of getting new books, it's so much cheaper to go to the charity shop, especially for normal and above thickness books. For instance, I got six on Saturday, two were hardback. For at least four of the books, if I RISI'd them it'd cost more to send on than the cost of buying the book and buying a 'new' second hand one.

Ok, I think I'll join this challenge with the 'read more than I buy' limit, but based on future purchases only (ignoring the order I placed with Tesco last week *cough*).
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Snow Angel
    • By Snow Angel 9th Feb 10, 8:41 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    Snow Angel
    I would also recommend 'The English Patient'. I haven't seen the film, but that book must be one of the single most beautiful things I have ever read.
    Originally posted by InaPickle
    I agree....but I think the film is also amazing - the scenery is spectacular and even though I've seen it at least 5 times I still cry every time!
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 9th Feb 10, 8:49 PM
    • 6,775 Posts
    • 30,207 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Ok, count me in, I daren't think how many books I have, and I know there are some that I will never read, so need to bite the bullet and get rid.

Currently reading book four of the True Blood series, and Marian Keyes, The Brightest Star in the Sky. Enjoying both.

Only problem is that car boots will be starting soon
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

6,664Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin