PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long can I keep cold roast beef?

Options
Cooked a family meal yesterday, and have some roast beef left - how long will in last in the fridge before I can't use it anymore.

Spent Saturday recovering from a really bad upset tummy, so want to be more safe than sorry ( again, dodgy turkey breasts - yikes ).

Thanks

Lisa

Comments

• onestep
    onestep Posts: 893 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi

If you cooked it on Sunday, then it will be OK up to and including Tuesday. If it was fresh before you cooked it then you could freeze it. I love cold roast beef - yum!

onestep
    When people show you who they are, believe them the first time
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone else has said.

There's a tummy bug going round (I had it and 2 others I know have it) - maybe that's what you've had. Did you have a migraine-type headache with it too?
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • llh189
    llh189 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    No headache, in true money saving style I bought a large bag of turkey fillets to freeze, put two in the fridge on Thursday morning to defrost for dinner on Thursday night - when I got home they weren't defrosted. So thought would use them in Friday instead!

Had some bad news on Friday long story ( but might have a £500 fine and 6 points on my driving licence - yikes ) didn't feel like cooking ate just ice cream instead, yes it really does make you feel better.

On Saturday, thought better use the turkey - didn't want to throw them away, cooked them properly ( I think ) but later of that night had huge and immediate tummy pains, followed by a really really upset tummy.

So no bug just a case of food poisening I think!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You can freeze slices of cooked beef for later use in sandwiches etc;)
  • shewhoguards
    shewhoguards Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Managed to grab a lovely beef joint reduced in Tesco Sunday (yay me!). Had it for Sunday dinner, and I've been using it for my packed lunch sandwiches, but how long is it likely to last? It's good beef, so if it's likely to be "on the turn" soon, I'd rather make something I can freeze out of it than have to chuck some out.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    Its likely to go rancid and smell within 5 or 6 days - you'll know when its gone off! :eek:
  • lindauk
    lindauk Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    we had roast pork on Sunday lunch i made pilaf with some meat tonight and am planning on having meat with gravy tomorrow and then chicken and pork pie on Thursday so that will 5 days i think. hopefully it will be ok! have to see on Thursday i guess!!
    [Survey site stuff goes here]

• Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    Pork does seem to keep better - in my fridge anyway!
  • shewhoguards
    Options
    Skint_Catt wrote: »
    Its likely to go rancid and smell within 5 or 6 days - you'll know when its gone off! :eek:

Hmm. Might make one more day of sandwiches and then whisk the rest into a meal to freeze tomorrow night then. Off to find my left overs cookbook!
  • shewhoguards
    Options
    Having whisked out my cookbook and checked my cupboard for ingrediants, I think I'll whisk up a shortcrust pastry tomorrow (and I can even use my stored beef fat for the pastry! Tada!) and some gravy and make diddy little steak pies (Mr Kipling size) to freeze for work.

Any unforeseen way this idea is likely to kill me?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure