PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap snacks to fill up teenagers

Options
Hi

My DH has just been made redundant and I am in the process of pulling together cheap and nutritious meal plans to cut down on our food spend. I've got many great ideas from this forum.

However, we have 2 teenage sons in the house who eat me out of house and home at the best of times (if you have teenagers you'll know what I mean).

I need ideas for cheap snacks to fill them up in between meals and for lunchboxes. I work part-time so don't have loads of time for cooking/baking.

We tried Twinks hobnobs a couple of weeks ago and everyone loved those so they're definitely on the list. If anyone has any ideas for things such as sliceable cakes, particularly if they have some health value, that would be great (I could only think of carrot cake, and we'd soon get tired of that if it were the only thing in the house :()

I'm sure some of you will have some great ideas for cheap snacks, so I look forward to reading them.

Helen

Charity knitting so far 2010:-

3 blankets

Comments

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    ok go look on the grocery challenge thred for the weetabix cake recipe

maybe try breadsticks, homemade dips, maybe frozen fruit for smoothies

will be back later with more ideas :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Heldun
    Heldun Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. The weetabix cake sounds interesting. I'll check out that thread.

3 blankets
  • Chuzzle
    Chuzzle Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try making traybakes. I find they are the best thing for a large sliceable cake.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-1511/traybake-recipes.aspx

or just google traybake recipes.
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really like All Bran malt loaf - it's cheap and easy to make and if you can leave it wrapped for a day or so, it goes nice and sticky. It's delicious buttered too. The recipe here uses brown sugar but I usually just use white, which is a bit cheaper too.
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    flap jack is easy to make and you can always just drizzle a bit of chocolate on or add in extra bits as you wish
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could do satay chicken sticks as they are good cold or bags of cocktail sausages are about a quid, How about cheese scones?
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Heldun,

I have one of those at home. ;) I try to keep some homemade soup and plenty of sandwich filling in the fridge eg tuna, egg mayonaise etc as I find when he gets hungry he's ravenous and wants it immediately. If you have a stick blender smoothies and milk shakes are easy to make and nutritious. Favourite filling snacks for him are:

smoothies (using value tinned fruit and orange juice)
    milk shakes (banana is filling)
    scones
    hm pancakes
    banana bread
    muffins (sweet and savoury)
    hm muesli bars/flapjacks
    cheese on toast
    pate on toast
    sandwiches
    mini hm pizzas
    cheese and biscuits etc

These earlier threads may give you some more ideas:

Feeding Growing Teenagers

Healthy snacks for kids

Pink
  • Heldun
    Heldun Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Some great ideas there - I'll go and look at the links. I guess if I can make 2 or 3 things at a time and freeze a couple at least I won't spend all of my time outside of work baking in order to keep my lads filled up.

3 blankets
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could teach them to bake ...... save you some time in the kitchen in the long run but probably NOT moneysaving lol :eek:
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have a recipe I'm afraid, but I'm sure it's widely available online - I had some fruit cake at a friend's the other day - it was gorgeous and moist and sweet - she said it was a dead easy, all-in-one, weetabix cake and it had no fat in it.

I make my boy savoury cheese, or cheese and bacon American muffins with half wholewheat, half white flour - I just googled around until I found recipes.
    Potato cakes are good too - you can pre-make and freeze. I just pop them in a toaster bag to reheat from frozen. They're great with baked beans.
    Big soup - loads of pulses, veggies etc is very filling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport