Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 9th Jul 06, 5:40 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 9th Jul 06, 5:40 PM
    • 9th Jul 06, 5:40 PM
    Blackcurrants freeze really well for later use in jam,or cooked puds.

If you want them to be free-flowing like a bag of frozen peas, then spread them out on a baking tray and freeze till hard,then bag up and pop back in the freezer.If you don't mind them in a big lump, then just put in bags or tubs and freeze.You don't need to cook them first.

If you like, you can cook them with sugar and sieve them to make a thick blackcurrant sauce for use in desserts like ice cream or to add to plain yogurt.You can then freeze the sauce.
  • samh
    • 9th Jul 06, 5:46 PM
    • 9th Jul 06, 5:46 PM
    Thanks Thriftlady - the sauce is a great idea! I've just made some blackcurrant ice-cream (waiting to see how that turns out!) and am about to start some jam, followed by blackcurrant smoothies. This is our first crop so I'd be really grateful for any ideas on how to use them, particularly after they've been frozen as I think my lot will revolt if they get blackcurrants for every meal!!

Thanks
    Sam
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 9th Jul 06, 5:54 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 9th Jul 06, 5:54 PM
    • 9th Jul 06, 5:54 PM
    I think you've covered most of my ideas

Ermmm......blackcurrant crumble,pie,trifle,pavlova,cake (cream mixed with currants and used to fill a sponge), muffins,cordial (HM Ribena), or best of all add a spoonful of the blackcurrant sauce to a glass of white wine and have a HM kir - champagne for kir royale,this would probably be good with lemonade too HTH
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,031Posts Today

5,094Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin