Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Alana
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:33 PM
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures 8th Dec 09 at 10:33 PM

Please report your Bank Charges Reclaiming Successes/failures
    since the Supreme Court decision in Nov 2009 here

REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM

How to report your success/failure:

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • Bank name:
    • Amount Reclaimed:
    • Amount they paid:
    • The story: (Just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
    ***** Want to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV? *****

Hi all. If you've had a refund we need your help

Bank Charges is often in the news and we are frequently asked if we have any MoneySavers that are willing to tell their stories to the press.

If you'd like to help spread the news and encourage others, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your claim for
    * how much did you get back
    * who is your bank
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live

NOTE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
    ABOUT RECLAIMING BANK CHARGES
    PLEASE FIRST READ THE GUIDE:
    Bank Charges Reclaiming
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:35 PM.
Page 77
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    • 89,859 Posts
    • 56,522 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Can i send both bank charges and package claim in one letter?
    yes.

The charges total £1031 and I ask that you repay me the full amount.

Plus as I believe I have been unfairly deprived of the money I have calculated £321 interest at the statutory rate, the amount a court would award and I ask that this be added to my claim to give a total of £1383
    You want the complaints handler at the bank to be on your side. Making a demand like that is confrontational and you have no right to that interest. Refund of bank charges does not have the court statutory rate applied to it. A refund of charges is a goodwill gesture by the bank. Don't go blowing that goodwill with such a sentence.

Plus, you have mentioned the "unfair" word. Under no circumstances should you ever mention the word "unfair". The banks won the unfair charges case in 2009. Anyone trying that route nowadays gets an automatic rejection informing them of the supreme court decision.

I have attached a full schedule of the charges with this document.
    They dont need you to tell them what they charged. They know exactly what they charged.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days and if I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service or small claims court at the earliest opportunity.
    Remove that. Again, you kissing goodbye to any goodwill and you are also making a false threat.
    1) you cant use the courts for reclaiming bank charges like that.
    2) you dont get access to the FOS until at least 8 weeks have passed. Plus, the FOS do not rule on bank charges any more. They just check the bank have treated you fairly in coming to their decision.

I believe the fact that I have been incurring bank charges goes contrary to the aims of the Lending Code (Section 9) and Banking Conduct of Business Sourcebook (section 5.1.4 ‘in particular, a firm should deal fairly with a banking customer whom it has reason to believe is in financial difficulty’). My personal situation has been affected by the charges leaving me in financial hardship and I am writing to request that you take the following grounds into consideration:
    More goodwill lost by you being confrontational and again, you are misquoting guidelines. If you start quoting guidelines (and getting them wrong) you will get a legalistic response back.

-We have been charged penalties because bill payment has been taken earlier (due to bank holiday/weekends)
    Bill payments are never taken early due to bank holidays/weekends.

You are asking the bank for a goodwill gesture. You are totally reliant on their goodwill. Busting down their door and threatening them like you have is not going to get that complaints handler on your side. You need to paint a picture of hardship. Hardship needs to mean hardship by the way. You say you struggle to pay bills. So, make them aware of the actual arrears you are in. Include a budget analysis (ins and outs). Banks often request you do one of these anyway. Get the complaints handler on your side.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Nov 17, 2:04 PM
    • 18,889 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Can i send both bank charges and package claim in one letter?
    Originally posted by domski998
    Your letter is littered with errors which will deny you any refund I'm afraid. First, you should make no reference to the charges being "unfair", the banks won their court case about unfair charges. Secondly, you should not have calculated any interest, since this won't be repaid. Thirdly, you are requesting a set amount of charges be refunded. This isn't necessary and you are unlikely to receive the full amount in any case. Fourthly, there is no point threatening the Bank with the Ombudsman since the FOS cannot deal with such complaints. Fifthly, the Bank are allowed eight weeks to respond to complaints, so it is futile giving them a deadline of only two weeks.

To be honest, your letter appears to have been constructed based on an out-of-date template.

Bank charges are only refunded to those who can show they are currently in the Bank's definition of Financial Hardship. This means you are struggling to pay essential bills and that you are not simply wasting your money on things like a Sky subscription, mobile phone contracts and general consumer spending. The Bank will look at your statements to ascertain this and your spending patterns. If they deem you are in Financial Hardship they may choose to refund (some) charges; typically those from the last six months. They could choose instead to suspend future charges for a period or they might ask you to enter a debt management programme.

Don't under any circumstances send the letter you have posted here in it's current form..

As to your current account complaint, you need to send that separately, not mix up the two.
    • domski998
    • By domski998 20th Nov 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    domski998
    Thank you guys for your time and answers,i`ll read all comments and try to do it as it shouldbe.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Nov 17, 11:13 PM
    • 18,889 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    i`ll read all comments and try to do it as it shouldbe.
    Originally posted by domski998
    Remember that there is no "should be" about it, you are either in Financial Hardship or you aren't.

If you don't fulfil the Bank's Hardship criteria you won't receive a refund of bank charges regardless of whether you have a well-written complaint letter.

Be honest, are you actually in Financial Hardship?
    • NinaMccreesh
    • By NinaMccreesh 2nd Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    NinaMccreesh
    HSBC
    £1179.69
    £877.56
    Used the template and wrote a letter. Included my annual charges summaries going back 6 years posted it recorded delivery on 19th November received £877.56 on 25th November!! I stayed in my letter I wasn’t asking for interest on top of the account charges but had included it in the total (doh) and that I am in a better financial position and that I understand going forward that I accept charges I may incur as they are now £5 per day capped at £80 a month not £50 per transactio or being charged £130+ in a month and not being able to claw out of that monthly cycle. Have to say I was so shocked, pleased and surprised!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,835Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter