Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Alana
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:33 PM
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures 8th Dec 09 at 10:33 PM

Please report your Bank Charges Reclaiming Successes/failures
    since the Supreme Court decision in Nov 2009 here

REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM

How to report your success/failure:

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • Bank name:
    • Amount Reclaimed:
    • Amount they paid:
    • The story: (Just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
    ***** Want to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV? *****

Hi all. If you've had a refund we need your help

Bank Charges is often in the news and we are frequently asked if we have any MoneySavers that are willing to tell their stories to the press.

If you'd like to help spread the news and encourage others, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your claim for
    * how much did you get back
    * who is your bank
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live

NOTE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
    ABOUT RECLAIMING BANK CHARGES
    PLEASE FIRST READ THE GUIDE:
    Bank Charges Reclaiming
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:35 PM.
Page 76
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 18,754 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    This thread is about Bank Charges, not packaged accounts, but well done on your success.
    • Snaz
    • By Snaz 19th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Snaz
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help, I've been looking at my past statements I had a personal reserve on my over draft back in 2008 with Barclays. I've noticed that I was charged fees over 2k. I remember making a phone call asking for financial help back in 2008 as I was a student and kept going over my overdraft so called the bank to see if they could help because the charges were all adding up. The gentleman said he would add a personal reserve on for me.
    I feel that it was miss-sold to me however I was continually in my personal reserve so therefore I couldn't cancel and the fees were £100+ nearly every month.
    I've put in a complaint I was just wondering what the likelihood of getting a refund of intrest on this sort of complaint?

Any advise appreciated, Thank you in advance.

Sally
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 19th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help, I've been looking at my past statements I had a personal reserve on my over draft back in 2008 with Barclays. I've noticed that I was charged fees over 2k. I remember making a phone call asking for financial help back in 2008 as I was a student and kept going over my overdraft so called the bank to see if they could help because the charges were all adding up. The gentleman said he would add a personal reserve on for me.
    I feel that it was miss-sold to me however I was continually in my personal reserve so therefore I couldn't cancel and the fees were £100+ nearly every month.
    I've put in a complaint I was just wondering what the likelihood of getting a refund of intrest on this sort of complaint?

Any advise appreciated, Thank you in advance.

Sally
    Originally posted by Snaz
    Unless you're in difficulty now, about zero.

The bank offered you further authorised lending rather than letting you contine to incur higher charges for unauthorised borrowing. How is that misselling, what more did you want them to do?
    • Snaz
    • By Snaz 22nd Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Snaz
    It was costing me more having a personal reserve! It was missold to me as it was just added without the fees being explained. I have nothing to loose by making a complaint so I thought I would try, I'm still in financial difficulty now, I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with Barclays. Barclays still have a lending code which they should adhere to and check if the reserve would have been affordable and it clearly wasn't from being charged £8 or £16 to £100+ is not affordable especially if I asked for help. I was being charged £500 in charges and fees alone each month.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 23rd Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 7,113 Posts
    • 5,113 Thanks
    -taff
    You asked for this money because you were spending more than your income, however that income was being earned.
    They are not obligated to lend you money without charging, just are you are not obligated to spend it.

Make your complaint and see what happens, but don't use 'unfair' anywhere in it.
    • lmp3
    • By lmp3 26th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lmp3
    Advantage Gold Account - Refund

We recently completed and sent in the Revolver template to the NatWest, setting out the reasons why we felt the account had been mis-sold to us.

We are delighted to report we have now received a refund of £1800, so definitely worth putting in a complaint if you feel you have been mis-sold an account and no need to use a third party!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 26th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 18,754 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Advantage Gold Account - Refund
    Originally posted by lmp3
    This thread is about Bank Charges, not packaged accounts, but well done on your success.
    • Teanotts
    • By Teanotts 27th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Teanotts
    Hi

I recently sent a letter to Halifax for my EASYCASH account as i am always getting bank charges due to money troubles.
    Over 6 years there was around £1700 i wanted to claim.back.

A lady called me and said they had investigated but they had applied the charges correctly and wont refund a penny.

What can I do now???
    Thanks
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 27th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    • 18,754 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    What can I do now???
    Originally posted by Teanotts
    Give up.
    Historical bank charges are not recoverable.

If you are in CURRENT financial hardship,however, you should make the bank aware of this. The bank may choose to suspend charges for a period or even refund some recent ones..
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 27th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 89,606 Posts
    • 56,103 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi

I recently sent a letter to Halifax for my EASYCASH account as i am always getting bank charges due to money troubles.
    Over 6 years there was around £1700 i wanted to claim.back.

A lady called me and said they had investigated but they had applied the charges correctly and wont refund a penny.

What can I do now???
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Teanotts
    You give up. You cant just request your bank charges back just because you want the money. The unfair bank charges issue ended in 2009 when the banks won the court case.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Derekbirmingham
    • By Derekbirmingham 30th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derekbirmingham
    Halifax utlimate reward charges
    Hello im derek from birmingham..
    I recently used the resolver for an ultimate reward account i was badgered into getting from a pushy halifax girl in 2010..
    I got a call off a girl from the halifax refusing my claim which i personally think is a joke..how can halifax employee make this decision when they work for the bank im accusing of skimming my money..
    I also recieved a letter from halifax,i was going to post a copy of the comical letter i recieved but im not allowed to post links or photos☹️
    Ive had the account since 2010 and i genuinley think ive been skimmed..
    Where do i go from here please..
    And thanks this is a great looking website..👍
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 89,606 Posts
    • 56,103 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hello im derek from birmingham..
    I recently used the resolver for an ultimate reward account i was badgered into getting from a pushy halifax girl in 2010..
    I got a call off a girl from the halifax refusing my claim which i personally think is a joke..how can halifax employee make this decision when they work for the bank im accusing of skimming my money..
    I also recieved a letter from halifax,i was going to post a copy of the comical letter i recieved but im not allowed to post links or photos☹️
    Ive had the account since 2010 and i genuinley think ive been skimmed..
    Where do i go from here please..
    And thanks this is a great looking website..👍
    Originally posted by Derekbirmingham
    This thread has nothing to do with your enquiry. Please post on another thread or create your own thread.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 18,754 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I recently used the resolver for an ultimate reward account
    Originally posted by Derekbirmingham
    This thread is about Bank Charges, not packaged accounts, but hard luck on having your packaged account complaint rejected. It you remain dissatisfied, you have the option of referring the complaint to the Ombudsman.
    • Finchy78
    • By Finchy78 7th Oct 17, 3:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Finchy78
    Overdraft Interest/Charges
    Hi,

I somehow managed to run my overdraft upto a limit of £3000 over the course of the past several years. I have found myself contiously at the limit of my OD, for some of these years I was working but the past year has been especially hard as out of work. Its not so much been the charges as they have ranged from £6 to the occassional higher one if over the limit, rather the interest every month has been crippling at around £40 over the past 4 years or so.

Is it possible to ask the these interest costs to be refunded or is it only charges as its around £1600+ interest, has the court decision made in impossible since 2009 now?

I am currently just in credit but i fear with rent, bills, etc it could spiral again and wanted to approach them to consolidate this interest and then reduce my OD right done to £100 tops as the new interest charges coming in November look astronomical if at high OD , £140ish a month etc..
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 18,754 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Is it possible to ask the these interest costs to be refunded or is it only charges
    Originally posted by Finchy78
    Since the banks won their court case in 2009, neither charges nor interest have been refundable. However, if you are currently unemployed and in financial hardship you should make your case to the Bank. Do note that the bank's definition of financial hardship is the criteria you need to fulfil, so expensive subscription television or mobile 'phone contracts etc will exclude you. Note also that any refund is goodwill on the part of the bank and the typical period the bank will agree to refund (some) charges for is the last six months. The bank may choose not to refund at all, but instead suspend future interest and charges for a limited period. They can also insist that you enter a debt management programme.

Good luck.
    • ricknbec
    • By ricknbec 18th Oct 17, 8:04 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ricknbec
    Bank name: HSBC
    Amount Reclaimed: £1067
    Amount they paid: £205
    The story: My partner hit a rough patch at the end of last year after her department at work closed down, bank charges started to quickly run into the £100 mark almost every month due to missed direct debits.
    I decided to write the letter asking for charges back with a description of the hard time she'd had and a summary of the charges included, this was posted to them on Monday afternoon.
    This morning £205 in refunded charges has appeared in her account, considering they don't really pay out these days that's a result in my eyes!
    Thanks to MSE for the guides.
    • Martin JG
    • By Martin JG 20th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Martin JG
    Successful lloyds packaged bank account claim
    Submitted a claim via Resolver last Saturday, for mis-sold packaged bank accounts dating back 15 years or so. By Tuesday a gentleman from Lloyds was trying to contact me. I spoke to him on Wednesday for about half an hour, answering various questions about the accounts. The amount of detail he had about our accounts (going back to 1984!) was amazing, as our records were sketchy at best.
    By close of play the same day he came back to us with an acceptance that we had been mis-sold and with an offer of £962, which we accepted. The money was in my account the following day.
    Very impressed with the rapidity with which Lloyds dealt with this - they are obviously throwing significant resources at the issue - and very happy to have it resolved in less than a week. My advice would be to anyone to go ahead and try if you feel you were mis-sold, and use the Resolver process which I found very straightforward.
    Finally a big thanks to MoneySavingExpert for taking a lead on this.

Martin
    • Caroleohare
    • By Caroleohare 1st Nov 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Caroleohare
    Bank : Lloyds
    Amount claimed: unknown
    I rang Lloyds to register a claim for missold packaged bank account fees. They were very helpful and although they couldn't trace my account before 2001 ( I had been with Lloyds since 1977) they knew I had had a gold account since 2001. A day later someone rang to make enquiries about my use of the packaged benefits and whether I was made known of these at the time of taking the account. Only one day after that they rang to say the claim had been upheld and I would receive a refund of all the charges plus interest. They are paying me £4403 which I think is excellent service. Well done Martin and we'll done Lloyds!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Nov 17, 10:17 PM
    • 18,754 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    This thread is about Bank Charges, not packaged accounts
    • domski998
    • By domski998 20th Nov 17, 1:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    domski998
    Bank charges and package claim
    Hi and thank you in advance.

Can i send both bank charges and package claim in one letter?

This is what i created so far:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account number: 000000

I am writing to request that you repay all the charges including misssold account package in relation to direct debits, unauthorised overdrafts and standing orders that have been applied to my account in the past seven years.

I have a Nat West platinum account with you and believe I was mis-sold this account for the following reasons:

-I was told that I had to have this bank account in order to get a loan or mortgage with you.
    -I was told I would get a better deal on my mortgage or loan if I took out this packaged account.

I believe the fact that I have been incurring bank charges goes contrary to the aims of the Lending Code (Section 9) and Banking Conduct of Business Sourcebook (section 5.1.4 ‘in particular, a firm should deal fairly with a banking customer whom it has reason to believe is in financial difficulty’). My personal situation has been affected by the charges leaving me in financial hardship and I am writing to request that you take the following grounds into consideration:

-I can`t pay my debts and I lend money to cover payments.

-Since May2017 only one person in our household is employed.
    -I live on credit and my credit limits reached 20k
    -Since few years I always reach maximum overdraft.
    -We struggle every month cover all expenses (food bills etc)
    -Due to 4 years university our debts increased.
    -Our income is eaten by monthly loans charges.
    -We have been charged penalties because retailers took money few days after actual purchase.
    -We have been charged penalties because bill payment has been taken earlier (due to bank holiday/weekends)

The charges total £1031 and I ask that you repay me the full amount.

Plus as I believe I have been unfairly deprived of the money I have calculated £321 interest at the statutory rate, the amount a court would award and I ask that this be added to my claim to give a total of £1383

I have attached a full schedule of the charges with this document.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days and if I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service or small claims court at the earliest opportunity.

Yours faithfully,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,701Posts Today

4,686Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin