Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Alana
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:33 PM
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures 8th Dec 09 at 10:33 PM

Please report your Bank Charges Reclaiming Successes/failures
    since the Supreme Court decision in Nov 2009 here

REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM

How to report your success/failure:

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • Bank name:
    • Amount Reclaimed:
    • Amount they paid:
    • The story: (Just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
    ***** Want to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV? *****

Hi all. If you've had a refund we need your help

Bank Charges is often in the news and we are frequently asked if we have any MoneySavers that are willing to tell their stories to the press.

If you'd like to help spread the news and encourage others, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your claim for
    * how much did you get back
    * who is your bank
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live

NOTE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
    ABOUT RECLAIMING BANK CHARGES
    PLEASE FIRST READ THE GUIDE:
    Bank Charges Reclaiming
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:35 PM.
Page 76
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 19,293 Posts
    • 9,398 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    This thread is about Bank Charges, not packaged accounts, but well done on your success.
    • Snaz
    • By Snaz 19th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Snaz
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help, I've been looking at my past statements I had a personal reserve on my over draft back in 2008 with Barclays. I've noticed that I was charged fees over 2k. I remember making a phone call asking for financial help back in 2008 as I was a student and kept going over my overdraft so called the bank to see if they could help because the charges were all adding up. The gentleman said he would add a personal reserve on for me.
    I feel that it was miss-sold to me however I was continually in my personal reserve so therefore I couldn't cancel and the fees were £100+ nearly every month.
    I've put in a complaint I was just wondering what the likelihood of getting a refund of intrest on this sort of complaint?

Any advise appreciated, Thank you in advance.

Sally
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 19th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help, I've been looking at my past statements I had a personal reserve on my over draft back in 2008 with Barclays. I've noticed that I was charged fees over 2k. I remember making a phone call asking for financial help back in 2008 as I was a student and kept going over my overdraft so called the bank to see if they could help because the charges were all adding up. The gentleman said he would add a personal reserve on for me.
    I feel that it was miss-sold to me however I was continually in my personal reserve so therefore I couldn't cancel and the fees were £100+ nearly every month.
    I've put in a complaint I was just wondering what the likelihood of getting a refund of intrest on this sort of complaint?

Any advise appreciated, Thank you in advance.

Sally
    Originally posted by Snaz
    Unless you're in difficulty now, about zero.

The bank offered you further authorised lending rather than letting you contine to incur higher charges for unauthorised borrowing. How is that misselling, what more did you want them to do?
    • Snaz
    • By Snaz 22nd Sep 17, 2:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Snaz
    It was costing me more having a personal reserve! It was missold to me as it was just added without the fees being explained. I have nothing to loose by making a complaint so I thought I would try, I'm still in financial difficulty now, I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with Barclays. Barclays still have a lending code which they should adhere to and check if the reserve would have been affordable and it clearly wasn't from being charged £8 or £16 to £100+ is not affordable especially if I asked for help. I was being charged £500 in charges and fees alone each month.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 23rd Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 7,344 Posts
    • 4,766 Thanks
    -taff
    You asked for this money because you were spending more than your income, however that income was being earned.
    They are not obligated to lend you money without charging, just are you are not obligated to spend it.

Make your complaint and see what happens, but don't use 'unfair' anywhere in it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

5,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin