Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Alana
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures
    • 8th Dec 09, 10:33 PM
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures 8th Dec 09 at 10:33 PM

Please report your Bank Charges Reclaiming Successes/failures
    since the Supreme Court decision in Nov 2009 here

REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM

How to report your success/failure:

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • Bank name:
    • Amount Reclaimed:
    • Amount they paid:
    • The story: (Just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
    ***** Want to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV? *****

Hi all. If you've had a refund we need your help

Bank Charges is often in the news and we are frequently asked if we have any MoneySavers that are willing to tell their stories to the press.

If you'd like to help spread the news and encourage others, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your claim for
    * how much did you get back
    * who is your bank
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live

NOTE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
    ABOUT RECLAIMING BANK CHARGES
    PLEASE FIRST READ THE GUIDE:
    Bank Charges Reclaiming
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:35 PM.
Page 73
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Aug 16, 12:28 PM
    • 17,248 Posts
    • 7,789 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'm not sure what to do or where to go from here
    Originally posted by dazzyb
    Unfortunately, you've wasted your time trying to claim back historical charges which have not been recoverable since 2009.

If you are CURRENTLY in financial hardship, then you should put your case to the bank. The bank may decide to refund (some) charges , typically those charged in the last six months. Do remember that they are not obliged to refund anything at all.
    • aremgee
    • By aremgee 21st Aug 16, 12:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    aremgee
    Royal Bank of Scotland Success
    9 years ago I was persuaded to open a packaged account with RBS. The only reason I did was because my brother had moved to Canada and I was about to plan the first of several visits. I made a point of asking if my existing condition would be covered and was advised it would be and there was no form to fill in and no need to declare it. Only recently when I was diagnosed with another condition and was advised to contact the insurance department at RBS did I learn that I would be charged over £100 on top of the monthly fee for BOTH conditions. When I pointed out that there was only one new condition I was advised that for the previous 9 years I had NOT been covered for the original one. I used the template letter as a guide and soon received an acknowledgement followed by a telephone call to check details. Within a couple of weeks and no quibbling at all I had a cheque for over £1700 refunding all my monthly payments plus interest. Wonderful!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 21st Aug 16, 6:10 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    9 years ago I was persuaded to open a packaged account with RBS. The only reason I did was because my brother had moved to Canada and I was about to plan the first of several visits. I made a point of asking if my existing condition would be covered and was advised it would be and there was no form to fill in and no need to declare it. Only recently when I was diagnosed with another condition and was advised to contact the insurance department at RBS did I learn that I would be charged over £100 on top of the monthly fee for BOTH conditions. When I pointed out that there was only one new condition I was advised that for the previous 9 years I had NOT been covered for the original one. I used the template letter as a guide and soon received an acknowledgement followed by a telephone call to check details. Within a couple of weeks and no quibbling at all I had a cheque for over £1700 refunding all my monthly payments plus interest. Wonderful!
    Originally posted by aremgee
    Good to hear but this topic is for bank charges, not packaged accounts
    • nerakcake
    • By nerakcake 21st Aug 16, 7:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nerakcake
    Read on MSE about reclaiming for package bank account filled out claim form had a call the week later and two hours later got a refund of £1280 this is from Lloyds bank
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 21st Aug 16, 8:59 PM
    • 85,144 Posts
    • 50,156 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Read on MSE about reclaiming for package bank account filled out claim form had a call the week later and two hours later got a refund of £1280 this is from Lloyds bank
    Originally posted by nerakcake
    Well done. However, this thread is not about packaged bank charges.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • waughy
    • By waughy 4th Sep 16, 5:03 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    waughy
    Hi I logged a complaint with Lloyds on Friday about the bank charges I have incurred over the last 3 years on my current account, due to going over the overdraft etc. They phoned today and £325 has been credited back to my account - not all but most of it for the 3 years.

Now thats fast service
    • TonyOwen95
    • By TonyOwen95 17th Oct 16, 1:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TonyOwen95
    Started the ball rolling.
    Hi,

Just heard about this. Contacted the bank on Friday to ask for my transaction history over the past six years. For as long as I remember I have been living at the extend of my overdraft, and frequently go over it. Normally its the bank charges that take me over my overdraft limit.

I'll keep everyone updated on how I get on.

How have peoples experiences been when dealing with HSBC?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    • 85,144 Posts
    • 50,156 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi,

Just heard about this. Contacted the bank on Friday to ask for my transaction history over the past six years. For as long as I remember I have been living at the extend of my overdraft, and frequently go over it. Normally its the bank charges that take me over my overdraft limit.

I'll keep everyone updated on how I get on.

How have peoples experiences been when dealing with HSBC?
    Originally posted by TonyOwen95
    If its financial hardship, they may consider refunding some (typically 12 months or less). If you are not in financial hardship they will usually refuse and quote the court case that the banks won.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • TonyOwen95
    • By TonyOwen95 17th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TonyOwen95
    Ah right, It looks like the information I have seen may have been superseded then.

It mentioned backdating up to six years.

Its certainly financial hardship, and please don't get me wrong, anything I can get from them is a bonus. Just want to make sure I'm going into this with the correct level of understanding.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 85,144 Posts
    • 50,156 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Ah right, It looks like the information I have seen may have been superseded then.

Its certainly financial hardship, and please don't get me wrong, anything I can get from them is a bonus. Just want to make sure I'm going into this with the correct level of understanding.
    There is no 6 year rule in respect of financial services regulation and compliance. Never has been. However, the data protection act requires firms to hold information no longer than is necessary and 6 years was the timescale that was recommended. Some hold longer.

The banks won the court case in 2009. The guides on this site were written prior to that. Although a couple received small updates to reflect the court case win.

Since 2009, the banks will only consider financial hardship cases or wrong charges paid. Even if you qualify under their financial hardship criteria, it is only a goodwill payment they may offer and in some cases they may not refund a penny. They have multiple options available to them. This includes suspending future charges for x months or putting you onto a debt management process and giving debt counselling.

You didnt need to get the statements and you dont need to give them to the bank. That is unnecessary. It is important you focus on the points of hardship. What arrears, defaults etc you have. How your living standard is suffering. They do look at your spending habits to see how and where you spend your money. For example, if you have £80pm going to Sky tv then they know you are not in hardship. Shopping in Next was a rejection reason given in the past as was buying sandwiches at M&S.

Under no circumstances should you state the charges are unfair or words like that. You will get the auto-rejection stating they won the unfair bank charges court case.
    Last edited by dunstonh; 17-10-2016 at 3:52 PM. Reason: edit to reflect 6 year rule in financial services regulation
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 17th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Mersey

I think Martin Lewis was referring to the limitation period in civil matters.

That is indeed 6 years in most cases (but 3 in Personal Injury).

That's the furthest any body could look re a civil claim.

But I'm not aware of any litigated matters pending on this issue at present.

There is a matter due to be heard re financial hardship, but in that group action it was caused by Govt error so I wouldn't have thought it would apply to banks even if they succeed.
    Last edited by Mersey; 17-10-2016 at 3:43 PM.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 6,468 Posts
    • 3,733 Thanks
    -taff
    Hi,

Then you should go over to the debt free wannabe board and see what you're doing wrong budget wise.
    They can help you see where you're over spending.
    • guccininja
    • By guccininja 26th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    guccininja
    So today I rang Lloyds Bank, thinking I will be on the phone for 20 minutes, I was on the phone for over an hour talking about reclaiming bank charges.

I asked for an audit trial of all my charges from unauthorised overdraft fees and returned direct debits. Since January 2016 to now, my charges have totaled £100. I asked if they could search for charges only and they said no, they had to go through bank statements with me. I said that it was rather inconvenient and can't you search for specifically charges only and send me the list, I mentioned data protection etc. The answer was still no so for 5 years, I went through all my charges which totaled £1600 taking 20 minutes on the phone.

I said I was losing my job and that my outgoings will be high causing me financial hardship etc.

They refused my long term fees but this years fines got paid back as a "good will gesture" totaling £100.

So my advice would be, this years fines to get back would be quite simple to do but anything longer will get ignored.

Cheers
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 26th Oct 16, 2:24 PM
    • 85,144 Posts
    • 50,156 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I said that it was rather inconvenient and can't you search for specifically charges only and send me the list, I mentioned data protection etc. The answer was still no so for 5 years, I went through all my charges which totaled £1600 taking 20 minutes on the phone.
    Data protection does not require them to supply it to you in that format.

They refused my long term fees but this years fines got paid back as a "good will gesture" totaling £100.

So my advice would be, this years fines to get back would be quite simple to do but anything longer will get ignored.
    That sounds typical of what you would expect nowadays. 6-12 months on financial hardship cases other then extreme hardship.

It isnt ignored but in your case, it doesnt sound justified to go back any further. In some cases they will but it depends on the individual situation.
    • jamest26
    • By jamest26 4th Nov 16, 12:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamest26
    I wrote to HSBC requesting all the information about the overdraft fees I've been charged. They replied with the statement, i used the statement to calculate the interest and have written a letter to them requesting a full refund including interest. I have mentioned my personal position of financial hardship and how these charges have affected me financially. The letter was sent about 10 weeks ago and i haven't received a singe letter back. I'm sure they have to reply within 8 weeks what should i do now?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Nov 16, 12:22 PM
    • 85,144 Posts
    • 50,156 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I wrote to HSBC requesting all the information about the overdraft fees I've been charged. They replied with the statement, i used the statement to calculate the interest and have written a letter to them requesting a full refund including interest. I have mentioned my personal position of financial hardship and how these charges have affected me financially. The letter was sent about 10 weeks ago and i haven't received a singe letter back. I'm sure they have to reply within 8 weeks what should i do now?
    Originally posted by jamest26
    Contact them and ask them how they are getting on. They may not have got the letter as most banks deal with genuine hardship claims within a week or two. The first thing they do is write to acknowledge receipt of your letter. Then they follow it up with an outcome or a holding letter if they need longer.

If they havent got it and you need to put your case again, don't worry about listing historic charges. That is not important. They know their charges and in most cases, they only look at the last 6-12 months. You may also wish to modify your tone. You have no right to demand anything. You are requesting a goodwill gesture and want the person on your side. Demanding things from them doesn't do much to help your case. Also, they have no reason to add interest to the charges. This is not a complaint outcome or a mis-sale. It is a goodwill gesture.
    • hammy130
    • By hammy130 16th Nov 16, 9:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    hammy130
    Hammy
    Hi,
    I had a packaged account with LLoyds bank back in the nineties. Used the Resolver claim system and received £2300.00 pounds back. I claimed on Thursday 10/11/16, refund in my account Tuesday 15/11/16. Fantastic service.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Nov 16, 11:29 AM
    • 17,248 Posts
    • 7,789 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I had a packaged account
    Originally posted by hammy130
    Well done on your success, but this thread is about actual Bank charges...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,160Posts Today

6,248Users online

Martin's Twitter