Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > Bank statement as proof of purchase (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Bank statement as proof of purchase
Closed Thread
Views: 8,950
# 1
AfterDark
Old 31-01-2010, 12:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Bank statement as proof of purchase

As in title I've noticed alot of posts where ppl are saying if you have lost your reciept you can produce a bank statement as proof of purchase.

However when I tryed to take an elecrical item back to my local tesco with this they said they cannot trace purchases over 12wks in there system and it's not proof of purchase for the item anyway as for all they know my statement could have been for a weekly shop ect
# 2
djb215
Old 31-01-2010, 12:58 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In that case you need to tell Tesco it's their problem if they want to trace the sale because you have provided a bank statement showing when it was purchased, unless, did you only buy the item on that transaction or did you buy something else too?
[DISCLAIMER: Any posts made by myself are my opinions and do not represent my employer]

God put me on Earth to acomplish a certain number of things.
Right now I am so far behind I will probably never be allowed to die!
# 3
AfterDark
Old 31-01-2010, 1:00 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I bought it along with my weekly shop, which is prob why they were a bit cagey with the figure on the statement, but they never even offered to search for it just apologised and said they couldn't
# 4
JamieT1977
Old 31-01-2010, 1:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

What was the reason for you wanting to return it?
# 5
hothothot
Old 31-01-2010, 1:33 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

by law they have to keep a record of all transactions, for the purposes of manufacturers guarantees (1year!) on your electrical item. aswell as tax purporses for any audit. Insist that they check their accounting systems. Probably just too lazy to do the legwork to start a search. but bottom line is - you have proof of purchase.

the card transaction id, will be able to bring up the receipt of what you bought. I know this having been involved with credit card fraud investigations. Pester them again, phone their HQ customer services.

Last edited by hothothot; 31-01-2010 at 1:37 AM.
# 6
The Pedant
Old 31-01-2010, 2:33 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think many companies simply turn people away as they know it may take extra work for them to track down the transaction. Yes, it is quite possible that in many cases the person will go away, have a look and find the receipt etc.

However, if an item is clearly faulty and they will not accept the item back, and you were forced to take this further then the level of proof required for the claim to proceed is usually quite low.

In a small claims motion the expectation is generally that you can prove "on the balance of probabilities" that the transaction you are highlighting, was indeed for the purchase of the goods claimed.

Therefore, evidence of the transaction could be accepted as proof of purchase. Pointing out that a refusal to accept that will result on further action being taken will usually shift them into possibly doing a little legwork to help you.

Yes, they can claim that it was for something else, but if you clearly have a faulty kettle that looks 3 months old, you have evidence of a transaction for say 16.99, and that was the price of the item 3 months ago, then they really don't have a leg to stand on. The problem is that they just need convincing of that fact. Of course, this gets slightly more difficult if you have a transaction for a different amount as you bought other items at the same time......

If you don't ask .... you don't get
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Pedant For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
hothothot
Old 31-01-2010, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pedant View Post
I think many companies simply turn people away as they know it may take extra work for them to track down the transaction. Yes, it is quite possible that in many cases the person will go away, have a look and find the receipt etc.

However, if an item is clearly faulty and they will not accept the item back, and you were forced to take this further then the level of proof required for the claim to proceed is usually quite low.

In a small claims motion the expectation is generally that you can prove "on the balance of probabilities" that the transaction you are highlighting, was indeed for the purchase of the goods claimed.

Therefore, evidence of the transaction could be accepted as proof of purchase. Pointing out that a refusal to accept that will result on further action being taken will usually shift them into possibly doing a little legwork to help you.

Yes, they can claim that it was for something else, but if you clearly have a faulty kettle that looks 3 months old, you have evidence of a transaction for say 16.99, and that was the price of the item 3 months ago, then they really don't have a leg to stand on. The problem is that they just need convincing of that fact. Of course, this gets slightly more difficult if you have a transaction for a different amount as you bought other items at the same time......

If you don't ask .... you don't get
great advice.

and of course, added to that is that every electrical item has a unique serial number.....can be matched up to see if it was part of the order that went specifically to Tesco from the manufacturers.....
The Following User Says Thank You to hothothot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
bazster
Old 31-01-2010, 9:09 AM

I'm not aware that the Sale of Good Act requires a retailer to open its books to you. It's you who has to produce proof of purchase, not them. Supposing that a case like this got as far as the small claims court, and the retailer continued to insist that you hadn't produced proof of purchase. What's the judge going to do, issue a search warrant and have the retailer's records seized? Of course not, because there is no legal obligation on them to share this information.
# 9
JamieT1977
Old 31-01-2010, 9:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Its not been said that it was returned due to a fault - but if so no receipt is needed.
And as already said - they by law have to keep records for 12 months, plus do the suggested serial number check, it will show it was part of a tesco batch.
# 10
bazster
Old 31-01-2010, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieT1977 View Post
Its not been said that it was returned due to a fault - but if so no receipt is needed.
But proof of purchase is.

Quote:
And as already said - they by law have to keep records for 12 months
But they're not obliged to share them with you!

Quote:
, plus do the suggested serial number check, it will show it was part of a tesco batch.
...and might subsequently have been sold on eBay or something!
# 11
JamieT1977
Old 31-01-2010, 10:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazster View Post
But proof of purchase is.

But they're not obliged to share them with you!

...and might subsequently have been sold on eBay or something!
I stick by my comments I have a background in retail operations
# 12
OlliesDad
Old 31-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If a consumer produces a bank statement as proof of purchase, it is up to the retailer to prove that this purchase was not for the item in question.

In small claims court any decisions are made based on probability. If the retailer is refusing to show the records for that transaction, it will look very unfavourable towards them.
# 13
JamieT1977
Old 31-01-2010, 10:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Sales of Good Act 1979 covers you if its faulty.
If its not faulty then the following applies.........
If you have no receipt....
However, if you don't have the receipt, you must still be able to prove you have a claim against the store (if it doesn't just take your word that you had bought the item there).
Other forms of proof

You could use a credit card slip or even an entry on your bank statement to show you bought an item from the store.
However, this may not confirm exactly what you bought – if the store sells a number of items at that price, the store might make it difficult for you to return the item.
If you buy something reasonably expensive, it's always worth hanging on to the receipt for a bit.
# 14
Anihilator
Old 31-01-2010, 10:59 AM
PPR

As said a statement can be proof of purchase. It isnt always proof of purchase.
It is for you to provide this. Tesco don't need to help you prove the purchase.

If the item is 29.99 and the statement has 100 on it Tesco are reasonable to decline it.

Its also worth saying whilst they will keep records it may not always be easily accessible.
# 15
JamieT1977
Old 31-01-2010, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The answer to this depends on her reasons for returning it:

Fault = No problem to legally get a refund. (Though Tesco will make it hard)
Did not like it anymore = Less easier but still ways around it.

So will await the reason for returning
# 16
AfterDark
Old 31-01-2010, 11:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
What was the reason for you wanting to return it?
Was returning an iron due to being faulty, was under 30 when I bought it got 7-8 months use out of it, hence why I never really argued. Will try and call there customer service and see where I get, as if they can trace the sale... I expect them to
# 17
JamieT1977
Old 31-01-2010, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

In that case no receipt is required under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Also qoute them their own returns policy.......

"Electrical, Mobile Phones & Furniture

Tesco guarantees all its electrical, mobile phones and furniture products for one year."
# 18
JamieT1977
Old 31-01-2010, 11:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

if they fail to co-operate after being reminded of that
Quote them again.......

Electrical

Electrical Helpline 0845 456 6767, Monday to Saturday 9am to 8pm and Sunday 11am to 5pm.

If you have any problem setting up or using your electrical product, please call the Electrical Helpline for help and advice.

Tesco guarantees all its electrical products for one year. If your product develops a fault please call our helpline. If we cannot immediately resolve the issue over the phone, we will arrange a prompt repair. If a repair is not possible, a replacement or refund will be offered. Small domestic appliances or DIY products may be returned without calling the helpline first
# 19
BARGAINHUNTER!
Old 31-01-2010, 1:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have just tried to take my faulty kettle back to Asda. It cuts out half way through and does not boil. I brought it about 6 months ago and they are still selling the same model on their shelves. The lady at customer services was very rude and said she could not do anything as I did not have my receipt. I did not want a refund just to exchange for a new kettle the same model. Do I have any rights as surely a kettle should last longer than 6 months? And no I don't have the receipt - I brought the kettle along with my weekly shop and must have thrown the receipt away. I do not have the packaging either! Is there anything I can do as im loathe to buy a new one! It is an Asda own brand kettle as well.
MFW 2011 challenge - Aim: Overpay 414.26 a month/5,000 a year. Overpayment Total to date: 414.26Mortgage start 28/9/07 46,217.00 Mortgage balance as of 25/05/11 24,490.58
Interest saved as of 25/05/11: 2,849.84 Projected term reduction as of 25/05/11: 9 years 11 months
# 20
JamieT1977
Old 31-01-2010, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGAINHUNTER! View Post
I have just tried to take my faulty kettle back to Asda. It cuts out half way through and does not boil. I brought it about 6 months ago and they are still selling the same model on their shelves. The lady at customer services was very rude and said she could not do anything as I did not have my receipt. I did not want a refund just to exchange for a new kettle the same model. Do I have any rights as surely a kettle should last longer than 6 months? And no I don't have the receipt - I brought the kettle along with my weekly shop and must have thrown the receipt away. I do not have the packaging either! Is there anything I can do as im loathe to buy a new one! It is an Asda own brand kettle as well.
Asda also guarantee all electrical products for 12 months, so as above amend tesco for asda lol
Closed Thread