Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Redex... any good? or is there a better option (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Redex... any good? or is there a better option
Closed Thread
Views: 84,330
# 1
the devil made me do it
Old 07-07-2006, 5:01 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Redex... any good? or is there a better option

I have a 1.7 Ford Puma, and have been thinking that maybe I should adding Redex. Is Redex a good treatment to use, or has anyone experienced a better product? help and advice appreciated
# 2
the devil made me do it
Old 07-07-2006, 11:08 PM

Hmm, I thought it was a good idea to use it to clean any carbon from the injector?? Hey, but I haven't a clue really, was just discussing it with a freind who has a suberu impretza (not sure if I've even spelt that right ), and they said, they use redex. I checked out a few websites, and there are a few redex treatments available, but I don't wanna waste my time if it's gonna do nothing to improve the car at all.
# 3
Quinny
Old 07-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Don't waste your money.

As has been said,petrol companies add various things to their particular brand fo fuel,which means you don't have to fork out on stuff that will make absolutely no difference at all.

Ken.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quinny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
the devil made me do it
Old 08-07-2006, 3:19 PM

cheers for the good advice.
# 5
tomstickland
Old 09-07-2006, 7:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Redex doesn't do anything.
Oh dear.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomstickland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Cumbrian Male
Old 09-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the devil made me do it
I have a 1.7 Ford Puma, and have been thinking that maybe I should adding Redex. Is Redex a good treatment to use, or has anyone experienced a better product? help and advice appreciated
Do you do lots of short journeys? Or travel in slow moving traffic?

There's always the old "Italian Tune Up"

Find a nice clear straight bit of road / motorway and keep your revs up over 4000 for at least 1/2 a mile. IE keep it in third gear not fly along at 100 mph.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cumbrian Male For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
the devil made me do it
Old 10-07-2006, 4:00 PM

I would say at the moment the car does a mixture of in town and motorway driving. However, late September will see the car getting used on fairly long motorway journeys, as my other half will travel to Uni and back possibly 5 days a week, each journey being 3 hours or more there and back.

I don't want to spend cash, if it's not going to benefit the car or my pocket. I get regular oil and filter changes ect.. so I'm always pretty on top when it comes to servicing my car.
# 8
richardb1
Old 31-05-2008, 12:49 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have used redex to clean an injector on a motorbike by immersing it in a container of redex and found you can actualy see the deposits desolve into the liquid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardb1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
CHRISSYG
Old 31-05-2008, 8:04 AM

deffinately not worth it my engine was never the same after i used it .
CHRISTMAS..............work in progress

YORK 2015...............paid
# 10
Snooze
Old 31-05-2008, 9:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISSYG View Post
deffinately not worth it my engine was never the same after i used it .
I had a similar experience but with Miller Oils diesel treatment. I used the correct dosage in my Astravan and now the engine clatters like a !!!!!!! and has lost power. Mechanic says the compression is down and reckons it's knacked the seals.

Not happy at all and won't be using it or any other fuel treatment again. The only engine treatment stuff I've found to be any cop is Wynn's Engine Flush just before you do an oil change. All the motors I've had have liked that and I highly rate it - just don't drive round all day with it in!! .

Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to Snooze For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
tomstickland
Old 31-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardb1 View Post
I have used redex to clean an injector on a motorbike by immersing it in a container of redex and found you can actualy see the deposits desolve into the liquid.
WD40 will do that too.

To me, Redex is a "snake oil" in a bottle marketing scam.
Oh dear.
# 12
Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
Old 31-05-2008, 10:51 AM

If you want to clean your injectors remove them and have them done ultrasonically. Otherwise, leave well alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pew Pew Pew Lasers! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
bartman
Old 31-05-2008, 10:57 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstickland View Post
WD40 will do that too.
Yep......and I have been told that WD40 is no more than white spirit.
If that's right, buying it in aerosol form as WD40 or whatever other brand name is a very expensive way to buy it!
# 14
Conor
Old 31-05-2008, 1:21 PM
PPR

Quote:
Redex doesn't do anything.
Yes it does. Pour it down the inlet manifold then floor the throttle. Make sure you do it in a wide open space though as there'll be clouds of muck chucked out of the exhaust.
# 15
tomstickland
Old 31-05-2008, 2:56 PM

Yes, I've done that before. I did in a narrow terraced street. Looked in the mirror and visibility was about 4m.
However, I think that's just the Redex burning.
I don't think that pouring into the fuel does anything. When I removed the head off an engine I poured some Redex onto a piston to see what would happen. Nothing much. Another time when WD40 was sprayed on, the next day all of the carbon deposits had cracked and were coming off.
Oh dear.
# 16
Conor
Old 31-05-2008, 8:19 PM
PPR

Quote:
Yes, I've done that before. I did in a narrow terraced street. Looked in the mirror and visibility was about 4m.
However, I think that's just the Redex burning.
It isn't because after you've done it a few times and its cleaned everything out, pouring Redex down it results in a slight smoking in the exhaust that's barely visible.
# 17
molerat
Old 31-05-2008, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooze View Post
I had a similar experience but with Miller Oils diesel treatment. I used the correct dosage in my Astravan and now the engine clatters like a !!!!!!! and has lost power. Mechanic says the compression is down and reckons it's knacked the seals.

Not happy at all and won't be using it or any other fuel treatment again. The only engine treatment stuff I've found to be any cop is Wynn's Engine Flush just before you do an oil change. All the motors I've had have liked that and I highly rate it - just don't drive round all day with it in!! .

Rob
Carbon was probably the only thing that was holding your engine together and you cleaned it all out. The same happens when people decide to put fully synthetic oil in an old engine "because it will make it run better".
The Following User Says Thank You to molerat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
koolkam
Old 03-07-2009, 6:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the devil made me do it View Post
my throttle is sticking after being on the motorway for a couple of hours, and when i start the car the revs are normally at 1300 even in neutral and when the clutch is pressed. i have been told to put redex in my fuel to clean the carbon off a butterfly valve whih is sticking open....this advice was off someone who is not a mechanic and has not looked at the car...should i take the advice?
# 19
AirCooledHeaven
Old 03-07-2009, 7:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkam View Post
my throttle is sticking after being on the motorway for a couple of hours, and when i start the car the revs are normally at 1300 even in neutral and when the clutch is pressed. i have been told to put redex in my fuel to clean the carbon off a butterfly valve whih is sticking open....this advice was off someone who is not a mechanic and has not looked at the car...should i take the advice?
Assuming your car is not fuel injected any butterfly valve will be on the inlet side of the engine before combustion, therefore not in a position to collect carbon deposits. I would take the advice with a big pinch of salt.
The Following User Says Thank You to AirCooledHeaven For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
goldspanners
Old 03-07-2009, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkam View Post
assuming it has a cable, you might find the cable is seizing up, disconnect the cable from the throttle and see if the throttle is moving freely enough without sticking,then try the cable and see if this seems sticky, you could try putting some WD40 down the inner cable to see if this helps if it does be prepared to be changing the cable soon.
...work permit granted!
The Following User Says Thank You to goldspanners For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread