Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the devil made me do it
    • By the devil made me do it 7th Jul 06, 5:01 PM
    • 5,373Posts
    • 2,248Thanks
    the devil made me do it
    Redex... any good? or is there a better option
    • 7th Jul 06, 5:01 PM
    Redex... any good? or is there a better option 7th Jul 06 at 5:01 PM
    I have a 1.7 Ford Puma, and have been thinking that maybe I should adding Redex. Is Redex a good treatment to use, or has anyone experienced a better product? help and advice appreciated
Page 1
    • By the devil made me do it 7th Jul 06, 11:08 PM
    • 5,373 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    the devil made me do it
    • 7th Jul 06, 11:08 PM
    • 7th Jul 06, 11:08 PM
    Hmm, I thought it was a good idea to use it to clean any carbon from the injector?? Hey, but I haven't a clue really, was just discussing it with a freind who has a suberu impretza (not sure if I've even spelt that right ), and they said, they use redex. I checked out a few websites, and there are a few redex treatments available, but I don't wanna waste my time if it's gonna do nothing to improve the car at all.
  • Quinny
    • 7th Jul 06, 11:51 PM
    • 7th Jul 06, 11:51 PM
    Don't waste your money.

As has been said,petrol companies add various things to their particular brand fo fuel,which means you don't have to fork out on stuff that will make absolutely no difference at all.

Ken.
    • By the devil made me do it 8th Jul 06, 3:19 PM
    • 5,373 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    the devil made me do it
    • 8th Jul 06, 3:19 PM
    • 8th Jul 06, 3:19 PM
    cheers for the good advice.
    • tomstickland
    • By tomstickland 9th Jul 06, 7:09 PM
    • 18,885 Posts
    • 15,427 Thanks
    tomstickland
    • 9th Jul 06, 7:09 PM
    • 9th Jul 06, 7:09 PM
    Redex doesn't do anything.
    Happy chappy
    • Cumbrian Male
    • By Cumbrian Male 9th Jul 06, 11:02 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Cumbrian Male
    • 9th Jul 06, 11:02 PM
    • 9th Jul 06, 11:02 PM
    I have a 1.7 Ford Puma, and have been thinking that maybe I should adding Redex. Is Redex a good treatment to use, or has anyone experienced a better product? help and advice appreciated
    by the devil made me do it
    Do you do lots of short journeys? Or travel in slow moving traffic?

There's always the old "Italian Tune Up"

Find a nice clear straight bit of road / motorway and keep your revs up over 4000 for at least 1/2 a mile. IE keep it in third gear not fly along at 100 mph.
    • By the devil made me do it 10th Jul 06, 4:00 PM
    • 5,373 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    the devil made me do it
    • 10th Jul 06, 4:00 PM
    • 10th Jul 06, 4:00 PM
    I would say at the moment the car does a mixture of in town and motorway driving. However, late September will see the car getting used on fairly long motorway journeys, as my other half will travel to Uni and back possibly 5 days a week, each journey being 3 hours or more there and back.

I don't want to spend cash, if it's not going to benefit the car or my pocket. I get regular oil and filter changes ect.. so I'm always pretty on top when it comes to servicing my car.
  • richardb1
    • 31st May 08, 12:49 AM
    • 31st May 08, 12:49 AM
    I have used redex to clean an injector on a motorbike by immersing it in a container of redex and found you can actualy see the deposits desolve into the liquid.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 31st May 08, 8:04 AM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 13,820 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    • 31st May 08, 8:04 AM
    • 31st May 08, 8:04 AM
    deffinately not worth it my engine was never the same after i used it .
    • Snooze
    • By Snooze 31st May 08, 9:13 AM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 3,413 Thanks
    Snooze
    deffinately not worth it my engine was never the same after i used it .
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG
    I had a similar experience but with Miller Oils diesel treatment. I used the correct dosage in my Astravan and now the engine clatters like a !!!!!!! and has lost power. Mechanic says the compression is down and reckons it's knacked the seals.

Not happy at all and won't be using it or any other fuel treatment again. The only engine treatment stuff I've found to be any cop is Wynn's Engine Flush just before you do an oil change. All the motors I've had have liked that and I highly rate it - just don't drive round all day with it in!! .

Rob
    • tomstickland
    • By tomstickland 31st May 08, 10:33 AM
    • 18,885 Posts
    • 15,427 Thanks
    tomstickland
    I have used redex to clean an injector on a motorbike by immersing it in a container of redex and found you can actualy see the deposits desolve into the liquid.
    Originally posted by richardb1
    WD40 will do that too.

To me, Redex is a "snake oil" in a bottle marketing scam.
    Happy chappy
  • Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
    If you want to clean your injectors remove them and have them done ultrasonically. Otherwise, leave well alone.
    • bartman
    • By bartman 31st May 08, 10:57 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    bartman
    WD40 will do that too.
    Originally posted by tomstickland
    Yep......and I have been told that WD40 is no more than white spirit.
    If that's right, buying it in aerosol form as WD40 or whatever other brand name is a very expensive way to buy it!
  • Conor
    Redex doesn't do anything.
    Yes it does. Pour it down the inlet manifold then floor the throttle. Make sure you do it in a wide open space though as there'll be clouds of muck chucked out of the exhaust.
    • tomstickland
    • By tomstickland 31st May 08, 2:56 PM
    • 18,885 Posts
    • 15,427 Thanks
    tomstickland
    Yes, I've done that before. I did in a narrow terraced street. Looked in the mirror and visibility was about 4m.
    However, I think that's just the Redex burning.
    I don't think that pouring into the fuel does anything. When I removed the head off an engine I poured some Redex onto a piston to see what would happen. Nothing much. Another time when WD40 was sprayed on, the next day all of the carbon deposits had cracked and were coming off.
    Happy chappy
  • Conor
    Yes, I've done that before. I did in a narrow terraced street. Looked in the mirror and visibility was about 4m.
    However, I think that's just the Redex burning.
    It isn't because after you've done it a few times and its cleaned everything out, pouring Redex down it results in a slight smoking in the exhaust that's barely visible.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 31st May 08, 8:29 PM
    • 13,339 Posts
    • 8,106 Thanks
    molerat
    I had a similar experience but with Miller Oils diesel treatment. I used the correct dosage in my Astravan and now the engine clatters like a !!!!!!! and has lost power. Mechanic says the compression is down and reckons it's knacked the seals.

Not happy at all and won't be using it or any other fuel treatment again. The only engine treatment stuff I've found to be any cop is Wynn's Engine Flush just before you do an oil change. All the motors I've had have liked that and I highly rate it - just don't drive round all day with it in!! .

Rob
    Originally posted by Snooze
    Carbon was probably the only thing that was holding your engine together and you cleaned it all out. The same happens when people decide to put fully synthetic oil in an old engine "because it will make it run better".
  • koolkam
    Originally posted by the devil made me do it
    my throttle is sticking after being on the motorway for a couple of hours, and when i start the car the revs are normally at 1300 even in neutral and when the clutch is pressed. i have been told to put redex in my fuel to clean the carbon off a butterfly valve whih is sticking open....this advice was off someone who is not a mechanic and has not looked at the car...should i take the advice?
    • AirCooledHeaven
    • By AirCooledHeaven 3rd Jul 09, 7:04 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    AirCooledHeaven
    my throttle is sticking after being on the motorway for a couple of hours, and when i start the car the revs are normally at 1300 even in neutral and when the clutch is pressed. i have been told to put redex in my fuel to clean the carbon off a butterfly valve whih is sticking open....this advice was off someone who is not a mechanic and has not looked at the car...should i take the advice?
    Originally posted by koolkam
    Assuming your car is not fuel injected any butterfly valve will be on the inlet side of the engine before combustion, therefore not in a position to collect carbon deposits. I would take the advice with a big pinch of salt.
  • goldspanners
    Originally posted by koolkam
    assuming it has a cable, you might find the cable is seizing up, disconnect the cable from the throttle and see if the throttle is moving freely enough without sticking,then try the cable and see if this seems sticky, you could try putting some WD40 down the inner cable to see if this helps if it does be prepared to be changing the cable soon.
    ...work permit granted!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

433Posts Today

2,318Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @CouncilReporter: How London's skyline will evolve if the 250 high rise towers planned or underway in the capital go ahead as planned ht?

• Age UK boss is right to say on BBC news "you cant compare 2yr fix to a 1yr fix" yet for a decent time it was expensive compared to 2yr fixes

• RT @MoneyTelegraph: Use the same password for everything? You're fuelling a surge in current account fraud https://t.co/hLRY5gkZoE

• Follow Martin