Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    angel.cake
    Cancelling Bannatynes gym membership
    • 29th Jan 10, 8:03 PM
    Cancelling Bannatynes gym membership 29th Jan 10 at 8:03 PM
    Gym memberships are one of those love/hate things. People love to sign up for then hate to go! I joined Bannatynes in 2006 and stayed for over 2 years until I moved out the area last year. I personally handed in my 3 months notice to expire in Jan 09. The receptionist was on the phone at the time but took the letter and I heard nothing more. After the 3 months, I cancelled my direct debit and moved away.

You can see where this is going! Of course, I started getting demands for another 3 months fees as they had no record of my cancellation. Apparently, all cancellations are followed-up with a telephone msg and a card confirming the cancellation. I pointed out that I was not even aware of this policy and it was not stated anywhere on the T&Cs. I was asked to provide proof of delivery even though I had said i hand-delivered it. Basically, every letter that I spent time writing and defending myself fell onto deaf ears as their responses did not even acknowledge things I had said.

In the end, I just stopped answering them (luckily I had not given my new address). And guess what, not heard a thing in nearly 10 months!

My point is, do not waste your time with long, cleverly-worded letters in defense as I am afraid they have significant numbers of staff with below average IQ and they are unable to work out what you are saying so they send you a standard letter that is slightly adjusted to look personalised.

Of people I have spoken to, no one knows of anyone who has been taken to court for a supposed debt to Bannatynes.

Remember, it is a service contract, not a credit agreement.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,199Posts Today

7,761Users online

Martin's Twitter