Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    blued
    Buying a car without the V5
    • 27th Jan 10, 11:04 AM
    Buying a car without the V5 27th Jan 10 at 11:04 AM
    I plan to view a car at the weekend and the current owner has said he cant for the life of him find the v5 anywhere. He has checked and a new one can be applied for (at cost of £25) using a v62 form. For a current owner this takes 10 working days and a new owner 20 working days.

He has said if I wanted the car he can give me a written receipt but other than insurance documents he cant prove ownership as he bought it privately from a friend.

He has forwarded me the mytextcheck messages that he's received that details that it isn't stolen etc. (if interested I'd obviously do my own HPI check).

By googling his name I've found a review the owner wrote for this car back in October so I'm leaning towards it not being stolen!

I know the advice is to not buy a car without a v5 but there are genuine where people lose things. I could pay a deposit and ask him to apply for the v5 and wait (proabably at least) 2 weeks for it to come through and then go down and buy it. Not really ideal for me or the seller though!

Is there anything else I can do to check ownership?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6,388Posts Today

7,408Users online

Martin's Twitter