Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > 08454122700 - Is it t-mobile (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
08454122700 - Is it t-mobile
Closed Thread
Views: 16,178
# 1
OneADay
Old 26-01-2010, 8:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default 08454122700 - Is it t-mobile

Me suspects its not - my contract is up in April and I get a call from this numebr today stating I am due to an early upgrade 3 months before end (yeah right thats why my t-mobile account tells me I can change plans in March - one month before end).

Whocallsme has lots of people with comments about this number - anyone else got definitive knowledge of who this number is?

Going to be complaining to t-mobile (given the news about data loss last year at t-mobile).
# 2
carrieparkinson
Old 26-01-2010, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to carrieparkinson

looks promising to be tmobile ... we outbound call on 0845412 XXXX numbers. there are a few outbound teams calling people offering early upgrades so sounds legitimate to me... (i work for tmobile but not outbound sales)
does my bum look big in this sig?
The Following User Says Thank You to carrieparkinson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
**Rab**
Old 26-01-2010, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

the number definitely is t-mobile sometimes they do outbound calls to certain customers with retention deals
# 4
OneADay
Old 26-01-2010, 8:59 PM

But why would t-mobile offer 3 month early upgrade to me when my online account says I can change plan in March (1 month before end).

I suppose it could be t-mobile but I would rather I was notified by post or email rather than getting a cold call out of the blue (especially given t-mobile lost customer data last year).
# 5
**Rab**
Old 26-01-2010, 9:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneADay View Post
But why would t-mobile offer 3 month early upgrade to me when my online account says I can change plan in March (1 month before end).

I suppose it could be t-mobile but I would rather I was notified by post or email rather than getting a cold call out of the blue (especially given t-mobile lost customer data last year).
because if you accept an upgrade your with them for another 12,18 or 24 months making them money if you downgrade your plan you make them less
The Following User Says Thank You to **Rab** For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
OneADay
Old 26-01-2010, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Rab** View Post
because if you accept an upgrade your with them for another 12,18 or 24 months making them money if you downgrade your plan you make them less
No chance of me upgrading - I have two 12 month mobiles with t-mobile - one ends in April, the other in November. The former will go on pay and go plan or pac code out for another cheap deal .
# 7
wattywattwatt
Old 26-01-2010, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Got a call from an almost identical number (one digit out) a couple of weeks ago, my earliest upgrade is the end of Feb. The caller said she was from t-mobile offering me an early upgrade, she asked my name, which I gave, then started spouting some nonsense about data protection and asking for my account password 'to check my usage and see what she could offer me'. This set off alarm bells, so I told her in no uncertain terms that I would not be giving out any personal info to an unsolicited caller. The upshot of it all was that I terminated the conversation despite her protestations that she was genuine.
Anyhow, the next day I rang T-mobile cust services and they confirmed that this was one of their marketing people and the call was genuine! I then asked about an upgrade and was told that my earliest was 24/02/10, which was when I expected it, so no upgrade for me!
No way was I giving out personal details to someone I didn't know from Adam, it seems as though t-mobile don't have a clue how to deal with the public these days after all the fuss over loss of personal data I would think they would know better than to try cold calling from an unrecognised number.

Last edited by wattywattwatt; 26-01-2010 at 9:31 PM. Reason: spelling error
The Following User Says Thank You to wattywattwatt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
greyster
Old 27-01-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:

cheaper for t-mobile to upgrade you earlier than potentially lose you as a customer when your contract ends.
# 9
OneADay
Old 27-01-2010, 9:38 AM

I checked with t-mobile via email and got a response that the number is genuine and is the t-mobile loyalty and rentention team.
# 10
wattywattwatt
Old 27-01-2010, 11:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yeah, but I bet they didn't offer you an upgrade or tell you how to contact them again, if you call the number it doesn't connect you, just tells you you had a call from t-mobile. I wonder if they would respond to a text?
# 11
OneADay
Old 27-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattywattwatt View Post
Yeah, but I bet they didn't offer you an upgrade or tell you how to contact them again, if you call the number it doesn't connect you, just tells you you had a call from t-mobile. I wonder if they would respond to a text?
Actually the reply says if I consider an upgrade I can call them on 150 or an alternative 0845 number. I also noted online I am now able to change my plan one level up but keep paying the same amount per month (from Combi 30 to Combi 35).

New price plans being shown online now http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...y/combi/plans/
The Following User Says Thank You to OneADay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
wattywattwatt
Old 27-01-2010, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for that. I tried calling 150 and they just said that my upgrade was not available til next month. Seems as though the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing!
Might be worth trying again though, don't think I can put up with my rubbish phone for much longer!
# 13
tronator
Old 28-05-2010, 5:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry for bringing up this "old" thread, but I got a call from the same number yesterday. The lady offered me an early upgrade, 2 month and a few days before my contract ends. I listened to her and told her to call me again in a week as I need time to compare the offers. Today I went to my T-Mobile shop and the guy told me that he can't do anything until one month before the contract ends.

So is it possible that the "loyalty and rentention team" can give you deals earlier (and even better ones) than the T-Mobile shop. I'm a bit worried that this call was from a reseller pretending to be T-Mobile, although somebody in this thread confirmed that it is T-Mobile.

However, wouldn't this renewal be covered by the DSR anyway in case it turns out that I've been mis-sold something? Maybe I should record the call next week, just In case...
# 14
OneADay
Old 28-05-2010, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronator View Post
Sorry for bringing up this "old" thread, but I got a call from the same number yesterday. The lady offered me an early upgrade, 2 month and a few days before my contract ends. I listened to her and told her to call me again in a week as I need time to compare the offers. Today I went to my T-Mobile shop and the guy told me that he can't do anything until one month before the contract ends.

So is it possible that the "loyalty and rentention team" can give you deals earlier (and even better ones) than the T-Mobile shop. I'm a bit worried that this call was from a reseller pretending to be T-Mobile, although somebody in this thread confirmed that it is T-Mobile.

However, wouldn't this renewal be covered by the DSR anyway in case it turns out that I've been mis-sold something? Maybe I should record the call next week, just In case...
In my case, they did try to offer me the early deal which I did not want, primarily because my contract was cashback deal and I could not change the tariff early (if I did, I would have lost the cashback).

Upgrades - you can return them within 7 or 14 days (you need to confirm with t-mobile) as long as you do not use the phone, just examine it etc (again confirm with t-mobile before taking the upgrade).

I actually stayed with T-mobile in end but did not renew - got another contract from an online retailer - had to phaff around porting existing number out to another network (in April) and then back to t-mobile.
The Following User Says Thank You to OneADay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
tronator
Old 28-05-2010, 6:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Upgrades - you can return them within 7 or 14 days (you need to confirm with t-mobile) as long as you do not use the phone, just examine it etc (again confirm with t-mobile before taking the upgrade).
I want to keep my phone and want to go for a SIM only contract. The lady said she could knock off 10 of the tariff if I want to keep my phone. I'm not sure whether she meant 10 off the SIM only price or off the price with a new phone. I'll find out next week. I also want to go for less minutes. I come nowhere near my free 700 minutes, rather 100-300 minutes...
# 16
gjchester
Old 28-05-2010, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattywattwatt View Post
No way was I giving out personal details to someone I didn't know from Adam, it seems as though t-mobile don't have a clue how to deal with the public these days after all the fuss over loss of personal data I would think they would know better than to try cold calling from an unrecognised number.
To be honest there are a lot of companies who do that and get upset when you won't talk to them. My credit card does it and I tell them to go away and call them on the no on my statement. It's always been legit but no sense in risking my identity for the sake of a call.
# 17
tronator
Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronator View Post
I want to keep my phone and want to go for a SIM only contract. The lady said she could knock off 10 of the tariff if I want to keep my phone. I'm not sure whether she meant 10 off the SIM only price or off the price with a new phone. I'll find out next week. I also want to go for less minutes. I come nowhere near my free 700 minutes, rather 100-300 minutes...
Just a quick update. I got the following deal from the "loyalty and retention team" and couldn't resist to take advantage I renewed for the next 24 month and got 300 minutes + 300 texts + "unlimited" Internet for just 5 a month. Since they renewed my contract 2 months early I saved 2*30 of my current contract, which pays for the first year of my new contract. That's moneysaving
The Following User Says Thank You to tronator For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread