Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > How much savings are you allowed when applying fo... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much savings are you allowed when applying for JSA?
Closed Thread
Views: 13,747
# 1
unclekevin
Old 26-01-2010, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How much savings are you allowed when applying for JSA?

What is the amount you are allowed to have in savings and still be entitled to JSA?
# 2
healy
Old 26-01-2010, 6:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclekevin View Post
What is the amount you are allowed to have in savings and still be entitled to JSA?
Contribution based unlimited.

Income based 6000 for the full amount, 6000 to 16000 for a reduced amount. Savings over 16000 no payment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
briona
Old 26-01-2010, 6:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
If you have made enough contributions in the relevant tax years, you will be able to claim contributions-based JSA for a maximum of 6 months. This is NOT affected by any savings you have.

If after 6 months you have not found a job, or if you are not eligible for contributions-based JSA, you will need to claim income-based JSA. For income-based JSA, you will need to declare your savings. Anything between 6,000 and 16,000 will affect your benefits. You lose 1 of benefits for every 250 or part thereof that you have in savings. If you have more than 16,000 in savings you will not be eligible for income-based JSA. Note that your eligibility for this benefit will also be affected by having a partner who is earning.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Healy!
If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to briona For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
karenx
Old 26-01-2010, 6:50 PM

If you do get to apply for housing benefits also ( as per your other post ) then your savings are affected also! So if you have the 16k in savings theres no chance you will get housing benefit
# 5
Vader123
Old 26-01-2010, 7:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

How much do you have?

Vader
# 6
unclekevin
Old 26-01-2010, 9:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have roughly about 11,000,but 3,000 of that belongs to my parents! Will that affect me?
# 7
sunnyone
Old 26-01-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I have roughly about 11,000,but 3,000 of that belongs to my parents! Will that affect me?
If its in your bank account yes!

A paper trail may muddy the lines but its unlikely.
# 8
unclekevin
Old 26-01-2010, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The money is in 3 seperate accounts, 1 is an ISA which is my parents which has 3000, 1 account has 3000 in and the other account is where i used to get my wages paid in to and that has 5000 in. The accounts are all at the same building society
# 9
sunnyone
Old 26-01-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
The money is in 3 seperate accounts, 1 is an ISA which is my parents which has 3000, 1 account has 3000 in and the other account is where i used to get my wages paid in to and that has 5000 in. The accounts are all at the same building society
Can you prove that it is your parents money because they transfered it/paid by cheque and why did they do it?

The obvious reason is to hide there savings?
# 10
unclekevin
Old 26-01-2010, 10:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

They had 6000 in an ISA and they wanted another ISA opening in the same tax year so i opened up an ISA in my name and transferred 3000, what do you advise? I am really worried that it will affect me when i go tomorrow to the jobcentre

Last edited by unclekevin; 26-01-2010 at 10:26 PM.
# 11
unclekevin
Old 26-01-2010, 11:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am a bit confused as after reading other websites it seems that if you have anything over 16000 you can not claim JSA. but if your savings are over 6,000 - then they will deduct 1 for every 250.

So does that mean i will be ok?
# 12
briona
Old 26-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I am a bit confused as after reading other websites it seems that if you have anything over 16000 you can not claim JSA. but if your savings are over 6,000 - then they will deduct 1 for every 250.

So does that mean i will be ok?
This has already been explained to you. Twice.

If you are eligible to claim contributions-based JSA your savings are NOT taken into account! However you can only claim CB JSA for 6 months, after which you apply for income-based JSA.

If you have not made enough contributions you will have to apply for income-based JSA, for which your savings are taken into account. If you have between 6,000 and 16,000, you will lose 1 of benefits for every 250 or part thereof that you have in savings. If you have more than 16,000 in savings you will not be eligible to claim.
If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.

Last edited by briona; 26-01-2010 at 11:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to briona For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
unclekevin
Old 26-01-2010, 11:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ok, it's just that i have a meeting tomorrow at the jobcentre to see if i can claim JSA as i was dismissed from my job for gross misconduct and i will or might get sanctioned, i have worked for the last 11 years
# 14
briona
Old 26-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Ok, it's just that i have a meeting tomorrow at the jobcentre to see if i can claim JSA as i was dismissed from my job for gross misconduct and i will or might get sanctioned, i have worked for the last 11 years
As you have been sacked for gross misconduct you will probably face a sanction, which can be anything up to 26 weeks. This would mean that you would not receive any payments for that length of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to briona For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
unclekevin
Old 26-01-2010, 11:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

That i understand, i (think) i can claim for hardship payment, i was just wanting advice regarding savings!
# 16
Fire Fox
Old 27-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
They had 6000 in an ISA and they wanted another ISA opening in the same tax year so i opened up an ISA in my name and transferred 3000, what do you advise? I am really worried that it will affect me when i go tomorrow to the jobcentre
Tax evasion?
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
# 17
sulkisu
Old 27-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
That i understand, i (think) i can claim for hardship payment, i was just wanting advice regarding savings!
If you are sanctioned as a result of being sacked for gross misconduct, I doubt that you will be able to claim hardship - besides you have savings, so surely you won't be suffering?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulkisu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
seven-day-weekend
Old 27-01-2010, 4:44 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Why on earth do people have 'other people's' money in their names? It belongs to whosever name is on the account for Benefits purposes.

You could tell them it 'belonged to' Joe Bloggs, Gordon Brown, the cat or HM the Queen it would still have your name on!

I could apply for means-tested Benefits anfd tell them all my savings belong to my son, regardless of the fact they have my name on. Anyone could wriggle out of the savings limit that way. (Not saying the OP is trying to do this).
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend

Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 27-01-2010 at 12:41 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
viktory
Old 27-01-2010, 7:42 AM
PPR

Quote:
Why would you claim hardship when you have 11k in savings?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to viktory For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
karenx
Old 27-01-2010, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Why on earth would the government give you a hardship payment when you were sacked from your job and you have 11k sitting in your bank account........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karenx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread