Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 419
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 15th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    phatbear
    weather it would be a fav bar or place to eat, a place you go every time you go to new york!
    Originally posted by bobbyhibs
    My favourite place to eat is the spotted pig in the west village i think its now michelin starred, i could be wrong though, the food is great and a good atmosphere in the bar.

My go to, and it never feels like ive arrived in new york unless i go here, is virgils, which just off times square.

For a liquid evening i highly recommend the trailer park lounge its trashy americana but the drinks are good, the wait staff are awesome, and i love their bar food.

Things to do, have you walked the highline? You can get some decent pics from there as its a dis used subway track which is above street level.

You mention youve been up totr however have you done it at sun down. If not get up there an hour before sunset and watch the sunset and manhattan light up, this is the one thing i always do when i take people to new york.

Also i highly recommend pre organising a big apple greeter, they are totally free and they arent even allowed to take tips, my last one wouldnt even allow me to buy him a coffee. When you request one you can mention you wish to see some unusual places to take photos and they will hook you up.

If you let us know a tad more about you then someone may be able to suggest some different things to do
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • bobbyhibs
    • By bobbyhibs 16th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    bobbyhibs
    hi phatbear
    and thank you for the deatiled feedback, it is very much appreacited!

I was looking at google searches of things to go in new york or something similar and will i read something about the highline- so will be looking into that !

thanks for the info on the spotted pig( like the name !) and the trailer park lounge!
    as for totr-doing it at sunset what a good idea!!

as about myself im really unsure what to say, early 30's,. going with my brother whom is 27,we like to take pcitures and do like walking-, on our first trip we did alot of walking, we walked from the wall strret area and back towards times sqaure- we went through china town and sorta got lost (kinda took a lucky turn and thought ok go up that way and got lucky and found out way back to our hotel !!)
    I guess maybe looking at tv (no intrest in freinds,unless you count jennifer anniston !!)-movie kinda places where things were filmed maybe be of intrest, ghostbusters ( the 80's version) being an example prehpas. though im stuggling to to think of more tv-movies at the moment (sorry)

I guess when it comes down to drinking- we are polar opposites, my brother likes to drink different kinda drinks where i dont touch the booze! but as long as they serve soft drinks i guess maybe themed-intresting kinda bars-lounges would appeal

thanks in advance
    Last edited by bobbyhibs; 24-07-2017 at 3:10 PM.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 17,884 Posts
    • 7,299 Thanks
    richardw
    A lot of bars also have websites where they have their cocktail menus, these often have mocktails or alcohol free drinks, have a quick google before going there.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 16th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    Amanda65
    Any tips apreciated
    Hi all

We are a party of 4 adults travelling to New York en route to Antigua in September and want to make the most of our time there. I have been before, years ago, but my travelling companions haven't. We are staying at the Hilton Midtown, land midday Saturday and leave very early on Tuesday morning. So a few questions for you lovely people

1) My 'must do' list has ESB, TOTR, ferry trip round the Statue of Liberty, walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 memorial and a show (for 2 of us - not fussed what we see) While we're at the show the two guys, who are craft beer fans, want to try a few bars. What am I missing?

2) I've seen lots of tour passes available - is there a particular one that is better value, bearing in mind the above.

3) OH wants a pastrami on rye - any deli recommendations? And food /drink recommendations in general?

3) The Saturday we travel is our 28th wedding anniversary and hubby and I would like a nice meal and cocktails on a roof terrace. I have done some research and found Print restaurant which gives us priority access to the Press Lounge. Anyone been there? We want somewhere we can book.

4) For our show we are looking at booking tickets before we go rather than queue for ages due to limited time in the City - can you recommend the best sites?

I am doing loads of research too but would welcome any tips to make us use our time wisely. I am not worried about being on the go constantly as we've then got 10 days to relax in Antigua

TIA x
    • Duckyduck
    • By Duckyduck 17th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Duckyduck
    hi phatbear
    and thank you for the deatiled feedback, it is very much appreacited!

I was looking at google searches of things to go in new york or something similar and will i read something about the highline- so will be looking into that !

thanks for the info on the spotted pig( like the name !) and the trailer park lounge!
    as for totp-doing it at sunset what a good idea!!

as about myself im really unsure what to say, early 30's,. going with my brother whom is 27,we like to take pcitures and do like walking-, on our first trip we did alot of walking, we walked from the wall strret area and back towards times sqaure- we went through china town and sorta got lost (kinda took a lucky turn and thought ok go up that way and got lucky and found out way back to our hotel !!)
    I guess maybe looking at tv (no intrest in freinds,unless you count jennifer anniston !!)-movie kinda places where things were filmed maybe be of intrest, ghostbusters ( the 80's version) being an example prehpas. though im stuggling to to think of more tv-movies at the moment (sorry)

I guess when it comes down to drinking- we are polar opposites, my brother likes to drink different kinda drinks where i dont touch the booze! but as long as they serve soft drinks i guess maybe themed-intresting kinda bars-lounges would appeal

thanks in advance
    Originally posted by bobbyhibs
    I was really impressed with the One World observatory at the top of the world trade centre. You get the view right up Manhattan, and there's a really good preshow before you get to the view, overall a much better experience than TOTR or Empire State Building. The 9/11 memorial is also really well done I thought.

Taking the subway to downtown Brooklyn then walking along the promenade and over Brooklyn bridge gives fantastic views, as does the Staten Island Ferry which is my must do every time I'm there.

I'm about the same age as you and found Williamsburg a good area for bars - lots of craft beers places, table tennis, retro arcade games...all sorts of stuff. You'll be able to get soft drinks in any of them.
    Save £12k in 2017 #10
    • Rebecca01
    • By Rebecca01 23rd Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 632 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    Rebecca01
    Does anyone have any advice on NYC in a day. We are there two nights as a stop over on our way to other parts of the USA. We arrive at one and are staying in Times Square.

The first night we thought we could check out this area , get something to eat etc.

Then the next day, which is our only full day. We are not sure.

Oh hates heights so he has no interest in ESB or TOTR but we would like to do the Staten island ferry for SOL view and central park, possibly the Brooklyn bridge. Is this realistic in a day? What about an open top bus tour? Anything we are majorly missing? Not bothered about museums on a short trip.

Also we are doing the air train etc from JFK but is taxi the best way for LGA? As we want to keep costs minimal but I read on here that the bus to LGA doesn't allow suitcases.

Thanks in advance.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 23rd Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Ganga
    The Staten island ferry is free but is the bottom of long island and central park is near the top,however the subway which is cheap runs between both so you can do both easy.The ferry to staten island and back will only take about 90 mins so gives you time to catch subway and spend about 3-4 hours in the park and see the Dakota building were Jonn Lennon was shot.
    Hope you enjoy your time in NY
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • richardw
    • By richardw 23rd Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 17,884 Posts
    • 7,299 Thanks
    richardw
    Times Sq to LGA is quick and easy by taxi and not expensive.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 23rd Jul 17, 3:40 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    phatbear
    The Staten island ferry is free but is the bottom of long island and central park is near the top
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Are you sure about that?

The staten island ferry doesnt go anywhere near long island
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 23rd Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Ganga
    Are you sure about that?

The staten island ferry doesnt go anywhere near long island
    Originally posted by phatbear
    Sorry about that i thought that Manhatten was classed as long Island.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 23rd Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    phatbear
    central park is near the top
    Originally posted by Ganga
    And without wishing to labour the point....

Central park starts at 59th and stretches to 110th however manhattan goes beyond 193rd street so its not at the top of manhattan in fact its pretty "central"
    • Rebecca01
    • By Rebecca01 23rd Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    Rebecca01
    Thanks

How long would the subway take between the two?
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 23rd Jul 17, 5:32 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    phatbear
    Does anyone have any advice on NYC in a day. We are there two nights as a stop over on our way to other parts of the USA.
    Originally posted by Rebecca01
    My top tip is to start a googlemap and drop pins in all the place you want to go.

My 1st trip back in the day involved me constantly getting on subways to go up and down the island to get to places rather than ticking things off in one area, thus making the most of my/your time.

For example, brooklyn bridge/the world trade centre site/wall street/bowling green/and the ferry for staten island are all in a nice walkable area.

Times square/grand central station/chrysler building again all with 15/20mins walk of each other.

Re your other halfs fear of heigths im the same i hate heights but i always head of totr on each trip as i feel being high up in a secure building is totally different to being up a ladder etc
    • John259
    • By John259 23rd Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    John259
    About 30 minutes:
    Map, route and time: https://goo.gl/maps/HLSekmRJUwD2
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 23rd Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    phatbear
    Thanks

South ferry to central park is 30mins on the subway.

Googlemaps will tell you how long it takes to walk or how long on public transport
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 23rd Jul 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    Amanda65
    A quick (hopefully) question

We arrive at JFK at 11:10 on Saturday 9th September and plan to get the Airline then subway to Penn Station (believe it's the closest to our hotel - we're staying at Hilton Midtown). Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it usually takes to clear customs and then a rough idea of travel time to Penn?

We are considering booking a 2:30pm 9/11 tour but I don't know if that would be doable / too ambitious?

Thanks in advance
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 23rd Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    phatbear

We arrive at JFK at 11:10 on Saturday 9th September and plan to get the Airline then subway to Penn Station (believe it's the closest to our hotel - we're staying at Hilton Midtown). Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it usually takes to clear customs and then a rough idea of travel time to Penn?

We are considering booking a 2:30pm 9/11 tour but I don't know if that would be doable / too ambitious?
    Originally posted by Amanda65
    Id say its a push.

First off penn station is on 33rd and your hotel is on 53rd, approx 1.3 miles away so its not the closest subway station the closest is 7th avenue, which is a 2min walk from your hotel.

Clearing immigration and customs has never been an issue for me its never taken me more than 30mins however i know people who have taken an hour plus. The travel time to penn from jfk is approx 50mins.
    • bleepandbooster
    • By bleepandbooster 23rd Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    bleepandbooster
    That may be ambitious ... me thinks. Just think if you get delayed, or the Subway has a problem. Your hotel room may not be ready either. Personally I wouldn't book anything that day.

Don't forget to have a look at a roof top bar . like the Skylark one evening .... great views of the ESB !

Cofion
    David
    • Amanda65
    • By Amanda65 23rd Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    Amanda65
    Id say its a push.

First off penn station is on 33rd and your hotel is on 53rd, approx 1.3 miles away so its not the closest subway station the closest is 7th avenue, which is a 2min walk from your hotel.

Clearing immigration and customs has never been an issue for me its never taken me more than 30mins however i know people who have taken an hour plus. The travel time to penn from jfk is approx 50mins.
    Originally posted by phatbear
    Thank you for the subway tip!
    • John259
    • By John259 24th Jul 17, 8:57 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    John259
    You can use Google Maps to find subway stations near points of interest, for example:
    subway stations near new york hilton midtown
    https://goo.gl/maps/mNrqV5WX2Vp

(Be sure to check that it's not listing Subway locations as in the sub sandwich fast food chain.)
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,567Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin