Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 418
    • bobbyhibs
    • By bobbyhibs 4th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    bobbyhibs
    Thanks, is that Norwegian direct?

How do we get esta is the next thing to do?
    Originally posted by AG47

hi

as for your esta https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

(i got this link from the las vegas thread which is on the main board if you wanna check via that option, page 1 of the las vegas guide and mse guide 2017)

you ll need your passports(everyone travelling in your group) , putting in your passport numbers n stuff, and i think its about $14 per person and lasts for 2 years
    hope this helps
    Last edited by bobbyhibs; 04-07-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    • AG47
    • By AG47 5th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    Has anybody else done that visa thing for USA?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
    • AG47
    • By AG47 5th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    hi

as for your esta https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

(i got this link from the las vegas thread which is on the main board if you wanna check via that option, page 1 of the las vegas guide and mse guide 2017)

you ll need your passports(everyone travelling in your group) , putting in your passport numbers n stuff, and i think its about $14 per person and lasts for 2 years
    hope this helps
    Originally posted by bobbyhibs
    Thanks so much just seen your post.
    • bobbyhibs
    • By bobbyhibs 5th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    bobbyhibs
    Thanks so much just seen your post.
    no worries- any more questions just ask and im sure someone will hopefully know the answer
    • AG47
    • By AG47 5th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    no worries- any more questions just ask and im sure someone will hopefully know the answer
    Originally posted by bobbyhibs
    So we are flying to Stewart international airport, and staying at a hotel near fish kill north of the city.

We are going over for a wedding but want to make it a 4 day long weekend.

Thinking about doing a tour around ny city, any suggestions, is there a good reasonably priced open top bus tour or something like that?
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 21,894 Posts
    • 55,910 Thanks
    pollypenny
    So we are flying to Stewart international airport, and staying at a hotel near fish kill north of the city.

We are going over for a wedding but want to make it a 4 day long weekend.

Thinking about doing a tour around ny city, any suggestions, is there a good reasonably priced open top bus tour or something like that?

If you buy Grayline/City tickets uptown or downtown separately they cost $49 each. Get them together for $59.

Bonuses- free evening tour and free boat tour! Plus a card which gives discounts on selected restaurants and sites.

My prices are from 2015, so check.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • bobbyhibs
    • By bobbyhibs 6th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    bobbyhibs
    hi

im unsure how the prices compare but there are loads of people from the open top buses companies selling the tickets about in manhattan.also have you checked on sites.. like expedia, i noticed they have like an option of *things to do* where you put in the city and the dates your going, and it shows you things to do. prehaps there are other sites people can surggest?

hope this helps
    • AG47
    • By AG47 6th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    One other thing, to hire a car in ny is a uk driving licence enough? Or do you need an international one?
    • AG47
    • By AG47 6th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    Trying to decide if driving round NY city is best considering parking charges and all, or just get train from hotel?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 7,291 Thanks
    richardw
    Just get the train.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 6th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 9,084 Thanks
    jackieblack
    One other thing, to hire a car in ny is a uk driving licence enough? Or do you need an international one?
    Trying to decide if driving round NY city is best considering parking charges and all, or just get train from hotel?
    I agree with richardw, get the train

IMO you'd have to be certifiably insane to hire a car to drive around NYC

(Cue several people saying they did and it was fine, but I've driven thousands of miles in nearly two dozen different states and wouldn't in a million years even consider driving in Manhattan)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 37,491 Posts
    • 33,801 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    A few years ago a UK one was fine, and they didn't even ask to look at DH's even though we had him as a named drive.

Do NOT drive around NY city. Never mind the parking charges, just finding a space would be a challenge, and the actual driving - nooooooo!

I agree with richardw, get the train

IMO you'd have to be certifiably insane to hire a car to drive around NYC

(Cue several people saying they did and it was fine, but I've driven thousands of miles in nearly two dozen different states and wouldn't in a million years even consider driving in Manhattan)
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    We drove back to the airport after we'd hired a car from OUTSIDE NYC and that was bad enough. No way would I have wanted to drive in the time we were actually staying in NY.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • AG47
    • By AG47 7th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    A few years ago a UK one was fine, and they didn't even ask to look at DH's even though we had him as a named drive.

Do NOT drive around NY city. Never mind the parking charges, just finding a space would be a challenge, and the actual driving - nooooooo!

We drove back to the airport after we'd hired a car from OUTSIDE NYC and that was bad enough. No way would I have wanted to drive in the time we were actually staying in NY.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Thanks, o what the deal with hiring a car, what licence do you need?
    • John259
    • By John259 7th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    John259
    Thanks, o what the deal with hiring a car, what licence do you need?
    A UK licence is all you need. It's very unlikely that you'll be asked for anything beyond the normal photo bit, but it might be a good idea to take all the bits and do the DVLC code thing as well.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • AG47
    • By AG47 11th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    A UK licence is all you need. It's very unlikely that you'll be asked for anything beyond the normal photo bit, but it might be a good idea to take all the bits and do the DVLC code thing as well.
    Originally posted by John259
    Thanks John, I only have a photo add, so this is all I cn bring.

I was reading Martin Lewis page about being careful with extra insurance, he said also make sure the credit card is in the drivers name.

I have another concern, my parents are paying for our hotel with their credit card, will this matter? Will the hotel insist that the card be of the name of the people staying there?
    • AG47
    • By AG47 12th Jul 17, 7:44 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    What's it like hiring a car and driving round USA?

Not in the city, but just outside NY city, in Connecticut
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Jul 17, 8:07 AM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 7,291 Thanks
    richardw
    Easy, big wide roads, car with auto transmission.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • AG47
    • By AG47 13th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    Is it ok to use parents credit card at hotel? If it's different name
    • AG47
    • By AG47 13th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    AG47
    The hotel says you can use another persons credit card but they want a photocopy of the front and back.

This is ok isn't it?

It's just that my in laws have a better credit card for pounds to dollars, I get hit by all kinds of charges on my card.

So we want to put the flights and hotel on my in laws credit card and give them the pounds sterling later.

We will pay for most other things in usd that we are exchanging
    • bobbyhibs
    • By bobbyhibs 15th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    bobbyhibs
    Hidden gems
    hi

Having recently booked up for new york in may 2018-ye i know its ages away. i have started planning our trip and looking for some advice on any hidden gems- places of intrest if you will, weather it would be a fav bar or place to eat, a place you go every time you go to new york!

also- any tips on great places to take photos? i guess places with views looking down on the city, but other ideas are welcomed of course!!
    we are planning to do top of the rock again, we did this on our last trip and were amazed!

any advice welcomed, we are going for 6 days- staying at the sheraton times sqaure and are counting down the days!!
    any tips -advice most welcomed
    kind regards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

471Posts Today

5,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin