Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 413
    • srisport
    • By srisport 13th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    srisport
    Thanks for that,i have seen on facebook that NY is expecting between 18 and 24 inches of snow next week,looks like we went at the right time
    Originally posted by Ganga
    well the snow better get there and gone before 12 April when I'm due to land at JFK!
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 13th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 3,047 Thanks
    phatbear
    Sounds like you had a cracking time and dont be suprised if youve caught the NY bug

Day 2. Collected coffee,s from starbucks

Day 3 Collect breakfast from starbucks

Day 4 Collect breakfast from starbucks
    Maybe if you go again you can experience a bit of new york diner culture rather than rely on starbucks?
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 14th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Ganga
    Sounds like you had a cracking time and dont be suprised if youve caught the NY bug

Maybe if you go again you can experience a bit of new york diner culture rather than rely on starbucks?
    Originally posted by phatbear
    Yes you could be right,the problem we had was that there was a diner near to our hotel but i went in and they said they did not open till 9.00am ( it might have been Sunday ) but starbucks was open everytime and two coffees and a muffin to go was ideal allthough when i asked for a black coffee and a white coffee they looked at me like i had just spoken in a langauge that they had not heard before ( i did not realise that you just bought black coffee and put your own milk in )
    phatbear i believe you work in the "security aspect " of one off our airports,i must say clearing security at Heathrow was the most pleasant part (airport related) of our journey with a smile and a chat from the man in the booth.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 14th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 3,016 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    Thanks for that,i have seen on facebook that NY is expecting between 18 and 24 inches of snow next week,looks like we went at the right time
    Looks like you escaped just in time Times Square webcam
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 14th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Ganga
    Looks like you escaped just in time Times Square webcam
    Originally posted by pompeyrich
    Pleased we are not there at the moment,can you imagine how cold it must be at the TOTR and the view must be poor,feel sorry for visitors who have commited to this time of the year and are stuck there
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 16th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 5,990 Thanks
    74jax
    5 weeks.... come on sunshine!
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • vanessa1977
    • By vanessa1977 24th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    vanessa1977
    Hello
    Have trawled through quite a few pages on when might be the best time to book flights/hotels to NYC as has been >10y since I visited. Ideally want to travel this year in Sept, but can also visit in August, Oct or Nov/Dec (post thanksgiving). Thinking about 5 or 7n, live in London.

Am generally a thrifty traveller and prepared to look at lots of websites. Have been punching in lots of dates. Prices for 7n in Sept around £870-1050 each in 3-3.5* hotel in Manhattan (depending on what date I punched in). 5n Sept £690-780. 5n Oct £710. 7n August £845-900. 5n Aug £780.

So are these good prices to be locked in or should I wait. Ave plane ticket is working out 368-399 (leaving am and getting o/n flight back to max time). I booked our flights to LAX (Nov 16) 3m in advance and felt I got a good deal, but a couple of years before booked MIA 6m before. If I am planning on Sept and considering it is popular season and NY is generally more expensive, should I be locking deals down now or wait a bit longer?

TIA
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 25th Mar 17, 8:16 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Ganga
    Hello
    Have trawled through quite a few pages on when might be the best time to book flights/hotels to NYC as has been >10y since I visited. Ideally want to travel this year in Sept, but can also visit in August, Oct or Nov/Dec (post thanksgiving). Thinking about 5 or 7n, live in London.

Am generally a thrifty traveller and prepared to look at lots of websites. Have been punching in lots of dates. Prices for 7n in Sept around £870-1050 each in 3-3.5* hotel in Manhattan (depending on what date I punched in). 5n Sept £690-780. 5n Oct £710. 7n August £845-900. 5n Aug £780.

So are these good prices to be locked in or should I wait. Ave plane ticket is working out 368-399 (leaving am and getting o/n flight back to max time). I booked our flights to LAX (Nov 16) 3m in advance and felt I got a good deal, but a couple of years before booked MIA 6m before. If I am planning on Sept and considering it is popular season and NY is generally more expensive, should I be locking deals down now or wait a bit longer?

TIA
    Originally posted by vanessa1977
    Have a look on British Airways Holidays if you have not booked anything yet,you might get a better price for hotel and flight,we have just come back and only payed £1200 for 6 days,5 nights in Midtown hotel andreturn flights from Newcastle/London/JFK,this was with Thomas Cook ( it was in the window when passing )they use a company called Funway Holidays,i think it isa travel agent for travel agents if that makes sense,
    • bleepandbooster
    • By bleepandbooster 26th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    bleepandbooster
    Have you looked at Aer Lingus via Dublin ? They have had some good prices on recently !

Cofion
    David
    Last edited by bleepandbooster; 26-03-2017 at 9:24 PM.
    • ince mon
    • By ince mon 30th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    ince mon
    I have searcbed but cannot find up to date info on fee free ATM's. Have a NandP debit card and want to make best use of its fee free advantage.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Marksfish
    I used my Clarity Card at a Santander atm last April,never got charged.
    • GazzaHT
    • By GazzaHT 1st Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    GazzaHT
    Afternoon people,

Wife and I went to NY last year, loved it so much but still feel we didn't make much of an impact even with a 5 day stay. We did loads but still a lot I would like to do.

It's my wife 40th this December and I would like to surprise her with another trip out there.

Is the price going to be inflated due to people doing their Christmas shopping ? Would I better booking it for later in 2018 ?

I know which hotel etc I want so really wondering just how much the prices are inflated over xmas time.

TIA
    • richardw
    • By richardw 1st Apr 17, 4:56 PM
    • 17,537 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    richardw
    I've been twice in December/January and it really can get extremely cold and very unpleasant. Never again. The best time of year I've been was early May. I plan to go one October for my next trip.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • ince mon
    • By ince mon 2nd Apr 17, 3:00 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    ince mon
    Is there a 3 day pass you can use on the subway? I'm there in Nov for 3 nts,after visiting San Francisco and Vegas for 3 each. Was in New York last April when we got the 7 day subway ticket,which i hammered during our 6 nts.
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 2nd Apr 17, 9:44 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 3,016 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    Is there a 3 day pass you can use on the subway? I'm there in Nov for 3 nts,after visiting San Francisco and Vegas for 3 each. Was in New York last April when we got the 7 day subway ticket,which i hammered during our 6 nts.
    Originally posted by ince mon
    No 3 day subway card, so you can either top up a metro card as you need or get a 7 day card. I believe that 13 trips is the break even point.
    • ince mon
    • By ince mon 4th Apr 17, 1:37 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    ince mon
    ESTA Question
    Last April,Myself,wife and daughter were in New York,we got a group ESTA. This time round,daughter isn't travelling with us,can we still use the group ESTA,(still in 2 yr period)or do we need to get new ones?
    • ince mon
    • By ince mon 4th Apr 17, 5:54 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    ince mon
    No 3 day subway card, so you can either top up a metro card as you need or get a 7 day card. I believe that 13 trips is the break even point.
    Originally posted by pompeyrich
    What if we got a 7 day pass to share,or is there a time delay after one of us has used it?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 2,764 Posts
    • 3,698 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Last April,Myself,wife and daughter were in New York,we got a group ESTA. This time round,daughter isn't travelling with us,can we still use the group ESTA,(still in 2 yr period)or do we need to get new ones?
    One person applied for a group of people. You each individually have ESTAs. You can travel collectively or individually. The advantage of applying for a group of ESTAs at the same time is that one person can sort it all out for the entire group. It's just convenience. It's actually a group of (3) ESTAs rather than a "group esta", and if you log on with the group number you will see each individual has their own unique application number.

Edit:

Applying as a group allows up to a maximum of 50 applications to be paid with a single payment. The persons in the group are not required to travel together.
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e2s1
    Last edited by Nick_C; 04-04-2017 at 6:49 PM. Reason: more info
    • HoofeHearted
    • By HoofeHearted 4th Apr 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    HoofeHearted
    What if we got a 7 day pass to share,or is there a time delay after one of us has used it?
    If you buy a standard ticket and load money onto it, 2 people can share it. So you can use it to go through the gate and pass it back to your companion for them to use. Then 2 trips are deducted from the ticket.

This is what my wife and I did last year.
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 4th Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 3,016 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    There is a time delay on unlimited ride cards, as HoofeHearted said adding cash to a standard card allows "passing back"
    • macpep1
    • By macpep1 6th Apr 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 26,760 Thanks
    macpep1
    Am getting nervous now, it will be 4 weeks on 10th April until we go, I am still undecided about the City Pass, it will cost around £90 each via viator for this. We have requested a New York Greeter but its still not confirmed, they will leave a message at our hotel if they cannot find us one. I fully plan on making use of the subway & local transport. I am not getting a cab from the airport I am going to take the train as suggested previously. When I looked up the weather in May, it can be anything from 4-35 degrees.
    Gratitude is the best Attitude
    Long Term Flylady
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,330Posts Today

5,713Users online

Martin's Twitter