Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 412
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 9th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 8,663 Thanks
    19lottie82
    Yes, just don't pick the expensive food and drink on the menu.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Based on my last 2 recent trips it's not quite that simple!

Any examples to accompany your suggestion?
    • Duckyduck
    • By Duckyduck 9th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Duckyduck
    I promised myself we wouldn't go back after the combination of high costs and the poor pound, but we've had a bit of a windfall so I have promised we will take the kids (13/17) in December.

Is there such a thing as a decent sit down restaurant in manhattan (ideally midtown but if not, not important) for a reasonably priced meal? Ie 2 courses plus a drink each for 4 people for under $120 before tax and tip?

Or am I dreaming?

Thank you

Lottie
    Originally posted by 19lottie82

$30/person is a pretty midrange budget, there will be plenty of choice.

As an example Olive Garden is considered to be a "nice" chain restaurant, and even at their Times Square location you'd be looking at around $35/person for 2 courses and a drink. Everything in Times Square is over priced, walk even just a block from tourist hotspots and you'll easily find somewhere reasonably priced. If you're a foodie you might be better checking trip advisor or yelp for reviews/recommendations.
    Save £12k in 2017 #10
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 18,310 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    richardw
    Based on my last 2 recent trips it's not quite that simple!
    Starter $9

Main $15

Drink $6

You just have to stick with your budget.
    Most menus are online so look at their website before you go.
    Last edited by richardw; 10-03-2017 at 8:50 AM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 10th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 8,663 Thanks
    19lottie82
    Bizarrely enough I do know how to count, add up and also browse the Internet!

I'm just asking for suggestions of where to eat within my budget.

I'm guessing you can't assist?
    • John259
    • By John259 10th Mar 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    John259
    Maybe try Applebee's:
    Web site https://www.applebees.com
    Map of locations https://goo.gl/maps/ozKBNZ2U1x72

Or for a good burger, Wendy's:
    Web site https://www.wendys.com
    Map of locations https://goo.gl/maps/HnRNemNKSUK2
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 18,310 Posts
    • 7,581 Thanks
    richardw
    ....I'm just asking for suggestions of where to eat within my budget....
    That wasn't your first question, you implied something wasn't possible, it is, so carry on with your search. Start with google maps and look at restaurants near your hotel to save needing a cab or metro back after your meal.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • bleepandbooster
    • By bleepandbooster 10th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    bleepandbooster
    5 Guys ! You even get free peanuts !

Cofion
    David
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 11th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 4,516 Posts
    • 6,082 Thanks
    74jax
    6 weeks today and I'll be back in New York. 2nd time for me and I can't wait to arrive in NYC, step out and 'smell' New York again.

Looking forward to a more relaxed visit. 5 full days and I want to walk the high line, bike central park, check out World Trade Centre, book a show (Charlie and the chocolate factory is full for my visit....) and do the Grand central audio tour.

So excited. I'm currently looking for a show to watch, a nice place for an afternoon tea or lunch and 'unusual things to do'. I'm trying to pin point a good speakeasy restaurant too.

Happy planning folks!
    Last edited by 74jax; 11-03-2017 at 8:03 AM.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • srisport
    • By srisport 11th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    srisport
    6 weeks today and I'll be back in New York. 2nd time for me and I can't wait to arrive in NYC, step out and 'smell' New York again.

Looking forward to a more relaxed visit. 5 full days and I want to walk the high line, bike central park, check out World Trade Centre, book a show (Charlie and the chocolate factory is full for my visit....) and do the Grand central audio tour.

So excited. I'm currently looking for a show to watch, a nice place for an afternoon tea or lunch and 'unusual things to do'. I'm trying to pin point a good speakeasy restaurant too.

Happy planning folks!
    Originally posted by 74jax

Im going to New York on the 12th - 21st April, and we are planning something similar to you.

Where are you looking for booking tickets to a show if you don't mind me asking?

Rergards
    • TAZ
    • By TAZ 11th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    TAZ
    Bizarrely enough I do know how to count, add up and also browse the Internet!

I'm guessing you can't assist?
    we ate at brazil brazil in the restaurant district it was lovely as as we were two small eaters they even split our dish.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d1368037-Reviews-Brazil_Brazil-New_York_City_New_York.html
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 11th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 4,516 Posts
    • 6,082 Thanks
    74jax
    Im going to New York on the 12th - 21st April, and we are planning something similar to you.

Where are you looking for booking tickets to a show if you don't mind me asking?

Rergards
    Originally posted by srisport
    First time I booked direct to watch Lion King. This time I will probably do on the day as the isn't a stand out show I REALLY WANT to see. Other than Charlie and that is full.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 12th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    We tend to eat in 'ethnic' restaurants in Mew York. Love Vietnamese, and Mexican.
    I have never found New York cheap for eating out. Last time we booked a suite, which had basic cooking facilities.

It easily paid for itself as we saved a lot by eating breakfast in every morning, and cooked dinner in four nights out of seven.
    We found wine particularly expensive in restaurants. Paid 35 dollars in a fairy basic restaurant one evening for an average bottle.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 12th Mar 17, 6:53 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Ganga
    We tend to eat in 'ethnic' restaurants in Mew York. Love Vietnamese, and Mexican.
    I have never found New York cheap for eating out. Last time we booked a suite, which had basic cooking facilities.

It easily paid for itself as we saved a lot by eating breakfast in every morning, and cooked dinner in four nights out of seven.
    We found wine particularly expensive in restaurants. Paid 35 dollars in a fairy basic restaurant one evening for an average bottle.
    Originally posted by holidaysforme
    We have just returned from NewYork and never found it cheap for anything!
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Duckyduck
    • By Duckyduck 12th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Duckyduck
    Not sure if they still exist, but about 5 years ago there was a wave of $1 Pizza slice stalls/shops opening. Can't get much cheaper than that, and tasted pretty decent too!
    Save £12k in 2017 #10
    • John259
    • By John259 12th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    John259
    Not sure if they still exist, but about 5 years ago there was a wave of $1 Pizza slice stalls/shops opening. Can't get much cheaper than that, and tasted pretty decent too!
    Originally posted by Duckyduck
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=casey+neistat+dollar+pizza

"Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • springdreams
    • By springdreams 12th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 3,563 Posts
    • 31,366 Thanks
    springdreams
    We have just returned from NewYork and never found it cheap for anything!
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I hope you enjoyed your holiday You spent a lot of time researching and preparing.
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    Originally posted by squeaky
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 13th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Ganga
    I hope you enjoyed your holiday You spent a lot of time researching and preparing.
    Originally posted by springdreams
    We certainly did,i of to the gym this morning but with a bit of luck i might get my trip report done later today.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 13th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Ganga
    Full trip report

Holiday booked with Thomas Cook
    Newcastle/NY Roosevelt hotel Midtown,free upgrade and free WIFI
    Cost £1,243.97 6 days/5 nights plus spending money

Left home for Newcastle Airport,flight at 9.35am,took off on time and landed at terminal 5,took bus to terminal 3 and had a drink.Checked in at American Airlines and had been moved to a couple of rows further forward,had window middle and end seats to ourselves ( me and my wife )
    Took off 10 mins late but pilot said he would make it up,served petzels and drinks,beer,wine and soft drinks free,spirits were $8 each!landed 43 mins early.
    Eventually got thru customs/security and cab into NY.Stayed at the Roosevelt hotel on45th/maddisom avenue.

Unpacked and went out for meal and drinks,went to bed at about 10.00pm NY time.Woke up at 2.00am,slept on but up early.

Day 1. Breakfast in Grand Central Station then subway to Fulton Street to visit Nat. Sept.11 memorial and museum.A very sad but interesting visit.Walked down to Staten island Ferry and seen SOL .subway back to grand central,drink in hotel,sleep, then out for meal and drinks.

Day 2. Collected coffee,s from starbucks.Walked to TOTR,seen ice rink etc then up to the top.Walk to Ellens Stardust Diner for lunch,Times Sq walkabout,evening meal and drinks.

Day 3 Collect breakfast from starbucks,walk to Dylans Candy store for sweets for grandaughters ( they had made a list),shops,lunch,Central Park,Strawberryfields and Dakota building,walkabout,evening meal and drinks.

Day 4 Collect breakfast from starbucks,visit Grand Central Station for pictures and good look round,Chrysler building,again lots of pictures,walkabout,evening meal and drinks.

Day 5 Up early,collect breakfast,pack cases and sit in hotel foyer/bar,organize transport to airport,shared a streched limo with two young english lads,checked in eventually,took off on time,arrived Heathrow then back to Newcastle ( tired but worth it )

Thanks to all the people on this site for the help and advice that made this holiday great.

Ganga and My better half
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 13th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 3,078 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    Thanks for the report Ganga and glad you both had a great holiday.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 13th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Ganga
    Thanks for the report Ganga and glad you both had a great holiday.
    Originally posted by pompeyrich
    Thanks for that,i have seen on facebook that NY is expecting between 18 and 24 inches of snow next week,looks like we went at the right time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,964Posts Today

7,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin