Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 399
    • flea72
    • By flea72 24th Sep 16, 9:13 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 5,182 Thanks
    flea72
    As a rough guide adding 15% to the price covers all fees/tax.
    • cherabelle
    • By cherabelle 10th Oct 16, 12:02 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    cherabelle
    Hi All,

Getting very close to our trip in December. Flying out with BA, have 4 days at the Excelsior and then cruising back on the QM2.

We pretty much have our itinerary sorted but I did have a few questions around food. Can anyone recommend any restaurants or places to eat that has stuff for vegetarians please? When I went last time I did PH, HRC etc but my parents don't like those. We are also planning a dinner cruise whilst there with entertainment cruises, has anyone has experience of this?

Thanks Cher
    Eleventh Heaven Number 52
    1*2**4*5*6*7*8*9*10*11

ITV drama premiers £2K 11.01.11, Red Nintendo Wii
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 17,107 Posts
    • 6,879 Thanks
    richardw
    Have a look online at restaurant menus, there's usually a non meat dish on many menus.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • flea72
    • By flea72 10th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 5,182 Thanks
    flea72
    I struggled as a vegetarian in NY. it was mac n cheese or nothing. Even if you asked for the vegi option, meat/fish still appeared in the dish. So i ended up eating alot of takeout snacks/sandwiches.

Did find one vegi restaurant, Dirt Candy (think it was in chinatown area). Food was ok, but not as good as restaurants ive been to in uk.
    • cherabelle
    • By cherabelle 10th Oct 16, 1:01 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    cherabelle
    Thanks Flea72, I am in Mallorca at the moment and so I am only too familar with the whole "is there a veggie option?" Conversation and then meat or fish appearing too. Any places I can grab stuff from on the go will help massively. Recommendations always help in this situation.

I have heard Chelsea Bridge does a market similar to borough market in London so I am thinking of trying that out if there is an indoor option, could be a little cold to eat outside in December.
    1*2**4*5*6*7*8*9*10*11

• John259
    • By John259 10th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    John259
    Have you tried a search on Google for:
    vegetarian new york
    Lots of possible options there.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • cherabelle
    • By cherabelle 10th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    cherabelle
    Yes, I have a list of a few vegetarian restaurants from a google search which I am going to work out where there are. As 2 of the other 3 in the party are big meat eaters though I would feel a little mean subjecting them to a purely vegetarian restaurant every day so sometimes people across restaurants with a good veggie selection which can complement the meals. You never know unless you ask. There does look to be some amazing places near Hell's Kitchen though so that's on the list to try.

I was just wondering on the Vegas thread there is a bit about the $20 upgrade trick, does anyone know if this is worthwhile trying in New York or have you had much success if you have tried it?

TIA.
    1*2**4*5*6*7*8*9*10*11

• John259
    • By John259 10th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    John259
    I am going to work out where they are.
    Originally posted by cherabelle
    Google Maps can do that for you. Pan and zoom to Manhattan and search for the restaurant name. Here's one random example:
    https://goo.gl/maps/9KkUemCMw192
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • flea72
    • By flea72 10th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 5,182 Thanks
    flea72
    i went to chelsea market (its all indoor) thinking id finally get a decent meal and ended up having bread and olives. its not a sit down place, its fancy fast food. More a grab your lunch and head back to the office type of place. Its also not as big as i expected. 30ish shops/stalls.

After a few days of walking into restaurants, reading the menu, then leaving again due to lack of even a salad, I tended to fill up at breakfast on bagels/cream cheese/eggs. Then grab something froma deli late afternoon. Thankfully, i was usually then too full/tired to go out and find a restaurant of the evening, so fruit and crisps back at the room sufficed.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Oct 16, 10:53 PM
    • 20,687 Posts
    • 52,641 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I usually resort to an Italian restaurant when in the States. Olive Garden is a reasonably priced chain, with branches in New York.

There are also three pubs called The Playwright. We've used two and I've had a pasta meal in each.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • James8
    • By James8 25th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    James8
    Hello,

Booked an NYC trip for Feb next year and looking at possibly attending a Knicks game as there are a couple on at that time. Looking on ticketmaster at tickets they start at $170 for a single ticket.. Is this really what you can expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 7th Nov 16, 10:08 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 9,843 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    I'm looking at booking CitizenM in Times Square £1100 for 5 nights next May/The Time £1180, is this about right? First time to NY...also we have won flights that are all booked and can log on to the flight website and see the details... Would you book a non refundable stay based on this? It makes it so much cheaper?
    Last edited by moreofthegoodstuff; 07-11-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 7th Nov 16, 11:47 PM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    phatbear
    I'm looking at booking CitizenM in Times Square £1100 for 5 nights next May/The Time £1180, is this about right?
    Originally posted by moreofthegoodstuff
    there are variables here which make it kinda hard for anyone to answer that question for example are you staying over a weekend? hotels in new york are more expensive midweek so staying over a weekend makes it cheaper, also the date itself would help someone comment on the price, oh and number of travellers too. As an aside why are you looking at these hotels?

IWould you book a non refundable stay based on this? It makes it so much cheaper?
    Originally posted by moreofthegoodstuff
    depends what the price difference is. 9 times out of 10 I book a refundable hotel and then keep an eye on the price and if it comes down by a quite a few quid cancel my initial booking and rebook.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • TAZ
    • By TAZ 8th Nov 16, 1:56 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    TAZ
    having stayed at the edison just off times square i would say that altho its great been in the centre you dont actually have to be in the very centre as the whole area is easy to get around, when i go back im going to find somewhere a bit more down towards lower manhatten.
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 20th Nov 16, 6:43 PM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    curlytop12
    hi, looked at Virgin holidays to book a 4 night hol next august-
    options for hotels are midtown or soho/tribeca - could someone kindly advise please? It'll be me and teen son...
    many thanks
    • blindman
    • By blindman 20th Nov 16, 6:58 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 3,884 Thanks
    blindman
    hi, looked at Virgin holidays to book a 4 night hol next august-
    options for hotels are midtown or soho/tribeca - could someone kindly advise please? It'll be me and teen son...
    many thanks
    Originally posted by curlytop12
    Have a look at the first page as there is loads of info there.

IMHO In NYC (like London) you only really have to be close to the Metro to enjoy the city.

Have you looked at DIY options as opposed to the Virgin Holidays?

NYC is easy to get to and though hotels can be pricey there are lots of ways to be MSE
    • richardw
    • By richardw 20th Nov 16, 7:01 PM
    • 17,107 Posts
    • 6,879 Thanks
    richardw
    Midtown is good for Penn Station for trains too and from the airports.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 20th Nov 16, 7:53 PM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    curlytop12
    Have a look at the first page as there is loads of info there.

IMHO In NYC (like London) you only really have to be close to the Metro to enjoy the city.

Have you looked at DIY options as opposed to the Virgin Holidays?

NYC is easy to get to and though hotels can be pricey there are lots of ways to be MSE
    Originally posted by blindman
    thank you
    i don't feel confident to book it DIY style...
    is their other companies who would do a "package" ?
    could it really be easy to do?
    I'm fine with the Tube in London
    • b33r
    • By b33r 21st Nov 16, 12:58 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    b33r
    thank you
    i don't feel confident to book it DIY style...
    is their other companies who would do a "package" ?
    could it really be easy to do?
    I'm fine with the Tube in London
    Originally posted by curlytop12
    When we went our 'package' was booked through trailfinders. But when I say package this was pretty much just flight and hotel and what they did I could have easily done myself separately but it was only very slightly more and allowed us to have a gift list for people to contribute (it was our honeymoon). They were however very helpful about recommending hotels (and got us a room upgrade) and did offer to book excursions etc. for us but I did do all that myself.

Tip for you based on your last comment, forget everything you know about the Tube in London for the metro system in New York, it can actually make it more confusing if you try and apply the same logic. There's an app for the metro system that I found very helpful and my biggest tip is to ensure you'll have a smart phone with data access (US is included in three plans) in order to keep looking at the map for directions and to use the metro app. Second biggest tip, if you want to go to the crown of the statue of liberty book early and book through Statue Cruises as places go very far in advance. Also get yourself a credit card with no foreign exchange fees like Halifax clarity or the Post office one
    Last edited by b33r; 21-11-2016 at 1:15 AM.
    beer for b33r
    • 1983MJS
    • By 1983MJS 21st Nov 16, 10:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    1983MJS
    James8

Doesn't sound too unrealistic depending on the seat. We did an NHL game at MSG and paid around $140 for mid way back / centre ice tickets.

Watch out for taxes etc also - maybe added at the end? Not sure how ticketmaster price up front.
    Last edited by 1983MJS; 21-11-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Tagging person
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,352Posts Today

6,710Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin