Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > Plasma TV from Argos - Can I return it? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Plasma TV from Argos - Can I return it?
Closed Thread
Views: 1,466
# 1
BillBurnside
Old 24-01-2010, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Plasma TV from Argos - Can I return it?

Hi everyone.

I purchased a Plasma TV from Argos at the start of the month (and is therefore within the 30 day return policy)

However, It has already suffered image burn! Obviously im a bit gutted as its so new.

So, my question is, would Argos accept the TV back as either
a) within the 30 day guarantee (taking into acount ive been using it )
b) faulty

Any help or advice would be greatly appreiated!!
Thanks
# 2
neilmcl
Old 24-01-2010, 6:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Image burn is an expected side-effect of plasma technology so I would very much doubt it could be classed as faulty.
# 3
Cool Username
Old 24-01-2010, 6:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What have you been watching then? Seems a bit excessive for a brand new TV to be experiencing image-burn after only a few weeks of use.

What brand and model of TV is it?
# 4
neilmcl
Old 24-01-2010, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Username View Post
What have you been watching then? Seems a bit excessive for a brand new TV to be experiencing image-burn after only a few weeks of use.

What brand and model of TV is it?
This is precisely the time one should be very wary of screen burn. Most manufacturers will recommend being very careful with plasma TVs within the first few months of use.
# 5
Cool Username
Old 24-01-2010, 6:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When you say that manufacturers advise being careful with a new TV in the first few months, what exactly to they advise - what do they mean by treating a TV carefully?
# 6
BillBurnside
Old 24-01-2010, 6:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the responses.

The TV is a Samsung 42inch.
The burn appeared after playing on my Playstation 3.
The manufacturers warranty DOES NOT cover image retention/burn.

Back to my original question, can/should I attempt to get a refund/exchange on the grounds of the product being unsatisfactory???
# 7
Cool Username
Old 24-01-2010, 6:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBurnside View Post
Back to my original question, can/should I attempt to get a refund/exchange on the grounds of the product being unsatisfactory???
Certainly got nothing to lose by trying.
# 8
BillBurnside
Old 24-01-2010, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Yeah I guess. Would I be better off not mentioning the image burn and going the unsatisfactory route?
# 9
RobertoMoir
Old 24-01-2010, 6:47 PM

I'd suggest it isn't up to the manufacturer's warranty, your issue is with the shop and imho a brand new TV shouldn't certainly be acting up this soon.

If this type of TV is especially vulnerable to burn in when new (you learn something new every day!) then was this made especially clear to you? I mean if you knew this was an issue and disregarded it then it would be your fault.

I mean I'd be expecting a wrapping over the TV screen or something like that with a warning printed on it if the TV is that vulnerable.
Former Bailiff.
I'm here to help but I reserve the right to be blunt and to the point rather than sugar-coat my replies.

The problem with consolidation loans is the absurd idea that "more credit" is the answer to too much credit.
# 10
custardy
Old 24-01-2010, 6:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

if its image retention then it may fade

http://samsungplasmatvfaq.com/index....mage_retention

maybe try a break in DVD?

http://www.eaprogramming.com/

Quote:
Other plasma manufacturers avoided acknowledging the potential for burn-in damage on plasma displays. Samsung was the first manufacturer to provide consumers with the tools needed to combat it. Use them!
Avoid still images (e.g. paused video game or movie) on your plasma TV screen for more than 30 minutes at a time.
Avoid non-stop viewing of channels with fixed station logos or where the screen is consistently divided into fixed parts, such as cable news channels.
Enable pixel shifting.
Use Stretch to Fit or Zoom Mode when appropriate to avoid displaying black bars.
After the initial break-in period, the potential for burn-in from constant displaying of black bars is greatly reduced. Some movies need the black bars to maintain the correct aspect ratio. While displaying black bars for several hours will do no harm, try to limit their use to those times when they are really needed.
Use the White Screen feature weekly to examine your display for any evidence of IR retention.

Last edited by custardy; 24-01-2010 at 7:00 PM.
# 11
Cool Username
Old 24-01-2010, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In my opinion the intention of the disclaimer written into the warranty is clear - if you buy your new TV and only use it to display a single, static image for a week, then obviously that image will become burned into the screen. If for example if a company uses the TV to display an information screen all day long in a shop or similar. The company can't be held responsible in such a case.

Now fair enough the disclaimer is there and in a legal sense absolves them of responsibility, but I think it's pretty silly to argue that a new TV that is used for watching television or playing computer games - what I would term 'normal use' - should have an image burned onto its screen after only a few weeks of use.

I wonder what is meant by 'treating the TV carefully' - it is only being used as any normal person would use it, not to display a static image day after day.
# 12
custardy
Old 24-01-2010, 7:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
In my opinion the intention of the disclaimer written into the warranty is clear - if you buy your new TV and only use it to display a single, static image for a week, then obviously that image will become burned into the screen. If for example if a company uses the TV to display an information screen all day long in a shop or similar. The company can't be held responsible in such a case.

Now fair enough the disclaimer is there and in a legal sense absolves them of responsibility, but I think it's pretty silly to argue that a new TV that is used for watching television or playing computer games - what I would term 'normal use' - should have an image burned onto its screen after only a few weeks of use.

I wonder what is meant by 'treating the TV carefully' - it is only being used as any normal person would use it, not to display a static image day after day.
even in normal use you have to watch for static images like channel icons,black bars and on games consoles
# 13
neilmcl
Old 24-01-2010, 8:53 PM

Quote:
When you say that manufacturers advise being careful with a new TV in the first few months, what exactly to they advise - what do they mean by treating a TV carefully?
I can't recall exactly what they advised, it maybe worth checking out somewhere like AVforums for the info but this was something I found after a quick bit of googling which is similar to what I've read in tha past from the likes of Panasonic and Pioneer.

Quote:
That said, it’s better to take precautionary steps during the first 200 hours of a plasma TV’s lifespan when the phosphors are still unstable and burn more intensely, making plasma screen burn a real risk. The most common (and correct) advice is to switch to Cinema mode, lower the brightness and contrast and use the plasma TV normally, taking care not to display static pictures or logos for more than 30 minutes. Also, try to use zoom modes to fill up the 16:9 plasma screen when watching 4:3 programmes or 2.85:1 DVDs… for the first 100 to 200 hours.
Obviously if you just use the default dynamic settings out of the box which are usually maximum contrast etc then you're asking for trouble.
Closed Thread