Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • angeltreats
    • By angeltreats 23rd Jan 10, 4:38 PM
    • 2,268Posts
    • 6,687Thanks
    angeltreats
    What have you baked today?
    • 23rd Jan 10, 4:38 PM
    What have you baked today? 23rd Jan 10 at 4:38 PM
    While I wait for the timer to go off, I'm just wondering who else is baking today and what yummy goodies they are making

It's Australia Day on Tuesday and I have several Aussie workmates so I've made some Anzac biscuits to bring to work.

Also while the oven was heated I thought I might as well make a cake so I've thrown a Victoria sponge in there and I'll sandwich it together with lemon curd, for a change.

Anyone else baked something tasty today?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-04-2010 at 8:45 PM.
Page 331
    • JIL
    • By JIL 8th Apr 17, 11:30 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 18,480 Thanks
    JIL
    Today I made lemon curd cake and a banana bread. Cooked them, sliced them and kept a couple of sliced but wrapped and froze the rest.
    I now have a carrier bag in the freezer with a selection of individual slices of cake.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Apr 17, 1:26 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 39,139 Thanks
    Frith
    Rhubarb cake! Just a sponge with cubes of rhubarb on then a crumble topping.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Apr 17, 9:19 PM
    • 23,234 Posts
    • 48,545 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Rhubarb cake! Just a sponge with cubes of rhubarb on then a crumble topping.
    Originally posted by Frith
    The topping must have been a good sweet / sharp contrast.

I made chocolate and orange flapjacks the other day. I melted a bar of very dark chocolate into the butter / golden syrup mixture, added microplaned orange peel, almonds, raisins and a huge amount of oats. The dry ingredients were still well covered with the chocolate syrup, and have kept them stored in the fridge.

They are not very buttery, nor very syrupy, but they are very crunchy! In fact they are much more like an oaty rocky road than flapjacks. Delicious and very more-ish, and a great way of using up a chocolate bar that wouldn't have been eaten otherwise.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 10th Apr 17, 4:00 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass

I made chocolate and orange flapjacks the other day. I melted a bar of very dark chocolate into the butter / golden syrup mixture, added microplaned orange peel, almonds, raisins and a huge amount of oats. The dry ingredients were still well covered with the chocolate syrup, and have kept them stored in the fridge.

They are not very buttery, nor very syrupy, but they are very crunchy! In fact they are much more like an oaty rocky road than flapjacks. Delicious and very more-ish, and a great way of using up a chocolate bar that wouldn't have been eaten otherwise.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    These sound delish but ... a chocolate bar that wouldn't have been eaten otherwise? Nah, can't believe that!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Apr 17, 4:25 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 32,836 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Made bread to go with roasted veggie lasagne tonight

Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Apr 17, 8:11 PM
    • 23,234 Posts
    • 48,545 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    These sound delish but ... a chocolate bar that wouldn't have been eaten otherwise? Nah, can't believe that!
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    It was this, bought by my brother for its "healthy" properties.

I warned him it would be disgusting and it was, so he kindly donated it to my baking stash. It badly needed butter and sugar to bring it to life

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Apr 17, 5:23 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass
    VfM4meplse - You could always send it my way I LOVE this chocolate!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• mandco
    • By mandco 12th Apr 17, 10:28 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 8,398 Thanks
    mandco
    I'm on a bit of a scone mission lately. I have cupboards of baking supplies and I buy a scone at work every Friday. They do really unusual sweet & savoury scones but, as I'm trying to seriously curb ALL frivolous spending to save for a new kitchen, every little helps.

That's an extra £30 a year I'd be spending on scones when I can make them. Sounds petty I know but that's a tap or a cupboard door or a few boxes of tiles. And I'm really bad at just saying "Oh, it's only X small sum" so I figure if I start getting really strict, I'll develop a new habit that will make me stop & think every time I buy a coffee instead of making one or buy a sandwich because I can't be bothered making lunch.

So I'm trying out making them using leftovers & use up my jam stashes because I rarely have toast for breakfast and don't eat jam with anything else - grated cheese, raisins, Apple, coconut, spiced, bacon bits & maple syrup... I'm trying to be innovative and less wasteful.

Sunday's scones were Christmas mixed sweet spice & raisin with cherry jam.

I think Thursday I'll make some cheese ones for my OH and some apple, coconut & raisin ones to use up my slightly past best apples. Then Sunday make banana & maple syrup to use up some bananas that I think will be slightly brown by then.
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    sound lovely
    what recipe do you use? ds loves scones but I've never quite mastered the homemade version

Baked some basic fairy cakes today for the kids to decorate.
    Not sure it really counts as baking but made some unicorn/fairy bark with them too.
    Last edited by mandco; 12-04-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 13th Apr 17, 5:32 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 34,474 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Today i have baked a Chocolate Sponge Cake with Chocolate Orange Icing
    CURRENTLY READING THE DEBT AND THE DOORMAT -
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £115
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £470/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Apr 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,234 Posts
    • 48,545 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Advice please
    This isn't technically a baking question, but I'm sure the knowledge lurks within regular posters to this thread!

I'm going to make a large chocolate Easter egg using a pair of moulds I bought RTC from Sainsbury's. I am used to making chocolate and getting a good result with silicone moulds, the issue is these moulds are metal. What's the best way of ensuring the chocolate doesn't stick to the mould? Experience tells me the faintest wipe of oil will do the job, but I am very wary of ending up with an oily-tasting finished product. I don't use the anti-sticking stuff for cake pans as it's based on a fish product, I am a strict vegetarian. What's the answer? TIA

• freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 25th Apr 17, 1:02 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 34,474 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Today I have made Coconut Fudgy Brownies
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 8th May 17, 1:57 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 6,076 Thanks
    bargainhunterss

Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse that flapjack recipe sounds delicious! I'll be trying that I think!
    Debt Free as of 2013 BUT now got the biggest debt of all.....house!
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 31st Aug 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 34,474 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Today I have baked some Brownies with White Chocolate Chunks
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 12th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 34,474 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Today I have baked some Bread Pudding to eat while watching GBBO tonight
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 14th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 34,474 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Today I have baked some Flapjack
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin