Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • angeltreats
    • By angeltreats 23rd Jan 10, 4:38 PM
    • 2,283Posts
    • 6,687Thanks
    angeltreats
    What have you baked today?
    • 23rd Jan 10, 4:38 PM
    What have you baked today? 23rd Jan 10 at 4:38 PM
    While I wait for the timer to go off, I'm just wondering who else is baking today and what yummy goodies they are making

It's Australia Day on Tuesday and I have several Aussie workmates so I've made some Anzac biscuits to bring to work.

Also while the oven was heated I thought I might as well make a cake so I've thrown a Victoria sponge in there and I'll sandwich it together with lemon curd, for a change.

Anyone else baked something tasty today?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-04-2010 at 8:45 PM.
Page 328
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Sep 16, 8:46 PM
    • 20,469 Posts
    • 40,379 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    OMG I love rice pudding! But it's a no-go since I quit sugar!

Will have to stick to risotto
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 30th Sep 16, 11:27 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    babyblooz
    Suppose you could use sweetener. Home made is a world away from tinned.
    please play nicely children !
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 1st Oct 16, 7:24 AM
    • 2,987 Posts
    • 27,540 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    After reading, I had to make some too, I used half evaporated milk, half semi skimmed and only 20g of sugar as the evaporated milk was sweet enough.

Thank you for the reminder
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 20,469 Posts
    • 40,379 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Suppose you could use sweetener. Home made is a world away from tinned.
    Originally posted by babyblooz
    I just don't want to tempt myself back to a carving sweet taste full stop, Lord knows it was hard enough to quit.

We had a Macmillan coffee morning yesterday, I didn't look at the cakes too hard but nothing was of interest.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 20,469 Posts
    • 40,379 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    After reading, I had to make some too, I used half evaporated milk, half semi skimmed and only 20g of sugar as the evaporated milk was sweet enough.

Thank you for the reminder
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Ladies, you're ruining my life! I suppose if I added a few raisins raisins and finely shredded carrot it would do the trick. It's calcium after all

Eta: it will be a good excuse to use my new microplane

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 20,469 Posts
    • 40,379 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    So today was a mixed day, the baking was not good. I made pizza from scratch using this dough recipe, and my family hated it. (The toppings were fine and the house smelled amazing, but we agreed that a base should have much more fat and be less bread-like).

I also made the rice pudding as intended. I tasted it whilst warm and it was ok but noticably not sweet. It was well chilled by the time we had dessert, and I served it with sachets of sugar on the side so the family could see how much they were adding to make it palatable. Incredibly they didn't use the sugar (although my dad didn't refuse the offer of chopped banana with it ), they said it was lovely. So much so that there was very little left for me! Or perhaps they were just hungry after the pizza fail? So I packaged it up and sent it home, as I know it was appreciated.

The left over pizza (there was a it of it) was sliced up and frozen. I'm happy to eat it in small doses.

• freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 9th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 31,901 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Today i made Caramac Fancies
    CURRENTLY READING - THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS - TRISHA ASHLEY
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2016 £140
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2016 - £0/£600
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Oct 16, 12:19 AM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 15,805 Thanks
    JIL
    I made some buttermilk rolls and a carrot cake and for the very first time ever I made the topping. 50g crème fraiche, 50g Philadelphia cheese and 15g icing sugar, just enough. It was very nice.
    • FrugalinShropshire
    • By FrugalinShropshire 10th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    FrugalinShropshire
    While the oven was on this evening for the chips, I made a coconut cake and a rice pudding.
    Proud to be mortgage free
    • DWhite
    • By DWhite 10th Oct 16, 9:21 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    DWhite
    Today I tried something new which worked out really well. Cinnamon and cranberry swirl scones. They look a lot like cinnamon whirls/Cinnabon. Not as sickly sweet though.
    It's basic scone mix which I put some dried cranberries in because I had them in the house. Rolled out the dough into a rough rectangle around 1cm thick. Mixed melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and spread that on the dough. Rolled it and sliced it using a sharp knife dipped in flour to stop it dragging though the dough and giving the scones the rise. Placed cut side up on the baking tray and baked.
    Once they'd cooled I drizzled some icing over them, though 4 had already been snaffled by DP at that point!
    Last edited by DWhite; 10-10-2016 at 9:25 PM.
    • DWhite
    • By DWhite 10th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    DWhite
    So today was a mixed day, the baking was not good. I made pizza from scratch using this dough recipe, and my family hated it. (The toppings were fine and the house smelled amazing, but we agreed that a base should have much more fat and be less bread-like).
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    V4M - pizza dough doesn't need much fat as a rule, just olive oil is enough. I usually make a basic dough recipe just using strong flour, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil. Works fine, it's usually a Jamie Oliver recipe I follow I think.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Oct 16, 9:38 PM
    • 20,469 Posts
    • 40,379 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    V4M - pizza dough doesn't need much fat as a rule, just olive oil is enough. I usually make a basic dough recipe just using strong flour, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil. Works fine, it's usually a Jamie Oliver recipe I follow I think.
    Originally posted by DWhite
    Thats exactly what I did, the criticism was not enough fat

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 9,556 Posts
    • 21,293 Thanks
    suki1964
    Thats exactly what I did, the criticism was not enough fat
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

The Jamie Oliver one I'm pretty sure uses more oil

I used to use a Gordon Ramsey one which was 4 or 5 tablespoons of oil. That was the one I posted the pic of that you admired ( sure it was you )

Also kneading it with oil instead of flour makes for a tasty crisp base. Just don't use the extra virgin - a tad too over powering
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    • 20,469 Posts
    • 40,379 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Jamie Oliver one I'm pretty sure uses more oil

I used to use a Gordon Ramsey one which was 4 or 5 tablespoons of oil. That was the one I posted the pic of that you admired ( sure it was you )

Also kneading it with oil instead of flour makes for a tasty crisp base. Just don't use the extra virgin - a tad too over powering
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Thanks, I'll give it a go and make garlic bread out of it. Can't bear to waste good vegetables on it if its only going to end up in the bin

• freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 29th Nov 16, 1:08 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 31,901 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Today i have made Pumpkin Pie
    CURRENTLY READING - THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS - TRISHA ASHLEY
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2016 £140
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2016 - £0/£600
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

2,472Users online

Martin's Twitter