Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Liz69
    Backdated Ground Rent
    • 21st Jan 10, 6:38 PM
    Backdated Ground Rent 21st Jan 10 at 6:38 PM
    Hello.

15 years ago I bought my property as leasehold. My solicitor was unable to find out who I needed to pay the ground rent to.

This week I have received notice from Morgoed Estates (who do exist on Companies House) requesting this years rent and six years backdated rent. I do not mind paying this if it is genuine, but I assume everybody is trying it on! Does anybody know if this company, who say they purchased the portfolio of rents in 2002 from the previous owner, can do this.

Thank you. Liz
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 21st Jan 10, 7:28 PM
    • 39,630 Posts
    • 45,129 Thanks
    G_M
    • 21st Jan 10, 7:28 PM
    • 21st Jan 10, 7:28 PM
    Check who owns the freehold at the Land Registry. Do NOT purchase the leasehold details for the property, you need the freehold. Cost is just £4.00

Come back and let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by G_M; 21-01-2010 at 8:14 PM.
  • DVardysShadow
    • 21st Jan 10, 8:46 PM
    • 21st Jan 10, 8:46 PM
    I would be writing to ask that they prove that they own the freehold and suggest that they provide the landreg info.
  • clutton
    • 21st Jan 10, 8:52 PM
    • 21st Jan 10, 8:52 PM
    it is legal to claim up to 6 years back ground rent.. however... companies who buy these often ask for £100+VAT for admin fees, when the original lease of the property specifies rent at £1.2s.6d per year - or whatever... read your original lease before paying a penny, and do get proof that they are the new freeholders - get them to prove it to you - solicitors letter would do it
  • blckbrd
    • 21st Jan 10, 9:03 PM
    • 21st Jan 10, 9:03 PM
    The limitation is 6 years from the last time that you admitted the debt or your last payment.

If you've not spoken to anyone or made payment since you bought how does that tally with the date of the 2004 demand or the 1st year if I've managed not to subtract properly?
    Opinion, advice and information are different things. Don't be surprised if you receive all 3 in response.
  • Liz69
    • 21st Jan 10, 11:17 PM
    • 21st Jan 10, 11:17 PM
    The limitation is 6 years from the last time that you admitted the debt or your last payment.

If you've not spoken to anyone or made payment since you bought how does that tally with the date of the 2004 demand or the 1st year if I've managed not to subtract properly?
    Originally posted by blckbrd
    Hi.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

I may be a bit dumb here. Just to outline my letter. Rent due on 1 May 2009 Plus 6 years arrears of rent. Morgoed Estates Limited aquired the portfolio of ground rents (apparently) in 2002/2003.They say that due to loss of some deeds there was a delay before they were able to register at the Land Registry.

This is the first time anybody has contacted me since I purchased the property 15 years ago.

I will get in touch with them tomorrow and ask them to provide evidence. Do you know if the onus is on them to provide evidence or up to me to disprove it ie I have to contact Land Registry?

Liz
    • G_M
    • By G_M 21st Jan 10, 11:31 PM
    • 39,630 Posts
    • 45,129 Thanks
    G_M
    • 21st Jan 10, 11:31 PM
    • 21st Jan 10, 11:31 PM
    Hi.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

I will get in touch with them tomorrow and ask them to provide evidence. Do you know if the onus is on them to provide evidence or up to me to disprove it ie I have to contact Land Registry?

Liz
    Originally posted by Liz69
    If it were me I'd do both. I'd trust info I got myself form the LandReg 100% whereas provided by them max 90% (if it's a scam, not hard to produce a 'document').
  • clutton
    • 22nd Jan 10, 10:11 AM
    • 22nd Jan 10, 10:11 AM
    have you got your lease ? if not check with the solicitor who acted for oyu when you bought it ...
  • Morgoed Estates
    • 23rd Jan 10, 4:14 PM
    • 23rd Jan 10, 4:14 PM
    Hello.

15 years ago I bought my property as leasehold. My solicitor was unable to find out who I needed to pay the ground rent to.

This week I have received notice from Morgoed Estates (who do exist on Companies House) requesting this years rent and six years backdated rent. I do not mind paying this if it is genuine, but I assume everybody is trying it on! Does anybody know if this company, who say they purchased the portfolio of rents in 2002 from the previous owner, can do this.

Thank you. Liz
    Originally posted by Liz69
    Dear Liz69,

Please feel free to check out our title at the Land Registry. Visit their website and click on the "Find a Property" link.

Should you have any problems, please email us through the contact pages at our website - morgoedestates.com, and we will send you our title number which you can use to access the correct Land Registry entry.

Kind regards,

Morgoed Estates
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 23rd Jan 10, 5:00 PM
    • 23,843 Posts
    • 27,065 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Deal with your freeholder in writing by recorded delivery, you may need a paper trail.
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
  • clutton
    Morgoed- why should any of your tenants have to incur expense for them to prove that you have an entitlement to claim money from them - it is up to you - sent them a copy of your solicitors purtchase completion or some such official letter to prove your entitlement.....

In any case - what are you doing addressing someone on a public forum... you should be provided properly authenticated names and addresses by letter to your tenant......

NOT a very professional way to start off a business relationship......
  • Morgoed Estates
    Morgoed- why should any of your tenants have to incur expense for them to prove that you have an entitlement to claim money from them - it is up to you - sent them a copy of your solicitors purtchase completion or some such official letter to prove your entitlement.....

In any case - what are you doing addressing someone on a public forum... you should be provided properly authenticated names and addresses by letter to your tenant......

NOT a very professional way to start off a business relationship......
    Originally posted by clutton
    Clutton - If Liz69 wants to check us out further at the Land Registry independently she does have that option. We do enclose rent authority letters from the previous owners on a issuing a first demand.

On your last point, we would very pleased if Liz69 contacts us direct as mentioned in our previous post. A post here has the benefit of being a record open to our other tenants who may come across this forum before looking at our web site.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 24th Jan 10, 12:59 AM
    • 4,762 Posts
    • 10,854 Thanks
    Money maker
    Liz. please do as other posters have suggested. With all due respect to Morgoed Estates, a posting name does not validate that the poster is indeed that person or related to that person (ie. I could have posted as 'Gordon Brown').
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 24th Jan 10, 1:48 AM
    • 23,843 Posts
    • 27,065 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Clutton - If Liz69 wants to check us out further at the Land Registry independently she does have that option. We do enclose rent authority letters from the previous owners on a issuing a first demand.

On your last point, we would very pleased if Liz69 contacts us direct as mentioned in our previous post. A post here has the benefit of being a record open to our other tenants who may come across this forum before looking at our web site.
    Originally posted by Morgoed Estates
    If you bothered to read the forum rules you would know you need to apply to the powers-that-be for permission to be an official company representative on MSE.
  • clutton
    Margoed says "We do enclose rent authority letters from the previous owners on a issuing a first demand. "" - that indeed would be a professional way to do things....

Whilst you are here Margoed, do we have your unequivocal statement that you only charge your tenants exactly the same rent as that detailed in their original leases ?
    Last edited by clutton; 24-01-2010 at 10:55 AM.
  • curlygirl1971
    Hi

Came across this thread as I am dealing with Morgoed Estates at present.

The purchased the ground rent for my house some years ago (2004?). I found out because a) the lady that used to collect the ground rent (my neighbour) told me it had been sold to the company b) I got their letter and enclosed was a kind of letter of authority from a solicitor. I can't remember if the solicitor contacted me independantly or not. They did not put the ground rent up.

They have since offered me the opportunity to purchase the ground rent outright - for £40. I guess its a low amount because its an old property and there must be some kind of limitation on what can be charged relative to the ground rent charge. I haven't completed the process yet and am hoping that it all goes well - I must admit to feeling a little nervous about it all myself - kind of too good/easy to be true?! But I can say that so far they've been professional and helpful. Lets see what happens.

HTH
  • clutton
    do let us know how you get on....
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 11th Feb 10, 8:14 AM
    • 7,382 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    They have since offered me the opportunity to purchase the ground rent outright - for £40.
    I don't know anything about Morgoed Estates but given the kind of scams that have been reported on this forum this figure is a good sign and on the low side of what freeholders typically ask - also that they have bothered to come on this forum and make comments.

Credit where credit is due. We have never seen comments from certain other managing agents/freeholders who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • curlygirl1971
    Thanks Richard

Well I am in receipt of a 'Rentcharge Release Deed' for my property. The annual charge was previously £2.25 and the Release fee was £40.50. It was an easy process and like I say Morgoed were professional and prompt. Their covering letter states that the deed 'formally confirms the completion of your recent outright purchase of the rent liability'.

So I now have the freehold? I think. Feel a bit unsure as no where in the deed does it say the word 'freehold' and am wondering if all I've done is released myself from paying rent to the holder of the freehold........?

Their letter ends with '.....any amendments to the title (as registered at the land registry) would take place when the property is next sold. There is no need to take action now but obviously the release deed must be kept safe with the (title) deeds, so that it may be sent on to the Land Registry when next the property is sold.'

Aaaah .... 'title'.....so this bit does suggest that the title relating to the freehold has changed.

So I guess this means that if I looked at the freehold on the LR website it would still say 'Morgoed Estates'? From what I can gather there is a £50 fee for updating register. So......not sure if I wil do as the letter says (nothing) or take this a step further.

Am going to bank tomorrow and if there is no fee I will store the release deed with my house deeds and if there is then I'm off to B&Q to buy a firebox
    Last edited by curlygirl1971; 13-02-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 13th Feb 10, 12:33 AM
    • 23,843 Posts
    • 27,065 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Did you not get legal advice on this transaction at all?? I am struggling to believe you have purchased the freehold for forty quid without any legal involvement if so.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,856Posts Today

4,580Users online

Martin's Twitter