IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
HGV/LGV Funded Training
Closed Thread
Views: 9,682
# 1
CB1985
Old 19-01-2010, 1:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question HGV/LGV Funded Training

Hi guys, im in need of alot of help atm finding and exploring different avenues for HGV/LGV training

I am currently unemployed in receipt of JSA with my stage 3 review in a week or so (28/01)

I have been in touch with the JC but after 3 days of phone calls to them the answers i have received are vague at best, the only definitive answer i got was " You'll have to speak to your stage 3 advisor he will know more/better"

Unfortuneatly as i only passed my test in 2005 I do require the Full courses available by which i mean theory (all 3 parts) C practical and C+E practical

Those of you have taken these test will know the costs involved (circa 2000 all in)

I have spoken to a friend of mine who works for the JC and they say they do have providers in place for such training however people i have spoken to at my JC say oposite.

Another friend of mine has just completed his ADR course (Around 500) funded for by th JC however the JC have told me the upper limit on funding is only 300?? :confused:

At the time he did his course there was a guy there who claimed that my locall JC had put him through his C license and his ADR at th same time which would cost around 1500 iirc so im not quite grasping the concept that the upper limit of funding is 300?

My questions are...

Firstly, are the JC trying to discourage me going for this course? i understand it is expensive but wouldnt i be better use to them if i was working and paying my tax and thus topping up the social fund pot?

What other channels/avenues are there available to me regards funding? I dont think a CDL (Career Development Loan) is an option as my credit rating is shot to sh*t due to me losing my job when the recession hit! Also, does anyone know of any HGV/LGV training providers who have scurd funding from the ESF

I have been in touch with a place called Next Step Careers Advice, who are arranging an interview/meeting with them regards funding for this course, has anyone had dealings with them or know if they are any good at securing funding/training?

I dont know if this info will help but i am 24 years old full UK Pass-Plus license (Car) on JSA for longer than 6 months (ive been informed more "options" are open to me once iv been on JSA for 6 months)

At this point i havent had my review yet with the JC but i want to b armed with as much information as possible and obviously other channels to explore should the JC Decline funding for me

Any help whatsoever is gratly appreciated guys and sorry for the long winded post LOL!
# 2
farmerboy
Old 19-01-2010, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

They probably are trying to put you off because of the ammout of expierienced LGV drivers claiming JC at the minute.

As well as the theory and practical you will also need to complete the driver CPC, not sure what this entails for new drivers but its another cost.

Have you done any research into the jobs available in your area? And I don't mean the ones advertised by agencies. You have nearly passed one of the hurdles that employers put down, being over 25, but you'll still need 2 yrs experience before most employers will look at you.

If you do manage to get funding, please seek out an independant driving school, DONOT go through firms like Qualitas/Stearling, or you'll be back on here belly aching that you've lost your money. Also IME any which say a guarenteed job at the end are lying.
# 3
CB1985
Old 19-01-2010, 2:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks farmerboy, yes i am aware of the 25 years old/2 years exp however i have no problem temping for agencies even doin multidrop until such period has passed (can only do utpo 3.5t on car license so 7.5t M/D i need my C)

the way i see it, is atm, on JSA i get 50/week i can earn that in one shift temping

I have a few friends who are HGV drivers and a few contacts in the industry so as regards finding work i would say i have a little edge over others and i used to drive cars/vans for a living a few year ago so have a few contacts at haulage firms etc from delivering mercs to thier MD's

And i know about the CPC i forgot about that bit AFAIK this is what i need to do..

LGV Theory test (3 parts - Multiple choice questions, Hazard Perception & Case Study)
Medical Examination
C Practical
C + E Practical
CPC Competancy test
# 4
Anihilator
Old 19-01-2010, 2:22 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You don't get it do you

Friends or not there is no shortage of experienced drivers on the dole. Why would someone want to pay you to join them or employ you over experienced staff who know what their doing and dont have training expenses etc.

The JC want to help you but they also need to be realistic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anihilator For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
CB1985
Old 19-01-2010, 2:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Which is one of the reasons im NOT approaching companies who provide training FOC with a term contract after passing, why would someone want to train me then pay me! i agree with that part, but im one of the few (in my area atleast anyway) that is activley seeking work (to no avail i might add) and retrain for a new career, this is something ive always been interested in doing,

and no offence anihilator, but i came here looking for help to find funding/training to do this course and follow a new career and get off JSA and back into work, not to be told theres no work in the sector (which there is quite a bit in my area incidently) and basically not to bother
The Following User Says Thank You to CB1985 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Widelats
Old 19-01-2010, 3:08 PM

Yes, there is HGV available, the jobcentre do know about it, i went for it too and they told me i had to have a normal driving licence for 2 years before i went on to any HGV.

There is/was a lot of mountain road truck drivers jobs in Alaska they were advertising in the jobcentre, but you had to have mountain road experience and willing to work in sub zero conditions, i was thinking the ice road truckers might be advertising these jobs, as it is in the same state and the same kind of work.
Owed out = lots.
# 7
Anihilator
Old 19-01-2010, 3:44 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1985 View Post
Which is one of the reasons im NOT approaching companies who provide training FOC with a term contract after passing, why would someone want to train me then pay me! i agree with that part, but im one of the few (in my area atleast anyway) that is activley seeking work (to no avail i might add) and retrain for a new career, this is something ive always been interested in doing,

and no offence anihilator, but i came here looking for help to find funding/training to do this course and follow a new career and get off JSA and back into work, not to be told theres no work in the sector (which there is quite a bit in my area incidently) and basically not to bother

The truth hearts

Heres a suggestion. Get a job rather than embark on some other expensive fantasy at the taxpayers expense only to discover down the line there isnt the work you want and to !!!!!! off back on the dole at our expense.

You claim it isnt the case but it is. The whole HGV licence stuff is as big a scam as the driving colleges.

You wont be unindated with work and you wont be well off.

Find a nice easy office/shop job and work now. Dont waste time spending our money on training to end up in the same situation down the line.

You can claim whatever you want but its a fantasy and thankfully the JC seem to realise this and wont throw a few thousand at you to waste to avoid working.
# 8
Widelats
Old 19-01-2010, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anihilator View Post
The truth hearts

Heres a suggestion. Get a job rather than embark on some other expensive fantasy at the taxpayers expense only to discover down the line there isnt the work you want and to !!!!!! off back on the dole at our expense.

You claim it isnt the case but it is. The whole HGV licence stuff is as big a scam as the driving colleges.

You wont be unindated with work and you wont be well off.

Find a nice easy office/shop job and work now. Dont waste time spending our money on training to end up in the same situation down the line.

You can claim whatever you want but its a fantasy and thankfully the JC seem to realise this and wont throw a few thousand at you to waste to avoid working.
Driving trucks isnt a fantasy, working on the moon is. The JC do provide training, if you have relevant experience.
Owed out = lots.
# 9
CB1985
Old 19-01-2010, 3:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I Love It! out of the millions of people in this country who abuse our benefit system and have no intentions of working you choose to lay your "stop wasting my tax money" attack on me! Being one of the minority on benefits that wants to activley retrain and seek work, what about when your out of work and im paying tax? any chance i can come give you a verbal bashing and tell YOU what to do?.... thought not! If you dont have anything helpful-constructive to say towards me or the situation dont bother, hav your opionion by all means but DO NOT tell me what to do with my life!
# 10
Anihilator
Old 19-01-2010, 5:50 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widelats View Post
Driving trucks isnt a fantasy, working on the moon is. The JC do provide training, if you have relevant experience.
So you dont think expecting the JC to pay 2000/3000 to train him to become something which there are hundreds of on the dole is a bit unrealistic.

Maybe the JC will just keep to putting those who already have the qualifications and experience and no jobs forward rather than wasting money to keep someone else out of a proper job for a bit longer.

OP - why dont you just try harder to get a job that actually exists and doesnt need thousands of retraining hmmmm.
# 11
CB1985
Old 19-01-2010, 6:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

great idea why didnt i think of that, oh wait yeah i did! its so easy for those in a job to say go get one...
# 12
Anihilator
Old 19-01-2010, 6:50 PM
PPR

Quote:
great idea why didnt i think of that, oh wait yeah i did! its so easy for those in a job to say go get one...
Its easier than getting an HGV job anyway:rolleyes:
# 13
CB1985
Old 19-01-2010, 6:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anihilator View Post
Its easier than getting an HGV job anyway:rolleyes:
well obviously i havent got a Class 1 license yet!

i know enough people in enough places to get a position within weeks and as stated id quite happily temp for agencys for crap money than sign on every fortnight!

and i wish you would stop patronising me, when was the last time you were out of work? do you work for the JC/DWP?

as said, its so easy for those of you in work and have been during this recession/!!!! state of uk affairs to say get a job

Im don arguing the toss with you anyway, i came here for help not to be talked down to by some !!!! end stuck up on his high horse
# 14
pinkpig08
Old 19-01-2010, 6:58 PM

Have you considered trying to get a job to save and fund your own training? My husband is an HGV driver, he did his C+E last year and had to pay approx 1000 for it. It's not cheap but if it's what you really want to do then it's worth saving up for.
Sealed Pot Challenge #817 50 banked
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkpig08 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Anihilator
Old 19-01-2010, 6:59 PM
PPR

Quote:
well obviously i havent got a Class 1 license yet!

i know enough people in enough places to get a position within weeks and as stated id quite happily temp for agencys for crap money than sign on every fortnight!

and i wish you would stop patronising me, when was the last time you were out of work? do you work for the JC/DWP?

as said, its so easy for those of you in work and have been during this recession/!!!! state of uk affairs to say get a job

Im don arguing the toss with you anyway, i came here for help not to be talked down to by some !!!! end stuck up on his high horse

That well placed the only jobs all your contacts have are for drivers yeah? Because hauliers etc dont need non driving staff.

And for the record there is no shortage of qualified HGV drivers already. You wont be any better off having a licence.

Anyone who wants drivers will hire nice experienced ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anihilator For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
CB1985
Old 19-01-2010, 7:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpig08 View Post
Have you considered trying to get a job to save and fund your own training? My husband is an HGV driver, he did his C+E last year and had to pay approx 1000 for it. It's not cheap but if it's what you really want to do then it's worth saving up for.
i am currently seekin work and obviously this may be the only option open to me, as some people on here aren't very helpful, but as i have said i am finding it hard, not finding the work most of the time its actually getting a reply from th employer! im not going to say theres no jobs around my area because there is, but now theres 30x more people applying for said jobs.
# 17
busy mom
Old 19-01-2010, 7:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Lets explain how jobentre funding works,
ADF is adviser discretion funding and this has a maximum of 300 to remove 'small' barriers into employment, it could be tools, clothes etc, it could be the digital card you need or maybe your forklift licence has expired and you can prove of several vacancies you could apply for.

Next thing is rapid response, people who have been made redundant within a certain period and without training they will struggle to find employment. This because there work doesn't exist anymore and they have no transferable skills.

Their case will be looked at individually, are they likely to get a job at the end, as many people have pointed out there is no shortage of experienced drivers out there. This may mean they would refuse your training and your age is also against you. They would consider you able of getting a normal driving job then saving up.
Tax payers money is not there for everyone to get their 'ideal' job

What work have you done before? Where you made redundant from that job? Why wait 6mnths before trying to find training?
# 18
hgvlgvtraining
Old 19-01-2010, 8:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Funding For LGV Training

Interesting thread. Regarding funding. From working in the LGV licence acquisition market I am not aware of any funding, as such. You mentioned earlier CDL's, however if your credit rating is poor you will struggle to get approved.
The JC, from my understanding will fund training if you have been unemployed for more than 6 months. It is rare for the JC to pay for C, C+E and ADR all at once. The Driver CPC is also here, but it does not affect you if you passed your car test before 1997. Most, if not all LGV training companies are independents and it is best to go direct. Personally I would approach your local provider and see what funding they may have in their area, i.e. NVQ, or ESF. Each training company has its own setup. The haulage industry has been effected just as much as every other, and jobs are harder to get then before. Saying that, things will pick up, as will the demand for Drivers. It may be a good time to re-skill and get qualified. What ever you do, be careful before you part with any money for training. Have a look around to find a local LGV training provider. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to hgvlgvtraining For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
CB1985
Old 19-01-2010, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thank you! i knew pretty much everything you said but not in as much detail regards the funding, TBH i wouldnt want to do the ADR yet and would be happy with JC funding my Class1 (rigid) and do th artic C+E later out of my own pocket same with ADR
# 20
passatrider
Old 19-01-2010, 9:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Don't take any notice of 'Anihilator' he thinks every driving job is easy!
Closed Thread