Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gwen80
    • By gwen80 17th Jan 10, 12:11 AM
    • 2,166Posts
    • 4,404Thanks
    gwen80
    Vaillant ecotec pro 28
    • 17th Jan 10, 12:11 AM
    Vaillant ecotec pro 28 17th Jan 10 at 12:11 AM
    Hi

My Mum is looking to get a new boiler. She's had a quote for the above. I've tried to do some research on the internet about it and I'm slightly concerned that it seems to be recommended for flats and small houses. My Mum lives in a reasonably large three bedroom bungalow and I'm slight concerned it might not be powerful enough. Can anybody advise me or tell me how I can work out if it will be suitable?

Thanks

Gwen
    Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending
Page 1
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 17th Jan 10, 9:15 AM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    • 17th Jan 10, 9:15 AM
    • 17th Jan 10, 9:15 AM
    Hi.

I would go with the Ecotec Plus 831 or 837. When you say 'not powerful enough' do you mean for the heating side? If so then it would be fine ,it's the hot water side you want to watch for. Pro =11.5 l/m 831 =12.7 837 = 15.2 l/m.
    The Pro is the cheap end with 1 year warranty.
    What is the full spec?

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • CarineG
    • 17th Jan 10, 10:05 AM
    • 17th Jan 10, 10:05 AM
    I have a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24 installed last year and can recommend the brand, I have had no problem since it has been installed 1.5 years ago.
    As for suitability of the one you have been quoted, I would think any professional would be able to advise you depending on the expected usage.
  • ormus
    • 17th Jan 10, 10:31 AM
    • 17th Jan 10, 10:31 AM
    the boiler will be fine. most/all combis take ages to fill a bath. (the only downside).
    showers are no problem.
    Get some gorm.
  • BeauBelle
    • 17th Jan 10, 7:56 PM
    • 17th Jan 10, 7:56 PM
    Hi Gwen

We had an Ecotec Plus 831 installed 2 years ago and its great!

Had a couple of issues with the flimsy dials coming off in DH hands! But its saved us a bomb.

We have a 4 bedroom townhouse and its cut our gas bills in half. Vaillents Customer service was great too, engineer out the following day both times.

Regards
    Kate
  • heating-eng
    • 26th Jan 10, 2:40 AM
    • 26th Jan 10, 2:40 AM
    Hi

My Mum is looking to get a new boiler. She's had a quote for the above. I've tried to do some research on the internet about it and I'm slightly concerned that it seems to be recommended for flats and small houses. My Mum lives in a reasonably large three bedroom bungalow and I'm slight concerned it might not be powerful enough. Can anybody advise me or tell me how I can work out if it will be suitable?

Thanks

Gwen
    Originally posted by gwen80
    the ecotec 28 pro is a good boiler ...and should be ok ..all depends on the flow rate req ..the bigger the boiler the better the flow
    the 28kw gives 11.5l/min with a 35 degree rise or 9.6l/min with a 42 degree rise

the 831 gives 12.7l/min @35 de and 10.6 l/min @42 degree rise
    Last edited by heating-eng; 26-01-2010 at 2:44 AM.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • fishhawks
    • 26th Jan 10, 8:32 AM
    • 26th Jan 10, 8:32 AM
    Eco -tec pro 28
    Very reliable boiler
    Mostly all I fit, although the new Ideal logic plus looks excellent and worth a look , also comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 2 price is good also .
    Waddle you do eh?
  • heating-eng
    • 26th Jan 10, 1:16 PM
    • 26th Jan 10, 1:16 PM
    Eco -tec pro 28
    Very reliable boiler
    Mostly all I fit, although the new Ideal logic plus looks excellent and worth a look , also comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 2 price is good also .
    Originally posted by fishhawks
    i like the Vaillant but i would never fit an ideal again after all the past problems they have had
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
    • gwen80
    • By gwen80 6th Feb 10, 2:09 PM
    • 2,166 Posts
    • 4,404 Thanks
    gwen80
    • 6th Feb 10, 2:09 PM
    • 6th Feb 10, 2:09 PM
    Sorry for not replying to this thread, have been caught up with other things. My Mum is still thinking of getting this boiler. I've heard lots of good things about Vaillant, so am happy with that. It's more if that particular boiler will provide enough heat/hot water for the house.

The house has three good sized bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, large living room, small-ish bathroom and good sized hallway. I was concerned because I'd read that this boiler was suitable for a flat or small (1-2 bedroom) house.

However, there is only one bathroom with a bath with electric shower over and of course, the kitchen sink, so I guess not too much hot water required, but I just don't want my Mum to get it put in and then realise it's not suitable.

Gwenx
    Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 6th Feb 10, 2:16 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    Hi.

I would go with the Ecotec Plus 831 or 837. When you say 'not powerful enough' do you mean for the heating side? If so then it would be fine ,it's the hot water side you want to watch for. Pro =11.5 l/m 831 =12.7 837 = 15.2 l/m.
    The Pro is the cheap end with 1 year warranty.
    What is the full spec?

GSR.
    Originally posted by Canucklehead
    Same opinion, but .
    Have the electric shower removed . Gas will be much cheaper for a shower.

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • gas4you
    If you can go for the Ecotec Plus 831.

A lot better boiler, far more advanced in the way it works and a longer warranty.

You should be able to get at least a 3 year warranty if you find the right installer.

The Ecotec Pro, is a very basic cut down version of the boiler that was produced by Vaillant for the new build market primarily.

Trouble is these days, Vaillant still have good products, but the company and it's staff are near on useless.
    Last edited by gas4you; 06-02-2010 at 7:28 PM.
  • thursday
    Vaillant boilers - they very good website where you can work out which boiler is suitable for your needs...how many bathrooms and such.
    I have Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 since dec 08 and it seems to be fine so far. Gas consumption halved up until end of december 09!
  • redst02
    Vaillant ecotec Plus 831 Vs Pro 28
    Vaillant dont seem to spell out the difference between a plus 831 and Pro 28. The latter is "cut down" but is 175 cheaper. Having gone through spares catalogs it looks as if the items tabulated below are the differences. For my particular instance I've gone for the cheaper alternative: slightly less DHW flow rate, but the same control board is fitted to both. The saving on costs allows me to use the Vaillant VRC 430 sophisticated outside temperature compensator/controller/thermostat with money to spare. Hopefully by using the VRC 430 it will provide additional fuel savings.

Warranty: 2yr v 1yr
    Condensate: syphon v trap
    Pump: 2 stage v 1 stage
    User control Cover: Yes v No
    DHW heat exchange: 20 Plate v 13 Plate
    Additional DHW thermistor on outlet pipe: Yes v No
    Diverter valve: Alternative part number
    Integral Filling loop: Yes v No
    Additional user display information: Icon v LED indicators
    User Control Knob: Rounded v Squared protrusion
    DHW flow rate l/min: 12.7 v 11.5

In summary the Pro has 1.2 l/min less DHW flow rate, but other than that their is no much in it.

Stephen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,596Posts Today

5,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm signing off for the evening. Have a wonderful weekend and try and say something nice to someone who voted the other way to you!

• There's no crystal ball but if its the right house for you and you can afford the repayments - why not? https://t.co/3YMd7hTneJ

• RT @dylcojones: @MartinSLewis your video posted this morning gave me a bit of hope that things might be ok!

• Follow Martin