IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Vaillant ecotec pro 28
Closed Thread
Views: 12,999
# 1
gwen80
Old 17-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Vaillant ecotec pro 28

Hi

My Mum is looking to get a new boiler. She's had a quote for the above. I've tried to do some research on the internet about it and I'm slightly concerned that it seems to be recommended for flats and small houses. My Mum lives in a reasonably large three bedroom bungalow and I'm slight concerned it might not be powerful enough. Can anybody advise me or tell me how I can work out if it will be suitable?

Thanks

Gwen
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending
# 2
Canucklehead
Old 17-01-2010, 9:15 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi.

I would go with the Ecotec Plus 831 or 837. When you say 'not powerful enough' do you mean for the heating side? If so then it would be fine ,it's the hot water side you want to watch for. Pro =11.5 l/m 831 =12.7 837 = 15.2 l/m.
The Pro is the cheap end with 1 year warranty.
What is the full spec?

GSR.
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
The Following User Says Thank You to Canucklehead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
CarineG
Old 17-01-2010, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24 installed last year and can recommend the brand, I have had no problem since it has been installed 1.5 years ago.
As for suitability of the one you have been quoted, I would think any professional would be able to advise you depending on the expected usage.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarineG For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ormus
Old 17-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

the boiler will be fine. most/all combis take ages to fill a bath. (the only downside).
showers are no problem.
Get some gorm.
The Following User Says Thank You to ormus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
BeauBelle
Old 17-01-2010, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Gwen

We had an Ecotec Plus 831 installed 2 years ago and its great!

Had a couple of issues with the flimsy dials coming off in DH hands! But its saved us a bomb.

We have a 4 bedroom townhouse and its cut our gas bills in half. Vaillents Customer service was great too, engineer out the following day both times.

Regards
Kate
The Following User Says Thank You to BeauBelle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
heating-eng
Old 26-01-2010, 2:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen80 View Post
Hi

My Mum is looking to get a new boiler. She's had a quote for the above. I've tried to do some research on the internet about it and I'm slightly concerned that it seems to be recommended for flats and small houses. My Mum lives in a reasonably large three bedroom bungalow and I'm slight concerned it might not be powerful enough. Can anybody advise me or tell me how I can work out if it will be suitable?

Thanks

Gwen
the ecotec 28 pro is a good boiler ...and should be ok ..all depends on the flow rate req ..the bigger the boiler the better the flow
the 28kw gives 11.5l/min with a 35 degree rise or 9.6l/min with a 42 degree rise

the 831 gives 12.7l/min @35 de and 10.6 l/min @42 degree rise
X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
Please don,t let this put you off.

Last edited by heating-eng; 26-01-2010 at 2:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to heating-eng For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
fishhawks
Old 26-01-2010, 8:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Eco -tec pro 28
Very reliable boiler
Mostly all I fit, although the new Ideal logic plus looks excellent and worth a look , also comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 2 price is good also .
Waddle you do eh?
The Following User Says Thank You to fishhawks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
heating-eng
Old 26-01-2010, 1:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhawks View Post
Eco -tec pro 28
Very reliable boiler
Mostly all I fit, although the new Ideal logic plus looks excellent and worth a look , also comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 2 price is good also .
i like the Vaillant but i would never fit an ideal again after all the past problems they have had
X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
Please don,t let this put you off.
The Following User Says Thank You to heating-eng For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
gwen80
Old 06-02-2010, 2:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry for not replying to this thread, have been caught up with other things. My Mum is still thinking of getting this boiler. I've heard lots of good things about Vaillant, so am happy with that. It's more if that particular boiler will provide enough heat/hot water for the house.

The house has three good sized bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, large living room, small-ish bathroom and good sized hallway. I was concerned because I'd read that this boiler was suitable for a flat or small (1-2 bedroom) house.

However, there is only one bathroom with a bath with electric shower over and of course, the kitchen sink, so I guess not too much hot water required, but I just don't want my Mum to get it put in and then realise it's not suitable.

Gwenx
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending
# 10
Canucklehead
Old 06-02-2010, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucklehead View Post
Hi.

I would go with the Ecotec Plus 831 or 837. When you say 'not powerful enough' do you mean for the heating side? If so then it would be fine ,it's the hot water side you want to watch for. Pro =11.5 l/m 831 =12.7 837 = 15.2 l/m.
The Pro is the cheap end with 1 year warranty.
What is the full spec?

GSR.
Same opinion, but .
Have the electric shower removed . Gas will be much cheaper for a shower.

GSR.
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
The Following User Says Thank You to Canucklehead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
gas4you
Old 06-02-2010, 2:18 PM

If you can go for the Ecotec Plus 831.

A lot better boiler, far more advanced in the way it works and a longer warranty.

You should be able to get at least a 3 year warranty if you find the right installer.

The Ecotec Pro, is a very basic cut down version of the boiler that was produced by Vaillant for the new build market primarily.

Trouble is these days, Vaillant still have good products, but the company and it's staff are near on useless.

Last edited by gas4you; 06-02-2010 at 7:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gas4you For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
thursday
Old 06-02-2010, 3:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Vaillant boilers - they very good website where you can work out which boiler is suitable for your needs...how many bathrooms and such.
I have Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 since dec 08 and it seems to be fine so far. Gas consumption halved up until end of december 09!
The Following User Says Thank You to thursday For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
redst02
Old 01-03-2010, 5:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Vaillant ecotec Plus 831 Vs Pro 28

Vaillant dont seem to spell out the difference between a plus 831 and Pro 28. The latter is "cut down" but is 175 cheaper. Having gone through spares catalogs it looks as if the items tabulated below are the differences. For my particular instance I've gone for the cheaper alternative: slightly less DHW flow rate, but the same control board is fitted to both. The saving on costs allows me to use the Vaillant VRC 430 sophisticated outside temperature compensator/controller/thermostat with money to spare. Hopefully by using the VRC 430 it will provide additional fuel savings.

Warranty: 2yr v 1yr
Condensate: syphon v trap
Pump: 2 stage v 1 stage
User control Cover: Yes v No
DHW heat exchange: 20 Plate v 13 Plate
Additional DHW thermistor on outlet pipe: Yes v No
Diverter valve: Alternative part number
Integral Filling loop: Yes v No
Additional user display information: Icon v LED indicators
User Control Knob: Rounded v Squared protrusion
DHW flow rate l/min: 12.7 v 11.5

In summary the Pro has 1.2 l/min less DHW flow rate, but other than that their is no much in it.

Stephen
Closed Thread