Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > Cheapest place to buy MAC makeup? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cheapest place to buy MAC makeup?
Closed Thread
Views: 6,174
# 1
adidas
Old 16-01-2010, 1:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Cheapest place to buy MAC makeup?

I don't wear much make-up but was looking at the threads in here to start getting into it. In particular, I'd like to buy some good eyeshadow. I noted the use of milk of magnesium as a primer and will try it out. I've seen people when I'm out in town with really vivid and amazing eye makeup and can never get mine quite like that. I was going to invest in some decent eyeshadows (a mixture of colours probably) and everyone on here seems to speak very highly of MAC! I wondered where the cheapest place would be to purchase eye makeup from them?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to adidas For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
donnac2558
Old 16-01-2010, 1:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You won't get MAC cheap, to be honest it is not that much more that buying the drugstore brands. Be very wary of ebay for MAC most of it is fake and from the far east. Online cheap stores don't have MAC or if you do find it again fake.

Their eyeshadows are good.
# 3
glowgirl
Old 16-01-2010, 2:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sorry cant answer your question but you could check out Barry M or GOSH from Superdrug for vivid colours and decent quality/prices
Thank you for this site Martin
The time for change has come
Good luck for the future
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glowgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Bronnie
Old 16-01-2010, 3:24 PM

Definitely worth going into one of their stores or one of the big stores where they have a counter at a quiet time a couple of times and asking the consultant to apply the products, so you can be absolutely sure what you're buying suits you. If you pay full price and actually use the products it's not a waste of money. Buying unseen at a cheaper price and not using it is!!

HTH!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bronnie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
daisybella
Old 16-01-2010, 3:26 PM

Like others have said, the only place to get REAL MAC is at a counter or via their website,
ebay etc are full of fakes.

Similar colour payoff to MAC would include GOSH, Sleek and Barry M, all available at Superdrug, and would certainly be of better quality than "cheap" i.e. fake MAC that you might un-wittingly buy online.
The Following User Says Thank You to daisybella For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
missm29
Old 16-01-2010, 6:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yep lots of fake mac and benefit makeup on ebay....even if you buy it from someone in the uk its usually been bought in bulk from hong kong/china etc.....recently got a benetint from ebay and i thought something was different from the one i had years ago....and now i notice the seller is no longer registered.
# 7
kerrydrobertson
Old 16-01-2010, 7:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

yeah i would save up the money and get it either on their website or a mac counter. they are always really helpful when i've been and find what suits you and what you would like
# 8
hieveryone
Old 16-01-2010, 7:25 PM

If you are starting out with make up and eyeshadow etc, I'd start out with cheap eyeshadows. Surprisingly, cheaper eyeshadows are usually pretty highly pigmented - I recently got these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_2625wt_939

and they are fantastic.

Also, if you are interested in a particular MAC product, search for the product name then put 'dupe' after it, for example 'MAC Creme di Nude lipstick dupe', and it should throw up some ideas for very very similar products.

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
The Following User Says Thank You to hieveryone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
elfen
Old 16-01-2010, 7:56 PM

I'd recommend GOSH and Collection 2000 surprisingly, I've been buying both recently and they do some really good vivid colours and stuff. The Collection 2000 mineral foundation is surprisingly good for under a fiver!
** Total debt: 6950.82 May NSDs 1/10 **
** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
**SPC 2012 #1498 -152 and 1499 ***
I do it all because I'm scared.
# 10
adidas
Old 16-01-2010, 9:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you all for your advice. I may try the Barry M/GOSH stuff from Superdrug first and then try MAC as it is certainly a lot more expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to adidas For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
CompletelyLost
Old 16-01-2010, 9:16 PM

I would recommend Sleek makeup if you want to experiment with colours - they sell palettes for 4.99 in Superdrug and they are brilliant. I have one of each palette and they contain every colour imaginable. Well worth the money. They're extra pigmented too as the makeup line is designed for people with black and asian skin.

As for MAC, I agree with the others about going to a MAC counter or order from their website as it's the only way to ensure you're getting the real deal.
# 12
mogwai
Old 16-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

for vivid colours and staying power would recommend using an eyeshadow primer - the one by Urban decay, primer potion is amazing! I have quite oily lids, and eyeshadow used to crease within an hour on me, but with this stuff, eyeshadows stays on all night with no creasing or dulling, and it makes even cheap eyeshadows look amazing.

It might be worth buying neutral colours from mac that you can use with everything else - e.g. highlighter, gold, and browns..
We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

Debt at LBM (Sep 07): 13,500. Current debt: 680 480 560 13 0 overdraft
Current aims - to start building up savings
1st 1000 in 100 days - 1178.03 2nd 1053.38/1000 3rd 863.59/1000
# 13
alias123
Old 17-01-2010, 12:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I second all those that recommend Barry M. Only just recently disovered the range and find the colours more intense than some of the Mac shades.
# 14
hieveryone
Old 17-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Also, don't shell out for expensive eyeshadow primers, use Milk of Magnesia.

# 15
FairyShazza
Old 17-01-2010, 7:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My tips for getting vivid colour on eyes would be....

To always use an eyeshadow primer - they really do work and aren't just a gimmic. I use Urban Decay Primer Potion and it helps colour go on better and stay there.

I love MAC pigments but as the others have said you can't get cheap MAC. If its cheap it's bound to be fake. I also love Barry M Dazzle dusts and I bought an 88 colour palette from Coastal Scents which has some amazing colours all of which have great staying power and pigmentation - for someone just starting to experiment with bright eyeshadows this is a great little kit.

I watch a lot of tutorials on You Tube on how to apply bold and colourful make up and look at pictures on Flickr. On You Tube look for MissChevious and Panacea81 and on Flickr look for PandaCatBaby.

I think when you are just starting to experiment with eye colour it's best to use cheaper brands to experiment. If I find a colour that I really like and am using a lot in a cheaper brand I will then splash out on the MAC equivalent.
One day Rodney we'll be millionaires
# 16
hieveryone
Old 17-01-2010, 7:57 PM

This seller: (and some others on ebay) sell palettes which are uncannily like Coastal Scents, and rumours in the 'beauty world' are that they are one and the same:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_5741wt_939

(they also do eyeshadow palettes and blushes etc)

# 17
brighthair
Old 17-01-2010, 8:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

love makeup (google it!) do discounted MAC and other ranges - not massive discounts but decent enough
also I don't know where you are, but Cheshire Oaks often have reduced end of line MAC in
# 18
hieveryone
Old 17-01-2010, 8:23 PM

Brighthair - you should NOT have showed that website They sell NYX too , oh god I'm in trouble!!

# 19
brighthair
Old 17-01-2010, 8:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

haha - *not enabling at all!*

specktra.net - great advice on make up
fyrinnae.com - great pigments
frontcovercosmetics.com - all good stuff

Boundary Mill also sells reduced NYX makeup
Sleek and Barry M are great, and so are Collection 2000 glitter gel liners
# 20
daisybella
Old 17-01-2010, 9:21 PM

Oh, like someone else mentioned a Primer will help show the colours better. Urban decay primer potion is the best, but expensive...

E.L.F's mineral eye primer is 3.50 and certainly comparable in terms of staying power
Closed Thread