Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Application - 3 interesting facts about yourself (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Application - 3 interesting facts about yourself
Closed Thread
Views: 7,551
# 1
top_drawer
Old 16-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to top_drawer
Default Application - 3 interesting facts about yourself

hi,

I'm applying for a job at Pets at Home and the application form includes questions such as Tell us 3 interesting facts about yourself .... tell us about your pets .... describe yourself as a pet... why are you suitable and what has attracted you to this role....

I can (kind of) see what they want for the last two but the others I'm baffled ...

Thanks

TD
# 2
mountainofdebt
Old 16-01-2010, 10:54 AM

Perhaps its some sort of physometric (?sp) testing?
The Following User Says Thank You to mountainofdebt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
shandypants5
Old 16-01-2010, 11:02 AM

1. my pet is a hooked-nose proboscis monkey

2. if I were to describe myself as a pet I would have to be a giant squid

3.I have long tentacles and a vivid imagination, I am attracted to the role because of the free fish.

Did I pass my physometric test??
“Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”

Last edited by shandypants5; 16-01-2010 at 11:04 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shandypants5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
elsietanner71
Old 16-01-2010, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The first one sounds like icebreaker type stuff - maybe its to ease you into the interview?

Have you got any party tricks? Can you lick your elbow?
The Following User Says Thank You to elsietanner71 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
top_drawer
Old 16-01-2010, 12:12 PM

lol no .... I'm trying to think of things which could be beneficial to the job .... I've come up with - I have a qualification in counselling skills ... so far

Describing myself as a dog seems too obvious .... loyal etc I bet everyone says that.

TD
# 6
jdturk
Old 16-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if i had asked that question I would be more looking to see if people have lives outside of work rather than skills.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdturk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
PasturesNew
Old 16-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Write in big crayon across it: I WUNT 2 STROK DA RABITZ
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Zazen999
Old 16-01-2010, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasturesNew View Post
Write in big crayon across it: I WUNT 2 STROK DA RABITZ
# 9
ceridwen
Old 16-01-2010, 4:02 PM
PPR

...and if I had to put 3 interesting facts about myself they'd probably never employ me (whadda I mean "probably"...).

But - thats been something thats been a bit of a problem for me throughout my worklife....as they undoubtedly want someone more conventional than me. I've long since come to the conclusion that whenever an employer asks for personal information of that description the appropriate translation for their question is "We are looking for someone who HAS interest/hobbies/etc - but they MUST be conventional ones - and be willing to drop them at a moments notice if the job requires it."......

Last edited by ceridwen; 16-01-2010 at 4:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ceridwen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
daska
Old 16-01-2010, 5:36 PM

Think carefully before choosing hobbies that are likely to result in them paying sick leave for illness or injury (extreme sports), indicate that you have/want children (going to the zoo), you do in isolation or are generally considered really 'sad' (trainspotting).

Alternatively, though unlikely, it might be that they've just lost their company football team's goalie and need a replacement that can double up LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daska For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
CCFC_80
Old 16-01-2010, 5:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It annoys me how companies are now so fussy on recruiting and asking this type of question on an application form.They can obviously take advantage of the current economic situation.

A few years ago this company would have literally kidnapped people off the street to come and work for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to CCFC_80 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
elfen
Old 16-01-2010, 6:16 PM

Can you curl your tongue?
The asking about pets is to see if you have experience with animals and different types of animals - so how you'd cope with questions about dog food and cat toys. (Isn't it PAH who let dogs in their shop or is that me having a moment and imagining it?)
** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
**SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
I do it all because I'm scared.
The Following User Says Thank You to elfen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
top_drawer
Old 16-01-2010, 7:15 PM

[QUOTE=ceridwen;28905029]...and if I had to put 3 interesting facts about myself they'd probably never employ me (whadda I mean "probably"...).

(QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by daska View Post
Think carefully before choosing hobbies that are likely to result in them paying sick leave for illness or injury (extreme sports), indicate that you have/want children (going to the zoo), you do in isolation or are generally considered really 'sad' (trainspotting).

Damm Ive put that I have a past life as a stripper, have 15 cats or that I am a dogger ...... No seriously, I am pretty conventional but hopefully not in a weird way more kind of old-fashioned ... I can knit, I dressmake and I enjoy cooking and am researching having a veg garden (mainly to help me with feeding my guinea pigs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfen View Post
The asking about pets is to see if you have experience with animals and different types of animals - so how you'd cope with questions about dog food and cat toys. (Isn't it PAH who let dogs in their shop or is that me having a moment and imagining it?)
I can't curl my tongue .......... I have two guinea pigs tho. LOL I think I could cope better than the current staff with questions - one of their senior staff told me I should have my GP's neutured to stop them fighting totally wrong advice

Jen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to top_drawer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Mrs Boo Boo
Old 16-01-2010, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you get an interview why don't you turn the tables and ask the interviewers the same questions at the end!!!!!! A friend of mine did just this at the 'any questions ' stage and asked hers if they were a biscuit what type would they be and why? Luckily for her she got the job.
Do you do any voluntary work or belong to a club. I've got an NVQ level 1 in carpentry and joinery which is nothing to do with my job! Have you recently studied something or taken up an interest? What about completing something that challenged or scared you at the time but you felt good about afterwards!! Who knows?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Boo Boo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
bestpud
Old 16-01-2010, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfen View Post
Yes they do because my little darling pee'd in there last time I took him!

They were very good about it but I was mortified.

In his defence he is only a pup and was probably a bit overwhelmed with all the lovely smells!

That's a tough application form and I have no idea what I'd put!
The Following User Says Thank You to bestpud For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread