Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • top_drawer
    • By top_drawer 16th Jan 10, 10:47 AM
    • 2,460Posts
    • 3,825Thanks
    top_drawer
    Application - 3 interesting facts about yourself
    • 16th Jan 10, 10:47 AM
    Application - 3 interesting facts about yourself 16th Jan 10 at 10:47 AM
    hi,

I'm applying for a job at Pets at Home and the application form includes questions such as Tell us 3 interesting facts about yourself .... tell us about your pets .... describe yourself as a pet... why are you suitable and what has attracted you to this role....

I can (kind of) see what they want for the last two but the others I'm baffled ...

Thanks

TD
Page 1
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 16th Jan 10, 10:54 AM
    • 7,427 Posts
    • 10,792 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    • 16th Jan 10, 10:54 AM
    • 16th Jan 10, 10:54 AM
    Perhaps its some sort of physometric (?sp) testing?
  • shandypants5
    • 16th Jan 10, 11:02 AM
    • 16th Jan 10, 11:02 AM
    1. my pet is a hooked-nose proboscis monkey

2. if I were to describe myself as a pet I would have to be a giant squid

3.I have long tentacles and a vivid imagination, I am attracted to the role because of the free fish.

Did I pass my physometric test??
    Last edited by shandypants5; 16-01-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    “Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”

• elsietanner71
    • By elsietanner71 16th Jan 10, 11:23 AM
    • 482 Posts
    • 13,098 Thanks
    elsietanner71
    • 16th Jan 10, 11:23 AM
    • 16th Jan 10, 11:23 AM
    The first one sounds like icebreaker type stuff - maybe its to ease you into the interview?

Have you got any party tricks? Can you lick your elbow?
    • top_drawer
    • By top_drawer 16th Jan 10, 12:12 PM
    • 2,460 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    top_drawer
    • 16th Jan 10, 12:12 PM
    • 16th Jan 10, 12:12 PM
    lol no .... I'm trying to think of things which could be beneficial to the job .... I've come up with - I have a qualification in counselling skills ... so far

Describing myself as a dog seems too obvious .... loyal etc I bet everyone says that.

TD
  • jdturk
    • 16th Jan 10, 12:43 PM
    • 16th Jan 10, 12:43 PM
    if i had asked that question I would be more looking to see if people have lives outside of work rather than skills.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Jan 10, 12:45 PM
    • 54,238 Posts
    • 308,704 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 16th Jan 10, 12:45 PM
    • 16th Jan 10, 12:45 PM
    Write in big crayon across it: I WUNT 2 STROK DA RABITZ
  • Zazen999
    • 16th Jan 10, 1:40 PM
    • 16th Jan 10, 1:40 PM
    Write in big crayon across it: I WUNT 2 STROK DA RABITZ
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
  • ceridwen
    • 16th Jan 10, 4:02 PM
    • 16th Jan 10, 4:02 PM
    ...and if I had to put 3 interesting facts about myself they'd probably never employ me (whadda I mean "probably"...).

But - thats been something thats been a bit of a problem for me throughout my worklife....as they undoubtedly want someone more conventional than me. I've long since come to the conclusion that whenever an employer asks for personal information of that description the appropriate translation for their question is "We are looking for someone who HAS interest/hobbies/etc - but they MUST be conventional ones - and be willing to drop them at a moments notice if the job requires it."......
    Last edited by ceridwen; 16-01-2010 at 4:05 PM.
    • daska
    • By daska 16th Jan 10, 5:36 PM
    • 6,013 Posts
    • 11,915 Thanks
    daska
    Think carefully before choosing hobbies that are likely to result in them paying sick leave for illness or injury (extreme sports), indicate that you have/want children (going to the zoo), you do in isolation or are generally considered really 'sad' (trainspotting).

Alternatively, though unlikely, it might be that they've just lost their company football team's goalie and need a replacement that can double up LOL
    • CCFC_80
    • By CCFC_80 16th Jan 10, 5:42 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    CCFC_80
    It annoys me how companies are now so fussy on recruiting and asking this type of question on an application form.They can obviously take advantage of the current economic situation.

A few years ago this company would have literally kidnapped people off the street to come and work for them.
  • elfen
    Can you curl your tongue?
    The asking about pets is to see if you have experience with animals and different types of animals - so how you'd cope with questions about dog food and cat toys. (Isn't it PAH who let dogs in their shop or is that me having a moment and imagining it?)
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
    • top_drawer
    • By top_drawer 16th Jan 10, 7:15 PM
    • 2,460 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    top_drawer
    [QUOTE=ceridwen;28905029]...and if I had to put 3 interesting facts about myself they'd probably never employ me (whadda I mean "probably"...).

(QUOTE]

Think carefully before choosing hobbies that are likely to result in them paying sick leave for illness or injury (extreme sports), indicate that you have/want children (going to the zoo), you do in isolation or are generally considered really 'sad' (trainspotting).

Originally posted by daska
    Damm Ive put that I have a past life as a stripper, have 15 cats or that I am a dogger ...... No seriously, I am pretty conventional but hopefully not in a weird way more kind of old-fashioned ... I can knit, I dressmake and I enjoy cooking and am researching having a veg garden (mainly to help me with feeding my guinea pigs).

The asking about pets is to see if you have experience with animals and different types of animals - so how you'd cope with questions about dog food and cat toys. (Isn't it PAH who let dogs in their shop or is that me having a moment and imagining it?)
    Originally posted by elfen
    I can't curl my tongue .......... I have two guinea pigs tho. LOL I think I could cope better than the current staff with questions - one of their senior staff told me I should have my GP's neutured to stop them fighting totally wrong advice

Jen
    • Mrs Boo Boo
    • By Mrs Boo Boo 16th Jan 10, 7:27 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 1,284 Thanks
    Mrs Boo Boo
    If you get an interview why don't you turn the tables and ask the interviewers the same questions at the end!!!!!! A friend of mine did just this at the 'any questions ' stage and asked hers if they were a biscuit what type would they be and why? Luckily for her she got the job.
    Do you do any voluntary work or belong to a club. I've got an NVQ level 1 in carpentry and joinery which is nothing to do with my job! Have you recently studied something or taken up an interest? What about completing something that challenged or scared you at the time but you felt good about afterwards!! Who knows?
  • bestpud
    Originally posted by elfen
    Yes they do because my little darling pee'd in there last time I took him!

They were very good about it but I was mortified.

In his defence he is only a pup and was probably a bit overwhelmed with all the lovely smells!

That's a tough application form and I have no idea what I'd put!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,394Posts Today

5,687Users online

Martin's Twitter