Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jet
    • By Jet 29th Jun 06, 12:33 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 974Thanks
    Jet
    How long does cooked chicken keep for?
    • 29th Jun 06, 12:33 PM
    How long does cooked chicken keep for? 29th Jun 06 at 12:33 PM
    I roasted a chicken on Monday evening.

I've just used the leftovers to make a chicken pie with frozen pastry.

Do you think this pie will keep in the fridge until Saturday night?

If not, should I freeze it? I presume I will need to cook it / part cook it first as I have used frozen pastry?
Page 1
  • wigginsmum
    • 29th Jun 06, 12:48 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 12:48 PM
    I'd freeze it as it is and cook it thoroughly on Saturday. I wouldn't eat refrigerated cold chicken that had been around for longer than 3 days.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • GardenMillie
    • 29th Jun 06, 7:00 PM
    Chicken
    • 29th Jun 06, 7:00 PM
    Me too, I would definitely freeze it - it's too chancy and you don't want to spoil your weekend feeling rotten.
  • annie-c
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:50 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:50 PM
    I would agree with this 3-day rule, but then again am wondering if this is necessarily true - and what puzzles me is that, at Christmas, people buy Turkeys that are bigger than any family can humanly manage and pride themselves on keeping it going into the New Year!

Does anyone on here keep their poultry in the fridge longer than 3 days???
  • cookiesncream
    • 30th Jun 06, 11:33 AM
    • 30th Jun 06, 11:33 AM
    No, I wouldn't either. The rate at which the bacteria multiplies in poultry is beyond belief! I agree with everyone else and I say freeze it.
    1 John 4: 7 & 8
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 30th Jun 06, 12:32 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 15,424 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    • 30th Jun 06, 12:32 PM
    • 30th Jun 06, 12:32 PM
    I keep cooked chicken for up to 4 days and have never had a problem, however I think the keeping time is also dependant on how fresh the chicken was when you cook it - I have found lately that any chicken I buy from Tescos is rank if I don't cook it on the day I buy it - even if the sell by date is days after. It's not my fridge as everything else is always fine and the temp is okay.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • mum2many
    • 30th Jun 06, 2:51 PM
    • 30th Jun 06, 2:51 PM
    I have found lately that any chicken I buy from Tescos is rank if I don't cook it on the day I buy it - even if the sell by date is days after. It's not my fridge as everything else is always fine and the temp is okay.
    by recovering spendaholic
    snap, but with a pork joint and salmon fillets
    em x
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Suzy_Babe
    • 1st Jul 06, 8:48 AM
    • 1st Jul 06, 8:48 AM
    I have found lately that any chicken I buy from Tescos is rank if I don't cook it on the day I buy it - even if the sell by date is days after. It's not my fridge as everything else is always fine and the temp is okay.
    by recovering spendaholic
    I have this problem with chicken from my local Co-op. I'm sure they think I'm 'trying it on' (probably the only one to complain!).
    If it's cheap, I'm cheerful!
  • Trow
    • 1st Jul 06, 9:57 AM
    • 1st Jul 06, 9:57 AM
    I had this with salmon from Safeway - when I complained the custimner service woman said 'but everyone knows you should cook fish the day you buy it'.

Riiight - so buying it on Friday at 9pm, I should have cooked it that night instead of Saturday (by which time it was RANK) - when the bb date was Sunday....

I have since found a FAB local fishmongers, where the fish is so fresh you could probably get away with keeping it for a week - there is no smell at all when you buy it.
    • toria27
    • By toria27 12th Nov 06, 10:41 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    toria27
    How long does chicken keep?
    Morning everyone I have a problem I hope you can all help with. I have recently stopped buying chicken breasts on the recommendation of many of you and used a whole chicken last week to make several meals and me and OH enjoyed the meat loads more than using just breast!!

We were having roast chicken for dinner today, which I was then going to make into curry and another dish (don't know what yet?? dont like chicken soup any other ideas) But we now have the chance to go out for lunch.

I have had to cook the chicken anyway as it has been defrosted. My question is how many days can I keep the cooked chicken for and can I freeze it by itself will it then taste ok when I defrost ot for my curry etc. The curry sauce is a jar I got cheap so not much point in making and freezing that is there?

Hope someone can answer this asap as chicken is nearnly cooked now and I don't know what to do with it for the best.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone is having a great weekend
  • honey28
    You can carve the chicken once its cooked and divide it up and freeze in indiviaul portions. Its ok to refreeze it because you have cooked it (AFAIK)
  • Queenie
    It will keep, wrapped, in the fridge for about 3 days (I never keep it longer than that).

It's perfectly ok to freeze it once you have cooked it, even though it was frozen in the raw. The trick is, to cool it and freeze it as quickly as possible to reduce the potential of bacteria multiplying.

Cut your chicken into chunks for your curry but do remember, chicken has a tendency to 'flake' when it is reheated, so reheat the chunks in your curry sauce very *slowly* to ensure it's heated right through and try to avoid stirring it more than you have to because that will definately break those chunks up and you'll get the flaked chicken in your curry.

Good luck
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • toria27
    • By toria27 13th Nov 06, 9:04 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    toria27
    Thanks both of you im going to keep most of it in the fridge, it turned out I had enough for 4 meals for 2 adults and a toddler! excellent.
    Am just going to freeze 2 portions and use the rest today and tommorow.
    Queenie last time we made the curry the chicken flaked but we actually preferred it like that, but thanks for the tip.
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 24th Jan 07, 9:06 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Question About Chicken, how long will it keep?
    Sorry everyone but I've got a probably stupid question to ask.

I bought a large (enormous) chicken from the butcher on saturday and we had roast chicken on sunday, chicken sandwiches on monday, chicken curry on tuesday and I've still got loads of chicken left.

My plan is chicken sandwiches for lunch tomorrow and chicken pie for tea, chicken soup made with the carcass to freeze (only so much chicken you can eat in one week)

The chicken has been in the fridge all the time and looks, smells and tastes fine, will it be okay to make chicken sandwiches and pie with tomorrow or should I get all the meat off tonight (please say I don't have to do this) and freeze the meat to use later.

Many thanks, trying to be old style but a lot to learn!

By the way five of us in the family and chicken cost £10!
  • Jay-Jay
    I would eat it tomorrow providing that your fridge is cold and it's been in there since sunday.

Tomorrow is the latest day I would risk it and if it was for freezing I would take that meat off and freeze it the day or day after it was cooked.

You've done so well to get so much out of it... are you sure it was a chicken and not an ostrich?
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Jay-Jay
    BTW, if you have some panchetta, ham or bacon - fry it off and stick that in your pie with some mushrooms
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 24th Jan 07, 9:14 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    bobsa1
    OOh jay jay that sounds nice, will do!
  • MATH
    I have a rule of only keeping cooked dishes and left overs for three days. So if it were my chicken I would treat my cats to a chicken-licken supper tonight. I can't remember where I heard the three day rule but have used it for over 20 years
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • gt568
    • By gt568 24th Jan 07, 9:49 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    gt568
    Personal preference of course but I often finish my roast chicken lunchtime on saturday from the preceding sunday.
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 24th Jan 07, 11:30 PM
    • 7,174 Posts
    • 25,377 Thanks
    Nicki
    The New England Cookery book says fresh chicken cooked keeps for 5 days in the fridge, but I'm not sure I would keep it that long. We've just used the last of our roast chicken from Sunday in a pilaf tonight and that's probably as long as I would risk it (though I did make and freeze soup from the carcas earlier in the week)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

444Posts Today

1,891Users online

Martin's Twitter