Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > howdens "lamona" appliances question - ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
howdens "lamona" appliances question - any good?
Views: 136,282
# 1
allan673
Old 10-01-2010, 4:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default howdens "lamona" appliances question - any good?

hi
were looking at howdens kitchens.
we notice that the vast majority of the appliances are lamona brand??

what are lamona like please? we obviously want half descent quality appliances, i.e a reliable washing machine and cooker.
are they reliable, spares easy to get hold of etc.

thanks !!!!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
MsAnderson
Old 10-01-2010, 6:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I think these are rebranded "Diplomat" items. Diplomat is/was the Howdens instore brand, also supplied by MFI in days gone by.

Diplomat was not good - but you get what you pay for.
The Following User Says Thank You to MsAnderson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
MsAnderson
Old 10-01-2010, 6:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums
If you check any of the forums for Diplomat, they will back up my quality warning!
The Following User Says Thank You to MsAnderson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
CKdesigner
Old 10-01-2010, 6:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi

Lamona are Howden's own brand of appliances. They will tell you they are as good as Neff Bosch Siemens. They are wrong. Their appliances are pretty much like their kitchens, hyped up by themselves but really they are just cheap builders products.

CK
The Following User Says Thank You to CKdesigner For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Doozergirl
Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The appliances are not good as parts are difficult to obtain for them when they break down.

I wouldn't call Howdens a cheap builders product unless you will lump all the high street ranges into the same category with them. Accepted that the unit range can be limiting but when compared to any of the high street offerings in terms of quality they stand up well to them. If they are builders products then so are all of the high street brands.

They're not built to last forever but they won't fall apart quickly, they are better than any other off the shelf kitchen product that I've come across and I'd include Ikea in that - I think the Ikea quality is not good. The fittings are flimsy, the doors thin and on the gloss range particularly, doors aren't properly wrapped so you get corners that can be picked at - they look like they would lift easily.

No doubt they aren't the best kitchen in the world either but I can pick up a Howdens kitchen for half the price of Magnet, B&Q and indeed MFI who used to sell the same product as their more expensive Schreiber range. So they measure up very well against the high street.

So not to defend them as the world's best kitchen, but no worse and better than some. In terms of value for money, they tick that box massively for me and they provide a quality that the majority of people are happy with when buying a house.
Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
# 6
Avee
Old 16-11-2010, 4:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy My view, Lamon poor quality/bad buy

I have a Lamona HJA7010 microwave with grill just 13 months old and has failed. Howdens have said "guarantee is 12 months and callout fee to check the unit is £90.00". Apparently as trade suppliers they can get around the sale of goods act and suggested I sue the installer. I tried phoning the importers, Premium Appliance Brands Ltd, but the phone just rang and rang which doesn't say much for them. I read on another site that the product is Chinese so not sure if the comment that they are made by Smeg is correct. My opinion is that they are poor quality supplied by an equally poor supplier.
# 7
NicolaL
Old 16-11-2010, 5:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Why on earth buy a mystery brand from Howden's when there are so many bargains from better quality manufacturers available on line?
The Following User Says Thank You to NicolaL For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
adamg
Old 16-11-2010, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avee View Post
I have a Lamona HJA7010 microwave with grill just 13 months old and has failed. Howdens have said "guarantee is 12 months and callout fee to check the unit is £90.00". Apparently as trade suppliers they can get around the sale of goods act and suggested I sue the installer. I tried phoning the importers, Premium Appliance Brands Ltd, but the phone just rang and rang which doesn't say much for them. I read on another site that the product is Chinese so not sure if the comment that they are made by Smeg is correct. My opinion is that they are poor quality supplied by an equally poor supplier.
Made by Beko
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
# 9
RX-78
Old 16-11-2010, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

To be honest Howden's seller I've been dealing with himself admitted I can get better value for money where the appliances are concerned.

You'd be far better off looking on price comparison site and Which! (you can join for £1 for a month initially) to look for a decent appliance.
# 10
noahdeblee
Old 09-12-2010, 2:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have a Lamona Washing Machine which I bought with my kitchen and it first broke down after 10 months. Their aftercare people came out and replaced the dial. It has now broken down completely after having it 13 months so went back to their aftercare service again and they want £94.50 plus parts to repair. I have lost all faith in this machine so will be getting rid as to repair will cost upwards of £250 anyway!

Personally wouldnt touch with a barge pole now!
The Following User Says Thank You to noahdeblee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
holiday101
Old 13-12-2010, 10:13 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Lamona oven

hi,
we got this oven about 12 months ago and we are already having various problems with it, the installers told us that is out of warranty so we are left to pick up the pieces, the oven keep turnig itself off in the middle of cooking, which leaves cooking half done and sometimes completely ruined, there is no after care service as written on thier website and if there is one at what cost?
does anyone out there know what i should do or what step i should take to solving this problem? as i cannot afford a new oven 12 months down the line, thanks

Last edited by holiday101; 13-12-2010 at 10:17 AM.
# 12
krulis
Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Lamona Frameless Ceramic Hob/Cooktop HJA1703

We have moved in to a newly refurbished property where a Lamona Ceramic Hob has been newly installed. After the first use you could see stains on the hob where water drops touched the ceramic surface which could not be washed away.

I have to say that we were very careful when using it. It has been three weeks since we have been using the hob and despite our best efforts to keep it tidy the hob looks as if it has been used for a year.

If I had to rate the hob I would give it 2 out of 10. It is not 1 out of 10 just because you actually can prepare a meal on it. I do not expect it to last long though.
# 13
MAD1
Old 14-11-2011, 5:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Lamonas stuff

Made by Beko was what I heard too. As background we usually buy Bosch. We had Lamona products installed as they are cheap and I thought what the heck, replace them with higher spec goods when I feel like it or if they break down. We have had Beko fridges and freezers for many years without any problems. They are built relatively simply but then the technology is not that demanding. That said they were among the only cooling appliances to have fans in to circulate the air for example - check your fridge or freezer. The oven and hob are fairly simple and don't exude quality, but you get what you pay for and we have not had any problems at all to date. The dishwasher we have is one of the best we have ever had in terms of cleaning ability for sure (comparing to AEG and Bosch) and is also problem free.

Basically we found the price with the fitter discount and goods thrown in to be the best overall in terms of quality versus cost. Ikea was the only cheaper realistically, but you can tell the difference, they are not as robust or well built. Cheap for a reason. Shops such as Wickes etc were not much cheaper but had poor design and quality (one shop design we were given was non-functional and dangerous). Moben etc gave a lot less than Howdens for the money but no doubt would have looked very nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAD1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
grizzly1911
Old 14-11-2011, 6:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday101 View Post
hi,
we got this oven about 12 months ago and we are already having various problems with it, the installers told us that is out of warranty so we are left to pick up the pieces, the oven keep turnig itself off in the middle of cooking, which leaves cooking half done and sometimes completely ruined, there is no after care service as written on thier website and if there is one at what cost?
does anyone out there know what i should do or what step i should take to solving this problem? as i cannot afford a new oven 12 months down the line, thanks

I would have thought your first port of call should be the fitter/installer if it was brought as part of a package.

he may also have more sway with Howdens if he uses them a lot.
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
# 15
grizzly1911
Old 14-11-2011, 6:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Have fitted BEKO under oven for a relative and IMO it is a nice product. Made in Turkey.

I have just replaced a Hotpoint, as a stopgap, and that was from the EU, but all the QC checks appeared to be in "slovak". I would the rate the BEKO higher.

I have no confidence in any Brand these days they are often built to a price, many in the same factory, and badged up with a price to fit (within a given specification level)
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham

Last edited by grizzly1911; 14-11-2011 at 6:34 PM.
# 16
Corn_Hulio
Old 18-01-2012, 5:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Lamona Ovens.

These are Howdens appliances. You can get spares from GDHA (Glenn Dimplax) on 0845 0060006.

They are a mix of Candy and Beko ovens, branded as Lamona.

If you buy the spares from GDHA you WILL pay a fortune for them, for example the Thermostat on a HJA3220 costs including postage £113.29p if you get the Candy part it costs £45.00p

The reason is they dont want them repaired, they want you to go and buy a nice new shiny one.

They come with a 2yr Guarantee.

Footnote :

Remember all makes of machines are ENVIROMENTALLY friendly and they cost less in electricity consumption !

Really, modern appliances are designed for no-more than 5yrs. and when you bin them they are crushed and sent to CHINA so they can make you a tin of baked beans or your new car. So they have a small carbon footprint aswell.

The enviromental side is rubbish, it takes energy to make and destroy the machine, and the heating elements and insulation is no different than they were 30yrs ago. The energy reduction is done by having your fan motor rpm`s slower and the thermostat is less precise this means the machine will fail faster therefore perpetuating the whole grand scheme.

Any savings you make from having a new shiny appliance is gobbled-up by the fact you have to buy a new one.

I am a domestic appliance engineer, so i know what i`m talking about.
# 17
debbyjg
Old 26-01-2012, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Did post on a other thread but had the gas double oven repaired over and over then set fire. Replacement same again, friend had washer drier same again. Diplomat now lamona appliances are Howdens badged makes remember your builder is the customer and as trade you have no support. Howdens customer services don't care less.
# 18
glynnieB
Old 24-03-2012, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry lamona

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan673 View Post
hi
were looking at howdens kitchens.
we notice that the vast majority of the appliances are lamona brand??

what are lamona like please? we obviously want half descent quality appliances, i.e a reliable washing machine and cooker.
are they reliable, spares easy to get hold of etc.

thanks !!!!
Hi we bought the full range of lamona for our new kitchen. The Freezer is so noisey you cant't here the TV in the lounge. they have been out to it three times now to correct it, but to no avail! The dishwasher was constantly leaking and warping the doors they have been out to that three times as well before Howdens got involved and had a new one delivered which does work. the cooker well bits keep falling of that and the wok ring will not stay on unless you stand holding the switch in all the time then the flame is some twelve inches high, release the switch and wait for the gas to run out. The washer, so far so good!
# 19
Cooker expert
Old 27-03-2012, 12:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The appliances are made by a variety of manufacturers, there are no set manufacturers for Lamona, generally from what I have seen they are awful, steer clear.
# 20
alanofdownend
Old 01-05-2012, 12:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Corn Hulio has summed it all up. In addition
Our experience with Lamona:
2 year old Howdens Kitchen (incidentally-- very robust and well made, and recommended by my trusted builder who has proved correct):
5 burner gashob had to be replaced after a month as difficult stainless steel to clean ( a Friday product?)-- replacement's surface finish much much better.
Dishwasher: control panel replaced twice in short intervals as programme indicator light very dim indeed; engineer admitted that all are the same tho the last one is a bit brighter!.
! No probs (so far) with undercounter fridge.

You should get what you pay for as we included a Bosch double oven (AOK so far) in the package. But----- beware of super dooper German made(?) AEG (Electrolux) freezers. Absolute rubbish- replaced fan unit for this £800 product after 18 months !!! (Fortunately insurance covered)