Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Has anyone got experience with chimney balloons? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Has anyone got experience with chimney balloons?
Closed Thread
Views: 8,729
# 1
chloecc
Old 08-01-2010, 3:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question Has anyone got experience with chimney balloons?

I currently prevent the draught using a 99p shop bargainous Barbie beach ball.....but......its giving up the ghost and falls out almost daily even with continual pumping.

Has anyone used these chimney balloons i've seen on the net - do they work? and are they worth the GBP 20 odd they cost or should i just get another beach ball and keep making do (false economy??) :confused:

Also having measured my chimney its 11 x 10 inches - slightly odd than the general balloon size - should i go bigger or get a custom made one??

thanks for your help in advance.....
"He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." Benjamin Franklin
# 2
cally1
Old 08-01-2010, 3:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just lightly scrunch up some old newspaper. Works for us
The Following User Says Thank You to cally1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
djheath
Old 08-01-2010, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I take it you are doing it to stop the draught? Just shove a load of newspaper up there. Or block it up with plaster board. You want a little bit of air flow anyway to keep the chimney damp free.
The Following User Says Thank You to djheath For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
chloecc
Old 08-01-2010, 3:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

newspaper would just fall down again, its to stop the draught, retain the heat of the room and stop bird poop coming into my lounge....(nice!)
"He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." Benjamin Franklin
# 5
adaze
Old 08-01-2010, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I guess a chimney balloon is probably a better shape, a round ball in a quare or rectangular flue isn't going to fill the corners. Are chimney balloons shaped?
The Following User Says Thank You to adaze For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Tight_but_still_skint
Old 08-01-2010, 11:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Buy a wine box, drink the wine then take out the silver bag deflate, then put it up the chimney and inflate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tight_but_still_skint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
purpletopaz
Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We have had newspaper up the chimney in our rented home and its never fallen out! We scrunshed it all up and wrapped in sellotape and squished it about to fit! It solved the problem and its been in there over 2 years now.
C.D.E.G.H.I.J.M.N.O.P.Q.U.W.X.Y.Z
Lucky Wish Mouse Book, St helier T Shirt, Short Blu ray, Flowers x 2, 500 Argos breadmaker, audiobook koala,Lego,razor
The Following User Says Thank You to purpletopaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
sharkie
Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'd use a Barbie beach ball, or similar. Flatten it by removing as much air as possible then fill it with expanding foam.

I am no expert and is probably wrong, but that is what I'd do. However the silver wine bag method sounds a lot more enjoyable, but perhaps a bit too thin and may not handle the pressure of the expanding foam as well????
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
janjul
Old 09-01-2010, 2:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Yahoo to janjul

We put some loft insulation up there and it seems to work a treat. Take it out in Summer to air chimney and get a bit of cooler air in the room if your lucky. Works for us but again don't know if this is wrong but we don't have any damp issues and live in a 104 year old Victorian semi.
The Following User Says Thank You to janjul For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
rover_blue
Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I second the loft insulation idea, did that on both my chimenys and it works a treat
The Following User Says Thank You to rover_blue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
jstallan
Old 10-01-2010, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Pillow in a dusting bin bag works for us. I looked long and hard at the chimney ballon options and ended up going for the bag and pillow option. Very pleased with the MSE option!
The Following User Says Thank You to jstallan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
knightrider
Old 25-01-2010, 2:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Chimney Balloon

I have seen a lot of the comments on DIY options for Chimney Balloons and tbh am still glad a bought one for my 30's semi. Easy to fit, fits snugly and retains it's pressure. Some of the ideas are a bit ropey, some a bit messy and some may work to some degree.

I don't know how much difference chimnbey balloon makes energy wise but it makes a vast difference to comfort. I often like sitting on the floor and prior to fitting the balloon, in winter this just wasn't possible as you could always feel this small breeze at floor level.

Going slightly off subject here but if you have single glazed windows make sure you get the draught proofing done as well. Window film glazing also works a treat, stops condensation and mould from forming.

Just remember to remove before lighting a fire (and don't fill with hydrogen like the early Zeppelins). I find leaving the chord hanging works.

Last edited by knightrider; 25-01-2010 at 2:07 PM. Reason: missed a line
The Following User Says Thank You to knightrider For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread