Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > ASDA Petrol - Debit card payment not yet taken (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
ASDA Petrol - Debit card payment not yet taken
Closed Thread
Views: 3,178
# 1
ShaneUK
Old 07-01-2010, 4:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default ASDA Petrol - Debit card payment not yet taken

Hi All

I paid for some fuel around 20th December, but it still hasn't been taken. It isn't even showing within the "pending transactions" amount.

Do shops have a maximum time in which they are permitted to collect?

I am not saying that I don't want to pay it - just would like it collected if they are going to collect it!!

Thanks

Shane
# 2
Viper_7
Old 07-01-2010, 4:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What debit card is it? Maestro or VISA?

However yes, the acquirer has up to 30 days to present the transaction, however if after 30 days, if the account is still in good standing then it will still be honored.
So...if you are not debited after 30 days, then if you transfer the money to a new account and close the old one, then you won't have to pay.
# 3
gaz_jones
Old 07-01-2010, 5:00 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It was known in my area that one of the pumps in the local Asda was not taking payment from one certain pump. It only lasted a couple of days, but it was hilarious to see all these empty pumps, and then loads of people qeueing up for one pump.

Asda got it sorted pretty damn quick though!
# 4
rev_henry
Old 07-01-2010, 5:00 PM

Although statute of limitations is 6 YEARS! So although they may not be able to present the card transaction, they could still technically chase you for the money by other means.
# 5
Viper_7
Old 07-01-2010, 5:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_henry View Post
Although statute of limitations is 6 YEARS! So although they may not be able to present the card transaction, they could still technically chase you for the money by other means.
No, under the POS they have to present within 30 day, tough if they don't.

They would have a hard time chasing it by other means when they don't follow the MCE/VISA POS rules in the first place.
The cardholder has paid, the Acquirer has failed to claim the monies back from the issuer, so the issuer won't debit the account.
The Following User Says Thank You to Viper_7 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
rev_henry
Old 07-01-2010, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post

They would have a hard time chasing it by other means when they don't follow the MCE/VISA POS rules in the first place.
The cardholder has paid, the Acquirer has failed to claim the monies back from the issuer, so the issuer won't debit the account.
Oh I didn't know that, thanks.
# 7
flyingscotno1
Old 07-01-2010, 5:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_jones View Post
It was known in my area that one of the pumps in the local Asda was not taking payment from one certain pump. It only lasted a couple of days, but it was hilarious to see all these empty pumps, and then loads of people qeueing up for one pump.

Asda got it sorted pretty damn quick though!
I'm amazed a staff member didn't twig it quick sharp and put the out of order on the pumps!
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingscotno1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Zanzibar
Old 07-01-2010, 6:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Where is that stiplulated?

I've spoken a few times to credit card processing for various providers and say they keep accounts open for late payment processing for literally years - even after a card is cancelled.
# 9
Viper_7
Old 07-01-2010, 6:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes, if the card is cancelled then yes the acquirer could still get the money from the issuer, if the issuer is able to obtain it from the original card holder.

If the cardholders account after 30 days is closed and they have moved on etc they may not be able to obtain it, but sure they keep hold of the data. I don't have the specs to hand, but it's in there.
In most cases though after 30 days, the Acquirers still get their cash but it's not guarenteed
# 10
gaz_jones
Old 08-01-2010, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotno1 View Post
I'm amazed a staff member didn't twig it quick sharp and put the out of order on the pumps!
They are unmaned pumps. Card payment only. It must have been going on for quite a while though for people to finally realise it wasn't taking payment.
# 11
Kazipoo
Old 08-01-2010, 9:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had a similar issue last year, although not with petrol, and when I phoned the bank to ask, they said I have to allow 6 months!!!
# 12
ShaneUK
Old 08-01-2010, 2:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post
What debit card is it? Maestro or VISA?

However yes, the acquirer has up to 30 days to present the transaction, however if after 30 days, if the account is still in good standing then it will still be honored.
So...if you are not debited after 30 days, then if you transfer the money to a new account and close the old one, then you won't have to pay.
It's a VISA card.

Thank you all for your input!

I did ask in the bank today, as I was in there anyway, and all they could say is that they *think* that the retailer has 14 days to collect, but it might be 21 (but again, they were unsure!)

The advise was to keep quiet - very "honest" that isn't it. I just don't like owing money like this, and knowing it could just be taken at any point.

Last edited by ShaneUK; 08-01-2010 at 2:12 PM.
# 13
rictus123
Old 08-01-2010, 2:12 PM

Id just keep shh and hope noone notices lol. The amount they make at a petrol station they should have a lottery, every 100th customer fills up free. Id sit there counting though lol
Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rictus123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Viper_7
Old 17-01-2010, 8:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's 30 days, the but the acquirer will be charged more for taking longer than 3 days to claim.
(only a few more pence)

If after 30 days....the acquirer can still obtain the monies, but it's a bit of a chase!

So...do let us know what happens!
# 15
Lum
Old 17-01-2010, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_jones View Post
They are unmaned pumps. Card payment only. It must have been going on for quite a while though for people to finally realise it wasn't taking payment.
Even if they wern't. Chances are the pump attendant works £5.25 part time with no pension or sick pay, do you honestly think they would give a damn so long as the pump appears to be working?

If they did know then chances are the only thing they'd do about it is to fill up their own car on that same pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread