Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dullville
    • By Dullville 6th Jan 10, 6:26 PM
    • 67Posts
    • 73Thanks
    Dullville
    Cheaper gas/electric for the disabled.
    • 6th Jan 10, 6:26 PM
    Cheaper gas/electric for the disabled. 6th Jan 10 at 6:26 PM
    Following on from a post earlier about cheaper water for disabled,is there any help for disabled people to get cheaper gas or electric?
    Thanks.
Page 1
  • dmg24
    • 6th Jan 10, 6:41 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 6:41 PM
    A quick search would answer this question!
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 6th Jan 10, 7:25 PM
    • 21,641 Posts
    • 29,331 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    • 6th Jan 10, 7:25 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 7:25 PM
    Talk to your supplier(s)?
    • jazabelle
    • By jazabelle 6th Jan 10, 7:33 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 4,676 Thanks
    jazabelle
    • 6th Jan 10, 7:33 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 7:33 PM
    There was a thread about this recently with some useful tips.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • Homemade
    • 6th Jan 10, 7:34 PM
    • 6th Jan 10, 7:34 PM
    Following on from a post earlier about cheaper water for disabled,is there any help for disabled people to get cheaper gas or electric?
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by Dullville
    Short answer, No.
  • geoff11
    • 7th Jan 10, 11:30 AM
    • 7th Jan 10, 11:30 AM
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by Dullville
    yes, thats if your wth my supplier british gas, they do a tarrif called essential user, which is for disabled or vulnerable people, if your with them call them.
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 7th Jan 10, 5:42 PM
    • 18,345 Posts
    • 24,709 Thanks
    woodbine
    • 7th Jan 10, 5:42 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 5:42 PM
    might be worth looking at what your existing supplier offers in general,i`m with npower and after looking online changed to an internet tarrfiff the gas and electric were both about 50% cheaper and no hassle changing supplier
  • geoff11
    • 7th Jan 10, 6:07 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 6:07 PM
    correct, if you get paperless billing i.e get it via the net you do get it cheaper, by what i guess depends on the supplier.
  • DX2
    • 7th Jan 10, 10:12 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 10:12 PM
    Short answer, No.
    Originally posted by Homemade
    Short answer yes British gas
  • Homemade
    Short answer yes British gas
    Originally posted by DX2
    That would be the long answer.
    Long answer, yes, if you are already a BG customer.
    Also, if you want to go onto a prepayment meter from paying by DD, the tarrif is more money initially, so when you get discounted, you will pay the same as you did when you were on DD anyway.
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 8th Jan 10, 10:29 AM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 6,618 Thanks
    Mupette
    There was a thread months ago about signing up with a company, telling them which electric / gas who you are with and they have you stated as a vulnerable customer, and one company Scottish power claim they will pay out their own version of winter fuel payments to their vulnerable (i was told this as i am with them)

http://www.homeheathelpline.org.uk/ this could be a start to it...

http://www.homeheathelpline.org.uk/how-can-we-help

I did try and find this on our forums a few days ago and couldn't find it.

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• qwertyuiop12345
    yes, thats if your wth my supplier british gas, they do a tarrif called essential user, which is for disabled or vulnerable people, if your with them call them.
    Originally posted by geoff11
    I was moved on to this and it turned out to be exactly the same as the online dual fuel direct debit tariff that I was already on. I queried this and was told that basically they just make sure essentials users are on their cheapest available tariff, but as good 'money saving experts' this should already apply regardless of disability. They did also send me some free junk (a monitoring thing and a cut out extension cord) but I think there is another thread about this.

If you are disabled (or old, I think?) and live alone I believe British Gas will also provide a free annual boiler check.
    Last edited by qwertyuiop12345; 08-01-2010 at 12:49 PM.
  • zee
    I am on hydro for gas / elect ,big discount for disability / low income ,pay by normal a/c and have discount on cheapest possible rate , they found that they had made a mistake in gas bill last winter and told me not to pay gas bill till they sorted it out ,gave me supervisors name to call if problem...ended up with their sorry ,due gas bill paid from overcharge and 68 credit for next ,its great to be at recieving end of good service ,think they are e-on in england/..
    • alanrp123
    • By alanrp123 10th Jan 10, 9:00 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    alanrp123
    Discounts on gas and electriciy
    EDF give discounts on both gas and electricity for pensioners.
  • Mr-Grumpy
    EDF give discounts on both gas and electricity for pensioners.
    Originally posted by alanrp123
    only thing I would say with EDF if your using key meters make sure you have a shop that charges there key, We have had lots of problems getting our EDF key charged...

Just went back to British Gas aseveryone of our local shops charges there keys + they are sending us a Box where we can charge our keys up from home... Will definately come in handy in this bad weather
  • Paparika
    only thing I would say with EDF if your using key meters make sure you have a shop that charges there key, We have had lots of problems getting our EDF key charged...

Just went back to British Gas aseveryone of our local shops charges there keys + they are sending us a Box where we can charge our keys up from home... Will definately come in handy in this bad weather
    Originally posted by Mr-Grumpy

ohh tell me more
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?

If my spelling is bad, it means I am having a fibro fog day, and not something you should be bullying me about.
  • Mr-Grumpy
    ohh tell me more
    Originally posted by Paparika
    it wont let me post links so try googling british gas Home Energy Top Up service

you get a box that plugs into your PC and then you can use your bank account to charge your key from your PC... My dad has just got his and said it was a god send over this cold spell, he hasnt had to go out once...
  • FabSascha
    Wow that's fantastic! I hope my supplier considers doing the same thing, otherwise I'm thinking I might join British Gas (assuming it's financially viable) as I couldn't get out during the cold weather and ended up with 4p left in my emergency electric before I got some help to top up, so that would be a fantastic option.
    Never argue with an idiot; they'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    • Tally-Ho
    • By Tally-Ho 16th Jan 10, 9:47 AM
    • 363 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    Tally-Ho
    N-Power have a social tariff called 'Spreading Warmth' but it is not always the cheapest apparantly and you now need to be referred by such as the CAB or another organisation in order to benefit from it. You must also have a gross income of under 13,500 per annum and have someone over 60 or someone chronically sick or disabled or a child under 16 living at the property concerned.

Details here: http://www.npower.com/Spreading_Warmth/Content/Homepage/index.htm

Tally
  • Paparika
    it wont let me post links so try googling british gas Home Energy Top Up service

you get a box that plugs into your PC and then you can use your bank account to charge your key from your PC... My dad has just got his and said it was a god send over this cold spell, he hasnt had to go out once...
    Originally posted by Mr-Grumpy
    This does sound so good, i have the the sinario your about to run out, no cash on you, but you have money in you bank account, housebound and you need to top up.... i'm with scottish power and i think it's time to change.... how much was it to have this particular service?
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?

If my spelling is bad, it means I am having a fibro fog day, and not something you should be bullying me about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

966Posts Today

5,845Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin