Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > Cheaper gas/electric for the disabled. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cheaper gas/electric for the disabled.
Closed Thread
Views: 10,757
# 1
Dullville
Old 06-01-2010, 6:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cheaper gas/electric for the disabled.

Following on from a post earlier about cheaper water for disabled,is there any help for disabled people to get cheaper gas or electric?
Thanks.
# 2
dmg24
Old 06-01-2010, 6:41 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

A quick search would answer this question!
# 3
Indie Kid
Old 06-01-2010, 7:25 PM

Talk to your supplier(s)?
# 4
jazabelle
Old 06-01-2010, 7:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There was a thread about this recently with some useful tips.
"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jazabelle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Homemade
Old 06-01-2010, 7:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullville View Post
Following on from a post earlier about cheaper water for disabled,is there any help for disabled people to get cheaper gas or electric?
Thanks.
Short answer, No.
# 6
geoff11
Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullville View Post
Thanks.
yes, thats if your wth my supplier british gas, they do a tarrif called essential user, which is for disabled or vulnerable people, if your with them call them.
The Following User Says Thank You to geoff11 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
woodbine
Old 07-01-2010, 5:42 PM

might be worth looking at what your existing supplier offers in general,i`m with npower and after looking online changed to an internet tarrfiff the gas and electric were both about 50% cheaper and no hassle changing supplier
~~~JOHN~~~

# 8
geoff11
Old 07-01-2010, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

correct, if you get paperless billing i.e get it via the net you do get it cheaper, by what i guess depends on the supplier.
# 9
DX2
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade View Post
Short answer, No.
Short answer yes British gas
# 10
Homemade
Old 08-01-2010, 6:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX2 View Post
Short answer yes British gas
That would be the long answer.
Long answer, yes, if you are already a BG customer.
Also, if you want to go onto a prepayment meter from paying by DD, the tarrif is more money initially, so when you get discounted, you will pay the same as you did when you were on DD anyway.
# 11
Mupette
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 AM

There was a thread months ago about signing up with a company, telling them which electric / gas who you are with and they have you stated as a vulnerable customer, and one company Scottish power claim they will pay out their own version of winter fuel payments to their vulnerable (i was told this as i am with them)

http://www.homeheathelpline.org.uk/ this could be a start to it...

http://www.homeheathelpline.org.uk/how-can-we-help

I did try and find this on our forums a few days ago and couldn't find it.

Mrs Mupette

B190 Pass 08/06/12

14 in 2014 challenge completed 2/14
The Following User Says Thank You to Mupette For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
qwertyuiop12345
Old 08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff11 View Post
yes, thats if your wth my supplier british gas, they do a tarrif called essential user, which is for disabled or vulnerable people, if your with them call them.
I was moved on to this and it turned out to be exactly the same as the online dual fuel direct debit tariff that I was already on. I queried this and was told that basically they just make sure essentials users are on their cheapest available tariff, but as good 'money saving experts' this should already apply regardless of disability. They did also send me some free junk (a monitoring thing and a cut out extension cord) but I think there is another thread about this.

If you are disabled (or old, I think?) and live alone I believe British Gas will also provide a free annual boiler check.

Last edited by qwertyuiop12345; 08-01-2010 at 12:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to qwertyuiop12345 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
zee
Old 09-01-2010, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am on hydro for gas / elect ,big discount for disability / low income ,pay by normal a/c and have discount on cheapest possible rate , they found that they had made a mistake in gas bill last winter and told me not to pay gas bill till they sorted it out ,gave me supervisors name to call if problem...ended up with their sorry ,due gas bill paid from overcharge and 68 credit for next ,its great to be at recieving end of good service ,think they are e-on in england/..
# 14
alanrp123
Old 10-01-2010, 9:00 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Discounts on gas and electriciy

EDF give discounts on both gas and electricity for pensioners.
# 15
Mr-Grumpy
Old 10-01-2010, 9:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrp123 View Post
EDF give discounts on both gas and electricity for pensioners.
only thing I would say with EDF if your using key meters make sure you have a shop that charges there key, We have had lots of problems getting our EDF key charged...

Just went back to British Gas aseveryone of our local shops charges there keys + they are sending us a Box where we can charge our keys up from home... Will definately come in handy in this bad weather
# 16
Paparika
Old 10-01-2010, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Grumpy View Post
only thing I would say with EDF if your using key meters make sure you have a shop that charges there key, We have had lots of problems getting our EDF key charged...

Just went back to British Gas aseveryone of our local shops charges there keys + they are sending us a Box where we can charge our keys up from home... Will definately come in handy in this bad weather

ohh tell me more
Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?

If my spelling is bad, it means I am having a fibro fog day, and not something you should be bullying me about.
# 17
Mr-Grumpy
Old 12-01-2010, 9:56 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparika View Post
ohh tell me more
it wont let me post links so try googling british gas Home Energy Top Up service

you get a box that plugs into your PC and then you can use your bank account to charge your key from your PC... My dad has just got his and said it was a god send over this cold spell, he hasnt had to go out once...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr-Grumpy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
FabSascha
Old 15-01-2010, 10:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Wow that's fantastic! I hope my supplier considers doing the same thing, otherwise I'm thinking I might join British Gas (assuming it's financially viable) as I couldn't get out during the cold weather and ended up with 4p left in my emergency electric before I got some help to top up, so that would be a fantastic option.
Never argue with an idiot; they'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
# 19
Tally-Ho
Old 16-01-2010, 9:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

N-Power have a social tariff called 'Spreading Warmth' but it is not always the cheapest apparantly and you now need to be referred by such as the CAB or another organisation in order to benefit from it. You must also have a gross income of under 13,500 per annum and have someone over 60 or someone chronically sick or disabled or a child under 16 living at the property concerned.

Details here: http://www.npower.com/Spreading_Warm...page/index.htm

Tally
# 20
Paparika
Old 17-01-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Grumpy View Post
it wont let me post links so try googling british gas Home Energy Top Up service

you get a box that plugs into your PC and then you can use your bank account to charge your key from your PC... My dad has just got his and said it was a god send over this cold spell, he hasnt had to go out once...
This does sound so good, i have the the sinario your about to run out, no cash on you, but you have money in you bank account, housebound and you need to top up.... i'm with scottish power and i think it's time to change.... how much was it to have this particular service?
Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?

If my spelling is bad, it means I am having a fibro fog day, and not something you should be bullying me about.
Closed Thread