IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Merlin annual pass half price, 75
Closed Thread
Views: 54,770
# 101
Destroyer
Old 06-01-2010, 5:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The only thing i did notice was i couldnt find the gift voucher option on Legolands website ?
I usually like to drink my whisky neat
# 102
tinker15
Old 06-01-2010, 5:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Right lets get up to speed on the debate regarding the 'Gift Vouchers' which i have recieved this morning in the post from Madame Tussauds -

here are the t's & c's printed on the back of each voucher -

This voucher can only be exchanged for one individual Merlin Annual Pass allowing 12 months unlimited entry tothe UK's top attractions.

To redeem this voucher , simply present it at one the one of the following attractions : The Alton Towers Resort, Chessington World of Adventures & Zoo, THORPE PARK, LEGOLAND Windsor, Warwick Castle, The London Eye, Madame Tussauds London.

Terms & Conditions

Voucher is valid for exchange upto 10 months from issues date(stamped below). Please keep this voucher safe, if lost or stolen this voucher cannot be replaced. Merlin Entertainmment Group reserves the right to refuse voucher or confiscate without return. Defaced vouchers will not be accepted. This voucher cannot be exchanged for cash. Personal details and photo will be taken at point of redemption. Full Merlin Annual Pass Terms & conditions apply, see website for details.

For full details about this product, our exciting attractions and exclusive offers register on our website www.annual-pass.com

Merlin Entertainment Group, Silverglade, Leatherhead Road, Surrey, KT9 2QL
LEGO, the LEGO logo and LEGOLAND are trademarks of the LEGO Group.
Hi, Did you order your gift vouchers through Madame Tussauds & if you did, was there a reason why you didn't just buy the passes. I ask this as we are going to London next month and want to use them then & cannot decide whether it is easier to buy the passes or the vouchers as it seems with the passes you have to commit to a venue. Thanks
# 103
cherrykerry
Old 06-01-2010, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

does anyone know what they class as disability for the disabled pass? Me and hubby were looking into getting one of these passes and I noticed they do a disabled pass with free carer pass for 75 at the moment. Hubby has mental health probs and is on DLA and SDA. The only thing we have as proof (other than bank statements) is a letter saying he will get DLA until at least 2013, would this do?
# 104
Destroyer
Old 06-01-2010, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I believe you can use a disabled car pass as enough proof to get it sorted.
# 105
flea72
Old 06-01-2010, 6:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
My gift vouchers are dated 04/01/10 which gives me until October to redeem which i will do & all it does state that the voucher will be exchanged for a Full Annual Pass which tells me you should get all the benefits of the current Merlin Annual Pass (Gold) & not the new terms of the forthcoming Standard & Premium passes.

Please consider what i am saying because you will clearly see on the Merlin website the images shown are of the current Gold coloured annual pass - which means all the new restriction's legally should not apply ??

But please do not quote me on that, but thats the picture i'm beginning to get.

Nevertheless, i am delighted with my bargain purchase & look forward to the summer when i redeem them once my current passes have run out !
i think you will have to adhere to the terms that are valid when you collect your pass, not those that were valid when you bought the gift voucher - as you dont actually confirm your details and acceptance of the T&C until you collect your pass, at which point the full annual pass will no longer exist

however that doesnt matter, as they have the usual get out clause, whereby they can alter the T&C whenever they choose, as long as they give 30days written notice - all holders of the current Annual Pass, should be checking their letter box over the coming weeks

F
# 106
jellyhead
Old 06-01-2010, 6:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I don't know for sure - I haven't been with my sis when she bought hers, but all she ever has with her is an old deaf college ID card. She gets DLA so maybe she showed a letter or bank statement.

If she can get a disabled pass then it sounds likely that you can too, although there is talk of them tightening up all of the rules regarding disability - I think that will apply more to the exit passes though, where people can get straight onto rides by going up the exit.
52% tight
# 107
Destroyer
Old 06-01-2010, 6:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker15 View Post
Hi, Did you order your gift vouchers through Madame Tussauds & if you did, was there a reason why you didn't just buy the passes. I ask this as we are going to London next month and want to use them then & cannot decide whether it is easier to buy the passes or the vouchers as it seems with the passes you have to commit to a venue. Thanks
The main reason i didnt go for the pass now is because i already have passes that dont expire till June, so would be a waste of 6mths entry ?? The vouchers are much more flexible & can be exchanged at many venues without being tied to a venue/date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destroyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 108
Cialilerin
Old 06-01-2010, 8:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you already have a Merlin family pass, you can renew for 75 per person anyway.

We have had these over the last few years. We are in the Midlands and love Warwick Castle and Alton Towers. My kids are 12, 11, 8 and 2. The 8 year old loves Warwick Castle and we regularly go in the Summer to watch the jousting or just for a picnic. They also do some fun CSI weekends throughout the year for kids, where they have to question the prime suspects and find out who dunnit!! Love it!

Of the theme parks, I'd say that Chessington and Legoland are best for younger children. By the way, I've never been questioned over the age of the kids when we go in, although admittedly, one way or another, we have nearly always had a pushchair with us. On occasion we have even walked in with a niece or nephew while my sister has still been queueing for their tickets!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cialilerin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 109
Destroyer
Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cialilerin View Post
If you already have a Merlin family pass, you can renew for 75 per person anyway.
Yes but i dont want them to start from now !!!

Also somebody once told me their is a secret route into one of the Theme Parks via some woods to get in for free !!!!
# 110
Zziggi
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
can you use this quidco AND get them as gift vouchers (so i have got 10 months to wait)? Can anyone tell me how please?
# 111
tinker15
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zziggi View Post
can you use this quidco AND get them as gift vouchers (so i have got 10 months to wait)? Can anyone tell me how please?
It doesn't look like it as Destroyer had a look at the Legoland website, so its probably quidco and passes or vouchers only
# 112
Zziggi
Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker15 View Post
It doesn't look like it as Destroyer had a look at the Legoland website, so its probably quidco and passes or vouchers only
Have sorted it - thanks.

Got through the quidco website to alton towers website, then go to page to buy tickets, look for annual passes, the opt for gift voucher for an annual pass. Bingo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zziggi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 113
tinker15
Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thats good to know Zziggi thank you. But will you have to validate your vouchers at Alton Towers or can they be validated at one of the London venues?
# 114
elisebutt65
Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bylromarha View Post
Would have to disagree - it's unsuitable for my 2.

I took them last year during one of the summer holiday days.

The only thing they enjoyed was the birds of prey. Got bored in the re-enactments, couldn't cope with the stairs on the battlements, got freaked out by the waxworks and strangers in costume talking to them and scared silly by the dark rooms.

Won't be going back until they're 7 I think!
I would have to further disagree - I live just down the road so have the had the annual pass until recently and I've been taking my 9yr old since he was in his buggy and he still loves it! He even went on the school trip despite just going the weekend before.
We often go just for the re-enactments in the summer and when they did the ice rink, it was lovely! Seem to be concentrating on corporate dinners at Xmas now which is a shame!

I find it's my eldest (14) who gets bored now as he's not really into history - he does love the Dungeons though:rolleyes: especially when I start shrieking all over the place!
Noli nothis permittere te terere
Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
Student MoneySaving Club member 026! Teacher now and still Moneysaving

# 115
Destroyer
Old 07-01-2010, 6:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I went to Warwick Castle last year & thoroughly enjoyed the day out, i even treated me & my girlfriend to a nite at the Travelodge in Leamington Spa for cheaps, it was like staying in the Grand Hotel !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Destroyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 116
mumontherun
Old 07-01-2010, 8:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Got through the quidco website to alton towers website, then go to page to buy tickets, look for annual passes, the opt for gift voucher for an annual pass. Bingo.
Did quidco track for you on this please? Was considering doing this but description on quidco seems to imply it's just for hotel stays.
# 117
froggy27
Old 07-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I went to Warwick Castle last year & thoroughly enjoyed the day out, i even treated me & my girlfriend to a nite at the Travelodge in Leamington Spa for cheaps, it was like staying in the Grand Hotel !!!
great to know Destroyer.. just booked travelodge at Leamington Spa in July and Strafford in May for 9 per room.. just to go to warwick castle...do you remember how was the parking at Leamington travelodge?
A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)
# 118
Kay.Samuels
Old 07-01-2010, 1:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Can someone please help me with a question regarding the disabled pass?
My son is classed as disabled (he has autism) and goes around in a special needs pushchair (I could provide them with a letter from docs or Disability Living Allowance benefit - he get higher rate of care).

Am I right in thinking if I buy one disabled pass for him, I don't need to pay for me as I would be classed as his free carer?? (I receive carer's allowance).

If I am right in my thinking here I will be buying one I think, as others have said would save a small fortune in the school hols!
It is only a bargain if you need it!
# 119
susancs
Old 07-01-2010, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you for this information and for your post regarding the gift vouchers as have ordered Merlin passes and booked various Travelodges in todays sale near the ones away from London. Have booked the Leamington Spa one for Warwick Castle. We went the summer before last to Warwick Castle and had a fab day out. I still laugh when I think about the Plaque victims band and the singalong they did with the crowd and the way the Grave Diggers were so in character giving sinister comments to all in an undertone.

Last edited by susancs; 07-01-2010 at 1:43 PM.
# 120
Destroyer
Old 07-01-2010, 1:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy27 View Post
great to know Destroyer.. just booked travelodge at Leamington Spa in July and Strafford in May for 9 per room.. just to go to warwick castle...do you remember how was the parking at Leamington travelodge?
Yes, there is no parking facility adjoined to the hotel however there is a secure manned multi-storey car park closed after mdt but perfect & within
5min walk.

When you come down the High St you will see the Resturant, its called 'The Regent', the entrance to the hotel is on the side. There is a pay & display outside which also has free parking between 18.00pm & 08.00am, but personally i recommend the multi-storey for just a few quid.

Opposite the hotel is the nearest Wetherspoon pub, perfect for dinner & breakfast + a quiet drink in evening.

Warwick Castle is approx 3miles from here.

Last edited by Destroyer; 07-01-2010 at 3:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destroyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread