Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Babycakes
    • By Babycakes 18th Dec 09, 9:52 PM
    • 183Posts
    • 74Thanks
    Babycakes
    Average Gas Bill for 3 bed semi
    • 18th Dec 09, 9:52 PM
    Average Gas Bill for 3 bed semi 18th Dec 09 at 9:52 PM
    What is the average monthly gas bill for a three-bed semi-detached house?

Our bills are £60 per month and we cannot get the temperature up to 16C in the bedroom during the current cold spell.
Page 1
    • markharding557
    • By markharding557 18th Dec 09, 11:31 PM
    • 2,691 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    markharding557
    • 18th Dec 09, 11:31 PM
    • 18th Dec 09, 11:31 PM
    i would say your bill sounds average,could your cold room be due to poor insulation?
    is your loft well insulated?if not your heat goes through the roof and lined cutains make a difference too.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 19th Dec 09, 6:52 AM
    • 25,452 Posts
    • 12,128 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 19th Dec 09, 6:52 AM
    • 19th Dec 09, 6:52 AM
    The average annual gas consumption is 20,500kWh which is between £600 and £700 for most people.

A CH system that is working correctly (assuming it was a proper installation) should get the bedrooms to more than 16C.

Is the bedroom radiator getting hot all over?

Have you bled the radiator?
    • Babycakes
    • By Babycakes 19th Dec 09, 11:15 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Babycakes
    • 19th Dec 09, 11:15 AM
    • 19th Dec 09, 11:15 AM
    The radiators are all piping hot and we have a Vaillant boiler which is meant to be really efficient.

We are double glazed but my husband tells me that our house is made from non-cavity walls.

Our loft has been converted into a bedroom, so I guess lots of heat escapes through that too.

Is £60 per month really average for a house like ours?
  • sdd7677
    • 19th Dec 09, 7:59 PM
    • 19th Dec 09, 7:59 PM
    its averagee...i had average £60 last year but not with first baby this year though !!
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 19th Dec 09, 8:30 PM
    • 25,452 Posts
    • 12,128 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 19th Dec 09, 8:30 PM
    • 19th Dec 09, 8:30 PM
    The radiators are all piping hot and we have a Vaillant boiler which is meant to be really efficient.

We are double glazed but my husband tells me that our house is made from non-cavity walls.

Our loft has been converted into a bedroom, so I guess lots of heat escapes through that too.

Is £60 per month really average for a house like ours?
    Originally posted by Babycakes
    You might need to get a larger radiator(a double panel perhaps)

Obviously anything you can do to improve insulation will help a great deal.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 19th Dec 09, 11:54 PM
    • 6,651 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 19th Dec 09, 11:54 PM
    • 19th Dec 09, 11:54 PM

Does the bedroom radiator get hot quickly? If not, open the lockshield valve a little.

If it was a recent conversion, I assume the room has been insulated, so not too much heat should escape that way.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 20th Dec 09, 12:00 AM
    • 15,907 Posts
    • 59,280 Thanks
    mum2one
    • 20th Dec 09, 12:00 AM
    • 20th Dec 09, 12:00 AM
    Just a thought, if you can get some foil wrapped round card behind the raidiators, reflect the heat.

That sounds about rgt, we're 3 bed semi and over the yr, average out at £45 per month, thats combi boiler, gas cooker, no fire (been condemmed) raidatiors in every rm, had loft and cavity wall done, double glazed.

Guess the loft, ours is thick of lining, but as u've had the conversion, may need abit more heating.

Check the radiators,could need bleeding xx
    16 crafts 2015 =6/16
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 17/50
    Angel Baby Item, 25 hats, 5 blankets
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 20th Dec 09, 12:15 AM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 2,703 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    • 20th Dec 09, 12:15 AM
    • 20th Dec 09, 12:15 AM
    I would say something wrong there you should get over 16c, thats assuming rads are working fine and you have right size for the room size

Solids walls although not as good as insulated cavity walls shouldn't loose that much heat that the room doesn't get sufficiently warm

If you pay £60 a month assuming you arent paying off a lot of debt on gas then thats not much more than what we pay and we have heating all from 4pm until about 11.00pm and most of weekend.

If you havent got loft insulation I would certain get some fitted making sure it complies with the latest insulation standards
    • dannymccann
    • By dannymccann 21st Dec 09, 7:22 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    dannymccann
    Weve got a brand new 3 bed semi, my gas bill (GCH, gas hob (used every day), 1 x 'gas shower' a day) for 24 Sep - 13 Dec was £41.52, leccy bill 20 Jun - 23 Sep was £57.

I was paying £30 a month DD for gas but they sent me a notice saying they were lowering it to £20 a month.

Its all about the insulation, and get rid of draughts, wind chill is a terrible thing
  • Heather220305
    What is the average monthly gas bill for a three-bed semi-detached house?

Our bills are £60 per month and we cannot get the temperature up to 16C in the bedroom during the current cold spell.
    I am on a pay as you go meter and I credit the machine with £20 every 4 days just for gas, which is a staggering £280 a month!! Add on top of that £40 for electricity our energy bills are £320 a month. (For a 3 bed semi, double glazed windows, new combi boiler, electric fire and shower and the heating switched off all day whilst in work)

I'd be over the moon if I was only paying £60 a month!!
  • Premier
    I am on a pay as you go meter and I credit the machine with £20 every 4 days just for gas, which is a staggering £280 a month!! Add on top of that £40 for electricity our energy bills are £320 a month. (For a 3 bed semi, double glazed windows, new combi boiler, electric fire and shower and the heating switched off all day whilst in work)

Originally posted by Heather220305
    Hi Heather220305 and welcome to MSE.

You certainly seem to be using a lot of gas (unless you have simply exprapolated 4 days of unusually high consumption).
    I live in a 3 bed semi, no double glazing, 20 year old boiler and the heating is on most of every day.
    I'm hoping my quarterly gas bill will be less than £280 for the entire winter quarter! (actually I'm sure it will be as I've seen what consumption the meter has recorded)
    The gas may be slightly lower than yours as we cook via electric, but the electric bill will be no more than £120 for the quarter.

Yes I'm on a credit meter, but I don't benefit from the savings such as paying monthly by DD, online biliing etc (because I don't like those methods)
    Last edited by Premier; 03-02-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 3rd Feb 10, 12:17 PM
    • 20,536 Posts
    • 17,058 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    £20 every 4 days is not £280 per month it's £5 per day = £150 per month in winter it would then be about the £75 per month mark over the year which isn't that bad.
  • flashnazia
    Is the radiator big enough?
    I don't think anybody has mentioned this but you bedroom might not be warming up because the radiator isn't the right output for the room.

We had this problem and got a bigger radiator which sorted it.
  • udecruz2273

Originally posted by Heather220305

Me Too... I'm on a prepay meter and it's costing us £20 every three days! I spoke to British gas this time last year and they rekon I'm on the same tariff as the DD people... Not happy
  • sarahjayne1977
    I have a 3 bedroom semi and we only pay £40 a month though out the year..I was in £170 credit before the weather changed. I am in house most of day with 19 month old and a 9 week old so heating on a bit at the min. We have Gas fire and Gas hob, but we also have cavity wall, new double glazing couple of years ago, loft is full of insulation.

Sarah
    Extra earning 2012 From Surveys Etc

Pure-profile £50...Valued 80..Onepoll £120
    Panelbase £33.00...Shop/Scan £40..Crowd £18.00..PO £10.45..Spring £20..voice £20
    IPSOS £30...My survey £5..Ebay Sales £350
    Pine £21..JTA £5..RO £20..RewardO£20..Wonder £5.O Bar £31
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 12th Dec 11, 3:05 PM
    • 9,457 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    Our semi is always cold. I think some houses are born cold!
    We've had new thick insulation in the loft but the walls are solid so can't have cavity ins. The boiler is a couple of years old.
    The gas has just gone up to £82 a month
    Barney is my border collie.
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 12th Dec 11, 3:10 PM
    • 20,536 Posts
    • 17,058 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    Our semi is always cold. I think some houses are born cold!
    We've had new thick insulation in the loft but the walls are solid so can't have cavity ins. The boiler is a couple of years old.
    The gas has just gone up to £82 a month
    Originally posted by Barneysmom
    That's about 28,000kWh at 3.5p per unit. Are you paying arrears off. With a new efficient boiler you should be near or less than the national average of 16,500kWh.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 12th Dec 11, 3:21 PM
    • 9,457 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    No, we've got no arrears at all, it's just a barn of a house.
    We put a porch on last year and had thick carpet in here, hall, stairs and landing.
    Plus a few years ago had a conservatory fitted on the back but it's still really cold within minutes of the heating switching off but I think the cost would be too high to have it on 24/7?
    Barney is my border collie.
  • Humour
    N00bie....be gentle with me ;)
    [EDIT]

buttocks firmly slapped by Jalexa, sorry Sir/Maddam, post now removed and new thread started, although I cannot provide a link as Im not allowed since Im a newbie lol

Hum
    Last edited by Humour; 27-12-2011 at 7:53 PM. Reason: being a n00bie and being naughty lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

402Posts Today

3,119Users online

Martin's Twitter