Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Average Gas Bill for 3 bed semi (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Average Gas Bill for 3 bed semi
Closed Thread
Views: 23,245
# 1
Babycakes
Old 18-12-2009, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Average Gas Bill for 3 bed semi

What is the average monthly gas bill for a three-bed semi-detached house?

Our bills are £60 per month and we cannot get the temperature up to 16C in the bedroom during the current cold spell.
# 2
markharding557
Old 18-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

i would say your bill sounds average,could your cold room be due to poor insulation?
is your loft well insulated?if not your heat goes through the roof and lined cutains make a difference too.
The Following User Says Thank You to markharding557 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Cardew
Old 19-12-2009, 6:52 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The average annual gas consumption is 20,500kWh which is between £600 and £700 for most people.

A CH system that is working correctly (assuming it was a proper installation) should get the bedrooms to more than 16C.

Is the bedroom radiator getting hot all over?

Have you bled the radiator?
# 4
Babycakes
Old 19-12-2009, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The radiators are all piping hot and we have a Vaillant boiler which is meant to be really efficient.

We are double glazed but my husband tells me that our house is made from non-cavity walls.

Our loft has been converted into a bedroom, so I guess lots of heat escapes through that too.

Is £60 per month really average for a house like ours?
# 5
sdd7677
Old 19-12-2009, 7:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

its averagee...i had average £60 last year but not with first baby this year though !!
# 6
Cardew
Old 19-12-2009, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
The radiators are all piping hot and we have a Vaillant boiler which is meant to be really efficient.

We are double glazed but my husband tells me that our house is made from non-cavity walls.

Our loft has been converted into a bedroom, so I guess lots of heat escapes through that too.

Is £60 per month really average for a house like ours?
You might need to get a larger radiator(a double panel perhaps)

Obviously anything you can do to improve insulation will help a great deal.
# 7
Biggles
Old 19-12-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:

Does the bedroom radiator get hot quickly? If not, open the lockshield valve a little.

If it was a recent conversion, I assume the room has been insulated, so not too much heat should escape that way.
# 8
mum2one
Old 20-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Just a thought, if you can get some foil wrapped round card behind the raidiators, reflect the heat.

That sounds about rgt, we're 3 bed semi and over the yr, average out at £45 per month, thats combi boiler, gas cooker, no fire (been condemmed) raidatiors in every rm, had loft and cavity wall done, double glazed.

Guess the loft, ours is thick of lining, but as u've had the conversion, may need abit more heating.

Check the radiators,could need bleeding xx
2836h/4k - 2014 =70.09% DFB June 2023:
50p Pot £24.50 round up change £35.74
1st personal debt -Mum £75/ £1147 0.06% Bed fund 0/40
Member of 14 crafts in 2014 4/14
# 9
BargainGalore
Old 20-12-2009, 12:15 AM

I would say something wrong there you should get over 16c, thats assuming rads are working fine and you have right size for the room size

Solids walls although not as good as insulated cavity walls shouldn't loose that much heat that the room doesn't get sufficiently warm

If you pay £60 a month assuming you arent paying off a lot of debt on gas then thats not much more than what we pay and we have heating all from 4pm until about 11.00pm and most of weekend.

If you havent got loft insulation I would certain get some fitted making sure it complies with the latest insulation standards
# 10
dannymccann
Old 21-12-2009, 7:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Weve got a brand new 3 bed semi, my gas bill (GCH, gas hob (used every day), 1 x 'gas shower' a day) for 24 Sep - 13 Dec was £41.52, leccy bill 20 Jun - 23 Sep was £57.

I was paying £30 a month DD for gas but they sent me a notice saying they were lowering it to £20 a month.

Its all about the insulation, and get rid of draughts, wind chill is a terrible thing
# 11
Heather220305
Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
What is the average monthly gas bill for a three-bed semi-detached house?

Our bills are £60 per month and we cannot get the temperature up to 16C in the bedroom during the current cold spell.
I am on a pay as you go meter and I credit the machine with £20 every 4 days just for gas, which is a staggering £280 a month!! Add on top of that £40 for electricity our energy bills are £320 a month. (For a 3 bed semi, double glazed windows, new combi boiler, electric fire and shower and the heating switched off all day whilst in work)

I'd be over the moon if I was only paying £60 a month!!
# 12
Premier
Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather220305 View Post
I am on a pay as you go meter and I credit the machine with £20 every 4 days just for gas, which is a staggering £280 a month!! Add on top of that £40 for electricity our energy bills are £320 a month. (For a 3 bed semi, double glazed windows, new combi boiler, electric fire and shower and the heating switched off all day whilst in work)

Hi Heather220305 and welcome to MSE.

You certainly seem to be using a lot of gas (unless you have simply exprapolated 4 days of unusually high consumption).
I live in a 3 bed semi, no double glazing, 20 year old boiler and the heating is on most of every day.
I'm hoping my quarterly gas bill will be less than £280 for the entire winter quarter! (actually I'm sure it will be as I've seen what consumption the meter has recorded)
The gas may be slightly lower than yours as we cook via electric, but the electric bill will be no more than £120 for the quarter.

Yes I'm on a credit meter, but I don't benefit from the savings such as paying monthly by DD, online biliing etc (because I don't like those methods)
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010

Last edited by Premier; 03-02-2010 at 12:11 PM.
# 13
HappyMJ
Old 03-02-2010, 12:17 PM

£20 every 4 days is not £280 per month it's £5 per day = £150 per month in winter it would then be about the £75 per month mark over the year which isn't that bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
flashnazia
Old 04-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Is the radiator big enough?

I don't think anybody has mentioned this but you bedroom might not be warming up because the radiator isn't the right output for the room.

We had this problem and got a bigger radiator which sorted it.
# 15
udecruz2273
Old 12-12-2011, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather220305 View Post

Me Too... I'm on a prepay meter and it's costing us £20 every three days! I spoke to British gas this time last year and they rekon I'm on the same tariff as the DD people... Not happy
# 16
sarahjayne1977
Old 12-12-2011, 3:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a 3 bedroom semi and we only pay £40 a month though out the year..I was in £170 credit before the weather changed. I am in house most of day with 19 month old and a 9 week old so heating on a bit at the min. We have Gas fire and Gas hob, but we also have cavity wall, new double glazing couple of years ago, loft is full of insulation.

Sarah
Extra earning 2012 From Surveys Etc

Pure-profile £50...Valued 80..Onepoll £120
Panelbase £33.00...Shop/Scan £40..Crowd £18.00..PO £10.45..Spring £20..voice £20
IPSOS £30...My survey £5..Ebay Sales £350
Pine £21..JTA £5..RO £20..RewardO£20..Wonder £5.O Bar £31
# 17
Barneysmom
Old 12-12-2011, 3:05 PM

Our semi is always cold. I think some houses are born cold!
We've had new thick insulation in the loft but the walls are solid so can't have cavity ins. The boiler is a couple of years old.
The gas has just gone up to £82 a month
Barney is my border collie.
# 18
HappyMJ
Old 12-12-2011, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneysmom View Post
Our semi is always cold. I think some houses are born cold!
We've had new thick insulation in the loft but the walls are solid so can't have cavity ins. The boiler is a couple of years old.
The gas has just gone up to £82 a month
That's about 28,000kWh at 3.5p per unit. Are you paying arrears off. With a new efficient boiler you should be near or less than the national average of 16,500kWh.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Barneysmom
Old 12-12-2011, 3:21 PM

No, we've got no arrears at all, it's just a barn of a house.
We put a porch on last year and had thick carpet in here, hall, stairs and landing.
Plus a few years ago had a conservatory fitted on the back but it's still really cold within minutes of the heating switching off but I think the cost would be too high to have it on 24/7?
Barney is my border collie.
# 20
Humour
Old 27-12-2011, 7:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Humour
Default N00bie....be gentle with me ;)

[EDIT]

buttocks firmly slapped by Jalexa, sorry Sir/Maddam, post now removed and new thread started, although I cannot provide a link as Im not allowed since Im a newbie lol

Hum

Last edited by Humour; 27-12-2011 at 7:53 PM. Reason: being a n00bie and being naughty lol
Closed Thread