Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 20th Jun 06, 3:30 PM
    • 8,108Posts
    • 42,239Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Cheapest Hayfever Tablets Survey and Hunt
    • 20th Jun 06, 3:30 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheapest Hayfever Tablets Survey and Hunt 20th Jun 06 at 3:30 PM
    UPDATE: Now read the full, updated

Cheap Hayfever Tablets

Guide which includes a survey of all the cheapest.

What's it about?

The hayfever season's upon us and it's harsh on pocket as well as the nose. Yet its possible to substantially cut the cost of hayfever and allergy drugs

Buy generic!

Most of the time when we buy pharmaceuticals, most of the cost goes to packaging, sugar coating the brand and profits. Whereas, actually the key is to look for the 'active' ingredient, this is the bit that does the work.

The pharmaceutical industry is heavily regulated, so the same active ingredient, in the same dose, should do the same thing; even if its not a famous brand name.

Do ensure its a reputable source though. Plus those with allergies should take care, in case the non-active ingredients have changed from what you're used to, please read Cheaper Medications and Prescriptions for more details.

What are the active ingredients in hayfever tablets?

Different hayfever drugs work in different ways and thus have different active ingredients. Here are the two major brands
    • Zirtek. Active ingredient, Cetirizine dihydrocholride
    • Claritin. Active ingredient, Loratadine
    The Cheapest HayFever Tablets

I've decided to focus on the high street, as most people want their tablets quickly and easily rather than ordering on line, yet there is a cracking online deal to start.

Do remember that prices can occasionally vary in individual stores. Of course its worth checking out your local independent chemist too - who often do a great job, and buying there helps keep them open!

Key to the following table

Cetirizine dihydrocholride (CD)
    Loratadine (LR)

WARNING! Always double check the active ingredient on the packet is the correct one for you, for yourself before taking any tablet!

An Ultra Cheap Online Source 99p for 30 tablets

For those willing to have a little hassle, online Chemist-4-u is selling Generic CD 30 packs for 99p including postage. You need to buy at least two packs and have to pay by paypal. Just for info I have checked and this chemist is registered with the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Britain's website.

Top Five Cheapest High Street 7 Tablets Generic
    • Savers Shops: Own Brand LR or CD 95p
    • Tesco: Own Brand CD 7s 98p
    • Superdrug: Own Brand 2 for 1 LR or CD at £1.99 for 7
    • Morrisons: Own Brand Loratadine LR or CD (Zirtek) CD 99p/7 tabs
    • Boots: Value health LR 98p/7 tabs CD 99p/7 tabs
    Top Five Cheapest High Street 7 Tablets Main Brand
    • Boots (in store): Galpharm LR/CD £1.25/7 tabs
    • Tesco: Clarityn 7s £2.97 (currently 2 for 1)
    • Savers: Piriteze, £2.39/7 tabs
    • Superdrug: Benadryl 12's, 2 for £6
    • Morrisons: Clarityn £2.99/7 tabs
    Presciptions: Its often possible to get a prescription for hayfever tablets, then a three month supply will be £6.65.

Larger Numbers: Many chemists are now stocking packs of 30 tablets, these too can be, though aren't always, better value.

Spots from other MoneySavers below:

Aldi: Galpharm LD and CD 89p
    Wilkinsons: Own-brand LD around same price as own-brand above yet sometimes 2 for 1

Full Current High Street Price 7 Tablets Listing By Store

Boots:

Benadryl 2 for £6 (12's)
    Benadryl CD 2 for £5
    Zirtek £2.72/7 tabs
    Galpharm LR/CD £1.25/7 tabs
    Own Brand LR/CD £2.69/7 tabs
    Value health LR 98p/7 tabs CD 99p/7 tabs

Morrisons:

Clarityn £2.99/7 tabs
    Benadryl £3.99/12 tabs
    Own Brand Loratadine LR or CD (Zirtek) CD 99p/7 tabs

Savers:

Piriteze £2.39/7 tabs
    Own Brand LR or CD 95p

Superdrug:

Benadryl 12's 2 for £6
    piriteze (CD) 2 for £5.50 7 tabs
    Claityn/Zirtek 7 tabs 2 for £5
    Own Brand £1.99/7 tabs (currently 2 for 1)

Tesco:

Benadryl Cetirizine 7s £2.98 (currently 2 for 1)
    Clarityn 7s £2.97 (currently 2 for 1)
    Piriteze 1 A Day 7 pack £2.77
    Own Brand Cetirizine 7s 98p

Found any legit and cheaper?

Please report your finds below by clicking reply. If possible put the price, the source and the active ingredient.

Martin

Last edited by MSE Martin; 06-05-2008 at 10:11 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • lewt
    • By lewt 20th Jun 06, 3:33 PM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    lewt
    • 20th Jun 06, 3:33 PM
    • 20th Jun 06, 3:33 PM
    good stuff martin.... have the banks put a price on your head yet?:rolleyes: they really must hate you and your site! but we all think your the nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • cigar
    • 20th Jun 06, 4:46 PM
    • 20th Jun 06, 4:46 PM
    Thanks Martin! I was only searching through some old posts earlier to find out where to get some cheap "CD"!! Now I've found all the info I need in one post. Going to give up on my Telfast prescription and go generic and hopefully save £££'s (as well as the hassle of getting a repeat prescription) over the next few months!
  • mandirinmonroe
    • 20th Jun 06, 4:50 PM
    • 20th Jun 06, 4:50 PM
    lidl have cheap tablets
    Goooooo with the Flowwwwww
  • sazzy30
    • 20th Jun 06, 7:35 PM
    • 20th Jun 06, 7:35 PM
    thanks for this, I suffer very badly with my hayfever and find the remedies really expensive. I have just ordered the CD online and will let you know how I get on
    • woohoo
    • By woohoo 20th Jun 06, 9:35 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    woohoo
    • 20th Jun 06, 9:35 PM
    • 20th Jun 06, 9:35 PM
    They have both types of generic tablets that Martin mentions in Wilkinson's for 79p for 7. Still not as good as the online source though!!!!!!
  • Sam_26
    • 20th Jun 06, 9:46 PM
    • 20th Jun 06, 9:46 PM
    Martin

Please watch your spelling and people don't get confused with USA drugs or many drugs have similar names or spellings. Therefore:

Zirtek. Active ingredient, Citirizine dihydrocholride (SHOULD BE CETIRIZINE)
    Claritin (CLARITYN). Active ingredient, Loretadine (SHOULD BE LORATIDINE)

SAM - www.chemist-4-u.com
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Chemist-4-u. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • goose
    • By goose 20th Jun 06, 10:37 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    goose
    • 20th Jun 06, 10:37 PM
    • 20th Jun 06, 10:37 PM
    Thanks, just ordered enough for the next couple of years!
  • Wingman
    • 20th Jun 06, 11:28 PM
    • 20th Jun 06, 11:28 PM
    Ordered mine too, hayfever isn't very nice and is made worse by the amount of money it costs for tablets!! This will help my pocket a bit this summer, as I have been buying mine from Asda at 98 pence for 7!

Just a little note though, for everyone who has ordered them online, if you have young children, please make sure you get to the post before they do, you can't be too carfeul with things like that can you!
  • pruney
    Sainsburys
    Hi
    I got my CETIRIZINE from Sainsburys pharmacy 1 box of 30 for £1.99. Not as cheap as online but cheaper than most of the high street stockists. Ask for it though as they didn't appear to keep it on the shelf.
    Cheers,
    Ayesha
    • photome
    • By photome 21st Jun 06, 7:07 AM
    • 12,544 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    photome
    If you get free prescriptions or if you have a prepayment certificate go to the docs and get a prescription for them, I get neoclarytin on prescription
    • photome
    • By photome 21st Jun 06, 7:08 AM
    • 12,544 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    photome
    Thanks, just ordered enough for the next couple of years!
    by goose
    The last ones i got from the chemist only had a 1 year use by date on them
  • Lotta Littlies
    Well done Martin. Thanks.

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
  • gazbert
    Nice offer
    • benjus
    • By benjus 21st Jun 06, 9:16 AM
    • 4,851 Posts
    • 2,901 Thanks
    benjus
    The only tablets I've found that work for me are Benadryl Allergy Relief (active ingredient Acrivastine) which are extremely effective. As far as I can tell, only Pfizer (owner of the Benadryl brand name) makes this drug so you can't get it cheaper elsewhere. If anyone knows different I'd be interested to know.
  • rappius
    Anyone know where one can buy nasaleze on the cheap? Being over 60 I can get free scrips but I fouknd Nasaleze very effective and is not a drug. Generally I use Clarityn which is very effective for me.
  • shawfos
    cheaper still
    I found the cheapest way is to go the docs and get a prescription for the summer, saves megabucks! I tried most and found loratidine do not make you drowsy.
    ShawfosShawfosShawfosShawfos
  • SW12SAVER
    Yes the cheapest way is to go and get a prescription from the doctor. I think the cost is £6.65 and you can ask for 3 month's supply. Much much cheaper. The problem may be getting an appointment with your doctor but some surgeries offer repeat prescriptions where you request what you want and go back in a few day's time to pick up the duly signed prescription.
  • halesquad
    http://www.yamoapowder.com/testimonials.htm#HAYFEVER

take a look at these testimonials on this natural powder for hayfever sufferers.

we have just bought some for our daughter so will give a natural drug a go before the 'traditional medicine'.

HAY FEVER / ALLERGIES
    22nd September 2003 I am a 68 year old white male who has suffered with asthma and ragweed induced hay fever for over 30 years. It is at its worst from September until the 1st frost (that kills the ragweed). Just walking up a slight hill or doing any exercise would result in heavy breathing and typical asthma difficulty in exhaling at any time of year. The bronchial inhaler helped, but never really completely relieved the symptoms. I started on Yamoa in mid-August 2003 and after only a couple of weeks discovered that all my asthma symptoms had disappeared. I completed the 30 day supply of capsules yesterday and the only remnant of the hay fever is an occasional sneezing fit. Of course it is too soon to tell if the effects are permanent, but I am thrilled thus far! It has been at least 30 years since I have felt this good as I exercise. Life is good again! I have recommended Yamoa to all my acquaintances who suffer from allergies and/or asthma. I just hope it is permanent. But even if it is not, I will just take it for another month. Sincerely, Glen Emerson
    17th September 2003 I bought the tablets for my wife who suffers annual Hay Fever. This normally hits her late May and June but we have spent many months in Spain over the past years and this year she suffered badly in early May which we reckoned was the Olive pollen. She was beside herself but then took Yamoa for a month. During this time we returned to the UK and she then ceased virtually all symptons. Because of the change in climate shortly after beginning the course it is difficult to certainly say Yamoa was the cause for her feeling better but we are confident it was. However the proof may well be next year and she will take the capsules from about April. Ron Orchard
    3rd September 2003 First off...I want you to realize that youur product does work. It would be nice if it cured my problem...but being 53 and an acrobat,(Flying Trapeze) in the circus, does present a possible problem. That's because I'm not like the average human at ages of fifty or better. I have the strength and endurance of a 25 year old person whose in shape. I was an Olympic hopeful for the 1972 games but a broken ankle just before the trials put me out. So I became a professional instead...and have never quit! Except...since 1982, I've experienced certain breathing problems and that's to do with climate and where I live. Florida! I can't move because of business so the desert states like Arizona or New Mexico are out for my location. It probably would be best for my condition...but I get by and can fly with the best of them. My goal is to make the Guinness Book of Records for being the oldest acrobat to swing front somersaults on fixed horizontal bars. I plan on working my trade at the age of 75 and plan to continue my hand balancing throughout my eighties. I've seen it done...many Gypsys from Eastern Europe have made the grade. It is more than possible. Yet back to your product...the powder mixed with honey seems to work the best..........Thank you..........Jim Bovay
    25th July 2003 I offer the following experiences in support of Yamoa powder. I bought Yamoa capsules for myself and my son. We both suffered severe hayfever, my son in early spring/summer and myself mainly but not exclusively mid summer. Within a week of starting to take Yamoa capsules my son had stopped taking his anti allergy tables. Prior to this even with the tablets he could not breathe through his nose and suffered eye problems. All his symptoms have gone. For myself my symptoms have been greatly relieved, and I now suffer the occaisiona stuffy nose and itchy eyes as opposed to constantly blocked nostrils and eyes streaming all day, even with the use of nasal sprays way beyond the reccomended dose, and large volumes of eye drops. Gary Francis
    25th July 2003 I would just like to inform you that since my husband took yamoa last year he has been hayfever free. You might like to pass this on to other people. Mrs June Roberts

thats just a few of them.....
    Last edited by halesquad; 21-06-2006 at 12:10 PM.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Clasics
    The last ones i got from the chemist only had a 1 year use by date on them
    by photome

My cetrizine thingymajib tablets jsut arrived from chemist-4u and the expiry date is Nov 2008, so no worries! Incidentally, they are the same brand that my sister in law got on prescription from the docs, APS. Although I have a feeling she got them from the same chemists group that chemist-4u is linked with, Numark? We have now got 300 tablets for a total cost of £9.90. I think that's a bargain, especially when you consider the expiry date of Nov 2008. In actual fact, if you pay for your prescriptions, then THIS is the cheapest way to get your hayfever relief, not the docs.
    I spelt my username wrongly on purpose, by the way!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,602Posts Today

8,934Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin