Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toomuchmess
    • By toomuchmess 10th Dec 09, 10:21 PM
    • 252Posts
    • 182Thanks
    toomuchmess
    What to put in homemade christmas crackers
    • 10th Dec 09, 10:21 PM
    What to put in homemade christmas crackers 10th Dec 09 at 10:21 PM
    I said to my sister my girls and me would make some christmas cracker kits in tescos,but what to put in them!
    my mind has gone blank :confused:

we will have kids, boy/girl mix average age 10
    and half a dozen adults,mixed
    suggestions gratefully received

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-12-2017 at 9:55 AM.
Page 2
    • Ziggy Stardust
    • By Ziggy Stardust 5th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    Ziggy Stardust
    We're seeing a lot of traffic to this discussion so I'm bumping it up.

Does anyone have any fresh ideas?

Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Nail polish, lotto ticket, key rings, chocolate coins, lip gloss.

I really am stuck this year for ideas for my husband, I always seem to get him a lottery ticket or a key ring. He's not into aftershave or stuff like that.
    • savingmonkey
    • By savingmonkey 6th Dec 17, 1:39 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    savingmonkey
    Charity pin badges. I put these from CLIC Sargent in one year
    https://shop.clicsargent.org.uk/products/christmas-pins
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 10th Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    nimbo
    I love the charity pin badges idea. It’s for a good cause too.

I’ve bought a selection of different birds form the rspb collection for different people and even a bee for my mother as her name means bee.

My nephew has a train badge - although to be fair I’m not sure of the chastity it’s for as I didn’t but this one my partner did.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 3 / 500
    • franklee
    • By franklee 11th Dec 17, 11:48 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 3,764 Thanks
    franklee
    Small screwdriver with various detachable screwheads in the handle, small torch, small personal fan, jewellery, light summer scarf that can be rolled up, small spectacle/screen cleaning cloth.

Wonder if you could fit a packet of seeds in for the gardeners. Pack of finger type plant labels Wilko has several types some you write on and some you scratch with the scribe provided.

For the crafters a clear stamp (of the kind that you use with an acrylic block the crafter will already own). The stamps themselves are bendy so should easily fit provided the aren't the bigger ones.

Some nice ribbon that could be used for, hair, doll's hair, or for crafting.

Needlework mending kit or embroidery thread.
    Last edited by franklee; 12-12-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    • musikate
    • By musikate 13th Dec 17, 7:07 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    musikate
    Freebies
    I'm interested in whether you can get freebies or sample perfumes and things which could go into crackers
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 8,838 Posts
    • 21,147 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Fabulous ideas everyone!

I'm interested in whether you can get freebies or sample perfumes and things which could go into crackers
    Originally posted by musikate
    That makes sense. It's probably too late for this year but for next year the Freebies board could be a good source.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • princess_fiona
    • By princess_fiona 13th Dec 17, 12:08 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    princess_fiona
    My family does this each year with cheap crackers and adding a personal item. It does get difficult over the years but adds to the fun of buying. Flavoured Lipsyl, lipstick, nail polish etc. Book of postage stamps, tree ornament. We add scratch cards but bend so the foil is to the cracker so the foil doesn't rub off if stuffing a gift inside. I once put a lacy pair of pants in for daughter but there was a burning smell and and a burn hole in them from the snap that went bang!
    No reliance should be placed on the above.

• Ziggy Stardust
    • By Ziggy Stardust 13th Dec 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    Ziggy Stardust
    My family does this each year with cheap crackers and adding a personal item. It does get difficult over the years but adds to the fun of buying. Flavoured Lipsyl, lipstick, nail polish etc. Book of postage stamps, tree ornament. We add scratch cards but bend so the foil is to the cracker so the foil doesn't rub off if stuffing a gift inside. I once put a lacy pair of pants in for daughter but there was a burning smell and and a burn hole in them from the snap that went bang!
    Originally posted by princess_fiona
    Thanks for the tip about the foil on the scratch cards, I'm sorry but the burnt frillies gave me a giggle .
    • bloomfelt
    • By bloomfelt 13th Dec 17, 12:22 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    bloomfelt
    My local poundland have packs of 6 bubbles but they are thinner tubes so would go great in a cracker
    £5 a day December £301.59/£155
    £5 a day 2017 (so far)£1262.02
    • anitaS
    • By anitaS 13th Dec 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anitaS
    mini post-it notes,emery board,shopping trolley token,magic flannel;face-mask sachet; lip-balm; mixed spices with recipe; eyedrops; temporary tattoos;
    • Dirty Bubble
    • By Dirty Bubble 14th Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Dirty Bubble
    I've been buying M&S make your own crackers for several years now . I put in scratch card, chocolate sprout & depending who it's for candle votive , spirit miniature bottle , lip balm . I also go to Debenhams & ask for freebies on the beauty counters , this year I've had perfume , aftershave , mascara, lipstick & eye pencils
    • franklee
    • By franklee 14th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 3,764 Thanks
    franklee
    One year I purchased a large bag of modelling balloons, split them up and put some in each cracker. I took along a balloon pump too and we each made our own balloon hats to wear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin