Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • datostar
    • By datostar 9th Dec 09, 4:00 PM
    • 1,013Posts
    • 609Thanks
    datostar
    Baxi Bermuda BBU HE Any experiences?
    • 9th Dec 09, 4:00 PM
    Baxi Bermuda BBU HE Any experiences? 9th Dec 09 at 4:00 PM
    Seeing the boiler 'scrappage' scheme announced has got me thinking about our old 1970's Baxi Bermuda which is still working OK but is probably rated 'E' or 'F' (so unlikely to qualify for 'scrappage'). It obviously won't last for ever and the amount of work to replace with a wall mounted condensing boiler somewhere would be horrendous. I see that Baxi have recently brought out an 'A' rated condensing back boiler which looks like a reasonably straightforward replacement for the old Bermudas - needs a new concentric chimney liner and a water discharge pipe for condensate but apparently can be installed in one day. They're a bit pricey, probably about £2000 with the boiler, electric fire front and new flue but there should be a big saving on installation, pipe re-routing, redecoration etc. Has anybody had any experience with the new Bermuda or any thoughst on it?
Page 3
    • leehorspool
    • By leehorspool 18th Jan 16, 6:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leehorspool
    I have s baxi bermuda gf super.
    Have been told that the flue is corroded on fireplace amd not to use. But using the boiler is fine.
    Can anybody please advise?
    Can i replace flue on fireplace?
    And also is the new bbu replacement any good?
    • BlondeHeadOn
    • By BlondeHeadOn 19th Jan 16, 2:30 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    BlondeHeadOn
    Can't comment on the rest of it, but the new Baxi bbu boiler unit is great - we had this installed in 2013, and it has been problem free and very economical.

HTH
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 24th May 17, 11:25 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    cashferret
    Wondering about this myself...
    Just wondering about reliability, ease of fit, and total cost of this, from people who've had them fitted and have had some experience with them now - want to replace my own Baxi back boiler to get rid of the window vent (which makes my lounge and kitchen very cold in winter and autumn).
    • james_stan
    • By james_stan 25th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    james_stan
    Still available
    Is the Baxi BBU condensing back boiler still available?
    • interceptor02
    • By interceptor02 1st Nov 17, 10:07 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    interceptor02
    Unfortunately, not. Baxi discontinued making back boilers in 2015. I am looking to replace our back bolier I was shocked when I found out Baxi no longer make them. Problem is I cant have a combi as I have nowhere to fit. Trying to find an alternative that doesn't need all my floor boards being ripped up.
    • misterbarlow
    • By misterbarlow 1st Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    misterbarlow
    we had an ancient baxi bermuda back boiler also..
    recently had some PPI money so decided to replace it as probably wouldn't have that much cash again for a while....

It was fed from two tanks in attic that had a cold feed, and the CH feed/return passed thru airing cupboard which also held the cylinder with the HW feed, so we had a new worcester greenstar mounted up in the attic on the side wall, using some existing piping to cut costs and save time, was a full days work for two guys, came to £1800 all in...
    • Rod52
    • By Rod52 6th Dec 17, 8:06 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rod52
    Ditto!
    We had a Baxi HE BBU installed at great expense by BG in 2012, problems every year since, failed fan, failed condensate pump, failed pcb, failed pump valve, failed boiler control on Valor fire supplied with boiler . We're now on our fourth day without heating and hot water until BG can determine the fault. This year I spent £250 getting a trace heater and insulation fitted to the condensate pipe to avoid freezing which it does at the merest hint of frost. We bought the boiler on Baxi's reputation and advertising hype! No surprise then that Baxi no longer produce this boiler as it fails to live up to Baxi's name and those who purchased it are now left 'between a rock and a hard place.' Apparently the boiler has an expected lifespan of 10 years, whereas my old 'Housewarmer' back boiler was still performing correctly at 27 years old when we made the foolish decision to replace it.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 6th Dec 17, 9:30 AM
    • 477 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Unfortunately, not. Baxi discontinued making back boilers in 2015. I am looking to replace our back bolier I was shocked when I found out Baxi no longer make them. Problem is I cant have a combi as I have nowhere to fit. Trying to find an alternative that doesn't need all my floor boards being ripped up.
    Originally posted by interceptor02
    Just a thought, could you fit a combi in the space currently occupied by the hot water tank?

Would need the gas routing in and the flue out, but at least the plumbing already converges there.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 6th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 10,310 Posts
    • 9,351 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Just digressing slightly but i do wonder at the cumulative effects of thousands of litres of acidic condensate from HE boilers being discharged into the environment.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • oaksey
    • By oaksey 12th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oaksey
    Another ditto here!
    I also have a Baxi Bermuda HHU boiler. So far I've had a couple of condensate pumps changed in the last 7 years and currently have had no hot water or heating for 6 days. They tried to repair it on Friday, but then it broke again on Saturday morning. Hopefully a Baxi engineer will turn up today (Tuesday).
    Based on the appalling customer service, it's getting changed next year and I will never have another Baxi Group product. I have some pretty serious health issues, but was told by the Baxi customer service desk to go to Argos to get some heaters. Reading their Facebook page, I'm not the only one to get that treatment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter