Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 6
    • Dan-Dan
    • By Dan-Dan 26th May 16, 10:48 AM
    • 4,923 Posts
    • 4,329 Thanks
    Dan-Dan
    spam reported, its tiresome
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
    • saveallmymoney
    • By saveallmymoney 26th May 16, 10:49 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    saveallmymoney
    I commented earlier on this thread that i didn't have a great record with tradesman regardless of where i found them, a quick update that I just used mybuilder last week to find someone to build a concrete shed base in my garden.

The guy was excellent, turned up when he said and did a great job - so much easier than ringing round.
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 26th May 16, 6:16 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Patr100
    @teneighty, you have wasted a message here. Rather why don't you concentrate on the substance of my message. Perhaps you can share how your company deals with their clients and how can clients feel safe, i.e. the company is registered for Tax an VAT purposes and adhere to Rules and Regulations .
    Enlightened us please and stop making personal attacks on members(please refrain from replying without any substance on your message). Have a great day. Ed
    Originally posted by greenlifecontractors
    That was not a personal attack. The poster had a valid point. Posting as a Company without permission from MSE is against forum rules. And you are all for "adhering to the "rules and regulations", arent you?
    Read the section on verified companies in the forum rules:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs?_ga=1.263971468.1487081225.1434838937

short answer, as already politely indicated by teneighty, do not use posts and company username in this forum as a proxy form of advertising for your business, however wonderful it may be.

Oh and by the way, don't reply to me unless you have any substance to your message......
    Last edited by Patr100; 26-05-2016 at 6:21 PM.
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 15th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    Be Happy
    Used MyBuilder recently and was very impressed with result.

Noticed one broken tile on single storey extension, near gutter edge, and had a spare tile. Phoned around local tilers, with same result - warned that there would be a call-out charge on top of work done and would fit it in when they could - didn't know when.

Posted on MyBuilder had 5 'interested' tilers. Chose nearest one and arranged for him to do work. He called round at 8.30 next morning, on his way to another job. Did the work and charged only the call-out fee, £50.

So entire process took less than a day.
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 19th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    Hi, my first post.

I currently want some work done in my home but the only people who I know who have had work done recently do not live near me and so I decided to try Rated People. Unfortunately, you can't choose the tradesmen you wish to approach, you post the job and they decide whose details to send. I didn't like this idea so turned to Mybuilder as on there you decide who to invite to quote. I invited 6 tradesmen and sent them a detailed job spec but none replied. I got 3 further approaches from people who MyBuilder themselves had sent my job details to (I wasn't aware they did this). One had no feedback and the other had 1 feedback and whilst they may be great I didn't feel that I had anything on which to make a decision. They both have websites but one was jus a single page with some rather random pictures and didn't fill me with confidence. The other website made some impressive claims which I expected to be able to verify by searching on the web but in fact I could find nothing. The third person looked ok and I am currently waiting for a quote.

As I had got only 1 person (potentially) from Mybuilder I turned to Checkatrade.com. I have approached several people listed on the site; one asked me to send the job details but didn't reply despite a follow-up e-mail and I am waiting for two others to give a quote.

After looking on here I discovered Buy With Confidence. Unfortunately there is hardly anyone on there near to where I live but I and have approached two tradesmen listed on the site. One I left a message for and am waiting for the call to be returned (if it is) and the other asked me to send the job spec and said he will ring me.

So I have tried 3 different sites just to get 3, possibly 4 people to quote (assuming they do). I will report back later and let everyone know how I got on. I get the impression here that on the whole people aren't keen on these sites, although some people have had good experiences. Trust Pilot (which I also found through this site ) has hundreds of glowing review for both Mybuilder.com and Checkatrade.com so I'm a little confused. I wondered if Trust Pilot also only has positive reviews and so looked at a couple of other sites including an online clothing company that I have used without problem many times over at least 10 years and consider to be excellentand it had terrible reviews on Trust Pilot! The whole thing seems to be a minefield but hopefully (I'm the eternal optimist) the end result will be ok, although my partner is convinced it will be a disaster.
    • MrsAngry123456
    • By MrsAngry123456 6th Apr 17, 7:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MrsAngry123456
    Don't Touch MyBuilder
    Hired a builder through MyBuilder.com. This builder's website had 10 reviews all 10 out of 10. I now realise these were probably family and friends posting dummy reviews. From day 14 everything went wrong with my build, not turning up, short days 11 till 2 pm, lots of excuses, he then went bankrupt whilst on my project taking all my savings. Contacted MyBuilder who were very dismissive and difficult to contact, all in all not very interested in my concerns. PS. They still advertise this builder who has set up a new company. Since posting as many negative reviews as I can, I have been contacted by numerous people who have experienced the same problem with this builder. Why is this allowed to happen . So angry.
    • aylesby
    • By aylesby 7th Apr 17, 9:44 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    aylesby
    I have used Mybuilder a number of times in the last year. Their website is less messy than their competitors and I have no DIY skills. No chosen tradesman proved bad but many will chase jobs irrespective of the distance they travel and that needs watching.
    Read their reviews and check the services offered. You should be able to sort the better local ones out. The good ones are busy and do need to look for the work all the time.
    When I can not find a tradesman I cancel the job and try somewhere else.
    • PittmanDecor
    • By PittmanDecor 10th Apr 17, 5:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PittmanDecor
    My builder and any such similar websites are complete Crap. The description of the works that get written out by the customers arent very descriptive. Customers tend to be only on there for the cheapest quote and most of the time don't even want the work done. We trade's have to pay for the leads and 90% of the time we don't win them. The demographic seems to be people using my builder or similar sites tend to be complete time wasters, not sure of what they want done, suspicious of any tradesman because they friends won't recommend people to them because they're total idiots. Websites like these are trying to put the power in the customer's hands, that can only be bad news when you consider that most customers are !!!!ing idiots. You can't trust any reviews because they're mostly written out by the cowboys themselves. If you want a decent tradesman for your job. Ask a friend to recommend someone, get 5 quotes from different companies AND USE YOUR BRAIN TO MAKE A CHARACTER JUDGEMENT ON THAT COMPANY OR INDIVIDUAL.
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 10th Apr 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Patr100
    My builder and any such similar websites are complete Crap. The description of the works that get written out by the customers arent very descriptive. Customers tend to be only on there for the cheapest quote and most of the time don't even want the work done. We trade's have to pay for the leads and 90% of the time we don't win them. The demographic seems to be people using my builder or similar sites tend to be complete time wasters, not sure of what they want done, suspicious of any tradesman because they friends won't recommend people to them because they're total idiots. Websites like these are trying to put the power in the customer's hands, that can only be bad news when you consider that most customers are !!!!ing idiots. You can't trust any reviews because they're mostly written out by the cowboys themselves. If you want a decent tradesman for your job. Ask a friend to recommend someone, get 5 quotes from different companies AND USE YOUR BRAIN TO MAKE A CHARACTER JUDGEMENT ON THAT COMPANY OR INDIVIDUAL.
    Originally posted by PittmanDecor
    Thanks for your "character judgement" on customers you've never met. Says a lot about you. too.
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • DominicH
    • By DominicH 10th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    DominicH
    If you want a decent tradesman for your job. Ask a friend to recommend someone, get 5 quotes from different companies AND USE YOUR BRAIN TO MAKE A CHARACTER JUDGEMENT ON THAT COMPANY OR INDIVIDUAL.
    Originally posted by PittmanDecor
    I recently had a simple job done, and called seven local tradesmen. Only two came back to me with estimates. So I would have to call maybe twenty of them to get the five quotes that you suggest. That's like half a day of telephone tennis in itself.

Then there's the people who do give you a quote, but don't actually respond if you want to proceed, or cancel the job or whatever. So make that twenty-five people you have to contact.

And after all that, the person you get may be crap, as was the case with the work I had done. Personal recommendations are hit and miss too, in my experience.

So yes, it is all a bit of a lottery. All you can do is, if you find a good tradesman, be nice to him and hang on to him!
    "Einstein never said most of the things attributed to him" - Mark Twain
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Apr 17, 11:53 AM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 4,708 Thanks
    another casualty
    Interesting thread .
    I only heard of my builder , if I do a google search and ask a building type question . Great answers . Good site

I was going to get a quote for a new bathroom from rated people last night
    I held back at the last ( for now)as there seemed to be a few disclaimer/at your own risk terms and I felt a bit uneasy .
    I've sent van email to a local gas engineering / plumbers who do showers and all see what they say first . A good tradesperson is worth their weight in gold if you can get them .
    • Michael8876
    • By Michael8876 11th Apr 17, 5:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Michael8876
    There is no support or protection from MyBuilder if there is an issue with a trade, as I had with AW Roofing & Building of Stockport. I emailed them and their CEO 4 times before he rang me and declared they 'wouldn't get involved because AW Roofing & Building had so many positive reviews'. My review and the insulting, libelous replies from AW are there to be seen. Any normal company would have censored at least the trader. As long as the trader pays for enquiries, MyBuilder are content..
    Last edited by Michael8876; 11-04-2017 at 5:42 AM. Reason: Grammatical error
    • bored uk
    • By bored uk 20th May 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bored uk
    Hi,
    I have heard through the grapevine about these sites, had a bit of time on my hands so decided to register with MyBuilder as a electrical contractor, reading their profile they do the checks to make sure suitable qualifications are in place when registering, this consists of sending certificates City & Guilds etc. to them via your phone with passport and photo of yourself, I am not sure how they check the certificates as you would have to contact City & Guilds to verify certificate number against the name on the certificate, does any one know how this done? They also ask registration number of governing bodies which is forwarded to them, I assume that anyone with a computer these days can doctor any information on certificates and if not confirmed and checked is a free passport to carry out electrical work without creditation. We assumed that is was criteria that electrical companies carrying out this work could only do so after being a member of a governing body which is then checked via the governing body to make sure you are competent and suitably qualified, this is not the case with this site as further enquiries with |My Builder confirmed that they do not require a electrician to be registered with a governing body (WORRYING). so we proceeded with registration and was successful and started getting leads to which we responded, after numerous times replying to these leads without success we decided to check the trades being shortlisted to which the electrician has to pay ranging from £3.00 upwards, after checking credentials of the electricians responding granted some were affiliated with a governing body, but worryingly some were not they were offering their services to a range of jobs which would require certification under the Part P Scheme Building Control which could not be complied with, one electrician was offering to carry out certification via a 3rd party (not a good idea) as in the event of a danger situation occurring the legalities for the home owner would be quite complex. So we carried on deciding to post our own job on My Builder to see who responds, for a £40.00 electrical job we had 22 so called electrical companies respond granted some were legitimate not bad for My Builder had we responded to 22 electricians at £3.00 a shot, needless to say we did not waste these guys time. The long and short of it is go to google where you will find local tradesmen check the address against the company name with the governing body they are affiliated to get them to come around and give you a face to face quotation.

When these leads are posted on this site for such jobs as electrical the lead description to not put a finer point on it is of a very basic nature, on more in depth jobs it would be impossible to give a quotation based on this information and therefore could be misleading to the customer when they receive the quotation without a site visit again (WORRYING). I found many customers using this site purely to obtain free quotations for work that may not materialise a waste of time for the tradesman especially if they have had to pay for a lead. This service may be of use if My Builder tightens the controls on verification for tradesmen and also control on the reviews process one review gives you 100% feedback this can also be misleading and open to people generating their own feedback.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 20th May 17, 11:14 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    I'll give my builder their do.

Got a gas man to fit a boiler and radiators 5 years ago when I moved in.

Put an ad for an electrician to redo the electrics - had one bloke that said it would take a week as he would have to keep checking it or somethung. Eventually found someone we were happy doing it off it.

Then the other day my mum managed to snap the hinge on her window which I managed to close but it needed fixing. Found a bloke on facebook, agreed a price and a day - messaged to say he couldn't get, could he come a few days later. He never got back in contact. Put it on my builder as I didn't want mum getting cold - same day bloke said he could do it, sent a price through (was £20 more than the facebook bloke mind) but said he would come next day and within 24 hours of putting it up it was fixed.

So it has its uses to get a rough idea of prices as I put a few other jobs up I thought I'd been doing and got people messaging with rough prices
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *34lbs lost* *51lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 13 weeks in -25lbs
    3/9 to NYE 0lbs down / 16lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 24th May 17, 9:21 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    I thought I'd report back on what happened in the end. None of the people I contacted through MyBuilder responded, even though I put a detailed job spec on the site and it was a few thousand pounds worth of work. As I described above, the site passed my details onto 3 other people, one of whom I invited to quote. He did come round and gave a quote but it was lacking in detail and he wanted quite a bit for materials, most of which I was supplying anyway, and a very high fee for removing the building waste (which there wasn't that much of).

In the meantime I had found CheckaTrade and someone I found on there came round and gave an estimate. Two others provided an estimate without coming to view the job. These two were quite high (one very high) so I didn't pursue them. The first one was ok and as they seemed to know what they were talking about it I accepted, subject to clarification of a couple of points. However, despite having accepted their quote in principle, and chasing them, I heard no more from them.

I then tried Trustmark but there was no one very close to where I live. I did nevertheless contact the three nearest. One didn't reply to my message and the other two said I was too far away. By this stage I was getting desperate and so I rang a local builders' merchant who gave me the number of a company who regularly use their business. I have to say I didn't have much hope that this would work but I rang the number anyway and someone came down and had a look. I was impressed with him and when his estimate came it was similar to the earlier one I had accepted and so I gave him the go-ahead. Although the work took a little longer than I had anticipated they did a good job and were polite, friendly, hardworking and reliable and I am going to use them for other jobs in the future.

My experience then was the websites were of no use at all and although I got the job done in the end it was really down to pot luck.
    • sansin
    • By sansin 25th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sansin
    Yes and No
    Sometimes its good but if you get any dispute woth builder and try to post negative feedback on mybuilder, company try to removes that and favors trader as per my observation. It's clear company makes profit from traders and not from customers so they would favor.
    • Myrimiahome
    • By Myrimiahome 11th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Myrimiahome
    Have used mybuilder couple of weeks ago. Ended up hiring a cowboy builder who left with my money and damaged my house. This guy had 80 reviews 99% positive. When contacted Mybuilder.com complaint service, after numerous attempts as these guys don't provide phone numbers to call them back so you have to agree a call time over email and they will, eventually, call. Eventually as I have been left hanging a couple of times. Anyways when called they basically said that they couldn't do anything for me as they take no responsibility over who they advertise on their website. I have challenged them on the 99% positive rating as I couldn't believe i was the only person to whom it happened. They have been very evasive in their response. When asked if they checked the credentials of the builders all they could tell is that he had provided his ID. In other words they dont perform any checks on the people they put you in touch with. When asked if they remove builders from their website if the person is taken to court by customers their answer was that they wouldn't. In brief I would not recommend using this website. There is no bullet proof website but I would advise to use a website where builders are checked (reviews, insurance, ID ect....) even then get them to put you in touch with customers they did a similar job for and check insurance numbers, VAT registration etc... Heavy for small jobs but worth in my view as like in my case you can end up paying a very heavy price when not doing the screening.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

3,846Users online

Martin's Twitter