Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    stamford
    UKDVDR - Rogue Traders ??
    • 13th Jun 06, 4:47 PM
    UKDVDR - Rogue Traders ?? 13th Jun 06 at 4:47 PM
    Complaint is I ordered 2 lots of discs online DVD RWs and CD RWs - when you add second item to online basket it recalculates postage to higher rate - they sent discs but only the DVD's handwritten note explained CD's were out of stock and would not be supplied. There was no automatic credit to cover the goods/postage on item not received. I had to contact them to organise credit and their initial response was

I have checked your order and there is no notes to say you are owed a refund, can you please confirm further, was there a note in your order, if yes what did it say and who was it from

I gave them this info and they refunded the non supplied item but but they will not refund the extra postage charged. Their latest response via online contact form is

"customers are charged the original shipping that has been paid for the order, this is due to goods still being sent we are unable to amend shipping costs on orders already paid"

It's impossible to contact them by phone on 0131 333 1696

Their address is

UKDVDR Ltd
    Unit 6
    Huly Hill Rd
    Edinburgh Interchange
    Newbridge
    Edinburgh EH28 8PH

Im wondering if any barrack room lawyers on this forum could advise if I could take out a Small Claims Court action against them (only available in England & Wales) as their Registered Office is in England

UK DVDR LIMITED
    ROPER YARD, ROPER ROAD
    CANTERBURY
    KENT
    CT2 7EX
    Company No. 04782765
Page 1
  • hjb123
    • 13th Jun 06, 5:40 PM
    • 13th Jun 06, 5:40 PM
    YOu could always try contacting your credit card company and telling them the situation and see if they will do a chargeback for the amount - what sort of amount are you talking about though?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Jun 06, 5:41 PM
    • 14,017 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 13th Jun 06, 5:41 PM
    • 13th Jun 06, 5:41 PM
    It would cost about £50,i think, to take out a claim in the small claims court.
  • stamford
    • 13th Jun 06, 5:47 PM
    • 13th Jun 06, 5:47 PM
    It would cost about 50,i think, to take out a claim in the small claims court.
    by hollydays

I did it a couple of years back vs Homebase costs about 25 but you add in a fair old chunk into your claim to cover your costs etc and when they lose they have to pay up the lot.

It cost Homebase over 300 after they had paid my claim and the bailiffs I put in. If they had seen the light and paid up before I ever took the Small Claims Court action it would have cost them about 100 - still they took the "we are a big company we know best " type attitude
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Jun 06, 5:54 PM
    • 14,017 Posts
    • 9,840 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 13th Jun 06, 5:54 PM
    • 13th Jun 06, 5:54 PM
    Sorry may be £30.I would ask them for another explaination of why they cannot refund the postage,as you need clarification on their original answer.
    Last edited by hollydays; 13-06-2006 at 5:56 PM.
  • stamford
    • 13th Jun 06, 6:01 PM
    • 13th Jun 06, 6:01 PM
    YOu could always try contacting your credit card company and telling them the situation and see if they will do a chargeback for the amount - what sort of amount are you talking about though?
    by hjb123
    Its only a couple of quid but its the principle and the time I have wasted e mailing their ignorant brick wall. They need teaching them a lesson in how to retain customer loyalty
  • stamford
    • 14th Jun 06, 5:36 PM
    • 14th Jun 06, 5:36 PM
    Sorry may be 30.I would ask them for another explaination of why they cannot refund the postage,as you need clarification on their original answer.
    by hollydays
    Yep the Small Claims Courts have a sliding scale of charges its 30 for up to 300
    • Anniek1969
    • By Anniek1969 14th Jun 06, 5:59 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    Anniek1969
    • 14th Jun 06, 5:59 PM
    • 14th Jun 06, 5:59 PM
    I used them for the first time last month and didn't have a problem with them. I thought the postage was the same whatever you bought, I think I paid 5.49 for postage for 100 dvds.

If they have overcharged you postage then they should refund it or contacted you before shipping the goods to tell you that the cd's were out of stock.

I would complain in writing to them and see if they'll then refund it.
  • bargainaddict
    • 14th Jun 06, 6:14 PM
    • 14th Jun 06, 6:14 PM
    They used to have their warehouse near us and we used them all the time and never had a problem You couldn't beat then on price around here. I understand they moved to Scotland a few months ago so maybe this is a teething problem.

I would try phoning them again and ask to speak to the manager or as previous post write to them. Good luck
  • stamford
    They used to have their warehouse near us and we used them all the time and never had a problem You couldn't beat then on price around here. I understand they moved to Scotland a few months ago so maybe this is a teething problem.

I would try phoning them again and ask to speak to the manager or as previous post write to them. Good luck
    by bargainaddict

Thanks but they don't answer their phone and I've spent two weeks exchanging e mails with them where initially they deny overcharging then end up refusing to pay overcharge. So I'm not going to waste anymore time in that direction.

Here's another report about them http://www.ciao.co.uk/UKDVDR__Review_5580883
  • mssjab
    Stamford - perhaps I'm wrong but I'm assuming that you're only talking about a small sum of money here? To take the matter to a County Court over a 'matter of principal' for a small amount seems a little silly to me. You might think it best to write the amount off and put the matter down to experience.

I've, unfortunately, felt it necessary to Summons people in the past - with some of the cases having been contested - and would advise you to satisfy yourself that you have a 'cast iron' and logical case before going down this route - the Courts don't like to think that you're wasting their time and are likely to penalise you if they think that you are (even though you might win the case)

You could try writting to these people giving them the usual 14 days to pay up, or else, to see what reaction you get, but frankly I think that you'll be wasting your time.

Time is a great healer, and in a few days time I'm sure you're be wondering what you got all upset about. In the long run they'll be the losers because you'll be unlikely to buy from them again.
    Last edited by mssjab; 15-06-2006 at 2:19 PM.
  • beebop
    Ive had dealings with this company and ive had great service, tho i pick up from the Edinburgh base. There does seem to be a lot of Polish workers there now ! so it looks like they have upped there game from the local Edinburgh scallies.

lots a luv
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Oct 07, 8:53 PM
    • 30,944 Posts
    • 25,450 Thanks
    custardy
    yup i can confirm they use a lot of poles.
    TBH ive never had problems from when they were in margate till they came up to edinburgh
  • goshdarnit
    Its only a couple of quid but its the principle
    Originally posted by stamford
    I always thought there was a minimum you could sue for in small claims. Anyway, just complain to your credit card company and get the money off them. Its pointless getting stressed for 'principles'.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Oct 07, 11:00 PM
    • 30,944 Posts
    • 25,450 Thanks
    custardy
    Ah So the Poles came from Margate eh

Thousands of Edinburgh Jam(Scallies)Tarts cant get work thanks to Margate.

the border between Blackpool and Margate should now be shut ! next its going to be St Annes that get the best workers.

Uk born and bred have the social they dont need jobs !!!
    Originally posted by beebop
    lol i meant ukdvdr
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 10th Oct 07, 12:00 AM
    • 12,602 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    Poppycat
    I have had a few orders from them and had no problems so far. I also use SVP too and they are great too

• gromoor
    God Knows Where You Where Shopping I Have Dealt With This Company For Years With Never A Compaint Whether You Buy One Pack Two Packs
    One Hundred Or One Thousand The Postage Is The Same 5-49 Suggest You Go Back To Thier Site
    And Check Before You Drop A Bollock
  • BruceyBonus
    I'm having a very similar problem to the OP.

Ordered Saturday (4 items). Paid by debit card. Tuesday, around 11pm received email saying order sent and listed all 4 items. 10am next morning, they emailed saying one item was out of stock so they sent the rest of the order anyway (weird as they told me the entire order was sent?!) They said they would refund the cost of the item but as their postage charge is still the same for 3 items, they would not give any credit for this. This then made the unit price, inc. postage, more expensive.

About an hour later, postie came with the parcel asking for a signature. I told him that I wanted to refuse delivery and could he return to sender. He obliged and scribbled RTS on the package.

Emailed UKDVDR to cancel under DSR who said they could only refund the cost of the items, not the postage. After quoting a paragraph from an OFT leaflet, they still wouldn't budge. Had to threaten to contact Trading Standards before they finally agreed to a full refund.

I'm now waiting for the item to be returned.

What a massive palaver to both me and them. If they had just emailed before sending the goods, none of this would have happened.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 27th Mar 08, 12:05 PM
    • 30,944 Posts
    • 25,450 Thanks
    custardy
    i dont know if theres been some changes at ukdvdr recently
    i popped in the other day to pick up some dvd's,i was passing by anyway
    however they now dont sell anything over the counter without it being pre-ordered
    they used to have a pc on the counter to allow you to do this on site but its no more.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 28th Mar 08, 1:10 AM
    • 10,594 Posts
    • 5,444 Thanks
    deanos
    God Knows Where You Where Shopping I Have Dealt With This Company For Years With Never A Compaint Whether You Buy One Pack Two Packs
    One Hundred Or One Thousand The Postage Is The Same 5-49 Suggest You Go Back To Thier Site
    And Check Before You Drop A Bollock
    Originally posted by gromoor
    Not true i get my carts from them and the postage does vary depending on how many i buy.

You can check yourself, add a set of Epson carts and postage is 2.99+vat, 2 sets are 4.69 +vat, 4+ sets are a maximum charge of 5.95 +vat
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

3,332Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Brexit seems to have caused political anarchy. Huge Labour & Tory splits. People pushing to reneg on a plebiscite. Union potentially split.

• And a fantastic result for @JamesDasaolu too 9.93 (not legal wind). Looks great for Rio @BritAthletics

• Sitting in front of @jamesdesaolu family as 100m about to start. Even im feeling nervous because if it @BritAthletics

• Follow Martin