IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
UKDVDR - Rogue Traders ??
Closed Thread
Views: 9,645
# 1
stamford
Old 13-06-2006, 4:47 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Angry UKDVDR - Rogue Traders ??

Complaint is I ordered 2 lots of discs online DVD RW’s and CD RW’s - when you add second item to online basket it recalculates postage to higher rate - they sent discs but only the DVD's handwritten note explained CD's were out of stock and would not be supplied. There was no automatic credit to cover the goods/postage on item not received. I had to contact them to organise credit and their initial response was

“I have checked your order and there is no notes to say you are owed a refund, can you please confirm further, was there a note in your order, if yes what did it say and who was it from”

I gave them this info and they refunded the non supplied item but but they will not refund the extra postage charged. Their latest response via online contact form is

"customers are charged the original shipping that has been paid for the order, this is due to goods still being sent we are unable to amend shipping costs on orders already paid"

It's impossible to contact them by phone on 0131 333 1696

Their address is

UKDVDR Ltd
Unit 6
Huly Hill Rd
Edinburgh Interchange
Newbridge
Edinburgh EH28 8PH

I’m wondering if any barrack room lawyers on this forum could advise if I could take out a Small Claims Court action against them (only available in England & Wales) as their Registered Office is in England

UK DVDR LIMITED
ROPER YARD, ROPER ROAD
CANTERBURY
KENT
CT2 7EX
Company No. 04782765
The Following User Says Thank You to stamford For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
hjb123
Old 13-06-2006, 5:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

YOu could always try contacting your credit card company and telling them the situation and see if they will do a chargeback for the amount - what sort of amount are you talking about though?
# 3
hollydays
Old 13-06-2006, 5:41 PM

It would cost about £50,i think, to take out a claim in the small claims court.
# 4
stamford
Old 13-06-2006, 5:47 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydays
It would cost about £50,i think, to take out a claim in the small claims court.

I did it a couple of years back vs Homebase costs about £25 but you add in a fair old chunk into your claim to cover your costs etc and when they lose they have to pay up the lot.

It cost Homebase over £300 after they had paid my claim and the bailiffs I put in. If they had seen the light and paid up before I ever took the Small Claims Court action it would have cost them about £100 - still they took the "we are a big company we know best " type attitude
# 5
hollydays
Old 13-06-2006, 5:54 PM

Sorry may be £30.I would ask them for another explaination of why they cannot refund the postage,as you need clarification on their original answer.

Last edited by hollydays; 13-06-2006 at 5:56 PM.
# 6
stamford
Old 13-06-2006, 6:01 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb123
YOu could always try contacting your credit card company and telling them the situation and see if they will do a chargeback for the amount - what sort of amount are you talking about though?
Its only a couple of quid but its the principle and the time I have wasted e mailing their ignorant brick wall. They need teaching them a lesson in how to retain customer loyalty
The Following User Says Thank You to stamford For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
stamford
Old 14-06-2006, 5:36 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydays
Sorry may be £30.I would ask them for another explaination of why they cannot refund the postage,as you need clarification on their original answer.
Yep the Small Claims Courts have a sliding scale of charges its £30 for up to £300
# 8
Anniek1969
Old 14-06-2006, 5:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used them for the first time last month and didn't have a problem with them. I thought the postage was the same whatever you bought, I think I paid £5.49 for postage for 100 dvds.

If they have overcharged you postage then they should refund it or contacted you before shipping the goods to tell you that the cd's were out of stock.

I would complain in writing to them and see if they'll then refund it.
# 9
bargainaddict
Old 14-06-2006, 6:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They used to have their warehouse near us and we used them all the time and never had a problem You couldn't beat then on price around here. I understand they moved to Scotland a few months ago so maybe this is a teething problem.

I would try phoning them again and ask to speak to the manager or as previous post write to them. Good luck
# 10
stamford
Old 14-06-2006, 9:57 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainaddict
They used to have their warehouse near us and we used them all the time and never had a problem You couldn't beat then on price around here. I understand they moved to Scotland a few months ago so maybe this is a teething problem.

I would try phoning them again and ask to speak to the manager or as previous post write to them. Good luck

Thanks but they don't answer their phone and I've spent two weeks exchanging e mails with them where initially they deny overcharging then end up refusing to pay overcharge. So I'm not going to waste anymore time in that direction.

Here's another report about them http://www.ciao.co.uk/UKDVDR__Review_5580883
# 11
mssjab
Old 15-06-2006, 2:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Stamford - perhaps I'm wrong but I'm assuming that you're only talking about a small sum of money here? To take the matter to a County Court over a 'matter of principal' for a small amount seems a little silly to me. You might think it best to write the amount off and put the matter down to experience.

I've, unfortunately, felt it necessary to Summons people in the past - with some of the cases having been contested - and would advise you to satisfy yourself that you have a 'cast iron' and logical case before going down this route - the Courts don't like to think that you're wasting their time and are likely to penalise you if they think that you are (even though you might win the case)

You could try writting to these people giving them the usual 14 days to pay up, or else, to see what reaction you get, but frankly I think that you'll be wasting your time.

Time is a great healer, and in a few days time I'm sure you're be wondering what you got all upset about. In the long run they'll be the losers because you'll be unlikely to buy from them again.

Last edited by mssjab; 15-06-2006 at 2:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mssjab For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
beebop
Old 09-10-2007, 8:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ive had dealings with this company and ive had great service, tho i pick up from the Edinburgh base. There does seem to be a lot of Polish workers there now ! so it looks like they have upped there game from the local Edinburgh scallies.

lots a luv
# 13
custardy
Old 09-10-2007, 8:53 PM

yup i can confirm they use a lot of poles.
TBH ive never had problems from when they were in margate till they came up to edinburgh
# 14
goshdarnit
Old 09-10-2007, 10:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Its only a couple of quid but its the principle
I always thought there was a minimum you could sue for in small claims. Anyway, just complain to your credit card company and get the money off them. Its pointless getting stressed for 'principles'.
# 15
custardy
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebop View Post
Ah So the Poles came from Margate eh

Thousands of Edinburgh Jam(Scallies)Tarts cant get work thanks to Margate.

the border between Blackpool and Margate should now be shut ! next its going to be St Annes that get the best workers.

Uk born and bred have the social they dont need jobs !!!
lol i meant ukdvdr
# 16
Poppycat
Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 AM

I have had a few orders from them and had no problems so far. I also use SVP too and they are great too

# 17
gromoor
Old 11-01-2008, 6:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Reply

God Knows Where You Where Shopping I Have Dealt With This Company For Years With Never A Compaint Whether You Buy One Pack Two Packs
One Hundred Or One Thousand The Postage Is The Same £5-49 Suggest You Go Back To Thier Site
And Check Before You Drop A Bollock
# 18
BruceyBonus
Old 27-03-2008, 9:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm having a very similar problem to the OP.

Ordered Saturday (4 items). Paid by debit card. Tuesday, around 11pm received email saying order sent and listed all 4 items. 10am next morning, they emailed saying one item was out of stock so they sent the rest of the order anyway (weird as they told me the entire order was sent?!) They said they would refund the cost of the item but as their postage charge is still the same for 3 items, they would not give any credit for this. This then made the unit price, inc. postage, more expensive.

About an hour later, postie came with the parcel asking for a signature. I told him that I wanted to refuse delivery and could he return to sender. He obliged and scribbled RTS on the package.

Emailed UKDVDR to cancel under DSR who said they could only refund the cost of the items, not the postage. After quoting a paragraph from an OFT leaflet, they still wouldn't budge. Had to threaten to contact Trading Standards before they finally agreed to a full refund.

I'm now waiting for the item to be returned.

What a massive palaver to both me and them. If they had just emailed before sending the goods, none of this would have happened.
# 19
custardy
Old 27-03-2008, 12:05 PM

i dont know if theres been some changes at ukdvdr recently
i popped in the other day to pick up some dvd's,i was passing by anyway
however they now dont sell anything over the counter without it being pre-ordered
they used to have a pc on the counter to allow you to do this on site but its no more.
# 20
deanos
Old 28-03-2008, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromoor View Post
God Knows Where You Where Shopping I Have Dealt With This Company For Years With Never A Compaint Whether You Buy One Pack Two Packs
One Hundred Or One Thousand The Postage Is The Same £5-49 Suggest You Go Back To Thier Site
And Check Before You Drop A Bollock
Not true i get my carts from them and the postage does vary depending on how many i buy.

You can check yourself, add a set of Epson carts and postage is £2.99+vat, 2 sets are £4.69 +vat, 4+ sets are a maximum charge of £5.95 +vat
Closed Thread