IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Best supermarket for turkey.
Views: 7,634
# 1
nicebiscuits
Old 30-11-2009, 11:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Best supermarket for turkey.

Hello, I'm going to buy a frozen turkey this year. Can anyone recommend a supermarket to buy it from. The taste is the most important thing for me but this does need to be balanced by a reasonable price, I just can't afford a free range turkey!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
fifi63
Old 30-11-2009, 5:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Have bought mine from Aldi for the past 5 years. Only 8.99 for between 4 and 5kg bird. It has always been lovely and moist. I do give it about 4 hours, wrapped in foil at about 180 degrees. I like to make a sausagemeat and onion stuffing which I stuff the breast cavity with and I place half an onion in the cavity at the other end!
# 3
grannytwice
Old 30-11-2009, 6:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

Last year we had a bernard methews golden norfolk turkey it was 6kg and cost about 16 i roasted it with an onion and an apple inside the cavity and rubbed the outside of the bird with olive oil and salt and pepper, did my stuffing seperatley as i usually cook the turkey on xmas eve so there's one less thing to stess about on xmas day i think the turkeys are more expensive this year but i would buy that one again as it was moist and delish and i thought it was good value,
# 4
kippers
Old 01-12-2009, 6:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi63 View Post
Have bought mine from Aldi for the past 5 years. Only 8.99 for between 4 and 5kg bird. It has always been lovely and moist. I do give it about 4 hours, wrapped in foil at about 180 degrees. I like to make a sausagemeat and onion stuffing which I stuff the breast cavity with and I place half an onion in the cavity at the other end!
I have the frozen turkey crown form Aldi each year and it's lovely. I saw some last night when i went but they sell out quick so if you decide to buy one, i'd go to buy it pretty quick
# 5
VIVA-BOOTS
Old 01-12-2009, 6:52 AM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

Buy it from your butchers, they're far more juicy and tasty.
# 6
nicebiscuits
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the replies and the cooking tips. I did buy a Tesco frozen turkey last year and it wasn't very nice. It's good to have some recommendations.
# 7
dizziblonde
Old 01-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I'm wondering when to get ours - my mum always bought a frozen one before Xmas and left it to defrost until the day itself - but I can't figure out when to buy it! (Can't leave it in the freezer as it's the world's smallest) First time we're ever trying cooking Xmas lunch ourselves - and I'm scared we won't have any turkeys left by the time we get to buy it if we leave it too late!
# 8
victory
Old 01-12-2009, 1:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You will dizzie because at xmas eve if you can be brave enough they sell them 1/2 price loads of them in every supermarket, turkey crown from Aldi frozen, hoping it will be moist as have not bought a frozen one before always fresh and always on xmas eve
[QUOTE=misspiggy;51404641]I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory
# 9
Confuzzled
Old 01-12-2009, 2:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

i haven't bought a turkey in some years so i cant' answer the op's question however being american let's just say i've cooked a fair few turkeys in my day!

best way to get good results even from a cheaper brand of turkey is to use a knife or pair of scissors to snip just the skin in two places along each breast and then one on the thigh each side and the legs each side. then carefully slip a finger in to loosen the skin from the meat. carefully put some butter in this newly formed pocket (you can also stuff in rosemary, garlic cloves etc)

now, that alone will help your turkey taste moist and lovely but the real tip is to cook your turkey breast side DOWN for all but the last hour or so of cooking (half hour if it's a small bird) obviously you'll want it breast side up when it comes to taking the foil off to brown the bird anyway but cooking it upside down allows the birds own juices to constanly trickle down into the breast meat which tends to be drier.

cooking it this way has always given me a gorgeous, juicy turkey breast and actually leaves the dark meat less greasy which is nice as it's 'juicy' enough to begin with!

the only real difficulty can be flipping the bird (sorry couldn't resist!) what i do is to take a long handle fork/prong (like for bbq) and usually a knife with the pronged end (though two big forks would probably be safer!), i stick one in either end and get someone else with a hot pad to help me turn it over and keep the pan from moving. don't do it too quickly or the hot juices will splash up on you when you put the bird back in the pan.

it's a bit of a palaver but you only have to do it once during cooking and it's soooo worth the results!

happy cooking!
# 10
louisaL
Old 01-12-2009, 2:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i was just about to tell you about 'my fantastic find' aldi turkey crown for 8.99 but looks like others have got in their first LOL (i just noticed it whilst doing my shop on sat)