Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catford
    • By catford 25th Nov 09, 11:05 AM
    • 1,091Posts
    • 87Thanks
    catford
    Bad builder forum
    • 25th Nov 09, 11:05 AM
    Bad builder forum 25th Nov 09 at 11:05 AM
    Is there a site or forum anywhere to expose and discuss poor builders and warn others off ?
    I am in the process of having a loft conversion done and it's a bl**dy nightmare.
    I would love to find out the truth about my builders reputation...not their version of it.:rolleyes:
Page 3
    • RosesInTheHospital
    • By RosesInTheHospital 21st Jun 16, 2:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RosesInTheHospital
    BGPS South East Ltd
    A very dis-organised and unprofessional company. Dealt only with Les Cloughly (father of the duo) but later found out Martin Cloughly actually owned the company (when on the only occasion I had the misfortune to see him, Martin said he would 'Fold' the business so they wouldn't complete the job)
    Agreed T&Cs including 2 week timescale. We paid 80% of the cost of the job within the first 10 days and they did a day here and there (not full days though) - it took them 6 weeks to decide they were not going to finish.
    They left a long list of outstanding items to supply as well as fit/build.
    They claimed we had/were interfering by asking questions when actually we were at work and they would just not turn up for days on end.
    They Lied about Building Control visits.
    They didn't complete the work to the standard of agreed contract.
    They verbally insulted and bullied us and then blamed everyone else but themselves for why the works were not being completed.
    They kept on banging on the same drum for two weeks that they couldn't get a Chippie in when they could have completed the work themselves - it was for fitting door jams/frames/skirting
    They asked for part of the last installment to be paid before the works were complete to 'keep the ball rolling' then once paid, they decided it was for work already undertaken and claimed we owed for 'extras' which were actually already included in the written contract.
    The insulting emails and texts and records of the conversations are my proof of the above.
    We had to then incur further costs to get the job done in order for Building Control to pass.
    Les and Martin Cloughley of BGPS South East Ltd should be AVOIDED at all costs!
    • Blunderbelles
    • By Blunderbelles 21st Jun 16, 6:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blunderbelles
    Russell Gaskell Tudor Construction LTD, works Manchester and Chorlton
    Hi,
    I want to give an informed review of my experience with this builder for anyone who might come across him given he doesn't have a web presence.

First, I will give him credit that he at least knows how to construct an extension - it is a solid build - and he spotted things that the structural architect missed. He has tried to make amends by apologising for taking so long with the work and we negotiated a reduction in cost.

My issues are related to the finish: the standard of work is sloppy and rushed, often not properly finished (e.g. doesn't sand or join skirting boards, didn't seal one of the outside windows or put edges on the window ledge, nothing in the house has been completed to the standard where it can just be painted - work has had to be redone / made good by electricians, joiners and decorator).

Timescales were awful: He decided to slot us in between jobs so a job we were told would take 3 weeks took over 12. He'd say it was all hands on deck to get work done and there would be 2 people there for less than 2 hours. This has a knock-on effect with other contractors - he made us source a plumber because he couldn't find one to do the work.

Although quick to apologise, he's been aggressive and working with him is a rollercoaster and full of drama. For example, two subcontractors have complained to us about not being paid, saying money is being withheld because we're not happy. We have ended up in the middle of all sorts of dramas that are simply about him wanting to avoid paying people and blaming it on us.

He's clearly got an eye for how to make a building work and he knows the construction side of things but be warned. I will never do construction work with a company that doesn't have someone dedicated to project managing and someone who is a qualified joiner etc. It may be more expensive but I'm sure it would be much, much less stressful....
    Last edited by Blunderbelles; 22-06-2016 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Removed repetition.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 22nd Jun 16, 5:06 AM
    • 4,313 Posts
    • 6,008 Thanks
    deannatrois
    General builders - ask for 2 or 3 examples of previous work, visit them.
    New Build Homes - employ snagging firm before final monies paid.

Shouldn't have to do these things but can save many of the problems reported here.

Even without the above, if a builder can start quickly, ask yourself why they aren't busy.
    • edward jones
    • By edward jones 5th Aug 16, 10:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    edward jones
    New house in LUND near Diffield East Yorkshire
    We have always wanted to live in the beautiful village of Lund, so we made a day of it and looked at three new houses being built by a local builder in the village; my wife brought a friend who knows the area well as he was a policeman in the east riding for many years. We looked at the houses and retired to the pub in the village for lunch, where we discussed the pros and cons of a possible purchase. We were overheard by a couple of ladies who knew the wife’s friend who advised against any purchase from that builder, they went on to explain the builder had changed his company name from REEF HOMES as there had been a lot of legal action regarding several homes and or buildings he and his previous company had been involved in.
    They gave us a name of a couple living in a nearby village and advised we contact them; we did by phone through our friend and his contacts, they gave us a solicitor to contact. They also advised to do some digging with the local planning department before we made up our minds on any of the builders properties. We retired to the restaurant where we were served by a very nice person who overheard our conversation, they (as they served our meal) advised (in a low voice) not to buy from that builder as previous purchasers had complained about extreme shoddy and dangerous workmanship, who then had to resort the legal action, as Mr Walker refused to put the deficits right hiding behind several lawyers and solicitors, changing his Ltd company to dodge his responsibilities.
    We were now intrigued and decided to look into this and contact the people advised by my wife’s friend and previous customer.
    We phoned the solicitor who gave us a name of a Surveyor who in turn gave us another surveyor who worked with Mr Walker who had legal action taken against him because of the REEF HOMES builder, who we now know definitely as a Mr J Walker. All of the above gave sound advice – “do not buy any house from this builder” - we thanked the people we contacted and accepted their advice.
    We still are hoping one day to live in Lund but we will now look to an existing house rather than a new one.
    We are not saying not to buy any of these three houses, we are saying we are not and would never take a chance with so much adverse advice for so much money.
    A home buyer
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 6th Aug 16, 2:56 PM
    • 14,582 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    hollydays
    Why would you go to all this trouble-you'd just keep well clear. You're making it sound like a case for hercule poirot.

It's looking to me like you've got a personal interest ..
    A competitor of the person you name, in some way?

Odd that you specifically say" we'll buy an existing house rather than a new build"..
    I know these kind of large expensive 'executive ' properties could possibly create some jealousy , particularly with the low cost housing on that road being quite close.
    Last edited by hollydays; 06-08-2016 at 9:17 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Aug 16, 4:27 PM
    • 27,710 Posts
    • 17,508 Thanks
    DCFC79
    New house in LUND near Diffield East Yorkshire
    We have always wanted to live in the beautiful village of Lund, so we made a day of it and looked at three new houses being built by a local builder in the village; my wife brought a friend who knows the area well as he was a policeman in the east riding for many years. We looked at the houses and retired to the pub in the village for lunch, where we discussed the pros and cons of a possible purchase. We were overheard by a couple of ladies who knew the wife’s friend who advised against any purchase from that builder, they went on to explain the builder had changed his company name from REEF HOMES as there had been a lot of legal action regarding several homes and or buildings he and his previous company had been involved in.
    They gave us a name of a couple living in a nearby village and advised we contact them; we did by phone through our friend and his contacts, they gave us a solicitor to contact. They also advised to do some digging with the local planning department before we made up our minds on any of the builders properties. We retired to the restaurant where we were served by a very nice person who overheard our conversation, they (as they served our meal) advised (in a low voice) not to buy from that builder as previous purchasers had complained about extreme shoddy and dangerous workmanship, who then had to resort the legal action, as Mr Walker refused to put the deficits right hiding behind several lawyers and solicitors, changing his Ltd company to dodge his responsibilities.
    We were now intrigued and decided to look into this and contact the people advised by my wife’s friend and previous customer.
    We phoned the solicitor who gave us a name of a Surveyor who in turn gave us another surveyor who worked with Mr Walker who had legal action taken against him because of the REEF HOMES builder, who we now know definitely as a Mr J Walker. All of the above gave sound advice – “do not buy any house from this builder” - we thanked the people we contacted and accepted their advice.
    We still are hoping one day to live in Lund but we will now look to an existing house rather than a new one.
    We are not saying not to buy any of these three houses, we are saying we are not and would never take a chance with so much adverse advice for so much money.
    A home buyer
    Originally posted by edward jones
    Where is Lund then ?
    Je Suis Charlie
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 7th Aug 16, 3:23 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    JEN22
    Wow how do we trust any traders?
    • RosesInTheHospital
    • By RosesInTheHospital 9th Aug 16, 2:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RosesInTheHospital
    UPDATE on BGPS South East Ltd
    Just a quick update, Trading Standards and their Buy with Confidence Scheme reviewed the comments I gave on BGPS and agreed my feedback was genuine so it has been published on their site! I hope anyone thinking of using them reads the feedback in order to make a balanced decision on whether to trust this company.....
    • RosesInTheHospital
    • By RosesInTheHospital 17th Oct 16, 7:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RosesInTheHospital
    Update on Les & Martin Cloughley
    Well... BGPS Ltd closed down after my factual review was published by Trading Standards and surprise surprise - another company has now been formed. So... another warning to anyone who has dealings with Les & Martin Cloughley of the newly formed Probuild Limited.. AVOID!!!
    • Jetglo77
    • By Jetglo77 26th Nov 16, 3:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jetglo77
    Roman Garage Doors
    Scenario
    This was regarding the installation of an electronic garage door fitted by 3 men from this company. They were fully aware of various issues when they left the property on the date of installation that they needed to return and rectify. We even have this in writing from them. However, after 3 weeks and several ignored phone calls, I have been prompted to share my experience in order to provide a warning to others about this company.

So, please be aware of this company. Foolishly, we paid them upfront, giving them no personal incentive to return.

Issues:
    • Unaddressed damage to property
    • Work not carried out to a professional standard
    • Poor customer service

What occurred:
    • Firstly, they left an unsightly 8”x5”x1” hole in our porch wall, exposing brickwork and broken plaster, which they caused when installing an electric garage door. This has not been repaired.
    • Secondly, there was an electrical fault which caused the garage door to not function correctly – which they were aware of upon installation. However, this fault has since worked itself out – nevertheless, they are not aware of this, and for all they know, it remains in a state of malfunction.

Name and address of company given:
    Roman Garage Doors (Part of the Vecelli Home Improvements Group)
    Crane Yard,
    Drakes Lane Industrial Estate,
    Drakes Lane,
    Boreham,
    Essex
    CM3 3BE
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 26th Nov 16, 5:19 PM
    • 8,432 Posts
    • 6,074 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Scenario
    This was regarding the installation of an electronic garage door fitted by 3 men from this company. They were fully aware of various issues when they left the property on the date of installation that they needed to return and rectify. We even have this in writing from them. However, after 3 weeks and several ignored phone calls, I have been prompted to share my experience in order to provide a warning to others about this company.

So, please be aware of this company. Foolishly, we paid them upfront, giving them no personal incentive to return.

Issues:
    • Unaddressed damage to property
    • Work not carried out to a professional standard
    • Poor customer service

What occurred:
    • Firstly, they left an unsightly 8”x5”x1” hole in our porch wall, exposing brickwork and broken plaster, which they caused when installing an electric garage door. This has not been repaired.
    • Secondly, there was an electrical fault which caused the garage door to not function correctly – which they were aware of upon installation. However, this fault has since worked itself out – nevertheless, they are not aware of this, and for all they know, it remains in a state of malfunction.

Name and address of company given:
    Roman Garage Doors (Part of the Vecelli Home Improvements Group)
    Crane Yard,
    Drakes Lane Industrial Estate,
    Drakes Lane,
    Boreham,
    Essex
    CM3 3BE
    Originally posted by Jetglo77
    They are the successors to Essati, a company which would only accept cash payment for its services!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,067Posts Today

7,166Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin