Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Surfer
    • By Surfer 24th Nov 09, 10:31 AM
    • 322Posts
    • 80Thanks
    Surfer
    Help! What is the amount the law says you need to live on?
    • 24th Nov 09, 10:31 AM
    Help! What is the amount the law says you need to live on? 24th Nov 09 at 10:31 AM
    Due to posts which appear to attack rather than answer the question I have removed the post. Thanks to those who took the time to read the post and pass on relevant information.
    Last edited by Surfer; 25-11-2009 at 8:44 AM. Reason: Replies not relevant to the question asked!
Page 1
    • merlin68
    • By merlin68 24th Nov 09, 1:19 PM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    merlin68
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:19 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:19 PM
    Sounds about right as your partner works. YOu won't get council tax on that income anyway.
    • Surfer
    • By Surfer 24th Nov 09, 1:29 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Surfer
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:29 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:29 PM
    Not relevant
    Last edited by Surfer; 25-11-2009 at 8:38 AM. Reason: Edited
  • karenx
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:34 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:34 PM
    Do you need a car?? Would save you on petrol, insurance, road tax etc?
    • Surfer
    • By Surfer 24th Nov 09, 1:43 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Surfer
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:43 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:43 PM
    We have thought of selling it but my wife starts work between 5:20 am and 6 am so the car is essential as there is no public transport at that time and her work is nearly 15 miles away from our home. In addition the car is on HP and even if we were able to sell it ther would be a deficit of nearly 2000. It is a 1.8 auto as I cannot drive a manual.
    Last edited by Surfer; 25-11-2009 at 8:45 AM. Reason: Update
  • karenx
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:46 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 1:46 PM
    Anyway to cut back on petrol? Make sure your tyres are always correctly pumped up etc? Can you sell it and get a cheaper car?
  • dmg24
    • 24th Nov 09, 2:18 PM
    If there are only two of you, you could half your food bill. Have a look at the Old Style board.

Your rent is low, I doubt a caravan would be much cheaper.
    • Kimitatsu
    • By Kimitatsu 24th Nov 09, 2:18 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 7,834 Thanks
    Kimitatsu
    If you go to www.entitledto.co.uk that is the same calculator that local govt departments use. Put in all of the figures and see what it comes up with - it may be you are not claiming all that you are entitled to but the council is assuming that you do!
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
    • Surfer
    • By Surfer 24th Nov 09, 2:39 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Surfer
    • 24th Nov 09, 2:39 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 2:39 PM
    Not relevant to original question
    Last edited by Surfer; 25-11-2009 at 8:39 AM. Reason: Edited
  • dmg24
    You are still liable for council tax in a caravan.
  • viktory
    Fuel alone for the car costs 35 per week
    Originally posted by Surfer
    That is one hell of a lot of money - my husband spends 40 a week. This covers travel to and from work (40 miles a day) plus trips out at the weekend. He drives a Ford Focus 1.6. we are looking to downgrade to a diesel Fiesta Climate as it will save immensely on fuel and tax. Perhaps you should consider doing the same.
  • KimYeovil
    I am confused. Your income is about 1361 and your rent is about 300.

You can not live on 1000 per month?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 24th Nov 09, 7:34 PM
    • 9,536 Posts
    • 6,249 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I think Kim has it spot on - in your original question you ask on what the government says a couple need to live on...I believe that is around the 100 mark per week after rent...as you have more than double that you will not be entitled to any extra benefits.
    Can you live in the caravan all year round?
    You will still need to add on council tax

Q. I live on a caravan site, but have to move out when the site closes during winter. Do I still have to pay Council Tax for my caravan?
    A. You can claim an exemption from Council Tax for the caravan during the period that you are not allowed to live in it. You must tell us where you are residing during this time as the Council Tax payable for your temporary address may be affected
  • bestpud
    That is one hell of a lot of money - my husband spends 40 a week. This covers travel to and from work (40 miles a day) plus trips out at the weekend. He drives a Ford Focus 1.6. we are looking to downgrade to a diesel Fiesta Climate as it will save immensely on fuel and tax. Perhaps you should consider doing the same.
    Originally posted by viktory
    I was thinking that!

I drive 250ish miles a week on average and only put in about 33 of petrol. That's in a lot of separate journeys too so not the most economical way to drive.

What car do you have OP?

Do have a look around the boards as there is some great cost cutting information on here and it's not all painful either!
  • NASA
    .....we have had five different assessments in the space of a year although our income has not changed much except that I now get 5.06 per week pension.
    Originally posted by Surfer
    If you earn one penny more/less than previously then a new assessment gets done. Some people would complain over a penny.
    • bigbill
    • By bigbill 24th Nov 09, 8:12 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    bigbill
    You would not get the disability premium if you are indeed over 60?

The amount ignored is your DLA etc.

A pensioner couple should get 198+ ignored + 20 ignored due to the DLA.
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 24th Nov 09, 10:32 PM
    • 13,339 Posts
    • 20,352 Thanks
    Kimberley
    60 a week on groceries for a couple? I have three children and me makes 4 and I only spend around 35-40 a week. You need to find ways to cut your shopping bill.
    Australia 2016
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 24th Nov 09, 11:16 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 2,367 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    Your wife might just be entitled to working tax credit especially if you get higher rate care DLA, so could be worth applying.

You could also post your statement of affairs on the debt free wannabee board - they are the experts on budgeting and reducing costs.
  • LizzieS
    After paying rent, food and petrol, you still have 452pm to pay utilities, council tax, insurances, car tax & tv license.

Unless you are living in an extremely large house, it should be manageable even on your choice of spending (you could save on that food bill, says me, lol).

Have you advertised for a house swap to a smaller property?
    • Surfer
    • By Surfer 25th Nov 09, 9:00 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Surfer
    Please note that the question asked was about "What is the amount the law say you should live one" and not about our car, rent, food or anything else although there were some helpful answers.
    We cannot understand the way it is calculated and are NOT disputing the amount at this stage. We also asked for clarification on some points and how it is calculated but it seems that only one or two posters answered our question. Do people ever read through a post properly before hitting the "send" button?
    BTW the were one or two totally incorrect answers given and I know they were incorrect as we have first hand experience.
    Those that were helpful know who you are and thanks for the input. I don't think I will be bothering with MSE again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,117Users online

Martin's Twitter