Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > Best way of carrying a disabled person upstairs (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Best way of carrying a disabled person upstairs
Closed Thread
Views: 5,978
# 1
onejontwo
Old 22-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Best way of carrying a disabled person upstairs

As we are waiting for a means test, would any body know of the safest and easiest way to carry a disabled 9 stone 70+ year old person upstairs? We are looking to a stairlift in the near future but in the meantime we need to get him upstairs for bathing etc.
# 2
Errata
Old 22-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I honestly wouldn't carry a 70+ year old person upstairs or downstairs - too much potential for an accident for the person being carried and the person doing the carrying.
Is there an older persons day centre near you that the 70 year old could go to that offers a bathing service?
.....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Errata For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Lorne
Old 22-11-2009, 9:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There is no safe way, washing down at the sink and not using the stairs or using a bathing service is definitely the safe option.
Thanks for the advice Martin!
Member no. 920 - Proud to be dealing with our debts
The Following User Says Thank You to Lorne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mum-of-3
Old 22-11-2009, 10:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejontwo View Post
As we are waiting for a means test, would any body know of the safest and easiest way to carry a disabled 9 stone 70+ year old person upstairs? We are looking to a stairlift in the near future but in the meantime we need to get him upstairs for bathing etc.
If you have applied for a disability grant this should have been refered to from an occupational therapist. I have an occupational therapist who within a week or so of me coming out of hospital contacted a district nurse to sort me out a hospital bed for downstairs, this was all sorted within 2 weeks and I spent the time in between on the sofa.
I have all my bathing needs sorted downstairs by use of a bed bath which either my husband or daughter assist with. I get to go to hydro therapy weekly so have a proper shower there. An occupational therapist can provide aids for bathing downstairs too. My bed is electric so for time when I am unable to sit up I can use this in order to get myself seated up in order to be washed.

Speak to occupational therapist or district nurse regarding more help. Also my carers have an inflatable sink they use to wash my hair as I am unable to bed my neck, these are available quite cheaply and really help as I can lie on the sofa or bed and have it done!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mum-of-3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
yully
Old 23-11-2009, 2:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Please don't try. I used to me a nurse until I injured my back and lifting is just so dangerous for both yourself and the person you're lifting - that's not even taking the stairs into account. Whilst you're waiting you can have a really good wash from using a bowl and a few well placed towels, if you get the position right you can also get the hair washed. The likelyhood is the first few times you'll also end up soaked but you'll find a way but please don't try the stairs xx
The Following User Says Thank You to yully For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Ruby Moon
Old 23-11-2009, 6:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Don't be lifting the 70 year old up stairs even if they are ok about it. You need to think of their dignity.
If its that desperate then you get a nurse in or wash in front of the fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby Moon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
PasturesNew
Old 23-11-2009, 6:20 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hose them down in the garden.

Would one of these solve the problem? : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7375486.stm

My mum (in her 80s) goes up and down the stairs on her bum, one step at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Penny-Pincher!!
Old 24-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Don't take him upstairs if possible. Get a bed and living space downstairs and wash/dress him there.

Before my stirlift was fitted 3 years ago (I am 35) I lived downstairs and slept on the sofa. I am just over 9 stone and 5 foot 10...OH is 6 foot and weighs 14 stone, so he could if needed carry me up but we were told by OT that it would not be advisable.

OH went on a lifting course sponsored by the OT and SS.

This should all be part of a care package through SS and OT etc and the nurses/caring staff would do all the cleaning/caring side to help you out.

HTH

PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
The Following User Says Thank You to Penny-Pincher!! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread