Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Better Off Calculation - can someone help? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Better Off Calculation - can someone help?
Closed Thread
Views: 7,906
# 1
ShaShaSha
Old 20-11-2009, 11:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Better Off Calculation - can someone help?

Hi there, I have looked online but cannot find a better off calculator for benefits. We have been advised that my partner is eligible for ESA, which he has claimed for but they have said it would be better if we went to see citizens advice to get a better off calculation done and we cant get there in the next week or so due to illness, can anyone help us figure out if we should stay on the benefits we are on or not?

Here is out circumstances:

Me (23 yrs): I get higher rate car & mobility DLA, Incapacity long-term, Tax credits & child benefit for daughter under 1 year

My partner (28 yrs): lower rate care & mobility DLA, carers allowance (for caring for me)

And we have a joint income support claim

The jobcentre said something about it taking us over threshold for Housing Benefit if he claimed ESA contribution based, so we might be worse off in the end.

Am I right in saying we would lose income support, I would remain on Incapacity and my partner would recieve ESA which would be 64.30 with carers premium of 29.50 and if placed in work focused group 25.50

totalling to 119.00?? does this sound right? At the moment we get 20 income support each week for both of us.

Also, how would this affect our hosuing benefit? hope someone can help!
Yes im disabled....yes I can do things you cant....but you can do things I cant so were equal!
# 2
DX2
Old 20-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Have you tried www.entitledto.co.uk
# 3
NASA
Old 20-11-2009, 11:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to NASA

As said in a previous thread, you will not get a disability premium on ESA, if you are only getting a 20 top-up of Income Support on top of what you get on other benefits then ESA(IR) will be wiped out on ESA for at least the first 13 weeks. After that there is the potential that ESA(IR) will come into payment if the medical ends up deciding that the sickness is at a level where it impairs on ability to look for work.

Just my opinion based on the limited details available.
# 4
jennyg1980
Old 20-11-2009, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Directgov have also just launched their own version of the Better Off Calculator. Just type "DirectGov Benefits Adviser" into Google and you will soon find it. (Sorry, this site isn't letting me post links as I'm a new user!!)

If not you can always make an appointment at your local Jobcentre for a Better Off Calulation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jennyg1980 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
DX2
Old 20-11-2009, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyg1980 View Post
Directgov have also just launched their own version of the Better Off Calculator. Just type "DirectGov Benefits Adviser" into Google and you will soon find it. (Sorry, this site isn't letting me post links as I'm a new user!!)

If not you can always make an appointment at your local Jobcentre for a Better Off Calulation.
https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov...e/portal/ba/lp

Thank you jenny
The Following User Says Thank You to DX2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ShaShaSha
Old 21-11-2009, 4:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA View Post
As said in a previous thread, you will not get a disability premium on ESA, if you are only getting a 20 top-up of Income Support on top of what you get on other benefits then ESA(IR) will be wiped out on ESA for at least the first 13 weeks. After that there is the potential that ESA(IR) will come into payment if the medical ends up deciding that the sickness is at a level where it impairs on ability to look for work.

Just my opinion based on the limited details available.
I didnt mention disability premium?
Yes im disabled....yes I can do things you cant....but you can do things I cant so were equal!
# 7
KimYeovil
Old 21-11-2009, 4:12 PM

You will be much better off in work. Whether you will have more money or not does not matter. Some things in life are worth paying for.
The Following User Says Thank You to KimYeovil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
xXMessedUpXx
Old 21-11-2009, 7:21 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimYeovil View Post
You will be much better off in work. Whether you will have more money or not does not matter. Some things in life are worth paying for.
As true as that is, you need to be capable of work in order to be able to work...
"Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
weight lost: 14lbs
Closed Thread