IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Mega strong weed killer?
Closed Thread
Views: 118,317
# 1
perc
Old 07-06-2006, 6:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Question Mega strong weed killer?

Hi what is the strongest weed killer you can buy and where can you get it from. Looking to kill weeds on my drive - thanks
# 2
lil_me
Old 08-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to lil_me

http://www.ahsdirect.co.uk/product/249/82

Had some from there before, very good
# 3
coolagarry
Old 12-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm afraid you may well be disappointed. I used to use 'Pathclear' and it killed everything it touched. I find that their new stuff isn't anything like as strong... I've no doubt it's another EU Directive that has taken out the HARMFUL (meaning useful) part of the product.. Like they got rid of creosote etc.
I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
# 4
heatherw_01
Old 12-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Weedol never fails me
I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
# 5
scoot1on1
Old 12-06-2006, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sodium Chlorate is the best, will keep the weeds dead for a very long time, and anything else that gets in its way also I may add . Try your local garden centre as they can usually get larger containers.
These are the Good 'ol Days just wait and see!
# 6
owey
Old 12-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Try DOFF 500g Sodium Chlorate Weedkiller from poundland, it kills everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to owey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
beefster
Old 12-06-2006, 1:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Whats the recommended coverage (grammes per meter squared) for sodium chloride. Trying to work out how much I need??
I save so I can spend.
# 8
owey
Old 12-06-2006, 1:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefster
Whats the recommended coverage (grammes per meter squared) for sodium chloride. Trying to work out how much I need??
with the DOFF from Poundland, for shallow roots use about 250g in 10lts over 20 sq yards.
For deep roots use about 270g in 5lts over 6sq yards.
# 9
GreenEyedGirl
Old 12-06-2006, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Please consider the Money Saving Merits of pulling them up by hand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenEyedGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
in my wellies
Old 12-06-2006, 9:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hot sun will scorch them off or a vegetable knife does the trick.

Better for the environment too!
# 11
gromituk
Old 13-06-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolagarry
I've no doubt it's another EU Directive that has taken out the HARMFUL (meaning useful) part of the product.. Like they got rid of creosote etc.
Which would you prefer - dead weeds or safe drinking water? As others have said, there's nothing like a good bit of old-fashioned weeding. We expect everything to be sorted out "at the touch of a button" without giving two hoots for the consequences.
Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gromituk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
coolagarry
Old 13-06-2006, 6:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm sure you're right gromituk. I just haven't got the hang of this 'granny state' mentality.
(Still can't quite work out how me killing weeds on my drive and creosoting my fence caused problems to my drinking water - something to do with saving whales I suppose)
I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
The Following User Says Thank You to coolagarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
perc
Old 13-06-2006, 7:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I cannot pull up the roots by hand as they grow up between my bricked drive so weed killer is the only option (or jet hose but that is now banned )
# 14
hollydays
Old 13-06-2006, 7:54 PM

Anything labelled systemic,for tough weeds
# 15
headcovers
Old 13-06-2006, 7:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
............... I just haven't got the hang of this 'granny state' mentality.
(Still can't quite work out how me killing weeds on my drive and creosoting my fence caused problems to my drinking water - something to do with saving whales I suppose)
I live in Wiltshire and 75% of our water supply comes from underground sources rather than reservoirs.

Hence the sense in reducing the use of strong chemicals on the ground, which can permeate into the underground sources of water.

Plus consider the harm it can do to wildlife
The Following User Says Thank You to headcovers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
tee pee
Old 13-06-2006, 8:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

glyphosate- it is very strong I believe- it is reccommended to help eliminate japanese Knotweed, and that is one tough cookie to get rid of.
# 17
JBsplit
Old 13-06-2006, 9:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sodium Chlorate was very good untill they removed the chemical that made it very usefull for bomb making as it was a favorite of the bad people.

ive always found roundup very good, if its on your brick drive have you tryed one of those blow torch things, it wont kill the little fishys or give you smelly water.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBsplit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
gromituk
Old 14-06-2006, 9:45 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you're right gromituk. I just haven't got the hang of this 'granny state' mentality.
Unfortunately, in an increasingly overpopulated world, we have to start taking some responsibility for our actions at some point.
Quote:
Something to do with the poisons you are releasing being leached into the ground and finding their way into the water supply. Of course they might find their way to the sea instead, and kill a whale or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to gromituk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Wig
Old 14-06-2006, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Well when you're next in your local DIY store look at all those chemicals on the shelves, then imagine how many other shops in the country sell those products too, imagine how much they sell each year, and think where it all goes.

If you have your blood tested you wil find those chemicals are already in you. Through your food and water.

To the OP, if you cut them off with a knife it doesn't matter if they are in between bricks, cut them off and they are gone for a few weeks keep cutting them off and they will eventually die depending how regularly you cut them off.

Knotweed is one of the worst but so is horsetail and glyphosate has no permanent effect on horsetail, it kills off the current foiliage but it will always comeback. I have horsetails under carpets and black polythene in my garden, the carpets have been there for over 4 - 5 years no light gets through and I change the carpets for new ones when required. The only thing that lives under those carpets with no light is horsetail ready to come back to full life when the carpet is removed. I tried glyphosate in a strong solution, I even injected neat glyphosate3000 into the horse tail using a needle and syringe THey have a hollow construction, it has no effect.

Nowadays I don't use weed killer, just carpets, and I know they are questioned for their greenness now but I believe them to be the "most green" method for large areas, well black poly would be maybe the most green but it's not cheap and carpets are free, and black poly eventually cracks and splits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
gromituk
Old 15-06-2006, 10:23 AM

Carpets are a waste product anyway - you could do a lot worse!

Dandelions seem to be killed by breaking them off at the ground and putting a bit of salt on the stump.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gromituk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread