Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Central Trains 5 tickets (over 50s only) (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Central Trains 5 tickets (over 50s only)
Views: 19,361
# 1
maple41
Old 07-06-2006, 5:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile Central Trains 5 tickets (over 50s only)

Starting next week, 15th June until September, Central Trains have brought back the £5 and £10 return tickets between Birmingham, Peterborough, Norwich, Leicester and other places on their network. Sorry - for the over 50s only! Print off the voucher from their website and present it at the ticket office when buying your ticket. Used it myself last summer and it gives fantastic savings as you can use it as often as you like.

Official Insert:

If you're over 50 let the train take the strain from just £5 return. Travel can be from Birmingham, Cambridge, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, Manchester, Norwich, Nottingham, Peterborough and Sheffield to various other destinations on the Central Trains network. The offer's valid until 7 September and the vouchers you print are valid for up to two people.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 13-06-2006 at 4:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maple41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
malcolmwilliamson
Old 14-06-2006, 6:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for this tip.The voucher could save me money on an upcoming trip to Norwich.
Could you please post a link to the relevant Central Lines web page?
I've just visited their site and cannot find the aforementioned voucher.
# 3
trevored
Old 14-06-2006, 7:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Here's the link http://www.centraltrains.co.uk/ then click on the 'over 50?' banner. When you select your destination the voucher will appear.

Last edited by trevored; 14-06-2006 at 7:15 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trevored For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Ken68
Old 14-06-2006, 8:16 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thank you Maple, ideal for me , get off at Manchester to catch one for the Lake District. Should save me about 25.
# 5
crossleydd42
Old 14-06-2006, 4:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's really annoying that only selected places are involved. do they think that OAP's in Gloucester are richer than those in Cambridge or Norwich, for example? Still. good luck to those who CAN use this offer!

"Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
# 6
blowstar
Old 14-06-2006, 6:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The £5 offer applies only to very short journeys, most others are £10 which is still a bargain, but as CrossleyDD42 points out, the routes chosen are highly selective. However, nice to see their threshold for geriatricity starts at 50. I was thinking I'd have to wait till 65 for the best bargains ;-)
# 7
evesham1988la
Old 14-06-2006, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossleydd42
It's really annoying that only selected places are involved. do they think that OAP's in Gloucester are richer than those in Cambridge or Norwich, for example? Still. good luck to those who CAN use this offer!
It's intresting as it looks like you can use it travelling from Birmingham to Gloucester and return... but not... Gloucester to Birmingham and return??
sorry no links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2
# 8
flossy_splodge
Old 15-06-2006, 12:32 AM

Red face Reverse the journey?

Is there any reason why, given that a return ticket is two separate tickets, that you can't use the second half first, if you see what I mean?

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
― John Wooden
# 9
ampersand
Old 15-06-2006, 6:48 AM

expanded thanks to Maple41 and to Trevored - have just clicked and printed sheets for Cambridge/Norwich departures and the route map. It's surely possible to enalrge journeys by, for instance - doing Cambridge to Sheffield, then Sheffield to Cardiff, which only appears from this station...that's if you are happy to meander, without strings or others, which I am. Happy possibilities for serendipitous travel. Thankyou again for this one.
# 10
ampersand
Old 15-06-2006, 7:03 AM

Hello flossy_splodge,
Just noticed no. 8 of T's & C's; it rules out your idea......or does it?

Terms and Conditions
1. The £5/£10 voucher can be exchanged for up to two travel tickets, each at the offer price. The offer is valid for people aged 50 and over, proof of age may be required.
2. Offer valid on the journeys shown between 15 June 2006 and 7 September 2006.
3. The Day Return £5/£10 flat fare offer ticket is valid for outward travel after 9am Monday to Friday and any time at weekends with return travel on the same day. Outward and return travel must be completed by midnight on 7 September 2006.
4. The Period Return £5/£10 flat fare offer ticket is valid for outward travel after 9am Monday to Friday and any time at weekends with return travel within one calendar month. Outward travel can be taken up until midnight on 7 September 2006 with return travel within one calendar month.
5. Railcard discounts are not available with this offer.
6. National Rail Conditions of Carriage and refund rules apply.
7. Photocopies will be accepted.
8. This offer is not available in the reverse direction.
9. The £5/£10 flat fare offer tickets are valid for travel on all operators services on the permitted routes – certain route restrictions apply, please check at time of purchase.
10. Offer is only available on-train when customers board at unstaffed stations.
11. Seat reservations are available on selected journeys on Central Trains services only, check at time of booking. They must be booked by 6pm on the day before departure

Last edited by ampersand; 15-06-2006 at 7:06 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ampersand For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
rdwarr
Old 16-06-2006, 12:33 AM

Does the "Over 50" restriction apply to how old you at the start of the journey or at the end?
Can I help?
# 12
Ken68
Old 16-06-2006, 8:23 AM

I was birth registered as the 30th yet born on the 20th, so lost out on cheap buses and trains AND old age pension.
H.M Government said to get a declaration from any living relative to prove it. For example, birthday parties, that sort of thing.

Whats a birthday party, I said, we never had birthday parties, we were so poor we lived in a hole in the ground, covered by a piece of tarpaulin, but we were happy. :-))
# 13
trevored
Old 17-06-2006, 9:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken68
I was birth registered as the 30th yet born on the 20th, so lost out on cheap buses and trains AND old age pension.
H.M Government said to get a declaration from any living relative to prove it. For example, birthday parties, that sort of thing.

Whats a birthday party, I said, we never had birthday parties, we were so poor we lived in a hole in the ground, covered by a piece of tarpaulin, but we were happy. :-))
You had a tarpaulin?! We had to use a piece of tatty old lino!!
# 14
Ken68
Old 17-06-2006, 1:40 PM

We upgraded to a cardboard box, but we were 'appy.
# 15
Stompa
Old 25-05-2007, 3:01 PM

Does anybody know if Central Trains will be running a similar scheme this year? Nothing on the website yet, I'm probably just being a bit too eager!
Stompa
# 16
Stompa
Old 18-06-2007, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
Does anybody know if Central Trains will be running a similar scheme this year? Nothing on the website yet, I'm probably just being a bit too eager!
Answering my own question, the good news is they are:

http://www.centraltrains.co.uk/templ...s.aspx?id=2274
Stompa
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stompa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
hardpressed
Old 18-06-2007, 10:59 PM

If I understand it correctly I can do Cambridge to Manchester Piccadilly for £10 return, then on to my destination for £9 return, plus £8.60 to get to Cambridge from my local station. Total £27.60 instead of the cheapest fare I can find of two £20 singles. Saving £12.40.
# 18
Stompa
Old 19-06-2007, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpressed View Post
If I understand it correctly I can do Cambridge to Manchester Piccadilly for 10 return, then on to my destination for 9 return, plus 8.60 to get to Cambridge from my local station. Total 27.60 instead of the cheapest fare I can find of two 20 singles. Saving 12.40.
Sounds right to me. The only problem might be the slowness of the trains. I did Cambridge-Nottingham and Cambridge-Birmingham last year and the trains were very slow.
Stompa
# 19
hardpressed
Old 19-06-2007, 11:52 PM

Do you have to travel only on Central trains. Cambridge to Manchester is only partly Central the rest in One railways?
# 20
juno
Old 20-06-2007, 12:02 AM

Yay! I can get rid of my daddy for a while!
Sealed pot challenge #377
Target 125 - 2009 total 117.57
2010 total 151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209