Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Ialwaysgetdone
    How can you claim from Royal Mail for non delivery?
    • 14th Nov 09, 10:43 AM
    How can you claim from Royal Mail for non delivery? 14th Nov 09 at 10:43 AM
    I have sent three items recently all by special delivery guaranteed by 1pm next day. On the Track and Trace it says for one of the items "We can confirm that this item was was delivered by the guaranteed delivery time" but on the other 2 items it merely says "This item has been delivered".

I have been informed by the recipients that these 2 items did not arrive next day by 1PM but how can I prove that to make a claim when Royal Mail are not putting the time online that it was delivered?
Page 1
    • deanos
    • By deanos 14th Nov 09, 6:19 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 5,362 Thanks
    deanos
    • 14th Nov 09, 6:19 PM
    • 14th Nov 09, 6:19 PM
    Yes its a scam that has been going for years if it says "Item has been delivered" you can bet its been delivered late ,happened to me many a time, just ring up and ask if they can track a parcel, give them the tracking number and ask the exact time and date it was delivered, then just ask for a refund they will issue a cheque straight away.
  • Ialwaysgetdone
    • 14th Nov 09, 8:12 PM
    • 14th Nov 09, 8:12 PM
    Can they give you a time? Won't they just look it up on a computer and get the same info as I am getting online?
  • zax47
    • 14th Nov 09, 9:52 PM
    • 14th Nov 09, 9:52 PM
    Their tracking system is not real-time, in fact it often takes several days to have the full correct delivery data.

If you want to make a claim then go to the Royal Mail site - it tells you how to claim.

Here's the claim form (P58);

ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/Inland_P58_form_English_09.pdf

and here's more info on claiming;

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content2?catId=69800733&mediaId=80300735

And here's what you can claim (for delayed delivery on Special Delivery Next Day by 1.00pm Service)

From the FAQs;

"10. What if something goes wrong?
    Please keep your proof of posting receipt. If your item is not delivered on time we’ll refund your money providing you have your proof of posting and claim within 14 days of posting."

The onus is not on you to prove they didn't arrive on time - but on them to prove they did!
    Last edited by zax47; 14-11-2009 at 10:09 PM.
  • Ialwaysgetdone
    • 15th Nov 09, 12:20 AM
    • 15th Nov 09, 12:20 AM
    Their tracking system is not real-time, in fact it often takes several days to have the full correct delivery data.

If you want to make a claim then go to the Royal Mail site - it tells you how to claim.

Here's the claim form (P58);

ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/Inland_P58_form_English_09.pdf

and here's more info on claiming;

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content2?catId=69800733&mediaId=80300735

And here's what you can claim (for delayed delivery on Special Delivery Next Day by 1.00pm Service)

From the FAQs;

"10. What if something goes wrong?
    Please keep your proof of posting receipt. If your item is not delivered on time well refund your money providing you have your proof of posting and claim within 14 days of posting."

The onus is not on you to prove they didn't arrive on time - but on them to prove they did!
    Originally posted by zax47
    Thanks for that. The 'claim within 14 days' has ruled out one of them
    • deanos
    • By deanos 15th Nov 09, 1:20 AM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 5,362 Thanks
    deanos
    • 15th Nov 09, 1:20 AM
    • 15th Nov 09, 1:20 AM
    You dont need to fill in a claim form, they do it on the phone straight awayand can see the time it was delivered , ive claimed for late SD delivey many a time, all been done on the phone.
  • moneysavingexpert79
    • 15th Nov 09, 2:36 AM
    • 15th Nov 09, 2:36 AM
    You dont need to fill in a claim form, they do it on the phone straight awayand can see the time it was delivered , ive claimed for late SD delivey many a time, all been done on the phone.
    Originally posted by deanos
    True, but you need to phone an 0871 number which costs money, or you can send it to a freepost address.
    Success and failure is determined by effort.
  • jd87
    • 15th Nov 09, 2:47 AM
    • 15th Nov 09, 2:47 AM
    You can get the claim form from the post office and give it back to the post office to send off. No need to waste money on printing, envelopes or phone calls.

You don't need to prove that it arrived late. There is a space on the form to put what time it arrived, but if you don't know I'm sure you can just leave it blank. The main thing is the tracking reference number. As long as you have this, that will be all the info they need.

• Ialwaysgetdone
    • 15th Nov 09, 10:22 AM
    • 15th Nov 09, 10:22 AM
    You can get the claim form from the post office and give it back to the post office to send off. No need to waste money on printing, envelopes or phone calls.

You don't need to prove that it arrived late. There is a space on the form to put what time it arrived, but if you don't know I'm sure you can just leave it blank. The main thing is the tracking reference number. As long as you have this, that will be all the info they need.
    Originally posted by jd87
    and fill it in at the PO with their pen for extra money saving

is it likely that all the "this item has been delivered" ones that don't give a time when you check online are all late deliveries?

It's no wonder the royal mail are in such a mess if they are paying out more than they are making on next day parcel deliveries
    • deanos
    • By deanos 15th Nov 09, 10:59 AM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 5,362 Thanks
    deanos
    is it likely that all the "this item has been delivered" ones that don't give a time when you check online are all late deliveries?
    Originally posted by Ialwaysgetdone

Very likely !
    • deanos
    • By deanos 17th Nov 09, 1:17 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 5,362 Thanks
    deanos
    Got a special delivery due today, its now 13:14 so its late, be intresting to see what i get on the tracker !
    • deanos
    • By deanos 17th Nov 09, 6:38 PM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 5,362 Thanks
    deanos
    "Your item has been delivered" what a surprise :rolleyes:
  • Ialwaysgetdone
    "Your item has been delivered" what a surprise :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by deanos
    Ha, a surprise indeed
  • Ialwaysgetdone
    There is no number that you can phone to check the date and time of your delivery. The only number is 08459 272100 and it is not a real person just a machine called Sarah :rolleyes:, you just speak the reference number into the phone and it tells you "your item has been delivered" it does not give a date or time so I don't see how they can issue you a check there and then :confused:. It's just the exact same info as you get from the website.

One of my items has ''been delivered'' but doesn't have an electronic proof of delivery signature
    • deanos
    • By deanos 21st Nov 09, 10:46 AM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 5,362 Thanks
    deanos
    You just press 1 or something and it puts you through to an operator, of just keep pressing the hash key
  • Ialwaysgetdone
    I tried every option. to get a refund you need to send in a copy of your receipt as well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

557Posts Today

4,141Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • On way to @GMB for my 7:40 Deals of the Week, which incl don't bin AI scene letter, Amazon voucher, free make up, free photo prints and more

• Ever watched storage hunters? Now you can do it yourself, with lost luggage auctions... http://t.co/kxINkGPQa4

• MSE Big Energy Switch III: Cheaper than the cheapest energy, save £280/yr + £30 cashback + 1,500 clubcard pts.... http://t.co/f5JfF6T9Aa

• Follow Martin