Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Cash Generator Cheque Cashing (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cash Generator Cheque Cashing
Closed Thread
Views: 8,305
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
bluemooner
Old 13-11-2009, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10
Default Cash Generator Cheque Cashing

Hi All

I am not sure if this is the right place to be put here goes.

I went into Cash generator to cash a personal cheque, I have a Guarantee Card and ID. Now they wanted 120 per cheque (I wanted 3) now my Guarantee Card is only for 100. I didnt get this. Anyway they phoned up some place Transax? they wouldn't authorise it.

I am just wondering if anyone knows why and why they wouldnt just cash for a lesser amount.

Thanks in advance
bluemooner is offline
Report Post
# 2
Bosie
Old 13-11-2009, 8:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,193
Red face

Hi Bluemooner, a few year's ago when I was badly in debt I use to use cash generator. What they did then, they would say, we will give you up to your cheque guarantee level, mine was 100.
They would then deduct their fees, which at that time was about 12.
So I got back 88! So on 3 cheques they would have deducted 36.
Therefore on 3 100 cheques = 300, less 36 fee = 264 in your hand

I don't know your circumstances but be very careful with this service.
Cheers to clean files
Bosie is offline
Report Post
# 3
chambta
Old 13-11-2009, 9:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,413
Default

Presumably you don't have the funds in the account so you can add on any bank charges you will get. Plus banks get very jumpy at customers using these types of services and you may find that very quickly your card fails to work.
chambta is offline
Report Post
# 4
stclair
Old 13-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemooner View Post
Hi All

I am not sure if this is the right place to be put here goes.

I went into Cash generator to cash a personal cheque, I have a Guarantee Card and ID. Now they wanted 120 per cheque (I wanted 3) now my Guarantee Card is only for 100. I didnt get this. Anyway they phoned up some place Transax? they wouldn't authorise it.

I am just wondering if anyone knows why and why they wouldnt just cash for a lesser amount.

Thanks in advance
Transax is a cheque guarantee service, which provides protection against bad debt, fraud, and all other risks associated with accepting cheques. A cheque from a customer where the guarantee card limit is exceeded is an act of faith.
stclair is offline
Report Post
# 5
bluemooner
Old 13-11-2009, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosie View Post
Hi Bluemooner, a few year's ago when I was badly in debt I use to use cash generator. What they did then, they would say, we will give you up to your cheque guarantee level, mine was 100.
They would then deduct their fees, which at that time was about 12.
So I got back 88! So on 3 cheques they would have deducted 36.
Therefore on 3 100 cheques = 300, less 36 fee = 264 in your hand

I don't know your circumstances but be very careful with this service.
Thanks very much. The lady in the shop said I have to write the cheques for 120 each. I explained that my Card is only 100 limit which is fine. The money would have been in to cover it when it came out on 11th December she said it would of been. I did ask cant they just deduct their fees from the cheque but she said there is nothing they can do if Transax have refused it.

I have never done anything like this before and dont really know how it works but even I wouldnt guarantee a cheque for over the card limit. Could it be no funds in my account? My card was declined by o2 on a credit check and the guy in the shop said it was because I didnt have 1.01 in the bank to process the card. I went back the day after when I had money in and it went through fine. Could that be why?
bluemooner is offline
Report Post
# 6
Bosie
Old 14-11-2009, 2:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,193
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemooner View Post
Thanks very much. The lady in the shop said I have to write the cheques for 120 each. I explained that my Card is only 100 limit which is fine. The money would have been in to cover it when it came out on 11th December she said it would of been. I did ask cant they just deduct their fees from the cheque but she said there is nothing they can do if Transax have refused it.

I have never done anything like this before and dont really know how it works but even I wouldnt guarantee a cheque for over the card limit. Could it be no funds in my account? My card was declined by o2 on a credit check and the guy in the shop said it was because I didnt have 1.01 in the bank to process the card. I went back the day after when I had money in and it went through fine. Could that be why?
Hi Bluemooner - can't understand why she wants you to write a cheque for 120, cos the guarantee is only for 100. It wouldn't be guaranteed! The bank wouldn't have to pay it
As mentioned, they normally just deduct their fees and I guess now they probably charge more.
I really got myself in trouble with this service and had to borrow off a friend to bail me out, as I owed about 4 cheques.......

Regarding 02, they do take out a minimal amount, mainly to prove the card is valid, so if you had a nil balance, it probably would be declined.

Have you got a credit card? Because a cash advance would be cheaper than cash generator.

I think Transax (think that belongs to Equifax) would decline it because it's not a straight 100, she should of asked you to write 2 checks, one for 100 and the other for 20. I sometimes used to do 2 cheques, one say for 100 and the other for say 50. I think the woman in the shop didn't know what she was doing!

Best of luck
Cheers to clean files

Last edited by Bosie; 14-11-2009 at 2:06 AM.
Bosie is offline
Report Post
# 7
michael1983l
Old 14-11-2009, 2:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,665
Default

I really must advise against using these services as it creates a progressive debt as next month you will be short and probably borrow again adding on more charges. But if you are sure there are payday advance websites out there that will do it based on your debit card. I think quick quid is one of them. Caution when using these services because this is how people end up in ddebt problems. I think they charge 25 interest per 100 borrowed over a 30 day period. If you apply on a working day before a certain time they put it into your bank account that day.

Please think carefully before using these services it got me into alot of trouble.
michael1983l is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 6:01 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 16 April 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Weekly email:Free breaking bad, top shares ISA, HOT bband deal ending, 2.5% cash ISA, Tesco wine sale, £10 champers.. h?
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Ovivo closure: MSE?s reported the mobile firm to authorities. If you?ve been affected, here?s how you can complain http?
  • Right switching off Twitter now. Going back offline. Thanks to those of both sides tweets for making it a more enjoyable watch.

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 87
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSULTIMATE CLUB ANTHEMS
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSFROZEN (ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.