Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > cost of running electric blanket (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
cost of running electric blanket
Views: 30,024
# 1
Zaklt
Old 08-11-2009, 6:03 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default cost of running electric blanket

anyone knows the answer ?

thx
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Andy_WSM
Old 08-11-2009, 7:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Pennies.

Assuming 60W load (may be slightly higher or lower, but not far off this) & 11p/Kwh electricity price. You're looking at under half a pence per hour to run it.

Most electric blankets have a thermostatic or variable control anyway, so in reality, even less to run than the figure above.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy_WSM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
moonrakerz
Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

" Running costs will vary of course according to usage and your current electricity provider tariff but typically they can be around 3 - 5 pence per night. All night electric blankets are safe economical and comfortable."

I think they are great - so does the cat !
The Following User Says Thank You to moonrakerz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
NeverInDebt
Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 AM

So does the bed bugs
The Following User Says Thank You to NeverInDebt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Fire Fox
Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverInDebt View Post
So does the bed bugs
Not if you air the bed properly and use pillow and mattress protectors!
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
# 6
Zaklt
Old 09-11-2009, 5:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

ordered one on ebay yesterday ! can't wait !
# 7
Maz
Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Best thing I ever bought.

Makes it even harder to get out of bed on wintery mornings tho'..............:rolleyes:
The Following User Says Thank You to Maz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
dannymccann
Old 09-11-2009, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We got ours from Argos, 20 in the sale for a branded double one, the lead even comes off it so it can in the washing machine!. The lead is a little short but I put it on high 30 minutes before bed and its proper toasty. Put the energy monitor on it and on its highest setting (its not far from burning honestly, its uncomfortably warm for me but the missus loves it hot) it uses 35w

Once we are in bed it gets turned off, your bodyheat should keep the bed warm from then on, no need to leave it on all night unless you are elderly, in that case leave it on low setting and it will probably cost only 1p a night.

As said, one of the best things we've bought, and so cheap and easy to use.
# 9
strawberries1
Old 31-10-2010, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi All, I've never used an electric blanket but I intend to buy one as soon as I'm sure which to buy. So does it mean electric blankets cause or increase the tendency of having bed bugs?
Thank you.
# 10
bruceyb3
Old 01-11-2010, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

You either have or have not bed bugs. It would take couple weeks of very cold weather, and I mean, continously, to kill them. W/o an electric blanket but sleeping in a bed where there are bed bugs nearby means they get their warmth and food and they will thrive. Having an electric blanket would not make matters any worse. IMHO.
# 11
falcon9
Old 16-11-2011, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am a first time electric blanket user and had been using hot water bottles for ages. I was a bit hesitant about its quality and running cost but later come to realize it's cheap to run and jumping into a warm bed is very comfortable. Why didn't I purchase this technology earlier I keep asking myself? Electric blanket is indeed a great value for money. Bed bugs issue is entirely a personal hygiene matter. There's no evidence that bed bugs owe their source to E. blanket or that having E. blanket could increase bed bugs' population. You can get rid of the buds invested bed and contact your local council environmental team to spray your room to avoid re-infestation.
# 12
Ben84
Old 17-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Determining the energy consumption of anything thermostatically controlled is difficult as you can't just look at the wattage printed on the appliance as for these devices. It's a maximum rather than actual figure. During use the element will be turning on and off repeatedly to maintain the temperature based on the setting you're using, how warm the room is, how much heat you're making and how quickly it's being lost. However, despite this difficulty I can still say electric blankets are cheap to use. An appliance cannot consume more electricity that the wattage printed on it and the maximum wattage of most electric blankets is pretty low, around 40-100w and even if we assumed a continuous consumption at this wattage, it's similar to a light bulb and you would get many hours use from a single kW. The actual amount, particularly if you make the effort to put a thick blanket on the bed so the heat isn't escaping too fast should be many more hours.

I wouldn't advise going for lower wattage electric blankets to save money, as because they're thermostatically controlled they should all regardless of wattage consume the same energy to maintain the same temperature. Higher wattage blankets will however heat up faster and will be able to attain higher temperatures if you want them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
HappyMJ
Old 17-11-2011, 11:11 AM

They are not thermostatically controlled. At least I've not seen one manufactured recently that is. My blanket has what is called a rheostat. A rheostat is a variable resistor for regulating the current. It does not have anything to do with temperature. It has 4 settings 0,1,2 or 3. Setting 3 uses 90W all the time. Setting 2 uses 60W and setting 1 uses 30W. Setting 0 is off.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Ben84
Old 17-11-2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMJ View Post
They are not thermostatically controlled. At least I've not seen one manufactured recently that is. My blanket has what is called a rheostat. A rheostat is a variable resistor for regulating the current. It does not have anything to do with temperature. It has 4 settings 0,1,2 or 3. Setting 3 uses 90W all the time. Setting 2 uses 60W and setting 1 uses 30W. Setting 0 is off.
Interesting, my one says something about thermostat control on the box, but this is only one example. Or maybe it's just describing itself misleadingly?
# 15
HappyMJ
Old 17-11-2011, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben84 View Post
Interesting, my one says something about thermostat control on the box, but this is only one example. Or maybe it's just describing itself misleadingly?
It will be misleading...

This is what I have http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s|14417924.htm

It says in the description on the Argos website that it has an "Auto adjusting sensor maintains chosen temperature throughout the night". It doesn't. It's either on or off. If you turn it on in summer it will still heat the bed up...and be very hot.
# 16
chris1973
Old 17-11-2011, 7:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've used Electric Blankets all of my life and i've never had a case of bedbugs, perhaps i'm just lucky or maybe its just idle gossip, rumour and bandwagon scaremongering, spread around largely by people who've never actually owned one!.

I'm sure there are also many cases of bedbugs out there where the beds in question have never been close to an Electric Blanket.

A 100W double electric blanket will use no more than 1KW/H (1 unit) of Electricity for a 10 hour period, single bed models will use less, averaging around 50w - 75w

Either way, its likely to work out cheaper than constantly trying to heat the air and then you through the duvet.

I use the Electric Blanket and run a fan heater briefly for 5 - 10 minutes in the mornings when I get up, total cost of that works out at no more than about 8p a day. Yes, i'm on an E7 Tariff, but even on a standard tariff it would be no more than about 16p. Running the storage heater in the room in comparison would cost me around 1 a night for a full 7 hour 'charge'!, so effectively i'm saving about 92p a day, and i'm actually far warmer with the Elec blanket at any given time in the middle of the night than I would be from the heat given off a half 'charged' storage heater!
"Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
# 17
Pincher
Old 18-11-2011, 12:28 AM

I wonder if it's viable to do a USB version.
For people who spend too much time at the desk.

When you sit down, plug into the front USB of a desktop or tower PC, or a powered USB hub. No need to turn the central heating on.
What happens if you push this button?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pincher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
MillicentBystander
Old 18-11-2011, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincher View Post
I wonder if it's viable to do a USB version.
For people who spend too much time at the desk.

When you sit down, plug into the front USB of a desktop or tower PC, or a powered USB hub. No need to turn the central heating on.

Last edited by MillicentBystander; 18-11-2011 at 8:17 AM.
# 19
Leon W
Old 18-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Leon W

I was a late adopter of this technology

I would never be without one now. It really does cost pennies to run and through last years cold winter was a godsend. I don't like a hot bedroom so very rarely bother with any heating at all in this room, but the bed is always toasty warm.
# 20
jaylu
Old 19-11-2011, 9:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I sleep on the floor of my flat and am looking to use an electric blanket for the first time this year to save money.

However I am a bit cautious about doing so as I have noticed when I put my bed away in the mornings there is condensation on my carry mat and the underside of my foam mattress is damp.

Does anyone know if my using an electric blanket would be a hazard? Or would the heat from the blanket keep things dry? Or would it actually make things worse?

I have some understanding that the condensation is caused by warm air meeting cold and there being no ventilation but my limited grasp of science can't work this out

For info my bed consists of a carry mat, on top of that goes the foam mattress, then a mattress cover and then my duvet.

I would be grateful for any thoughts!